• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

I seriously feel stupid right now.

Yeah I was talking about some other character, but still I think Freya is better than Hestia.😏

woah woah wait, i thought you were talking about that horny goddess in danmachi lol, my bad. i do find her annoying but she's a character that provides that little annoying every show needs lol

Screw Freya, how many more times is she going tto try and kill Hestia and Bell?

Meanwhile, at the Satelight offices:
CF0xPKQVAAQzO-4.jpg
Must be guarding the elevator to Kawamori's lair.

B Gata was a lot of fun. I love childish crude humor, so it kept me very entertained. Plus, the whole set up with her being the super awkward, but highly aggressive one was hilarious in itself.

Seitokai Yakuendomo huh. What's this one about? I'll have to look it up.
SYD is awesome, but that's been said already. It's Girls Tell Dirty Jokes: The Show. There IS a bit of plot holding it together, but it's mostly about dirty jokes.

I'm going to o start Little Busters soon as I've heard it's pretty good, plus it has baseball in it, so it's a bonus, lol. Now, in regards to Clannad if you like Slice of life dramas, this is a serious must watch, and must post/share. The first season may be slow at times, however, it is one big set up for Clannad After Story which was amazing. I mean a complete whirlwind of events and emotions. So much so that the last 8-10 episodes should be watched back to survive.
I might give Clannad another try sometime. I know a lot of people like it.

DEATH™;164405739 said:
About your criticism about danmachi, I think you are way too dismissive about it. I mean, first you don't have to see the motivation of being an adventurer if that's a way of earning big money, which is established in the show. Char development is actually better than what I have expected. I do think it just annoys you more that it's an JRPG setting than the actual quality itself.
I'd say I'm being appropriately dismissive, it's far from a good series for sure... sure, the RPG setting is an issue, but so are the way the characters act (I don't like many of them much), the (bad) writing, etc.

I can't blame you because of SAO lol.
Well, it is better than the complete garbage that is SAO, I'll give you that; Danmachi is just generic and bad, it's not on SAO's level of atrocious.

just angry log horizon doesn't have danmachi's production values

danmachi seems relatively inoffensive for what it is. i might watch more, but i wasn't exactly hooked (except the gorgeous looking backgrounds and, well, hestia)
Log Horizon with SAO's production values would be so amazing, why can't we have good things like that... :( At least Log Horizon has several seasons, though, that's good at least.

I would have definitely SAO or Danmachi's production values in a show like Log Horizon thats for sure.
Unfortunately shows with any actual quality don't sell well enough to earn that kind of budget, clearly.

You might also like to check out Burn Up W, Bubblegum Crisis, and Youre Under Arrest.
Yeah, You're Under Arrest is great! There are several seasons of the anime, and a manga too, and it's all pretty good. The anime does get formulaic, though, and there's an edge to the early parts of the manga that you won't find in the anime, it's interesting to compare them. Still, the anime's great fun. They should make another season sometime. :)

On another note I have to say a bit in response to the Escaflowne discussion (because I love the show!), so...
I don't think the plot's very complicated mechanically. Each stop on the journey is where Van tries to drum up support to help him against the Zaibach Empire in vengeance for the destruction of Fanelia; at the point you're up to he's been to Asturia and Freid, right? The events that play out there are either due to Asturia being in cahoots with Zaibach already or the Power that Freid possesses being a target for Zaibach as well. Of course there are big character details along the way but that's the basic mechanics of it. I don't have scripts to hand to point to individual lines to support the argument, and admittedly I'm biased as a huge fan of the show, but I don't find it all that hard to follow.
I agree with you that the basic plot is fairly simple, but it is true that thanks to the fast pace some things can be hard to follow sometimes. And of course, the show goes crazy later on... not that that's bad, it's part of the charm of the show really, that it's as crazy as it is while also being really good all the time.

What other reaction do you think she shows when she says "first a wolf man, now a cat girl" with a look of total disbelief on her face in episode 2?

I'd also suggests she gets fear out of the way when she's chased by a giant fire breathing dragon in the first episode, or when they're surrounded by the wolf men on arrival on Gaia at the end of the same episode.

In episode 2, one of the first things she does is ask "what's the Mystic Moon?". True, she isn't asking endless questions - but does she really need to? Very little exposition is required at this stage in the series, and all the important questions get asked later.

I think Hitomi is just resigned to the situation fairly quickly, honestly. Perhaps it's a flaw that she doesn't say it out loud, I don't know, but her attitude in the daydreaming section you don't like very much would suggest that she just thinks she's stuck there.
Yeah, she does get used to the other world quickly, but yeah, seriously, with how fast things are moving, what other choice did she have? She barely arrives and they're already being attacked constantly! You'd better get used to it fast.

Absolutely. She's POV without being the protagonist much of the time. Not sure I'd agree she's bland, but then my perception is coloured by my overall viewing of the show so can't really comment there.
Yeah, I never minded that she is more of a POV character than an active protagonist, how she is fits the show well. It's a super fast-paced show, maybe in the 39-episode version there would be time for them to stop and have her actually think about things. :p

I appreciate the fact that you took the time to respond my queries, but rather than address all of them I'll just respond to a few.

These are all things which she acclimatises too almost instantly and that rings very hollow, not only from a character standpoint but from the experiences that human beings have. There's never any breathing room for her to settle into the world and react appropriately, they just toss out a couple of lines of dialogue as if that's the same as having a character actually come to grips with their situation.
If they were ever planning to do a slower acclimation to the fantasy world, I'm sure that went out the window with the shortened number of episodes. But characters in this kind of "modern person goes to a fantasy world" often acclimate quickly (and this is a popular genre!), so I guess I'm used to things going not too differently from this. I'm sure there are exceptions, but how Escaflowne did it didn't seem too unusual... but its constant focus on plot, action, and drama with no time to breathe is somewhat uncommon, if another result of the cut number of episodes.

Once again, I think we have pretty fundamentally different expectations of human behaviour. The way that Hitomi integrates herself into a completely foreign and magical world feels completely unbelievable. What's worse, is that they give her certain character aspects you'd expect from a teenager, such as all her romance stuff but fail to give her any other characteristic of a teenager in a crazy, presumably stressful situation.
The whole basic concept of the show is a series that has both shoujo romance and shonen action, so yeah, I would hope that there would be a romance element... but I don't see how this is hurt by the setting or her limited reactions to the world, not that she has none either as BluWacky pointed out.

I bring this up purely in terms of her place within the story. It just feels like of wrong to me that she's given these abilities e.g. her ability to predict the future, or her athleticism, and it feels like she only has these to further the plot for other (male) characters rather than achieve some goal of her own.
Van is the one with the quest, so the part of this that is true makes sense. And anyway, keep watching, more stuff will happen.

The only character who doesn't feel poorly written because they actually act like a human being pursuing their own interests, is Merle.
Finish the show and you should be thinking differently here... but really, Merle?

Ok, finally took a look at the Summer lineup. Here's what I have so far -

In for the Long Haul

Dragon Ball Super - Here we go again!
Prison School - A great adaptation of this will be amazing. I really hope we get it
Monster Musume - FINALLY.
Non Non Biyori S2 - I really liked the comfiness of S1, so I'm looking forward to this.
Gatchaman Crowds S2 - <:
IM@S Cinderella Girls Second half - Might as well finish this for the cute girls.
Symphogear S3 - Might as well now, I suppose.

Will give a look

God Eater - Looks like it could be cool and have Sakuga, from what I understand story sucks so it will be better then UBW in at least one way
Gangsta - I don't know what this is about.
Overlord - Isn't the MC a skeleton in this? In for that alone
Shimoneta to Iu Gainen ga Sonzai Shinai Taikutsu na Sekai - This looks to be a show about ecchi terrorists or some shit, neat
To-Love-Ru Darkness S2 - I'm not sure if I actually want to see this animated yet.
Ushio and Tora - With JoJo Stardust Crusaders and HxH over, I'm gonna need my shonen fill. Apparently this is pretty good?

Has to impress me or it'll be dropped

Jitsu wa Watashi wa - I like the manga but the anime designs don't fill me with confidence.
Aquarion Logos - I've never seen Aquarion but apparently it's bad?

Everything else I will wait for impressions. Curious to what other people are looking forward to. Hooray for making bad decisions and watching too much garbage instead of Gintama again

Ok, finally took a look at the Summer lineup. Here's what I have so far -

In for the Long Haul

Dragon Ball Super - Here we go again!
Prison School - A great adaptation of this will be amazing. I really hope we get it
Monster Musume - FINALLY.
Non Non Biyori S2 - I really liked the comfiness of S1, so I'm looking forward to this.
Gatchaman Crowds S2 - <:
IM@S Cinderella Girls Second half - Might as well finish this for the cute girls.
Symphogear S3 - Might as well now, I suppose.

Will give a look

God Eater - Looks like it could be cool and have Sakuga, from what I understand story sucks so it will be better then UBW in at least one way
Gangsta - I don't know what this is about.
Overlord - Isn't the MC a skeleton in this? In for that alone
Shimoneta to Iu Gainen ga Sonzai Shinai Taikutsu na Sekai - This looks to be a show about ecchi terrorists or some shit, neat
To-Love-Ru Darkness S2 - I'm not sure if I actually want to see this animated yet.
Ushio and Tora - With JoJo Stardust Crusaders and HxH over, I'm gonna need my shonen fill. Apparently this is pretty good?

Has to impress me or it'll be dropped

Jitsu wa Watashi wa - I like the manga but the anime designs don't fill me with confidence.
Aquarion Logos - I've never seen Aquarion but apparently it's bad?

Everything else I will wait for impressions. Curious to what other people are looking forward to. Hooray for making bad decisions and watching too much garbage instead of Gintama again

Gangsta is basically like Gintama being oddjobers except that it's dark and serious and it isn't as lighthearted like Gintama. Plus it has sign language in it.

I'm pretty much hyped for Gangsta the most.

Puruzi

Banned
Summer:
Monster Musume
Bikini Warriors
Prison School
Jitsu Wa
Gatchaman Crowds Insight
Shimoneta to Iu Gainen ga Sonzai Shinai Taikutsu na Sekai
Prisma&#9734;Illya S3
Dragin Ball Super
TLR Darkness 2nd
Venus Project

Damn there's alot of anime I wanna watch in summer.

wonzo

Banned
summer:

umaru x dogakobo tier

umaru

summer.png

should own tier

WOOSER
TEEKYU
aria
pervert revolution *nsfw*
prison school
ushio & tora (might just read the manga for this instead tbh)
gatchaman crowds s2~ssu (need to watch the s1 bd's for all the fixes~ssu)

might b good tier

ranpo thing
non non biyori (will watch s1 first)
monmusu
gangsta (manga sounds kinda dumb but w/e)

"jun maeda" tier for laughable garbage most likely to be put on a pedestal

charlotte
jitsu wa

Jintor

Only thing that is a confirmed for me is Non Non Biyori s2. I'll check everything else but I think I want to read Prison School first.

wait is Umaru out in summer? that's a thing i'll watch

Super excite

Ushio to Tora
Symphogear 3

Excite
Prison School
Monster Musume
Dragon Ball Super

Curious

Gate
Gatchaman
Aquarion Logos

Fuck

Jitsu wa
TLRD2

jgminto

I'll probably check out:

Himouto! Umaru-chan
Prison School
Gangsta
Maybe Dragon Ball if it isn't shit (lol)

Problem is everything looks generic as hell at a glance so it's really difficult to tell what's worth giving a shit about at all. I'll just let everyone else sift through the shit first.

I have a deep connection with Dragon Ball so I will watch it to the end no matter how bad or long it is

I legitimately love the series. I hope I can see Resurrection of F in a theater or something.

Gangsta

God am I so hyped for the Gangsta manga adaption. I really hope Manglobe does justice to the series, I mean they definitely got the atmosphere down.

Others shows I'll watch are...

Ushio
Dragon Ball Super
Umaru-chan
God Eater
Prison School
Monster Musume
Non Non Biyori once I finish season 1

Maybe will watch...

Jitsu wa Watashi
Dragon Anime
Charlotte
Gate

jbug617

Banned
Summer:

Fate/kaleid liner Prisma&#9734;Illya 2wei Herz!
Gangsta
Himouto! Umaru-chan
Jitsu wa Watashi wa
Prison School
Non Non Biyori Repeat
Monster Musume
Working!!!

Crocodile

@Aqua: Are you hyped for Gantsa because you've actually read the manga? The show looks very appealing to me but I haven't read the manga so my hype is just based on setting, aesthetics, etc. Is the story there to back that up?

Eleuin

So is prison school gonna be alright?

I remember someone posting that the lack of info so close to airing was concerning, or something along those lines lol

@Aqua: Are you hyped for Gantsa because you've actually read the manga? The show looks very appealing to me but I haven't read the manga so my hype is just based on setting, aesthetics, etc. Is the story there to back that up?

I've read a bit of the series, but from what I've read it's really good. Now I'm not saying it's holy crap amazing, but it's really good for what it offers. All the characters are highly enjoyable and fun. Though it does get really serious and depressing at times. Plus like I said earlier I'm really excited to see how they handle the Sign Language segments. The series is kinda like Black Lagoon if you want to compare it to something.

Whether all this turns out great is up to Manglobe, but from the trailer I saw they definitely got the atmosphere down.

Even if you don't get info you don't know for sure until it airs, so why worry?

Considering that Prison School has amazing art and if the animation ends up being full of quality then it will be disappointing. Plus censoring will ruin it if it's handled terribly. Also if the comedy isn't executed properly then the anime will just turn into mindless ecchi shit. So there is definitely a lot to worry.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I can see the manga transition, all those faces were probably one panel each. But most of the time they would be done super fast, and do the thing where each one is in a little slice and it filled up the screen. It's hard to find an example since there's no name for it.

Believe the proper term is "Persona All-Out Attack".

Crocodile

Not even the funniest example in World Trigger.

http://a.pomf.se/ijaeiq.webm

That...........was kind of soul crushing. Like I feel this deserves an Animewasamistake.gif not because it was offensive but because it wasn't even fucking animation. I even thought the webm froze of a second :/

I've read a bit of the series, but from what I've read it's really good. Now I'm not saying it's holy crap amazing, but it's really good for what it offers. All the characters are highly enjoyable and fun. Though it does get really serious and depressing at times. Plus like I said earlier I'm really excited to see how they handle the Sign Language segments. The series is kinda like Black Lagoon if you want to compare it to something.

Whether all this turns out great is up to Manglobe, but from the trailer I saw they definitely got the atmosphere down.

Ah I see, cool. I was getting "Black Lagoon"-esqe vibes too which is part of the reason I'm looking forward to it. Anime this year has been a bit of a bust compared to last year so I'm hoping the summer season picks things up :)

Summer Tier List

Super Excited to Watch
Gakkou Gurashi!
Himouto! Umaru-chan
Prision School
Monster Musume
Working 3

Super Excited to Watch but there is a 95% chance the studio fucks it up
Jitsu wa Watashi wa

Will Watch/Try
Akagami no Shirayuki-hime
Chaos Dragon: Sekiryuu Sen'eki
Gangsta
The Gate
Overlord
Rokka no Yuusha
Okusama ga Seitokaicho!

Will Watch When it Comes out in 2016
Dragon Ball totally not summer 2015.

Might Try
Aoharu x Kikanjuu
Charlotte
Joukamachi no Dandelion

That...........was kind of soul crushing. Like I feel this deserves an Animewasamistake.gif not because it was offensive but because it wasn't even fucking animation. I even thought the webm froze of a second :/

Ah I see, cool. I was getting "Black Lagoon"-esqe vibes too which is part of the reason I'm looking forward to it. Anime this year has been a bit of a bust compared to last year so I'm hoping the summer season picks things up :)

So far the only shows this Spring that has really appealed to me are Kekkai Sensen, Arslan Senki, and Gintama. Kekkai Sensen has become my surprise hit of the season and if the end turns out great it will definitely be in my top 10 AOTY list.

I really hope Manglobe adapts Gangsta very well.

Crocodile

Can somebody explain to me what the series with the chibi-Saber in the bear suit is supposed to be about and why people are hype for it? I know nothing about it.

Jintor

Considering that Prison School has amazing art and if the animation ends up being full of quality then it will be disappointing. Plus censoring will ruin it if it's handled terribly. Also if the comedy isn't executed properly then the anime will just turn into mindless ecchi shit. So there is definitely a lot to worry.

my point is that it doesn't matter whether or not you worry, you're not getting the anime any faster

So kind of stemming from a conversation about Jex about the lack of subs and good quality subs for Shin-chan, is there anything you can think of that you would like to see but can't for whatever reason?

I've been meaning to make a post for a while about this but never got around to it. For me it would have to be the 2007 JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Phantom Blood Movie. That's right, a movie for Part 1, made for the series' 25th anniversary. I doubt a lot of people even know it exists, considering it was poorly received by fans and Araki himself, and thus was never officially released. Anywhere. You can't get it. All that apparently exists (believe me, I have looked) is a low quality clip of the first 16 minutes. This movie is the reason I say we are lucky to have gotten the amazing DP adaptations at all, considering the failure was only 5 years ago and a full adaptation was never attempted at all before that.

Now I'm such a huge JoJo fan that this elusive lost movie has me so curious, despite it's notorious awfulness. From the people who did see it, the main reasons seemed to be:

• The character, Robert Edward O Speedwagon, one of Araki's favorite characters, was almost removed from the story entirely, appearing only during the Ogre Street battle.
  • The characters Poco, Dire, and Straizo were also not featured. Naturally, this means that Dire does not throw the hamon rose.
  • The concept of Hamon was not explained clearly.
  • The movie was too short (Approx. 90 minutes), condensed, and basically "destroyed the original story".

The designs are interesting, clearly a different approach then the OVA or the TV series.

Crocodile

So far the only shows this Spring that has really appealed to me are Kekkai Sensen, Arslan Senki, and Gintama. Kekkai Sensen has become my surprise hit of the season and if the end turns out great it will definitely be in my top 10 AOTY list.

I really hope Manglobe adapts Gangsta very well.

How good a show is is rated on my scale of "how badly do I want to see the next episode".
This season only BBB and Jojo met that mark. Soma has been fine. I watched the first 3 episodes of Arslan and it was fine but I feel like it should have been a lot better than it was given the pedigree. It was nice to see some relatively grounded fantasy but it never blew me away. I'll return to it but I'm in no rush. Everything else is kind of whatever :/ I feel Spring from last year was much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom