• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hamchan

Funimation seriously has the worst fucking website. Been trying to renew my subscription but has me on an endless loop of:

Click subscribe > Choose which plan > Looks like youre not logged in! > Log in, get sent back to my profile page > Back to #1

Do these guys want my money or not? Jesus christ.

Speaking of Funimation, the website says my current subscription is until 2017 but checking my emails and bank statement, I swear I only paid for 1 year. I guess this is a good thing.

World Trigger Episode 31
tumblr_nouioxsJLj1qbb4ago1_540.gif

Shinoda finally gets involved and it feels much longer than the manga made it. Which isnt bad because getting him all this time against Enedora has been fun. I also loved the Yuma v Mr Viza continuing. All of Yuma's seals are pretty epic, as well as Mr Viza's sword AOE.

tumblr_nottvejNTM1uo77uno1_540.gif

The more Cyan the better. She is a joy.

She is. The only solution is for Cyan to join SHINGANCRIMSONZ.

Speaking of Funimation, the website says my current subscription is until 2017 but checking my emails and bank statement, I swear I only paid for 1 year. I guess this is a good thing.

Yeah, I cancelled the older monthly plan I was on a few months ago, and I still had it for the next month without being charged lol. I wont cause a stink about this though haha.

Squishy3

So yeah, it's actually more a case of poor looping rather than "lol toei" sadly. The kick off the wall is the beginning of the gif. The drastic clash of the wall background in the air and the wall he slides down still exists, though.

Where is this from? Lol.
It's from World Trigger. It's also the ending scene of the episode it's from.

Just watched the first episode of Soma. Is there foodgasm in every episode? Because that's too goddamn much. Also, it seems like there's a lot of fan service.

Will non-shit Toei ever come back?

Truly a smart way to save budget.

Where is this from? Lol.

We'll find out, come Dragon Ball Super in the Summer.

For Toei it's definitely not budget and just time constraints. Working on multiple long running series (One Piece, Sailor Moon, Precure, World Trigger) all at the same time doesn't leave a lot of room for pretty stuff.

Throwing Dragon Ball into the mix doesn't make me feel like it will get better just because it's Dragon Ball, considering they do One Piece, the most popular manga of all time and it looks like...

This.

tumblr_inline_nbvfkd7gCY1s0yqyt.gif

Although this my favorite. Really shows how dangerous Doflamingo is. Don't fuck with Doffy. He might pew-pew some string out of his finger. How will they ever bust out of the Toei version of Bird Cage??

Just watched the first episode of Soma. Is there foodgasm in every episode? Because that's too goddamn much. Also, it seems like there's a lot of fan service.

The opening sections are way heavier on the ecchi. It does have fan service though, that won't go away.

cajunator

Banned
She is. The only solution is for Cyan to join SHINGANCRIMSONZ.

Yeah, I cancelled the older monthly plan I was on a few months ago, and I still had it for the next month without being charged lol. I wont cause a stink about this though haha.

that would be fun except that Cyan needs closer contact with Retoree because lilies.

World Trigger Episode 31
tumblr_nouioxsJLj1qbb4ago1_540.gif

Shinoda finally gets involved and it feels much longer than the manga made it. Which isnt bad because getting him all this time against Enedora has been fun. I also loved the Yuma v Mr Viza continuing. All of Yuma's seals are pretty epic, as well as Mr Viza's sword AOE.

tumblr_nottvejNTM1uo77uno1_540.gif

Dat....uhhm....animation

Didn't see it posted here,

Aniplex of America details it's plans for it's F/SN UBW S2 release over here

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/dai...ted-fate-stay-night-ubw-blu-ray-box-ii/.88500

Similar to the first set, the second set's suggested retail price is US$498.98, but the official FatestaynightUSA.com website is listing the set for US$398.98.

The release will include the television anime's second 13-episode season with English subtitles on five Blu-ray Discs. In addition to the anime, the set includes a collection of promotional videos and commercials, as well as the textless opening and ending animation sequences.

The set will bundle a soundtrack CD, a drama CD, and a "Deluxe Booklet" featuring staff interviews, production materials, and more content

$400 dollars, sub only

Based Aniplex, saving people from wasting their money on shitty anime

Seraph of the End 8

Blue balls: the episode. Everytime something cool was about to happen, it either didnt or it wasnt animated. Blah. Guess the budget is going for next weeks assault.

Loved how Yuu was so excited about the car.

Guess next week's cliffhanger will be
Yuu and Mika finally being reunited?

Baby Steps 2 8:
This was a pretty enjoyable match, although I wish that we got a few more minutes of it. The final game felt a bit rushed, and I would have liked to get into their heads a bit more during it. The result was never really in question, but I think it just needed a little bit more time. Everything leading up to that was really good, between showcasing Ei-chan's growth and his analytical skills, and us seeing Miyagawa's desperation and resolve.
I felt bad for Miyagawa at the end when he was talking to Oobayashi and then they walked off together.

kewlmyc

Yamada 07

Maybe watching this having read the manga is a bad idea. I feel as if we raced through these last two witch arcs, but if I hadn't read the manga, I doubt I'd be feeling this right now.

We're finally at the Noa arc though, so huzzah. Best girl.

cajunator

Banned

Crocodile

Yeah from my understanding, Precure seems to be one of the few shows where Toei actually gives a crap when it comes to animation.

Didn't see it posted here,

Aniplex of America details it's plans for it's F/SN UBW S2 release over here

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/dai...ted-fate-stay-night-ubw-blu-ray-box-ii/.88500

$400 dollars, sub only

Based Aniplex, saving people from wasting their money on shitty anime

They aren't even dubbing F/SN? I wasn't a fan of what I saw but I thought this was popular worldwide? Is it a Japanese thing only?

kewlmyc

They aren't even dubbing F/SN? I wasn't a fan of what I saw but I thought this was popular worldwide? Is it a Japanese thing only?

Just like Fate/Zero, they'll most likely have an import sub only release day and day of the Japanese release, then release a dub+sub version 1-2 years for now for a cheaper price ($140 12 episode box set instead of $400 box set).

What wasn't said in that post and ignored by the poster is that this is an import set from Japan. It's rare for any set to include an English track on the initial release, if at all. Aniplex of America will make a domestic release at a later date and include the dub on it.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Damn LN readers with ya "speculation"!

I haven't touched LN's in my life lol, you gotta give me props for my speculation ;_;

Oh wow, forget 1 girl for Hiki, it truly will be a harem and he'll get 2 at once..

Hikigaya gonna get three, the intro changed and now that freshman girl is in it at the ending in the club. Truly GOAT. If this isn't AOTY, I've lost faith in humanity if some idol show wins AOTY here on GAF.

Crocodile

Just like Fate/Zero, they'll most likely have an import sub only release day and day of the Japanese release, then release a dub+sub version 1-2 years for now for a cheaper price ($140 12 episode box set instead of $400 box set).

What wasn't said in that post and ignored by the poster is that this is an import set from Japan. It's rare for any set to include an English track on the initial release, if at all. Aniplex of America will make a domestic release at a later date and include the dub on it.

Ah ok that makes 10000% more sense

Cornbread78

Hikigaya gonna get three, the intro changed and now that freshman girl is in it at the ending in the club. Truly GOAT. If this isn't AOTY, I've lost faith in humanity if some idol show wins AOTY here on GAF.

Wildcard is Sensei, lol.

Seriously though, this show has been great thus far this season, especially that last episode...

Thinking about it though, Plastic Memories, Danmachi and SNAFU Too should all be up there. I can't say much about Show by Rock, Soma or The band one since I haven't watched them yet. Those are end of season marathon's for me. Fruit of Grisaia S2 has also been really good.

Grzi

Baby Steps 2 8:
This was a pretty enjoyable match, although I wish that we got a few more minutes of it. The final game felt a bit rushed, and I would have liked to get into their heads a bit more during it. The result was never really in question, but I think it just needed a little bit more time. Everything leading up to that was really good, between showcasing Ei-chan's growth and his analytical skills, and us seeing Miyagawa's desperation and resolve.
I felt bad for Miyagawa at the end when he was talking to Oobayashi and then they walked off together.

I really liked the pacing. It was a one set match and I was glad it was resolved in a single episode. I'm guessing there really wasn't that much to be told by them during the final game, since it was clear who will win.
Really hope we see more of Miyagawa after this, don't want him to quit :(

Man, I loved Haruhi and am glad to see the cast back together, but this sanctioned fanfic series is awful, can't even get through the first episode. I miss Kyon's narration. :(

I haven't touched LN's in my life lol, you gotta give me props for my speculation ;_;

I really like SNAFU but it's far from AOTS let alone AOTY. It has some good stuff in it though.

That boner scene in Kekkai justified my AOTS even though Arslan Senki is coming in real close.

javac

Gunsmith Cats: Review (1995, OVA)

Gunsmith Cats is a slick, cool and stylish OVA from the year 1995 and directed by Takeshi Mori (Otaku no Video). Its only 3 episodes so not much really happens on the outside, but truth be told there’s a lot of depth here in terms of attention to detail that both fans of cars, guns and comedy will thoroughly enjoy as you follow these two hilarious characters on their day to day lives as Gunsmiths.

Set in the city of Chicago, bounty hunters Rally Vincent, a sharpshooter with unmatched skill and an expert driver, and her partner, the cute Minnie-May, an explosives expert work in their shop when one day they’re approached for a very specific job. Together they make up the Gunsmith Cats. The set up itself, as well as the plot is very simple and nothing too out of the ordinary, however what makes Gunsmith Cats enjoyable from start to finish is the fun and energetic cast that make up the heart of this OVA. Usually I watch things with subtitles but I went for a dub in this instance for whatever reason and I have to say that I’m glad that I did so as the voice acting was a huge positive to this show.

Minnie-May who makes up the first half the gunsmith duo was voiced by Kimberly Yates, and she delivers a super cute and hilarious performance that has this character an instant favorite of mine already. Her partner, Irene Vincent, better known as Rally is voiced by Amanda Winn Lee, known for her performance as Rei in the Evangelion series, and again a top notch performance, one which truly convinced me that both her and May are nothing but the best of buddies on and off screen as they bounce of each other effortlessly. The conversations and banter truly feel genuine and that goes a mighty long way in a show like this, one which has you spending a vast majority of the time with these two girls who not only work together, but live together. Rally is a lot more raspy, but tends to show off her more feminine side here and there, both hardworking and fanatical while also being sexy and alluring, while May is a lot more childlike and silly, being a 17 year old girl, that makes sense. She’s a young girl in a grown up world, but she sure knows how to look after herself, as she tosses grenades and explosives out like confetti. It gives her a rush she says, with a huge grin on her adorable face. She’s one tough character. I really love these character designs an they're easily some of my favorites in recent memory. I will say that it was hard not to hear Asuka whenever Tiffany Grant spoke or Misato whenever Allison Keith spoke, with Gunsmith being her first role if I’m correct. It was kind of funny to be honest but enjoyable, like the show itself.

The 3 episodes all follow a single narrative arc, but each one focuses on a different motif, from the first episode which has heavy focus on gun action to the second episode which focuses on the cars and the high speed chases while the last episode caps everything off with a one on one dual. This allows for the animators to make the guns and cars characters themselves as they are brought into each episode in a meaningful way which helps pave a general aesthetic to each episode. Everything feels balanced as not one thing has precedence over the other but everything still flows together to create a single, cohesive show. The Gun episode isn’t just the gun episode and the car episode isn’t just the car episode, each one mixes all the elements together to allow for all of the set pieces to fall into place naturally.

Art director Kazuo Nagai does a wonderful job of making the city of Chicago come to life, as the city doesn’t feel like the make shift parody city you usually find when anime series try and recreate foreign places. It’s almost like you can feel the wind hitting your face as you take a stroll across the windy city. This of course goes a long way in achieving the realism they pursued when making this series. Creator, Kenichi Sonoda has a huge fascination with both cars and guns, namely the Shelby GT 500 and the CZ 75 respectively. From the facial expressions of the characters to the proportions of their bodies and the clothes that they wear, a fine level of detail can be seen, with an emphasis on making everything look as real as possible. Professional fashion designers were brought into the studio during character designs in order to help make these characters that are as realistic and natural as possible, and it shows. Sure being a show from 1995 means that the fashion is a little dated, but nevertheless they still happen to look really cool and the attention to detail still shines through. In November 1994, the principle cast and staff went over to Chicago in order to get a feel for the city, taking pictures of anything and everything, including visiting a gun shop, getting their hands on the guns and using them within the shooting range. The staff also visited an actual police academy in order to understand more in regards to the handling of the guns and various weapons in order to add an added layer of realism to the series.

A Shelby GT 500 is the choice of transport for Rally, and its inclusion was in part due to Sonoda’s fascination with films like the 1974 Gone in 60 Seconds, Vanishing Point and Bullitt, and just the general specs and design. The crew actually recorded the car itself including its sounds that they then used in the show itself while in Chicago, since getting a hold of such a car in Japan was pretty hard, with Sonoda comparing his fascination to the car with allure a Nissan Skyline GT-R has for westerners. The gun she uses is the Czech 9mm CZ 75 Full Automatic Pistol, also a favorite of Sonoda’s due to the specifications which impressed him. He thought that a gun fanatic like Rally would use such a gun. The gun is super detailed in the show due to Sonoda’s fascination with it. From the short recoil to the slick and slender profile, it’s an attractive looking bit of equipment in the hands of Rally.
A lot of effort has gone into depicting the weaponry within this 3 episode OVA, with over 100 variants of guns from handguns and machine guns to bazookas being visible. From the way the characters hold and fire their guns to the way in which the cars move and sound, a lot of effort has gone into making everything feel true to life, even if the average person would be none the wiser.
With music inspired by the Lupin III series, it feels like a precursor for shows like Cowboy Bebop, the fantastic opening also giving me the very same vibes. The show is very jazzy, with the OVA feeling like an American crime drama, both gritty and raw. The soundtrack does a stand-up job of articulating this feeling, although on their own, only the opening and closing themes are truly something I’d listen to on my music player outside of the show. The music works well within the confinements of the series, and that’s what matters.
In the end, Gunsmith Cats is a highly enjoyable OVA, which is both short and straight to the point. Don’t come here expecting loads of depth and character development, but watch the show for the level of detail and silky smooth animation and attractive character designs. Even so, don’t let the details get to you too much, this is a show that you can and should relax while watching, soaking in all of the environments. Gunsmith Cats is a very fun series that entertains and leaves a smile on your face unlike many shows of recent memory.
10/10, 100% recommended.

Uh huh. I'm onto you.

AOTY will probably be Shirobako. I cant imagine anything better this year. If there is, then it should be godly. SNAFU is easily the AOTS for me, and a solid #1.5-#2 for AOTY so far.

I really liked the pacing. It was a one set match and I was glad it was resolved in a single episode. I'm guessing there really wasn't that much to be told by them during the final game, since it was clear who will win.
Really hope we see more of Miyagawa after this, don't want him to quit :(

Yeah, I didn't mind the match mostly being resolved in one episode, but it just felt strange to me that the final game was essentially just a montage. I wanted to be in the moment for that final point, even if the outcome was obvious.

Yeah, I'd like for him to keep at it, although he'll have an uphill battle if he wants to continue playing in higher level events.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom