• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I don't think character bloat is avoidable in this case considering it's a club, but I guess they could've toned it down and gave more focus to people we care about.

cajunator

Banned
They recommended you Brynhildr because you watch everything lol.

Besides, there are evil forces at work here.

To be honest I kind of want to watch it too.
Cornbread is in that honeymoon with anime though so he is open to all kinds of stuff.
Eventually he will settle down a bit.

I feel bad Kazumi s trying to get a piece so bad it hurts... I really feel bad for her, she is a cutie...

Edit: Oh my, she's trying REALLY HARD now, poor thing..

Btw, show isn't terribly at all..

Yeah she is. Sometimes when I dont know a show but take a liking to a character, I will check the wiki to see if the character dies or not so I dont have to rage lol.

Sound! Euphonium 08

Nice emotional episode. Kumiko and Kōsaka's hike up the mountaion was easily the runaway best part of the episode. Listening to those two talk and Kōsaka showing that she knows a whole lot about Kumiko's personality. Bit of a tear-jerker at the end but that's to be expected.

At some point its not subtext as much as it is a gigantic neon sign..

You are the absolute worst. Elfen Lied is one of the few shows I've legitimately rage posted about. Do not watch this crap.

However you gotta admit it was really cathartic when
#1 asshole gets torn limb from limb by Lucy

javac

That is REALLY unfortunate because if theres one show I feel deserves extremely high praise, its that one. I truly think you are doing yourself a disservice if you skip this one.

I'm just a broken record, but those types of shows do nothing for me at all. It's like all of the most unappealing things in anime bundled together for me to put it mildly, from the character designs to the artwork. It's cool that people like it tho, that's nice, people should enjoy whatever they want and if it happens to be that, cool! On the flip side, I'm champing at the bit for more Romeo and can't wait to dig further down the WMT series, which I'm sure a lot of people on here also feel nothing towards.

ibyea

Banned
1eArBog.gif

Well, looks like the subtext became text.

cajunator

Banned
I'm just a broken record, but those types of shows do nothing for me at all. It's like all of the most unappealing things in anime bundled together for me to put it mildly, from the character designs to the artwork. It's cool that people like it tho, that's nice, people should enjoy whatever they want and if it happens to be that, cool! On the flip side, I'm champing at the bit for more Romeo and can't wait to dig further down the WMT series, which I'm sure a lot of people on here also feel nothing towards.

What type of show do you think SSY is? Im curious.

Jarmel

Banned
I don't think character bloat is avoidable in this case considering it's a club, but I guess they could've toned it down and gave more focus to people we care about.

I think part of the problem is that a good chunk of the character drama revolves around an event that the audience never saw unfold and we're just watching year-old fallout.

Not to mention the situation a year ago isn't interesting enough to justify the amount of teasing and screentime.

I'm biased towards the Euphonium novels, where there's a lot of development for most of the ensemble throughout the series. IMO, it handles the amount of characters much better than Yonezawa's "let's introduce these characters in one novel/short and forget about them, lol" method similar to what Kamachi does in Index.

Whereas, with Hyouka, not only were the main four interesting in their own ways, but the people who interacted with them were sympathetic as well. The council president and their doujin circle drama, the manga club and their debate over artistic merit, Irisu and the film club, and finally Oreki's sister. There aren't any really duds in the cast, and even if the mysteries themselves are mundane I never thought "oh god I don't care about these people, just go back to Oreki".
My issue with the other characters in Hyouka was the fact that they were memorable only because of how quirky or just outlandish they were which isn't something I consider a positive. I mean god damn they built up this mystic and teasing about his sister and made a big deal of not showing her face and by the time she showed up in the story she completely and utterly fell flat. Whereas the other characters in Euphonium aren't all that quirky and a little forgettable which is what I prefer in these sorts of settings.

Well at least we can put that page behind us.
Durarara X2 12

tumblr_nlxuwisaHM1t0jazco1_400.gif

Who needs to drive a car when you can just kick one?

Great finale to the first part of season 2 and sets up Ten so well.
Between Mikado going to the dark side and Izaya getting out-trolled, I'm hyped for Ten in July.

I hope they continue the dub then too, DRRR!! x2 is such a fantastic experience dubbed.

And I hope the same group does the OP song, its so addicting.

cajunator

Banned
I hope SDBurton is watching Euphonium.

w1LoGEo.gif

M7StmRL.gif

I honestly dont know how he survives.

This is not a "We're close firends" thing.

This is a take me home and do me thing.....How could they confuse this type of body language?

Lol yeah pretty much!

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, Euphonium makes it even more clear just how masterful Hyouka was. The main weakness of Euphonium is that the cast is very lopsided. Kumiko and Reina, as the main characters, are top notch, and I guess Kazuki and Sapphire are fun too, but I can't bring myself to really care about them. Shuichi is just whatever, and so are prez and the Madonna (I don't even know their names). Only Asuka and Taki-sensei stand out and they haven't been getting a lot of screen time.

Whereas, with Hyouka, not only were the main four interesting in their own ways, but the people who interacted with them were sympathetic as well. The council president and their doujin circle drama, the manga club and their debate over artistic merit, Irisu and the film club, and finally Oreki's sister. There aren't any really duds in the cast, and even if the mysteries themselves are mundane I never thought "oh god I don't care about these people, just go back to Oreki".

Not true. Mayaka is dud central. Luckily Misaki is there to liven things up.

mother of god. Lilies. So many lilies.

The "yuri bait" meme does Euphonium a disservice. The homoerotic elements aren't an aside thrown in to please horny otakus, they're essential to the Kumiko/Kousaka relationship that's the centerpiece of the show.

Cornbread78

Little Busters ep. 1-3:
Alright, so far nothing has happened,m but the show is pretty damn funny. They are up to 6 members now, so maybe they will get to the 9 needed soon. I heard this one is pretty good but it will take me all week to finish. So far so good.... Any good romance stuff, or is it all pretty much drama?

little_busters-02-masato-ryousuke-riki-rin-komari-together-group-happy-cleaning.jpg

cajunator

Banned
The "yuri bait" meme does Euphonium a disservice. The homoerotic elements aren't an aside thrown in to please horny otakus, they're essential to the Kumiko/Kousaka relationship that's the centerpiece of the show.

While thats true, it doesnt hurt to attract a bit of attention. KyoAni knows exactly what its doing.

I'll echo this post. The novel series definitely focuses on the relationship between Kumiko and Reina and there's a lot of subtext in there. I definitely felt like this scene was adapted pretty much how I felt it would be from the novel. While it may not end romantically, these two are very linked for the story's purpose and Reina herself is important for Kumiko's arc.

(Asuka's excessive positiveness and her shipping dialogue is more of the "yuri bait" added that I've complained about previously. Kumiko/Reina are pretty much kept as-is with some stuff added here/there that's fine for an adaptation.)

javac

What type of show do you think SSY is? Im curious.

I'd rather not, I know how these discussions usually go. I'll say it looks like one thing only for everybody to say "lol way off the mark!" And I think, in the end, it's the shows job to sell me on it, and if it doesn't look appealing to me...I'm not really going to delve deeper into it. Judging a book by its cover is foolhardy and means that you miss out on a load of actual great content, but in the end it's the studios and the marketing departments job to interest me, and when I already have a plethora of great, appealing content in front of me, I'm not willing to waste time to find out and see if this show I don't really like the look of will issue a sense of change within me once I get into it. I've looked into the show, which is more than I can say about others, and I'm fully aware of the genres it entails and can put the pieces together.

The show I'm watching now, Romeo's Blue Skies, you want to know how I came in contact with it? I was looking at some Blu-rays and DVD's to buy on a Japanese auction site to import a while back, can't remember what it was exactly, maybe it was something random like Orguss or Mospeada, in any case, at the bottom there's a bunch of 'recommendations' and there I saw a thumbnail for the DVD box for Romeo. This is the picture that I saw :Link. I clicked on it and decided "I'm going to watch that". That's how I operate, that's the exact same situation that lead me to Windy Tales. It just works out so well for me, and it hasn't let me down.

I think the larger point I like to make is optimism. You see, when I watch something, I want to be optimistic about it. Going into something with a negative mindset usually means that in the end, it'll cloud my judgement. Nobody wants to be proven wrong, at least I don't, so in the end that leads to a self-fulfilling prophecy. "I told you it'd be bad!" I don't watch something unless I'm excited to watch it, and if it takes me 5 years to warm up to something, I'll be happy to wait, and if that day never comes, eh I have plenty of other things to both watch, play and do in the meantime. That's my reasoning, its dumb and stupid but it woks for me, I'm happy with what I watch and happy with dismissing a load of things as a means of a filter, even if some gold dust escapes the sieve every now and again.

cajunator

Banned
I'll echo this post. The novel series definitely focuses on the relationship between Kumiko and Reina and there's a lot of subtext in there. I definitely felt like this scene was adapted pretty much how I felt it would be from the novel. While it may not end romantically, these two are very linked for the story's purpose and Reina herself is important for Kumiko's arc.

(Asuka's excessive positiveness and her shipping dialogue is more of the "yuri bait" added that I've complained about previously. Kumiko/Reina are pretty much kept as-is with some stuff added here/there that's fine for an adaptation.)

While it may have artistic merit, there will always be that subset of fans that will enjoy the pandering aspect of it. Even those who appreciate it artistically too.

Sounds a bit like homophobia.

err....

PK Gaming

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, Euphonium makes it even more clear just how masterful Hyouka was. The main weakness of Euphonium is that the cast is very lopsided. Kumiko and Reina, as the main characters, are top notch, and I guess Kazuki and Sapphire are fun too, but I can't bring myself to really care about them. Shuichi is just whatever, and so are prez and the Madonna (I don't even know their names). Only Asuka and Taki-sensei stand out and they haven't been getting a lot of screen time.

There were a ton of distinct side characters in Hyouka: Smoker dude, the movie detectives, the empress, Juumonji... all of them were memorable and great. That said, it's worth noting that Hyouka has the natural advantage in regards to its side characters. For one, it had more episodes to work with, so it could take the time to develop the side characters, and the episode format was generally relaxed, which gave them plenty of time to shine. Outside of the mini-arcs, there's no overarching plot.

Euphonium on the other hand, moves at a significantly faster clip. They're both character focused, but Euphonium also has a strong emphasis on music, practice and the competition (and less episodes to work with on top of that.) There just isn't enough time to let the side characters stand out as a result. Overall, i'm pretty satisfied with how they're handle (barring Shuuichi who is whatever). I'm sure the side characters are even better in the novels, if what ultimatemegax posts are anything to go by.

cajunator

Banned
I'd rather not, I know how these discussions usually go. I'll say it looks like one thing only for everybody to say "lol way off the mark!" And I think, in the end, it's the shows job to sell me on it, and if it doesn't look appealing to me...I'm not really going to delve deeper into it. Judging a book by its cover is foolhardy and means that you miss out on a load of actual great content, but in the end it's the studios and the marketing departments job to interest me, and when I already have a plethora of great, appealing content in front of me, I'm not willing to waste time to find out and see if this show I don't really like the look of will issue a sense of change within me once I get into it. I've looked into the show, which is more than I can say about others, and I'm fully aware of the genres it entails and can put the pieces together.

The show I'm watching now, Romeo's Blue Skies, you want to know how I came in contact with it? I was looking at some Blu-rays and DVD's to buy on a Japanese auction site to import a while back, can't remember what it was exactly, maybe it was something random like Orguss or Mospeada, in any case, at the bottom there's a bunch of 'recommendations' and there I saw a thumbnail for the DVD box for Romeo. This is the picture that I saw :Link. I clicked on it and decided "I'm going to watch that". That's how I operate, that's the exact same situation that lead me to Windy Tales. It just works out so well for me, and it hasn't let me down.

I think the larger point I like to make is optimism. You see, when I watch something, I want to be optimistic about it. Going into something with a negative mindset usually means that in the end, it'll cloud my judgement. Nobody wants to be proven wrong, at least I don't, so in the end that leads to a self-fulfilling prophecy. "I told you it'd be bad!" I don't watch something unless I'm excited to watch it, and if it takes me 5 years to warm up to something, I'll be happy to wait, and if that day never comes, eh I have plenty of other things to both watch, play and do in the meantime. That's my reasoning, its dumb and stupid but it woks for me, I'm happy with what I watch and happy with dismissing a load of things as a means of a filter, even if some gold dust escapes the sieve every now and again.

That is extremely unfortunate then.
Im sorry you feel that way.
It is truly one of the best shows of the last decade.

Kekkai Sensen 1-8

Were this a stronger season, I would have probably avoided watching this altogether, much less reviewing it. However, given the lack of interesting shows currently airing and the prospect of Rie Matsumoto’s direction, this appeared to be the best option available. Unfortunately, save for an episode or two, I haven’t been overly impressed. Kekkai Sensen is, quite often, dominated by needlessly incoherent and occasionally poor storytelling, which diminishes what little intrigue remains. This approach, however, is not an invariably poor one. Kyousogiga, for example, features a similarly tangled story. The notable difference, however, is that the latter weaves an element of structure and thematic cohesion into its chaos, which illustrates a deft handling of the material that is nearly altogether absent from Kekkai Sensen. The numerous flaws within the show appear to largely be borne from weak source material. I had hoped Rie Matsumoto, exceedingly talented as she is, would have been able to elevate the narrative beyond the constraints of the mediocre manga from which this story is derived, but such an accomplishment is, after all, undoubtedly rare.

The storytelling has become slightly less aimless of late, which has certainly benefited the quality of the story. However, it remains needlessly unfocused, seemingly determined to avoid much in the way of narrative significance. The fifth and, to a lesser extent, sixth episodes were undoubtedly the best, as they wove tales that were coherent in their storytelling and surprisingly poignant. Though they were, similar to the others, largely self-contained episodes, they possessed a thematic focus that was highly refreshing. The subtle emotion filtered throughout these episodes strongly differentiated them from those that preceded it. The dramatic elements, in turn, possessed a weight that had never been properly captured before. If the show were more heavily comprised of episodes that were as impressively told as these, I would be considerably more satisfied. Unfortunately, the majority of the seventh and eighth episodes reverted to the unstructured tedium that has been far too prevalent throughout.

The
Elder Blood Breed
could be a fairly interesting, albeit oddly generic, threat, but there is an unfortunate tendency for the terror they inspire to be spoken of far more often than it’s ever been shown. The conclusion of the seventh episode and the bookends to the eighth served as surprisingly effective and ominous bits of foreshadowing, attaining a touch of mystery that has often eluded the story to this point. The gradual illumination of
Black and White’s seemingly tragic dynamic
has been nicely handled, quickly establishing itself as one of the only elements within the narrative that is tangibly intriguing. Hopefully, if this aspect of the story is ever allowed to flourish, it will manage to exceed my gradually diminishing expectations, but with so few episodes left, I remain skeptical.

The characters are one of the most disappointing elements within the show, due entirely to how considerable their potential is. Each of them possess disparate personalities that are quite engaging and wonderfully eccentric. There is, however, an absence of depth to nearly all them, save for, perhaps, the dynamic between Leo and White, and, in turn, the dynamic between White and Black. For an ensemble such as this, the exploration of the characters has been rather superficial, if not entirely nonexistent, relying heavily on their individual quirks rather than their potential complexities. Were the story considerably more involving than it currently is, this particular flaw wouldn’t be quite so detrimental.

The development between White and Leo has been surprisingly effective so far, as a slight naturalism has been woven into the evolution of their relationship. Their dynamic is elevated, in part, by the absence of character development elsewhere within the show, but it has managed to achieve an unexpected poignancy on several occasions that has notably benefited Leo‘s evolution as a character. Leo’s sister, on the other hand, has essentially disappeared since the first episode, which is quite disappointing, since her relationship with Leo could have so easily been woven into the narrative as a motivation for Leo and an emotionally involving thematic undercurrent within the story. If only it hadn‘t seemingly been forgotten.

Klaus is, ever so slightly, the more compelling of the secondary characters, but, similar to all the others, his promise has remained frustratingly unrealized. Zapp and Chain’s interactions are consistently amusing, as their dynamic, though only occasionally utilized, possesses a humorous banter and contentious rivalry of sorts that emphasizes the best of their respective personalities. The modicum of insight into Zapp’s characterization in the eighth episode was refreshing, albeit unnecessarily slight.

The production values are egregiously unspectacular, which is rather unexpected for a BONES series. The prevalence of still shots is particularly distracting. The animation can occasionally be impressive, but never consistently or exceedingly so. The character designs are refreshingly varied and unique, complementing the unusual world they inhabit. The creature designs, for their part, are inspired, strongly conveying the bizarre and occasionally terrifying nature of their species. There resides within the visuals a certain cheapness that rids them of their intended beauty. The aesthetic is, in part, a contributing factor, as the muted palette is unnecessary and ultimately unappealing, which is worsened still by the awful filters that are so often sloppily included. The backgrounds, as a result, are rather dull, despite the notable art direction and Matsumoto’s proclivity for creating striking imagery.

The action sequences, though typically well-directed and cleverly storyboarded, are consistently devoid of tension. This appears to be the result of several seemingly unavoidable elements. Most notable among these is the nonsensical nature of events, which, needless to say, renders the action entirely ineffective. It’s rather difficult to find these moments involving when the majority of what is occurring possesses no real cohesion. Another element that noticeably detracts from the action is the messy construct of Jerusalem’s Lot itself, which is geographically disjointed, to say the least.

Rie Matsumoto’s direction is impressively confident and wonderfully idiosyncratic, but it is often weakened by a story that is overly incoherent and uninteresting. As this appears to primarily be the result of poor source material, it seems like a considerable waste of her talents. Nevertheless, the direction throughout the entire series has been consistently solid, particularly in the creative framing of certain moments. Of particular note is the tendency to draw the camera back and linger on a wider shot, which, when executed well (it can occasionally linger to an excessive degree), broadens the canvas in a manner that is fairly rare. This directorial flourish, also prevalent in Kyousogiga (at least within the first episode), has become rather effective, as it eschews the obsession for a plethora of unnecessary close-ups, which the majority of other directors frequently rely on.

Taisei Iwasaki’s musical contributions have been fantastic and wonderfully varied throughout, possessing an inclination for variety that is highly refreshing. Despite being a newcomer to anime, his work has been exceptionally strong. The notes of jazz that have been woven into several episodes are particularly impressive, complementing the energetic atmosphere within the show beautifully. In fact, the music often elevates the effectiveness of moments that would otherwise be quite tedious. The OP, though musically unremarkable, is visually strong, featuring some great storyboarding. The ED is excellent, perhaps the best since Shinsekai Yori’s (though not nearly capable of reaching the brilliance of that particular ED, which remains among the most exceptional that I‘ve ever seen). Even a passable ED is rare, so I was quite surprised at how pleasant and memorably comedic this one is.

All in all, Kekkai Sensen is an enjoyable, but decidedly mediocre series, thoroughly weakened by a lack of character exploration and an often dull narrative. The flaws are accentuated by the elements in which the show excels, namely Iwasaki’s incredible music, Matsumoto’s superb direction, and the surprisingly imaginative world in which these characters inhabit, which manage to imbue the show with an energy and style that is quite commendable. As to the flaws, the fragmented nature of the narrative, most notably, has been rather disappointing. If this was to be lengthier than twelve episodes, an episodic approach to the storytelling, at least in the beginning, would be fairly understandable. However, given the continued absence of a substantive narrative arc, the story has felt perfunctory and ultimately aimless. In the perpetuation of this flaw and the realization that only four episodes remain, it is quite unlikely that the story will ever transition into anything of note, unfortunately. The previous two episodes foreshadowed some compelling threads within the narrative, but the story seems utterly uninterested in pursuing them in any meaningful fashion. This results in a show that is, for the most part, derivative and trite in the telling of its story, consistently incapable of elevating beyond the conventions of its genre. Perhaps the quality of this show is all that can reasonably be extracted from relatively bad source material, but I expected considerably more nonetheless.

Sound! Euphonium 8:
This episode wasn't quite on the same level as last week's masterpiece, but it was another pretty good episode from the show. The Kumiko/Reina relationship is interesting to watch play out, and I think we have a much better idea of Reina's character at this point. It's kind of interesting to see how she's interpreted Kumiko, and how they have some ideas on the same wavelength.

The love triangle stuff wasn't especially interesting, but it seems like that's all resolved now. And we did get some nice smaller moments with some of the other characters. With next week, I guess we'll be getting back to the general band stuff, which I think will be good after this episode's diversion.

I'll agree that Euphonium is certainly a step down from the masterpiece that Hyouka was in terms of the characters. Certainly no one is going to even be approaching the levels of someone like Mayaka or Oreki in this show, and even a lot of the supporting characters were pretty memorable.

I don't think that Euphonium's cast are bad characters, but I think that the only ones who I've had a big reaction to so far are Kumiko, Reina, Asuka and Natsuki. A lot of the other characters are decent, but they just need more time. That was something I liked about Episode 7, was that I did feel like I got to know characters like Haruka and Kaori better in that episode.

I'd say the biggest dud is Shuichi, who I just don't care about at all, and Hazuki and Midori are just kind of okay. They're probably the least interesting characters. So I think the bigger weakness is that the most screen time outside of Kumiko has been going to two of the lesser characters.

Jarmel

Banned
All in all, Kekkai Sensen is an enjoyable, but decidedly mediocre series, thoroughly weakened by a lack of character exploration and an often dull narrative. The flaws are accentuated by the elements in which the show excels, namely Iwasaki’s incredible music, Matsumoto’s superb direction, and the surprisingly imaginative world in which these characters inhabit, which manage to imbue the show with an energy and style that is quite commendable. As to the flaws, the fragmented nature of the narrative, most notably, has been rather disappointing. If this was to be lengthier than twelve episodes, an episodic approach to the storytelling, at least in the beginning, would be fairly understandable. However, given the continued absence of a substantive narrative arc, the story has felt perfunctory and ultimately aimless.

Obviously different strokes what have you but I don't think all shows need to or should have a core narrative. Kekkai established itself long ago as a primarily episodic show and I think that's more than fine in principle. I would say there's been issues with the execution of the episodes but that's more on the production side rather than the writing.

It's never aimed to be a deep character study or even have an engrossing main story (although that's popping up anyways due to the anime original material). Obviously you need some level of characterization but the show isn't interested in going much beyond that, and I think it's better for it. Kekkai is just a bunch of characters screwing around in a messed up New York and I think the show does this aspect well.

Cornbread78

I've failed you, Cornbread. Back when you were asking for general impressions on Brynhildr, I was meaning to provide some sort of warning but forgot about it. OTL

Main dude was hilarious in those tail episodes though. He was a jobber when it came to anything physical for the entire series, and then BAM
he turns into an ACTION HERO in the finale and even delivers a surprise INAZUMA KICK to save the day

Lol, no worries. It was entertaining at least, but had a million story gaps, and the ending was just bad.. Plus, he should have treated the best girl better, I mean, she said he could do ANYTHING to her, lol. What a wuss..

Obviously different strokes what have you but I don't think all shows need to or should have a core narrative. Kekkai established itself long ago as a primarily episodic show and I think that's more than fine in principle. I would say there's been issues with the execution of the episodes but that's more on the production side rather than the writing.

It's never aimed to be a deep character study or even have an engrossing main story (although that's popping up anyways due to the anime original material). Obviously you need some level of characterization but the show isn't interested in going much beyond that, and I think it's better for it. Kekkai is just a bunch of characters screwing around in a messed up New York and I think the show does this aspect well.

I understand. I suppose I was expecting a greater focus thematically throughout the show, which I personally prefer. An episodic approach isn’t inherently bad, since there have been many shows I’ve thoroughly enjoyed that have excelled in that format, but when I haven’t yet been made to care about the majority of the characters, the flaws are more strongly emphasized for me. The anime original material, however, has definitely impressed.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I'm biased towards the Euphonium novels, where there's a lot of development for most of the ensemble throughout the series. IMO, it handles the amount of characters much better than Yonezawa's "let's introduce these characters in one novel/short and forget about them, lol" method similar to what Kamachi does in Index.

Knowing your preference for the Euph novels, I'm curious how you feel about the adaptations (Hyouka and Euphonium) relative to each other.

Acosta

Jokes aside, I don't think Euphonium is going yuri. It all looks very platonic and "dream-like" like it's mentioned.

There is fascination, admiration and something that goes beyond mere friendship, but I believe its has no sexual innuendo at all.

But they sure had fun in this episode playing with that.

Rr3XLww.jpg

Yes, I would lose my life to this.

The whole talk about
wanting to be special
was truly magnificent. Reina is a great character.

Midonin

Mikagura School Suite 08

Eruna and Otone have some great chemistry. The actual treasure hunt wasn't that important, but finding out more about Otone's secret life did help quite a bit. It helps that the quiz stations were tailored to Eruna's specialties like tokusatsu trivia and a very special "eye test". Enjoyable episode!

Hibike! Euphonium - 08

See, when I care about the characters I just absolutely love all these kinds of interactions. Kumiko and Reina conversations were just a joy with the somewhat befuddled Kumiko and extremely direct Reina.

I didn't mind the—anyways, short lived—love triangle at all, especially since it was neither dragged out nor used for cheap 'misunderstanding drama'. I don't care for Hazuki as much either, but still enough to be slightly invested at least. I actually feel like Shuuichi is a character I can empathize with quite well for how little screen time he really got. His interaction with Kumiko is just kinda fun, too.

In general the show does handle it's many character fairly competently and wouldn't call anything concerning that an actual flaw of the show, even when there's the occasional weakness here.

Reina is still a bit of an enigma to me but I do understand her character better now. Kumiko is certainly my favorite though. I love just about every interaction she has with whomever else. She's just perfect for constantly causing some fun awkwardness.

And at last, there's

best boy Gotou!

Euphonium 08
Pack it up boys, it's not going to get better than this. Gotou was the true hero of this episode.

Damn. People work fast when Yuri is involved.

How do the novels actually deal with the whole "playing music" part of Euphonium?

I actually feel like Shuuichi is a character I can empathize with quite well for how little screen time he really good. His interaction with Kumiko is just kinda fun, too.

I also like him, he and Kumiko have a really cool and unique thing going on. It's a shame that it's probably going to change in the next episodes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom