• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baalzebup

It became kinda mediocre in the last few episodes.

1431555448764.png

faridmon

I didn't thank you guys, but thanks to you I know what I am watching next this season. Like I said, I don't like Souma (the food one) neither ma I big on KyoAni's new show!

Kumiko being a legit interesting protagonist makes eupho so much better than it would other wise be, it might not be on the level of Hyouka but it's sure better than anything else Kyoani has done recently

Well, that's pretty much the lowest possible bar imaginable.

They hadn't really done anything worth talking about since Hyouka until Euphonium.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
1. I already know that, thanks

2. Yeah, there's no way Kyoani could possibly be responsible for making a good adaption, it was 100% the novel (not LN lol) :^) In fact, just skip the anime and read the novels since there's nothing be gained from adapting it :^)

1. Dude, sorry my original statement sounded offensive for some reason. I meant to type that to join into the discussion, not trying to educate you.

2. I was talking about character design and story, the anime had good character and plot thanks to the LN, it had nothing to do with Kyoani. Yes, Kyoani did a great job translating the book into anime, but that's a different set of skill from designing a character or writing a plot. Finally, I wish I can skip the anime, I can't, because Hyouka S2 doesn't exist so there are nothing to skip.

There was a nice article about Ayano Takeda, the author of the Euphonium novels, in today's Yomuri newspaper. I felt incredibly compelled to translate it, so here you go.

Also, Tamako Market is a fun show that the west hated because of the bird and the fact that they expected romantic love to be the main focus and it wasn't. That was for Tamako Love Story.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Mikagura Gakuen Kumikyoku Episode 8:

Ah, so we are at last getting around to establishing a club for Eruna and a good deal of this episode seems to be devoted to exploring her very, very, very nuanced fetish list. I am constantly amazed at how they nailed Eruna down without falling into many unfortunate traps that could have occurred. That is to say pulling off the perverted and lustful and yet still lovable and well meaning character archetype is actually very hard because it is very easy to go too far in that direction and at the end you are sexual molester that we are supposed to be rooting for, looking at you Seven Deadly Sins. Anyway, because Eruna happens to be so forthcoming with her sexual delusions she tend to become, well, the anti-Hakura Tenoh as random cute girls tend to back away slowly and without eye contact. On the other hand, Eruna still has many weapons to win the hearts and minds of cute girls, skills I don't think she quite knows she has come to think of it. Basically her endlessly bubbly personality is very good at melting hearts of ice and steel.
That was pretty much the actual impetus of this episode to establish an actual love triangle with Otone and Sesia. We can see that not is Otone starting to melt away in the fact of this overwhelming positivity but Sesia is showing emotions like concern and maybe even jealousy.
Also, I want a Eruna themed JRPG now, I think I would enjoy it.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I'll admit that I've never seen Tamako Market, so it might be that it's the one truly good KyoAni show released between Hyouka and Euphonium.

Maybe I should get around to that one of these days.
I kind of feel like Tamako Market is the poster child of poor material providing a storyteller little to work with. Most of the cast is just really uninteresting, unlikable, and unrealistic in a way that really detached me from the work. Tamako Love Story is pretty legit though. Instead of fumbling around in all different directions it identifies a single thread and commits to something there that feels a little more genuine. In general Tamako Market is kind of too naive for its own good though. It feels like you're watching something about fifth graders who still have a long way to go with emotional development.

1. Dude, sorry my original statement sounded offensive for some reason. I meant to type that to join into the discussion, not trying to educate you.

2. I was talking about character design and story, the anime had good character and plot thanks to the LN, it had nothing to do with Kyoani. Yes, Kyoani did a great job translating the book into anime, but that's a different set of skill from designing a character or writing a plot. Finally, I wish I can skip the anime, I can't, because Hyouka S2 doesn't exist so there are nothing to skip.

As far as I recall, only the first book was ever released under a light novel banner. Hyouka is based on a series of regular novels, not light novels.

Beyond that, while I can't claim to have ever read the original novels, there's a lot more that goes into an adaptation than just presenting the original work. The pacing of novels and anime are completely different, scenes have to be rewritten, etc. Yes, they didn't create the plot out of thin air, but they still did a great job translating it onto the screen. I'm unsure if the characters and story were any different, but it wouldn't surprise me if they brought out certain elements that weren't there in the original. However, I can't speak intelligently to that having not read the novels, so I'll trust you as an expert on the original Kotenbu series for the sake of this.

KyoAni's adaptation does a great job with the pacing, and it nails the characters and does a great job of communicating details of the characters using physical actions and the direction. I can't imagine that every single one of these little things they do to communicate details of the characters (such as facial expressions, subtle reactions, the way Mayaka's room looks, characters erasing something while they're typing, etc) are all direct translations of descriptors from the novels, so I have to conclude that at least some of the character development and story is being done by Takemoto and the folks at KyoAni working on the show.

I dodged Koi Kaze cause of how whole incest theme behind the show...

that little girl with the eyepatch? i strayed away from it cause i heard the ending for it was heartbreaking.
suicide at some point in the show

ive brought it up and apparently that isnt the case, which i hope it is, so ill probably give it a look
From what I could tell, Koi Kaze is a more realistic, psychological take on incest. From what I could tell on TVTropes, the writer must have done a lot more research than the average pandering writer.
And the age gap? Japan's age of consent is different over there.

I kind of feel like Tamako Market is the poster child of poor material providing a storyteller little to work with. Most of the cast is just really uninteresting, unlikable, and unrealistic in a way that really detached me from the work. Tamako Love Story is pretty legit though. Instead of fumbling around in all different directions it identifies a single thread and commits to something there that feels a little more genuine. In general Tamako Market is kind of too naive for its own good though. It feels like you're watching something about fifth graders who still have a long way to go with emotional development.

Tamako Market is a fun "showa" show. This is something that feels it could be made 20 years ago and still essentially be the same. I look at it as a love song to that "simpler" era where you have shopping districts that looked out for everyone and you did fun things like make a haunted house to get people to visit. It was also a great challenge for the main staff to focus all around Tamako instead of putting her as the main self-insert.

The movie obviously goes in a different direction, but the show itself has a charm that you may miss your first time through.

Jesus what she's goddamn 22?!?!? ARGH.

ARRrrRrRrRRRfgGgHhHHH

SHE WROTE A LIGHT NOVEL IN 2 WEEKS?!?!?!?

ty megax

I knew Takeda was in university, so the age didn't surprise me. Her winning a big award for something she wrote in two weeks when she was 19(!) was more surprising. I have that novel and it's on my to-read list. It just stars a male character and I missed Kumiko more than I wanted to admit.

Edit: Also these are full novels; not light. While Euphonium is relatively easy to read (IT'S DENSE!), it's not full of illustrations and marketed to teenagers like the light novel labels.

Jintor

god i should have used my university time so much better. argh.

I knew Takeda was in university, so the age didn't surprise me. Her winning a big award for something she wrote in two weeks when she was 19(!) was more surprising. I have that novel and it's on my to-read list. It just stars a male character and I missed Kumiko more than I wanted to admit.

/edit oh i see

Cornbread78

Plastic Memories 08
I finally caught up. I shouldn't have slacked of though.
--------------------------
Ending song plays
--------------------------
This show is alright. I want to see what's going to happen in the final episode.

Yeah, it was an awesome episode again. I don't want to see the last episode because it's gonna be rough....

Also, I can't find the post, but Kyoukai no Kanata or Beyond the Boundary was the recommendation from earlier, right? Is it any good? The MAL description below doesn't say much. ..

The dark fantasy follows a high school sophomore named Akihito Kanbara. Although the boy appears human, he is half youmu and invulnerable to wounds because he can heal quickly. One day, Akihito meets freshman Mirai Kuriyama when it seems she is about to jump from the school rooftop. Mirai is isolated because of her ability to manipulate blood, which is unique even among members of the spirit world. Disturbing events begin to unfold after Akihito saves Mirai.

Yeah, it was an awesome episode again. I don't want to see the last episode because it's gonna be rough....

Also, I can't find the post, but Kyoukai no Kanata or Beyond the Boundary was the recommendation from earlier, right? Is it any good? The MAL description below doesn't say much. ..

It's cute anime girl does cute things while other stuff happens.

Kyoukai suffers from trying to do way too much for the plot it's trying to tell. Ishidate and Hanada introduce a couple of anime-original characters (Ai is the best!), but one just goes nowhere with his storyline. Ishidate had a fantastic idea for what to do with the series, but it's poorly developed in episode 1 with Hanada trying to make Mirai too cutesy. Other than that, I liked the concept and a fair amount of the characters. Akihito emphasizes his fetish way too much, which prompts Mirai to fail to be entertaining in her response.

I kinda liked the recap movie version better as it was more cohesive, but it's just clips, so you don't get the full story.

Totakeke

Hibike Euphonium 08

"Weird" character interactions like these really elevate the series to another level.

There's only 12 episodes? Bummer.

Hibike Euphonium 08

"Weird" character interactions like these really elevate the series to another level.

There's only 12 episodes? Bummer.

It's 14, but that's not much extra. One will be an OVA released with the final disc volume in December while the other is likely airing on June 30.

KnK suffered because it didn't want to be the Harry Potter anime I wanted it to be. Instead it opted for moe, glasses and incest jokes

LordCanti

Hibike Euphonium 08

It's happening isn't it. It's really happening. The garden is in full bloom.

Edit: Oh this show is based on a LN? If so, I need to be let down gently now if there's no one in the garden and I've been sold a bill of goods.

Baalzebup

Opinions vary, but I found it easily worth my time. It has its flaws, but there are elements there that I really liked and I usually forgive pretty big flaws in exchange. I'm kinda easy to please where anime goes. To an extent.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss

Kyoani changed the character designs you know

Cornbread78

It's cute anime girl does cute things while other stuff happens.

Kyoukai suffers from trying to do way too much for the plot it's trying to tell. Ishidate and Hanada introduce a couple of anime-original characters (Ai is the best!), but one just goes nowhere with his storyline. Ishidate had a fantastic idea for what to do with the series, but it's poorly developed in episode 1 with Hanada trying to make Mirai too cutesy. Other than that, I liked the concept and a fair amount of the characters. Akihito emphasizes his fetish way too much, which prompts Mirai to fail to be entertaining in her response.

I kinda liked the recap movie version better as it was more cohesive, but it's just clips, so you don't get the full story.

Got it, so it's cute, but the story is disjointed? Is it worth the 4+ hours of viewing?

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Tamako Market is a fun "showa" show. This is something that feels it could be made 20 years ago and still essentially be the same. I look at it as a love song to that "simpler" era where you have shopping districts that looked out for everyone and you did fun things like make a haunted house to get people to visit. It was also a great challenge for the main staff to focus all around Tamako instead of putting her as the main self-insert.
Tamako Market would be easier to swallow as something fun if it was a bit giddier or packed more energy. Tamako the character is not exactly worth shining a spotlight on, but the characters in the periphery rarely delivered on scenes that felt creative or interesting, so the vast majority of the series kind of just turned into a drag for me.

Cornbread78

I enjoyed Golden Time for the most part but it isn't anywhere near as good as Toradora. Which was a shame because 2d-kun is one of the best bros in anime.

Yeah, ToraDora was great, but I'm still not 100% warmed up to how they ended that one though. Golden Time was surprisingly good considering I was warned that I could really dislike it, both had really good lead ups, but now the search for something similar starts, lol. Also, long live 2D-Kun. It would have been cool for him to have a The World Only God Knows moment and he mastered a 3D girl, lol.

cajunator

Banned
Its really that bad? ;-;

Nah its really fun. But its not gonna win writing awards.

Yeah, ToraDora was great, but I'm still not 100% warmed up to how they ended that one though. Golden Time was surprisingly good considering I was warned that I could really dislike it, both had really good lead ups, but now the search for something similar starts, lol. Also, long live 2D-Kun. It would have been cool for him to have a The World Only God Knows moment and he mastered a 3D girl, lol.

you should watch Full Moon O Sagashite although its pretty lengthy. Well worth it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom