• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mature

I understand. I suppose I was expecting a greater focus thematically throughout the show, which I personally prefer. An episodic approach isn’t inherently bad, since there have been many shows I’ve thoroughly enjoyed that have excelled in that format, but when I haven’t yet been made to care about the majority of the characters, the flaws are more strongly emphasized for me. The anime original material, however, has definitely impressed.
Just wanted to say that I've noticed your absence and it's good to see you posting here again.

Dresden

qmpMnam.png

a swimmin' man, I see

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Little Busters ep. 1-3:
Alright, so far nothing has happened,m but the show is pretty damn funny. They are up to 6 members now, so maybe they will get to the 9 needed soon. I heard this one is pretty good but it will take me all week to finish. So far so good.... Any good romance stuff, or is it all pretty much drama?

little_busters-02-masato-ryousuke-riki-rin-komari-together-group-happy-cleaning.jpg

Cornbread, I gotta join you on the anime hype train once I take breaks from programming lol

Kekkai Sensen 1-8

Finally, someone who shares my view on the show lol

Sterok

Mikagura 8

RPG Eruna time. Seisa sure seemed interested in that shoulder massage. Usamaru either has the best or worst luck. Eruna naturally gets her second main love interest. Shigure needs to find someone to sub for him. Eruna gets really lucky in these tests. Otone sure is concerned about her image, even if she's not sure what she wants that image to be. Eruna is good at getting into people's houses. I'd question Godzilla Bimii, but what's the point. Eruna finally gets her second club member.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I think you might like Kyoukai no Kanata more, Cornbread.

Cornbread78

you gotta give me japanese names lol

Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!

Who's giving you all these horrible recommendation?

I'm pretty sure they are all from here, lol. I'm trying to clear out my Crunchy queue again, lol. Wait, that eyepatch reminds me of Yuki Yuna. .

I think I've watched almost all of the good Romcoms and straight romance series on Crunchy now. The Funi player is a pain and the Hulu site is meh. I have to dig more into Honey and Clover, but it's really a slow burner, lol.

Hattori

Banned
DC (Rewatch) 144-145
it's always nice to see Shinichi's parents, they bring a certain charm to episodes.

------
Cornbread, Have you seen Maison Ikkoku? If you haven't, you should add it to your RomCom list.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Kumiko being a legit interesting protagonist makes eupho so much better than it would other wise be, it might not be on the level of Hyouka but it's sure better than anything else Kyoani has done recently

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Kumiko being a legit interesting protagonist makes eupho so much better than it would other wise be, it might not be on the level of Hyouka but it's sure better than anything else Kyoani has done recently

Hyouka story and character had nothing to do with Kyoani since it was a LN adaption.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Hyouka story and character had nothing to do with Kyoani since it was a LN adaption.

1. I already know that, thanks

2. Yeah, there's no way Kyoani could possibly be responsible for making a good adaption, it was 100% the novel (not LN lol) :^) In fact, just skip the anime and read the novels since there's nothing be gained from adapting it :^)

Knowing your preference for the Euph novels, I'm curious how you feel about the adaptations (Hyouka and Euphonium) relative to each other.
I've not started the Kotenbu novels, but what I've read of the bonus short included in BD/DVD v9 is pretty much what was animated.

My opinion is that the previous post that hyped the surrounding individuals in Hyouka's anime overstated those characters' value. I'll easily cede Irisu as she was essentially the 5th main character from how much she appeared. Elsewhere you may have Sawaguchi appear in more than one story. The entire series focused around the main four and developed those. It's one reason why it's called the "Classics Club" series.

Takeda went in a different direction with Euphonium, and so you have to treat it differently. Instead of focusing only on four characters (and maybe a 5th), she went for a full ensemble effect, which is somewhat lost as the anime is pacing out only one novel's material. Unlike the anime, which includes various scenes like the bit of Hazuki/Shuichi's date and the corresponding Sapphire scenes, the novel goes around Kumiko, so you see what she does. That leads the reader to see many different people (I once equated it as saying "Kumiko is practicing for the audition while Hazuki is worrying over her date while Reina is trying to get the solo part in the concert while Natsuki is trying to stay in the performing group while the two tuba players are doing thier own thing, Yuko's trying to become closer to Kaori and not really fond of Natsuki, Haruka's trying to gain confidence in herself as a leader, Asuka's just trying to play the euphonium, and Taki wants to win Nationals." Congratulations, that's just chapter 3 in the novel. There's 3 other chapters there and 2 more novels. If that doesn't say "there's a lot of people each with their own motivations and depth" I don't know what does.

One could argue that the third novel has a lot of characters and I won't dispute that. Yonezawa had to delegate the novel to different viewpoints to achieve that and it worked well in animated form. It's just a smaller version of what Takeda did for her entire work.

Euphonium 08
Pack it up boys, it's not going to get better than this. Gotou was the true hero of this episode.

How do the novels actually deal with the whole "playing music" part of Euphonium?

I also like him, he and Kumiko have a really cool and unique thing going on. It's a shame that it's probably going to change in the next episodes.

Gotou and Riko are such a cute couple. The visuals and extra scene added made that immensely cuter here and fit well. I enjoy them being the secondary romance to Eupho (Kumiko/Euphonium being number 1).

Takeda didn't do a great job describing the music in the first novel, but the latter two devote pages to performances detailing the nuances and how Kumiko felt during them. It's very detailed and provides anything you'd want to know (almost to the point of overload really).

One aspect I like about the series is the whole "show, don't tell" motif copied from Takeda. Hazuki says "you two walk home together a lot, don't you?" and though that's pointed out later in that part, it's been shown a couple times previously. I point out again that the added scenes with Hazuki starting to crush on Shuichi help boost that part of the story above what the novel did.

I kinda like the realistic nature of Kumiko and Shuichi's relationship. It feels like something that happens all the time in real life and yet still captivates people.

Euphonium 8
I worry that it'll sound like I'm negative on this episode when I'm really not. I'm kinda melancholic over the probable lack of an adaptation of novel 3, which I'm immensely enjoying. Honestly, this kinda feels like a flashback to me, even though it's the first time I've seen it. Takeda did a great job showing growth and duration in the novels thus far for me to feel this way. A good episode that I'll review again once I get the BD in September/October.

Koi Kaze - 01

Strong opening episode. I'm a fan of the character designs, especially the MC who thankfully isn't one hot looking stud. Considering the topic of 'forbidden love' I'd think this kind of show would do itself disservice otherwise. For instance, Aku no Hana is one show that benefits from its art direction and character design massively I think because the viewer doesn't see any immediate appeal in Nakamura. If your characters have for instance highly abstracted faces and features like skin blemishes etc. are non-existent, well then they tend to look beautiful, rather than ugly. If Nakamura were just another attractive looking character her blackmailing and advances on Kasuga would probably regarded as "meh, whatever, she's good looking so it's kinda hot". Now that isn't how you should look at this, I mean the looks aren't really what matters, but for first impressions and immersion it certainly has an effect.

Anyways, in a similar manner it's also refreshing to see that he is 27 years old, therefore 12 older than his sister, and his life isn't running particularly well, having just gone through a breakup and questioning his existence a bit. Again the large year gab and fact that he isn't doing super well means the anime isn't going the easy route of "eh they're just one year apart and they've been close all the time, which has to lead to one thing, as ecchi shows and the likes of SAO will tell you!"

There was also this rather powerful scene already which helped a lot in empathizing with these two, especially the MC Koushirou.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
I dodged Koi Kaze cause of how whole incest theme behind the show...

Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!

that little girl with the eyepatch? i strayed away from it cause i heard the ending for it was heartbreaking.
suicide at some point in the show

ive brought it up and apparently that isnt the case, which i hope it is, so ill probably give it a look

cajunator

Banned
If only they made more Full Metal Panic.😌

Yeah I know it ain't possible due to business reasons with the Publisher but goddamn does it suck. It was one of the best things that came out of KyoAni.

I really like Full Metal Panic but I wouldnt want a new series. Its so long ago I dont think it would be the same. So they should move on to other things, as they have been.

I dodged Koi Kaze cause of how whole incest theme behind the show...

that little girl with the eyepatch? i strayed away from it cause i heard the ending for it was heartbreaking.
suicide at some point in the show

ive brought it up and apparently that isnt the case, which i hope it is, so ill probably give it a look

where on earth did you hear that rumor about Chuuni?
No it doesnt go anywhere near that.

Euphonium is a much better source material than nearly anything in recent seasons too. It and Hyouka easily show why the bar for a grand prize in the Kyoto Animation Awards is so high. The content has to be really good to meet it. If you don't, honorable mention/encouragement award you go.

If only they made more Full Metal Panic.😌

Yeah I know it ain't possible due to business reasons with the Publisher but goddamn does it suck. It was one of the best things that came out of KyoAni.

I'd worry over Gatou perverting it more than anything else at this point. He definitely likes to include things that get him off more than be a logical fit now. It's been nearly 10 years since TSR finished airing, so I doubt the content would hold up as well either. Nostalgia's a hell of a drug (as I'm seeing with people praising Hyouka more than Euphonium).

javac

I...liked Koi Kaze, although 'like' isn't the really the right word of course. It was really good, went into it blind and 'enjoyed' it. No idea why I watched it at the time, but I don't regret it in the slightest. It was alright, not something I'd ever watch again mind you, but eh in the spur of the moment it did its job, that being making me unconformable and tackling a theme with a bit more tact that most other series.

In any case, I just bought Space Dandy Collector Edition Blu-ray, curse my inability to resist cool looking packaging and good deal! T_T Doubt I'll like the show, why do I do this to myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom