• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, ToraDora was great, still not 100% turned around to how they ended that one though. Golden Time was surprisingly good considering I was warned that I could really dislike it, both had really good lead ups, but now the search for something similar starts, lol. Also, long live 2D-Kun. It would have been cool for him to have a The World Only God Knows moment and he mastered a 3D girl, lol.

If you want a decent and interesting romance anime go watch Romeo x Juliet. It's basically romeo and juliet if it was set in a fantasy with action world. It's a decent enough show.

Also watch the 'Ef' series (tale of memories/melodies). One of those comes first chronologically.

Nodame Cantabile is a must if you haven't watched it already.

Spice and Wolf is a very slow burn but it's really well done. Though apparently most of the romance is in the unadapted material from the LN's.

ibyea

Banned
If you want a decent and interesting romance anime go watch Romeo x Juliet. It's basically romeo and juliet if it was set in a fantasy with action world. It's a decent enough show.

Also watch the 'Ef' series (tale of memories/melodies). One of those comes first chronologically.

Spice and Wolf is a very slow burn but it's really well done. Though apparently most of the romance is in the unadapted material from the LN's.

Holy crap, how did this not get recommended earlier! ^_^

kewlmyc

FUNimation Announces "Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection ‘F’" Theatrical Dates

August 4 – 12, 2015!

I for one, am excited. I dunno if I'm the only one.

I would be excited if I had not seen half of it on youtube already and it had even the slight chance of airing anywhere near where I would be in August.

Guys, Mad Max was fucking incredible.

I'm craving some high octane action anime now.

Watch Redline

I second watching Redline.

Droplet

There was a nice article about Ayano Takeda, the author of the Euphonium novels, in today's Yomuri newspaper. I felt incredibly compelled to translate it, so here you go.

Also, Tamako Market is a fun show that the west hated because of the bird and the fact that they expected romantic love to be the main focus and it wasn't. That was for Tamako Love Story.

Holy shit, for someone who made a successful debut so early, she sure is grounded.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
From what I could tell, Koi Kaze is a more realistic, psychological take on incest. From what I could tell on TVTropes, the writer must have done a lot more research than the average pandering writer.
And the age gap? Japan's age of consent is different over there.

Ehhhhh, I don't know. I mean I like shows that ask questions and break boundaries but this might be a little too much for me.

I barely made it through it, sure some of S1 is heart warming or some bullshit.

do you like stories where the relationship doesn't go anywhere and the show tries to make it seem like "oh it's because of plot" but it's obviously an excuse to keep the same fucking dynamic going?

If you do, you'll be fine.

Nah its really fun. But its not gonna win writing awards.

Guess I won't watch it lol

Cornbread78

Thank you.
Romeo x Juliet- will look up
Nodame Cantabike- will look up
ef- I watched both already. Memories was really really intense once I got used to the presentation style and the story got going.
I have Spice & Wolf on my list already.

you should watch Full Moon O Sagashite although its pretty lengthy. Well worth it though.

I'll look it up.

Of course non of the above are on Crunchyroll, lol.

Already saw Redline but I feel like firing up the Blu Ray again and just watch the race scenes.

Fuckkkkkk. Cant sleep cause too much hype

Hibike! Euphonium 8

J81WwRM.gif

Holy shit. So is this yuri or just cock teasing? Nonetheless, I'm enjoying Kousaka and Kumiko's relationship develop. Looks like theres mutual admiration between the two and they reached some sort of intellectual understanding. But the banter tho. So much teasing and so much tension.

I feel bad for Hazuki but I'm glad she was able to get it over with. Its gonna suck now but it'll get better over time. Sapphire chan and her little sister were absolutely ridiculously cute, and that moment during the credits where they go and hug Hazuki was really heartwarming.

Goto and his girlfriend are really cute too.

Cornbread78

Little Busters ep.4-6
Ok, it's starting, damn good and sad arc for Komari. All those feels for Riki to handle and help out with.
Great scene with the stargazing all night, the animation was really well done and the details were really on point then the "date"
If this stays on this pace, I'm going to need a box of tissues for all them feels, this has tears written all over it...

fc6cef07abfaa21fd628eeb0a257246a.jpg

Anyone that's interested in Beyond the Boundary / Kyoukai no Kanata should just youtube for the fight scenes and disregard everything else. Fuyukai-desu.

The TV series was so unbearablely boring and had absolutely no payoff. I cannot help but think the movie would be a waste of my time as well.

To be honest, it kind of was. I found the movie enjoyable but it took wayyyyy too long for things to happen and then it just ends.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
uh there were like a handful of hyouka figures total

That's more because of the show popularity. Even if the overall figure sales were better, I doubt the fat girl will sell.

.______.

seriously, what's your problem with the Hyouka anime lol

=/ I don't remember ever saying it's bad either or imply it was better. In fact I never even read the novel, you were the one the bring up the change.

What made you said that? Unless you think the character change was a good move.

I don't know why this drag on so long either. May be I am just salty there are no k-on season 3.

Anyone that's interested in Beyond the Boundary / Kyoukai no Kanata should just youtube for the fight scenes and disregard everything else. Fuyukai-desu.

To be honest, it kind of was. I found the movie enjoyable but it took wayyyyy too long for things to happen and then it just ends.

At least watch the special videos to Beyond the Boundary. Unforgettable Hiroomi.

Midonin

Cornbread, I have a few suggestions for you as well. None of them that would be considered "great", but all enjoyable for various reasons.

Natsu no Arashi! - Two seasons, animated by Shaft, based on a manga from the author of School Rumble. Boy meets ghost girl at cafe, time travel and weird things happen.

11eyes - Based on a VN. Heavily truncated version of the main story, but it's a fun concept with a creepy parallel world, some light romance and superpowers.

Koihime Musou (Season 2, Season 3) - Based on a VN, but it cut out the player character entirely to focus on the girls in the best way possible. Cute girl version of China's Three Kingdoms period. Large cast, some lewd humor and an overall fun atmosphere.

Seeing how much people talk about Hibike! Euphonium today make me figure out "Kyoani" is really big brand.

I mean other great shows in this season like Kekkai Sensen never had as much as discussion like that, or last year's Shirobako need 4 months to finally get many attentions.

Though Euphonium anime is pretty good of course(even it's not my personally AOTS because it's a mainly school show, sorry), especially when you compare the "talking scene" between Euphonium and UBW, Euphonium won't bored me in any talking scene, meanwhile UBW's talking scene sometimes even make me wanna sleep, and the rhythm between action and talking is terrible, i know it's adaption, but can't Ufotable make it more fit to anime not just simply follow VN?

Zephyx

Well, since I'm probably the least picky person here so, lol.

I hope to fight another hidden romance like Golden Time soon, lol.

I don't think you'll find another romance anime like Golden Time soon. It was one of the best recent romance stories around
except for the ghost part, that sucks
. Although the ending was a bit forced, it still had a feel good outlook when it ended so it was fun. I may have the same taste as you do when it comes to romance stories so I'll also be checking out what they recced you.

For reference, here are some of what I've enjoyed recently:

Amagami SS and SS+ -> anime adapting a VN that follows an omnibus format. SS has the courting sequence while SS+ explores the relationship. The main character is a bit perverted though and I don't like his attitude but I still enjoyed it for what it is.

Sukitte Il na Yo -> shoujo anime that explores an introvert female being in a relationship with someone outgoing. Not that bad in terms of progression and the ending leaves a bit to be desired but the character development of the female MC was presented nicely.

I think I'll add more later if something else comes to mind.

sonicmj1

Sound! Euphonium 8

This show is making everything else look bad.

Other posters have talked about the difficulty the show has in juggling its large cast, and I can agree that some characters suffer somewhat because the spotlight doesn't have much time for them. But the sort of 'upside' of the challenge KyoAni undertook in this adaptation is that they're forced to be very economical in their storytelling. Only the most important points have time to be hammered home, so everything else is, for once in this medium's life, shown and not told. Reinforced by a strong script and working from great source material, the naturalistic dialogue is buttressed by subtle character performances that bring everyone to life. They're actually able to say one thing and mean something else, and the viewer's ability to pick up on these things is actually respected.

Xw3Jhfn.png

Goto's feelings are belied by his ears, not his words.

The climb up the mountain that works as the centerpiece of this episode is a beautiful example of all these great qualities. Kumiko's conversation with Kousaka is at turns admiring, introspective, and teasing, all without breaking mood. The romantic framing is acknowledged and subverted by the characters, and it feels more like friends gently poking fun at a weird turn of phrase than like something just for the benefit of the audience. Their mutual trust, Kumiko's admiration of Kousaka's conviction in her own ability, Kousaka's respect for her friend's awkward bluntness, both their struggles with the pressures of school and life, all come out in an organic, multilayered way without being hit too bluntly. It's so great.

Maybe firehawk would appreciate how the female characters here are actually treated as having adolescent romantic and/or sexual desires if he actually watched the show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom