• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Link Man

Banned
Sound! Euphonium 1

ibssPfBYbPFjfq.jpg

Very cute show, wonderful animation. Really looking forward to more!

Cornbread78

Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere S2, Ep 7-13:
I'm guessing since this is from a few years ago, they are never going to actually product the HMN 2 as mentioned in the closing screens, however, this was a pretty crazy ride regardless. There are a lot of open ends to this story, like does
Gin and Muneshige join with Musashi and the end of it? That was them at same bonfire as Futayo, right?

Either way, this is a pretty crazy ride, I mean, I was really hoping Tori would do something usefull by the end of it, but he does not by run around naked and dryhump things... Hopefully, they can generate a S3 to finish off the series appropriately, but from what I get around here, this is the norm in the Anime world and a lot of series are left hanging with no conclusion.

The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan 01

I like this artstyle much more than I liked the original anime's artstyle and I think this was a great first episode. I'm glad Nagato has something of a personality now instead of just 'teh rei'.

Joe Molotov

Go! Princess Precure 10

So is Haruharu's roommate just gonna be the friend that knows the Precure's secret, or is she gonna get to become a Cure eventually? Obviously having two blue Cure's is out of the question, but her hair color could change post-transformation.

Veitsev

Cornbread you may want to use MyAnimeList (MAL) to find out information like series order. Things are pretty clearly laid out with links to sequels and such. For example the Nisemonogatari page has a link to the next part under sequel. Makes things easier to follow.

Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere S2, Ep 7-13:
I'm guessing since this is from a few years ago, they are never going to actually product the HMN 2 as mentioned in the closing screens, however, this was a pretty crazy ride regardless. There are a lot of open ends to this story, like does
Gin and Muneshige join with Musashi and the end of it? That was them at same bonfire as Futayo, right?

Either way, this is a pretty crazy ride, I mean, I was really hoping Tori would do something usefull by the end of it, but he does not by run around naked and dryhump things... Hopefully, they can generate a S3 to finish off the series appropriately, but from what I get around here, this is the norm in the Anime world and a lot of series are left hanging with no conclusion.
My only hope for an S3 is in the fact that it sold extremely well, and that Durarara sets a sort of precedence for something getting a sequel adaptation years after the original.

NeonZ

Usually that happens due to series selling badly and being based in incomplete source material. So, it leaves things open to continue with later seasons, but doesn't because it doesn't sell enough for those seasons. However, in this case, it both sold well and there was more source material available. It's a really big oddity.

Midonin

Sound! Euphonium 01

I've been chasing after the next K-ON! since the first one ended, so for me this anime being like K-ON! would be a good thing. It is my favorite anime overall, after all. But as I also realized long ago, the next K-ON! is actually Tamayura. At least in terms of tone and feelings invoked. Saying the K-ON! isn't about music sort of misses the point, but saying that it's about eating cake also misses the point. Then there's a whole thing I want to go into about how a light novel and a novel are both still novels, so the amount of separation between them shouldn't be that great. That's a topic for another day, though.

Because if Euphonium is the next anything, it's the next TARI TARI. Which I also liked, for different reasons - one of which is its earnest embrace of Super Sentai as a plot device. Now as far as Euphonium itself goes.

I was also in a band in middle school - and I played the trombone. So I know what they're talking about here. Sapphire really is a DQN name, but she herself is pretty cute, and I hope this becomes an example of how anime can do drama and have people like it without the need to be self-referential or calling it "forced" or "melo". OP is wonderful and ED is pretty cute.

This was one of my most anticipated series of the season, and while I don't care too much about animation quality, I can admit it looks nice. Got a lot of potential and I hope it's a winner. It has K-ON!!'s old time slot after all. If it can deliver emotions even half as powerful, it'll be great.

Sound! Euphonium 01

I've been chasing after the next K-ON! since the first one ended, so for me this anime being like K-ON! would be a good thing. It is my favorite anime overall, after all. But as I also realized long ago, the next K-ON! is actually Tamayura. At least in terms of tone and feelings invoked. Saying the K-ON! isn't about music sort of misses the point, but saying that it's about eating cake also misses the point. Then there's a whole thing I want to go into about how a light novel and a novel are both still novels, so the amount of separation between them shouldn't be that great. That's a topic for another day, though.

Because if Euphonium is the next anything, it's the next TARI TARI. Which I also liked, for different reasons - one of which is its earnest embrace of Super Sentai as a plot device. Now as far as Euphonium itself goes.

I was also in a band in middle school - and I played the trombone. So I know what they're talking about here. Sapphire really is a DQN name, but she herself is pretty cute, and I hope this becomes an example of how anime can do drama and have people like it without the need to be self-referential or calling it "forced" or "melo". OP is wonderful and ED is pretty cute.

This was one of my most anticipated series of the season, and while I don't care too much about animation quality, I can admit it looks nice. Got a lot of potential and I hope it's a winner. It has K-ON!!'s old time slot after all. If it can deliver emotions even half as powerful, it'll be great.

TARI TARI doesn't have big romance part, this one may have, at least the source material have so depends how kyoani adapt it.

Jarmel

Banned
Sound Euphonium-1
You know how I know this isn't K-ON? There are actual males in the show. This was a very lowkey episode. Despite it being a 'musical show' right now it feels more like a traditional sports anime along the lines of say Haikyuu. The main character right now is pretty aimless so the show doesn't have a drive at this point. I can see the drama coming though and I'm not sure if I'm going to necessarily like it or even if the execution is going to be satisfactory, judging by that opening sequence.
iboygipUZJe7Qj.jpg

I can already hear, "Not quite my tempo".
The direction is pretty standard right now, in that nothing stands out as either particularly good or bad. That said you can see that the staff put a lot of time into the setting stage of production. I'm sure all of those classmates have some sort of history written down. On that note the writing did do a good job at making the dialogue feel fairly naturalistic.
Visual-wise, this is certainly Kyoani's strongest attempt since Hyouka. They might be abusing that DOF shot effect too much but it's clear they're pumping a lot of time into the backgrounds, instruments, and actual hand motions. The character designs themselves are also fairly good. The music itself was fine.

So I'm pretty much in a circling pattern with this. I can taste the bad sports drama but nothing's been offensive yet. I might get sick of nu-Mugi super quick though. The visuals are extremely good at least.

Cornbread78

Cornbread you may want to use MyAnimeList (MAL) to find out information like series order. Things are pretty clearly laid out with links to sequels and such. For example the Nisemonogatari page has a link to the next part under sequel. Makes things easier to follow.

Good deal, TY, I'll look that up there.

My only hope for an S3 is in the fact that it sold extremely well, and that Durarara sets a sort of precedence for something getting a sequel adaptation years after the original.

Well, it would be nice for the story to at least be completed, even if they do it all in movie format...

Euphonium - 01

I haven't been exposed to much music/band anime, but I found this interesting which caught me a little off guard.
Right now I'm mostly just looking forward seeing the instruments in action. I'm somewhat intrigued by the thought that it's not just plain guitars and drums or whatever.
I mean fuck, I barerly know the names of the of the instruments featured. There's the trumpet, right? and the UFO, and.. violin? oh and saxophone surely? Yeah! Can't wait to learn things. Dat Asuka though

Hibike! Euphonium 01

Did Kyoani stuck in 2009? they keep making same show and same show and same show.

Yes, that's why K-ON is the same as Nichijou is the same as Hyouka is the same as Chuu2Koi is the same as Free is the same as...

Wait, that's not true at all.

TARI TARI doesn't have big romance part, this one may have, at least the source material have so depends how kyoani adapt it.

I'm pretty sure from what I've heard that that's incorrect; Sound! Euphonium was confused by people with another novel the author wrote that is centered on romance.

Yes, that's why K-ON is the same as Nichijou is the same as Hyouka is the same as Chuu2Koi is the same as Free is the same as...

Wait, that's not true at all.

I'm pretty sure from what I've heard that that's incorrect; Sound! Euphonium was confused by people with another novel the author wrote that is centered on romance.

Yet you missing 1 of Hanada Kyoani show.

And what kind of confusing you talking about, never heard there's other LN's title very close to this one, and i'm not incorrect.

Kyuur

Man, besides Hibike this season looks empty in terms of new stuff. Sequels and crap everywhere. :/ Anything else good? I tried "Dungeon ni Deai o Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka?" after seeing some impressions here and it was terrible.

Sendou

Man, besides Hibike this season looks empty in terms of new stuff. Sequels and crap everywhere. :/ Anything else good? I tried "Dungeon ni Deai o Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka?" after seeing some impressions here and it was terrible.

That's the only one I didn't like. Everyone just seemed outright annoying. Shokugeki no Souma, Plastic Memories and even Gunslinger Stratos seemed decent enough. In addition I'm excited to see how Punchline is.

Blood Battle Blockade, and Arslan Senki were really good with their premieres. They are imo one of the best series airing this Season.

I would also include Gunslinger Stratos since I enjoyed it, but I don't know if you would like it.

Clov

Apart from Hibike, I loved the first episodes of Show by Rock and Blood Blockade Battlefront. Really fun stuff.

Clov

Discotek says that they have new license announcements coming today! Wonder what they've managed to grab this time?

Midonin

Speaking of announcements, CR has a few more catalog title boxes. I'm hoping that S1 and 2 of Tesagure are among them, but considering the timing, I think one of them might also be Amagi.

Sound! Euphonium 1:
This was certainly a nice looking show, and it was a pleasing enough viewing experience. I didn't love it, but I enjoyed the episode enough to keep watching, and hopefully the story will wind up developing in an interesting enough way. For now, I can at least say that it looks like this will definitely be one of the best produced shows of the season.

Hibike! Euphorium - 01 and Kekkai Sensen - 01

First two shows in this new season I enjoyed so far. Not expecting greatness from either but maybe I'll be mistaken in that.

Alright then...I guess I could continue Eureka Seven now, though I really hope the final stretch will be initiated with this episode 41. It's kinda ludicrous to ask for a final stretch when there's still 10 episodes left but I don't expect there to be some more than one 'arc' left when I went through ~15 episodes of build-up, more or less.

Narag

The Legend of Sirius BD first! Ignoring that one among all the other Sanrio releases in Blu-ray Disc they brought over was a bit cruel...

Did that release end up ok? Could have sworn it was a little problematic but I can't remember where I got that from.

And what kind of confusing you talking about, never heard there's other LN's title very close to this one, and i'm not incorrect.

Ayano Takeda won the 2013 Japanese Love Story award from Takarajimasha for her manuscript "We breathed the same air." Said manuscript was published in May 2013. Her second work was the first "Sound! Euphonium" novel released in December 2013. In addition to writing shorts published on the novel's website, she also wrote two additional novels in that series published in March and April 2015. A collection of the shorts will be published in May 2015.

The "Sound! Euphonium" series is not a romantic series at all. It's just as described: an adolescent drama focused around the concert band at North Uji and their attempt to go to the national concert. There were people who read that she won the Love Story award in 2013 and did not read that it was for a different novel.

Alright then...I guess I could continue Eureka Seven now, though I really hope the final stretch will be initiated with this episode 41. It's kinda ludicrous to ask for a final stretch when there's still 10 episodes left but I don't expect there to be some more than one 'arc' left when I went through ~15 episodes of build-up, more or less.

You're in for a treat. The last 10 episodes of Eureka Seven are what really kicked the show into high gear for me.

/XX/

Did that release end up ok? Could have sworn it was a little problematic but I can't remember where I got that from.
I'm not sure, man. Didn't do a research about it anyway because I thought that release would be a better one by defect than whatever we have overseas now (here in Spain, for example, it has never been edited. Only have seen a French version of dubious quality). :-(

And parotaku (@Parotaku), as always, comes to the rescue! Mentions the transfer is acceptable, conserving much fine detail, as long as you can obviate the problems derived from an old celluloid transfer without any additional re-touches done to it. I'm certainly fine with that. Shame about those screenshots not being hosted anymore... typical, just when you most need it!

Cornbread78

Monogatari ep. 1-5:
I'll be sad when these episodes and the Araragi story, as well as the Senjo & Araragi stories are over. The writing is really good in this series and I can understand how the text/discussion heavy format is a turn-off for some, however, the material and stories are great. Finally setting
Hanekawa
felt really good as she faces her demons as well as strengthening Araragi's resolve to be with Senjo, we'll see if it lasts through the last few spisodes.

cajunator

Banned
My combo order comes in tomorrow.

Try Legend of the Legendary Heroes. It's not totally grimdark, but it definitely has plenty of moments.

Fullmetal Alchemist + FMA Brotherhood are good too, and the later stuff in it fits that.

Mine is delayed :(
But usually right after I lament that the email comes a day or so later so heres hoping.

I forgot last weeks releases because I was busy, sorry about that. This is this weeks releases, for 04/07/15.

DVD

Might pick up DRRR this itme around.

Outbreak Company Episode 1

So let me get this straight; MC simply fills out an ad-type questionnaire filled with overly simple "anime" questions, gets offered job interview, goes to said interview, gets drugged, teleported to mysterious land, finds out he's been roped into being an ambassador for magical land discovered through a recently found super secret portal, told he needs to teach everyone in magic land "otaku culture" because he's an "expert," and with absolutely no experience or knowledge of the land will be meeting the Queen the following day? All because he filled out an online questionnaire correctly?

Eh, honestly, I think I prefer this over a more dragged out introduction. Gets straight to the point. Thanks to the quick pace, what probably would've been a boring episode was enjoyable. The MCs obsession with otaku stuff and being in a land that's basically a real-life version of it is comical, not to mention I have a soft spot for the modern-day-MC-gets-teleported-to-magical-land trope. Animation is nice, too. This could be a good show. Fingers crossed.

Outbreak company is pretty fun too. Myucel is a cutie! I wish it was longer but its a fun little diversion. The art style is pretty unique. Only seen eye design like that in Unbreakable machine Dolls and Oreshura.

Plastic Memories 1

What a way to start a show. I really like the art style and story they're going for. This is definitely the show that caught me off guard just like Your Lie in April did last season.

Also I knew I recognized the art style. This made by the people who made Engaged to the Unidentified and Nozaki-kun: Dogakobo

Edit: This show is probably gonna destroy me. One episode in and I'm already getting sad. ;_;

That art studio already seems to have a great reputation and solid work behind it. Looking forward to what else they come up with.

If you like this then be sure to also check out Steins;Gate as the guy who wrote its visual novel is writing this.

I second this!

What are some good anime this season? I just resubbed my Crunchy Roll after not having watched anything last season either, and wanted some animes to watch and catch up on during my break right now.

Show By rock, Dungeon, Plastic Memories, Food wars seem to be the consensus.

Nisemonogatari Ep. 8
OMFG, WTF was that? OMFG? Nooooooooo. The toothbrush! Umm,
That's your sister dude, like WTF, a toothbrush sex game?

Seriously, where do they come up with this stuff? I think I just laughed my ass off in the Subway on break, so bad.. but, luckily I can take that as a joke and he didn't really
touch her physically did he? I mean, the vampire chick I can see it because she's part of him now and hundreds of years old, but his sister? OMG, WTF, wow
Just wow.. next episode..

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
You have reached the zenith. Its downhill from there.

Sora no Woto 3

Realest look at excessively spherical fruits & vegetables in a third episode since Yoake Mae yori Ruriiro na.

I understood that reference!
The lettuce is not round in my DVDs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom