• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys where is this from

PSY・S;158947135 said:
tumblr_nix00kcUxr1u9o7gzo1_400.gif

tumblr_nix00kcUxr1u9o7gzo2_400.gif

tumblr_nix00kcUxr1u9o7gzo3_400.gif

tumblr_nix00kcUxr1u9o7gzo4_400.gif

tumblr_nix00kcUxr1u9o7gzo5_400.gif

My respect for Miyazaki has reached new heights. I must see more.

Saudades

Aki no Kanade
Thanks for recommending. Didn't plan to check out any of this year's Anime Mirai after I saw the lineup and was not interested in any but this changed my mind (particularly the Only Yesterday/mono no aware mention).
This is indeed a nice short. But as you mentioned some of the scenes near the end could use a little more time (
the scene in which Aki's father derides drumming and her reaction to it was way too rushed
).

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I decided to rewatch a bit of Azumanga after I mentioned it the other day.

It reminded me of what SoLs need more of: 20something+ women getting drunk.

Cornbread78

Nisemonogatari ep. 9-11
A pretty good ending here, but is this the ending of the storyline? It says "to be continued" at the ending, but I don't see any 12+ episodes anywhere. If there is a continuation of the story, does it change names again?
as odd as it is portrayed at times, he loves his sisters, I hope they did continue the story so I can see his introduction of Senjou to them.

phaze

Lol, I watched that for the first time last night as well. It's so...

Nisemonogatari ep. 9-11
A pretty good ending here, but is this the ending of the storyline? It says "to be continued" at the ending, but I don't see any 12+ episodes anywhere. If there is a continuation of the story, does it change names again?
as odd as it is portrayed at times, he loves his sisters, I hope they did continue the story so I can see his introduction of Senjou to them.

url

There is a prequel - Nekomonogatari (black) with focus on Hanekawa and it isn't available on Crunchyroll. But I would say it's non essential (and weakest) part, a lot of which was already spelled out in the last arc of Bake. The next thing up on Crunchyroll is Monogatari Second Season.

Jarmel

Banned
Disappearance of Nagato-1
2848792-wishmaster210.jpg

A series where Nagato wins you say?
So yea I didn't like this for a few reasons. First is the lack of Kyon-kun's monologues. That was a defining part of the original series in that he would provide cynical input and be entertaining as well. Here Kyon-kun feels flat and nobody else really picks up the slack leaving a void. It would be like having Monogatari without the rapid fire dialogue. There were multiple times throughout the episode where scenes were just left hanging.

Second is that as much as I hate Haruhi at times, she was crucial to the group dynamics. Here the Literature Club is dead as fuck. As Kyon-kun pointed out in the movie, life with her was at least entertaining. I can't say the same with Nagato right now. We had an episode about chasing a damn turkey. Too many of the group dynamics are missing right now, leaving a husk of the Literature Club.

Third is that I'm just completely underwhelmed by the visuals and especially the character designs. Nagato can be cute at times but that's really it. The backgrounds are also not on Kyoani's level, not that I expected it. The music isn't anything special either.

It's like somebody took all the fun out of the Haruhi franchise and left us with this shambling corpse. I feel like this isn't for people who enjoyed the original series.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Alright animeGAF, my friend is currently getting into anime. He tends to enjoy "dark anime with fighting and a tad bit romance" as he mention to me. Here are some anime he did enjoy: Sword Art Online, Ga-Rei Zero, Guilty Crown, Elfen Lied, Fate/Stay Night. I recommend to him Tokyo Ghoul and Parastyle. Any suggestions?
feel like animeGAF doesnt like some of his taste, but each their own! :)

Hey firehawk12....
Poi poi

Code Geass. The answer is Code Geass. There's no way someone that liked that list of things won't go apeshit for Geass.
Attack on Titan is also a very, very safe bet.

Tytania was written by the same person and that didn't stop it being a terrible series. Just because one series was fantastic doesn't mean that everything else will be.

Tytania was not THAT bad, just completely cut off.
Sure, main char is no Yang Wen-Li, but hey, not eve Yang Wen-Li was that good in the first part.

Plastic mémories - 01

i like the concept , but at the same time i really dislike it .

THE OVERALL THEME OF THE ANIME just annoy me.

DROPPED

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Funi charges for streaming subscriptions too. Jdramas were probably cheap for them to license.
They're not though, which is why Crunchyroll was never able to get Jdramas... and even then, it looks like they just got the scraps.

Disappearance of Nagato-1
It's like somebody took all the fun out of the Haruhi franchise and left us with this shambling corpse. I feel like this isn't for people who enjoyed the original series.
The thing is, I don't even know what Haruhi is anymore after all this time, so I don't really miss anything. Then again, as a fan of shoujo, it's this and UtaPri as the only real choices this season for me.

They're not though, which is why Crunchyroll was never able to get Jdramas... and even then, it looks like they just got the scraps.

The thing is, I don't even know what Haruhi is anymore after all this time, so I don't really miss anything. Then again, as a fan of shoujo, it's this and UtaPri as the only real choices this season for me.
Crunchy has been licensing Jdramas. Their biggest partners are Fuji and NTV, which they've licensed a lot of series from. Any premium subscription can view them now. (some rights prevent episodes though, likely due to music).

Is Mono a direct story continuation of Nise?

I wrote a long post regarding sequels/adaptations/etc of the -monogatari series. It should satisfy you in what to watch next.

phaze

Gintama 01-02

Not a big fan of character designs but I will manage. Oh and Kagura's voice is grating !

Tackling a +250 episode show is scary. I can't believe I marathoned ~450 episodes of Naruto and ~ 230 episodes of Bleach not that long ago. Anyhow - it wasn't particularly riveting but it has potential. 25 episode rule I guess. ^_^

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Crunchy has been licensing Jdramas. Their biggest partners are Fuji and NTV, which they've licensed a lot of series from. Any premium subscription can view them now. (some rights prevent episodes though, likely due to music).
Looking at their simulcast tab though, they have one show and one original show about cosplaying.

Looking at their simulcast tab though, they have one show and one original show about cosplaying.

The dramas have mostly been catalog additions. Here's the total list of dramas (which tend not to get as much hype as anime when announced). Dramas are expensive to simulcast and the numbers for the ones they did simulcast likely weren't enough to get simulcast rights (but would be good for catalog instead). It could also be that the drama viewers prefer watching the show in one session instead of weekly.

Sendou

I have been watching Gintama too. It sure is intimidating to start watching long series but I have noticed it's often worth it. It would be perfect if I could get all the references. Well even failing to do so there hasn't been a dull episode so far. 33 (
the one where they rebuild the house
) was especially hilarious (going to watch 35 next). Kagura is the best character hands down.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The dramas have mostly been catalog additions. Here's the total list of dramas (which tend not to get as much hype as anime when announced). Dramas are expensive to simulcast and the numbers for the ones they did simulcast likely weren't enough to get simulcast rights (but would be good for catalog instead). It could also be that the drama viewers prefer watching the show in one session instead of weekly.
Oh, I know this, and understand why there's an active jdrama subtitling scene. I think the GTO Taiwan jdrama was the only true simulcast in recent memory. I just think it's weird for Funimation to get into the jdrama game when CR isn't really doing all that great at it. The people who watch jdrama will have already seen them... whether by various means or maybe even via satellite TV/cable TV by getting the Japanese channels directly.

I guess in terms of just having a Netflix-style back catalog, it makes sense as a business model. But having two major (and 2 minor) anime streaming services is already silly... have 2 jdrama streaming services sounds like someone with money is going insane. lol

Black Hat

Gintama 01-02

Not a big fan of character designs but I will manage. Oh and Kagura's voice is grating !

Tackling a +250 episode show is scary. I can't believe I marathoned ~450 episodes of Naruto and ~ 230 episodes of Bleach not that long ago. Anyhow - it wasn't particularly riveting but it has potential. 25 episode rule I guess. ^_^

Episodes 1-2 can be skipped as the show actually starts at Episode 3.

25 episode rule is good because episode 25 RULES.

You will be hooked.
You will laugh.
You will change your mind about Kagura-chan!

Oh, I know this, and understand why there's an active jdrama subtitling scene. I think the GTO Taiwan jdrama was the only true simulcast in recent memory. I just think it's weird for Funimation to get into the jdrama game when CR isn't really doing all that great at it. The people who watch jdrama will have already seen them... whether by various means or maybe even via satellite TV/cable TV by getting the Japanese channels directly.

I guess in terms of just having a Netflix-style back catalog, it makes sense as a business model. But having two major (and 2 minor) anime streaming services is already silly... have 2 jdrama streaming services sounds like someone with money is going insane. lol

I imagine Fuji's quite pleased with the number or else they wouldn't be expanding the drama section. ("Is there a vet" was another true simulcast, but from NTV, and GTO 2014 was a simulcast too) Dramas just aren't big enough of a market to have simulcasts at this point. We'll likely see some tried when the amount of viewers grow, but that takes time.

Funi's basically trying to attack Crunchyroll's marketshare from streaming now that disc sales continue to drop each year. It's the standard American "undercut your competitors and take the losses until they can't" strategy. I'm trying to stay impartial in my posts, but I will make a disclaimer that I support Crunchy in this situation.

I imagine Fuji's quite pleased with the number or else they wouldn't be expanding the drama section. ("Is there a vet" was another true simulcast, but from NTV, and GTO 2014 was a simulcast too) Dramas just aren't big enough of a market to have simulcasts at this point. We'll likely see some tried when the amount of viewers grow, but that takes time.

Funi's basically trying to attack Crunchyroll's marketshare from streaming now that disc sales continue to drop each year. It's the standard American "undercut your competitors and take the losses until they can't" strategy. I'm trying to stay impartial in my posts, but I will make a disclaimer that I support Crunchy in this situation.

Is Funi really in such a stronger financial position where they can adopt that kind of strategy?

Is Funi really in such a stronger financial position where they can adopt that kind of strategy?

Given the constant sales of Dragon Ball Z in any format, yes. That's really their biggest hit though as more recent titles don't sell as well as the nostalgic hits like Bebop and to a lesser extent, Haruhi do/will. They also have stronger money coming in for DBZ from rights fees from Cartoon Network/Adult Swim. It and Naruto are the only non-Ghibli titles in the amount of units sold in the top 20 from 2011-2012. I can't understate how just having such a title can give you freedom to flop on other titles.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

There has to be demand for jdramas though, since it's basically the only other genre/medium that has active fansubbing communities. It's probably more active than anime fansubbing, given the shift to legal streaming in recent years.

As for Funi... their strength is in dubs, which is why they can charge more for them. I suppose they already forced CR's hand by making them combine all their plans into one basic plan that covers everything, but I feel like this ends with both parties losing.

Jarmel

Banned
UBW S2-1

Events are handled so poorly in this show, mainly in how they're resolved. It's clear ufotable is trying but the way the writing is structured, really doesn't leave them much in terms of improving the source. The show needed a serious rewrite so that events flowed better instead of shit like Rin letting Shinji wander off or Caster letting Rin leave. There's no tension despite scenes obviously supposed to be having it. So I suppose this again does go back to the bad direction.

There has to be demand for jdramas though, since it's basically the only other genre/medium that has active fansubbing communities. It's probably more active than anime fansubbing, given the shift to legal streaming in recent years.

As for Funi... their strength is in dubs, which is why they can charge more for them. I suppose they already forced CR's hand by making them combine all their plans into one basic plan that covers everything, but I feel like this ends with both parties losing.

Manga/Light novels also have fansubbers too. (former one here)

Dramas definitely have some demand and some growing pains to go through. There used to be a decent amount of live-action movies brought over from Viz and other publishers that fell through due to lower sales than the fees needed. Streaming could capitalize on that demand.

You are right that Funi's entire strategy prior to 2013 was to focus on dubs and promote those heavily. The problem now is that dubs are starting to cost more money than what they are making via sales for some titles. Hence the "Broadcast dub" strategy to try and get people who wouldn't buy a $40 title to buy a $8 a month streaming subscription.

Crunchy's strategy to combine everything into the premium subscription may have been forced by Funi, but it may have been in the works previously. That's something we won't know unless we have internal information.

Regardless, a race to the bottom strategy in anime (as seen by the 2009 shift to cour sets) isn't going to work well for anyone involved. Funi's trying to bully their way back to relevancy at the cost of the market.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Regardless, a race to the bottom strategy in anime (as seen by the 2009 shift to cour sets) isn't going to work well for anyone involved. Funi's trying to bully their way back to relevancy at the cost of the market.
Meanwhile, Sentai is somehow still in business. lol

One of my podcast cohosts does the Funi dub subscription as well, since he prefers dubs. There's certainly a demand for that, and that seems to be a viable business for them, but I see that as something that at least differentiates them from CR. If they try to get into manga and jdramas and whatnot later on, it's going to be special kind of mess. lol

Puruzi

Banned
Nice, I'll have to scroll through it once I'm done watching Mono. I'm like it huh? Not sure how to take that one, lol.

Sweet, is it the last one available, or is there more after (not the pre-quil)?

Hanamonogatari and Tsukimonogatari come afterwards, but they're 5 and 4 episodes each

hamchan

As someone who recently got back into this thing, while looking at the two streaming services and which to join, Funi beat Crunchyroll with a cheaper sub, plus their titles of stuff from the 90s and early 2000s which I love. It wasn't a very hard choice for me as a consumer coming back in tbh.

Was debating to just sub to both but there's so much to watch I can go check out CR later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom