• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Giant Robo - 2

Yeesh, from Photon Power in Mazinger Z leading to
the invasion of Hell
to the Shizuma Drive
causing devices to go kaput across the globe
, remind me never to be the one that gets control of a new energy source that helps the world in a mecha anime because it WILL end up screwing everybody over.

As someone who recently got back into this thing, while looking at the two streaming services and which to join, Funi beat Crunchyroll with a cheaper sub, plus their titles of stuff from the 90s and early 2000s which I love. It wasn't a very hard choice for me as a consumer coming back in tbh.

Was debating to just sub to both but there's so much to watch I can go check out CR later.

It really depends in what you are interested in. Funimation has a back catalogue that goes further back with a lot of iconic titles. However Crunchy tends to be stronger at simulcasting (except for maybe last season). And if you live outside America Funimation isn't really an option at all.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Ace of Diamond S2 01

Really? Back to back recap episodes? Bleh.

One Piece 687

Really love this OP. Might be my favorite OP in all of OP. Some really nice touches and the song is quite catchy.

Baby Steps S2 01

And this is the laziest OP ever. They are using the same exact OP song as the first season smh. It sucked the first time around too.

Enjoyable episode though. Looking forward to watching this every week.

Quasar

I imagine Fuji's quite pleased with the number or else they wouldn't be expanding the drama section. ("Is there a vet" was another true simulcast, but from NTV, and GTO 2014 was a simulcast too) Dramas just aren't big enough of a market to have simulcasts at this point. We'll likely see some tried when the amount of viewers grow, but that takes time.

Funi's basically trying to attack Crunchyroll's marketshare from streaming now that disc sales continue to drop each year. It's the standard American "undercut your competitors and take the losses until they can't" strategy. I'm trying to stay impartial in my posts, but I will make a disclaimer that I support Crunchy in this situation.

With last season I actually thought their new strategy was using dubbing and disc revenue to allow them to push licensing higher than what CR could afford. With this season I'm a bit confused though.

Defuser

Blood Blockade Battlefront ep 1
This is like a reverse Gintama where Shinpachi is actually a protagonist. Not to mention is shonen as fuck yo.

Gintama + Kill la Kill + Space Dandy

Veitsev

As someone who recently got back into this thing, while looking at the two streaming services and which to join, Funi beat Crunchyroll with a cheaper sub, plus their titles of stuff from the 90s and early 2000s which I love. It wasn't a very hard choice for me as a consumer coming back in tbh.

Was debating to just sub to both but there's so much to watch I can go check out CR later.

I have subbed to both and I think CR easily has the better selection of anime. This season in particular looks quite a bit better than what Funi is offering. Their site is also far better designed and more responsive.

Arcadius

Banned
Haibane Renmei

What a show. I didn't know what to expect when it was recommended to me. The artsyle/drawing is beautiful and visually striking; it caught me off guard by how breathtaking it was. The first 5 episodes are slice of life stuff, slow paced and perfectly stitched together, but starting with the 6th, things start taking firing on all cylinders. I wasn't expecting an emotional rollercoaster, but that's what happened and I loved every second of it.

Jarmel

Banned
Kill la Kill because of the sword and Dandy because sakuga? iunno

ibjjm5kJwNO87j.jpg

nuuuuddddiiisssttt beeaaccchhh

Oh, I know this, and understand why there's an active jdrama subtitling scene. I think the GTO Taiwan jdrama was the only true simulcast in recent memory. I just think it's weird for Funimation to get into the jdrama game when CR isn't really doing all that great at it. The people who watch jdrama will have already seen them... whether by various means or maybe even via satellite TV/cable TV by getting the Japanese channels directly.

I guess in terms of just having a Netflix-style back catalog, it makes sense as a business model. But having two major (and 2 minor) anime streaming services is already silly... have 2 jdrama streaming services sounds like someone with money is going insane. lol

Why you never watch Nobunaga Concerto drama, or in last season, Kyoto Five Stars and Why cant Seiya Todoin Get a Girlfriend, all three true simulcasts were great.

Midonin

In the narrow category of "non-kids' anime that haven't been simulcast in the past few seasons", this and Jinsei have been been claimed. The only one that hasn't is Amagi.

If some company picked up Amagi and, for the hell of it, Hyouka, the reactions would be interesting.

Let's hope Sentai proves the second part of my statement right.

(Of course, Nanoha Vivid is now added to that category, but I've been over that already.)

Midonin

Also speaking of licensing, I'm a bit disappointed that Milky Holmes and Symphogear both sort of fell through the simulcasting hole (Holmes after its second season, Symphogear after its first), especially since both have had/are going to have new seasons within this year.

But I also know they're both heavily based around music sung by their stars, which might impact things.

Clov

Didn't care for Hyouka personally but still find it sad its never going to be picked up

Amagi Brilliant Park, which missed streaming gets picked up, and your first reaction is that Hyouka's situation is still hopeless? If anything, it's the opposite. Aren't they both Kadokawa properties, or am I mistaken?

Amagi Brilliant Park, which missed streaming gets picked up, and your first reaction is that Hyouka's situation is still hopeless? If anything, it's the opposite. Aren't they both Kadokawa properties, or am I mistaken?

Amagi has rights held by TBS as confirmed by a photo on their facebook at an international licensing event.

Clov

Amagi has rights held by TBS as confirmed by a photo on their facebook at an international licensing event.

Huh, wonder why it missed simulcasting then? Sentai usually snatches TBS stuff right away.

In any case, I'm somewhat more hopeful regarding Hyouka. I'm sure Sentai is aware that there's some demand for the title.

Huh, wonder why it missed simulcasting then? Sentai usually snatches TBS stuff right away.

In any case, I'm somewhat more hopeful regarding Hyouka. I'm sure Sentai is aware that there's some demand for the title.

The best guess knowing the market is that Sentai wasn't willing to pay what TBS wanted to simulcast it. They waited and got it for cheaper once time went by.

I'm sure the R1 companies know there's a demand for Hyouka, but it's all about making it worthwhile for them money-wise. Additionally, we know Sentai may have it as they keep quiet on some licenses until solicitation and waited until Kadokawa released their BD-Box earlier this year as part of the contract/agreement. That's an option not many have thought of.

Clov

The best guess knowing the market is that Sentai wasn't willing to pay what TBS wanted to simulcast it. They waited and got it for cheaper once time went by.

I'm sure the R1 companies know there's a demand for Hyouka, but it's all about making it worthwhile for them money-wise. Additionally, we know Sentai may have it as they keep quiet on some licenses until solicitation and waited until Kadokawa released their BD-Box earlier this year as part of the contract/agreement. That's an option not many have thought of.

Yeah, that's true. Sometimes they really surprise me with their announcements. They can come out of nowhere.

Not sure if you'd know this, but is the license for Nichijou up for grabs, or is it still tangled up with what's left of Bandai Entertainment? Seems odd that nobody picked it up after their closure given how popular it is.

Yeah, that's true. Sometimes they really surprise me with their announcements. They can come out of nowhere.

Not sure if you'd know this, but is the license for Nichijou up for grabs, or is it still tangled up with what's left of Bandai Entertainment? Seems odd that nobody picked it up after their closure given how popular it is.

As soon as the decision was made for Bandai to stop releasing new titles, they returned both Nichijou and Gosick back to Kadokawa in 2011/2012. They've been free for someone to license, but I imagine the price for a niche comedy stopped people from going after it again.

Clov

As soon as the decision was made for Bandai to stop releasing new titles, they returned both Nichijou and Gosick back to Kadokawa in 2011/2012. They've been free for someone to license, but I imagine the price for a niche comedy stopped people from going after it again.

Makes sense! Hopefully that changes as well. Been really wanting that one for a while. At the same time, there's a lot of other titles I'd love to see released over here as well that probably have much smaller chances than Nichijou. The industry surprises me often though; one of those titles I never thought would get released was Windy Tales, and now Sentai has that. I'll just have to wait and see, I guess.

Branduil

Well, Sound Euphonium certainly looks great. Despite featuring Mugi's little sister though, the K-on comparisons are pretty off. There's clearly more of an emphasis on an ongoing plot and dramatic arc.

/XX/

I love that the animated short by Q-rais titled The lost breakfast made it to the recently announced Annecy's official selection (http://www.annecy.org/programme/index:film-20150902)... mostly because I maybe found it relatable to the point of being very fun but also make me feel nervous at the same time!

About that, I have one question; what exactly is the difference between the catalogue from TBS International Program Sales and the "other" programs not there they also promote at their Facebook page or at international fairs like Mifa or MIPCOM, as is the case of Amagi Brilliant Park? I usually check the former one but some entries are always missing... is it maybe a more global or general purpose catalogue and because of that it doesn't show properties with a more specifically-oriented regional market licensing availability?

e_i

Well, Sentai licensed Amagi Park. Happy GAF?

Speaking of licenses, how come no one has licensed Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom