• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clov

So far they've also announced the 2009 Lupin III Vs Detective Conan special, and Library Wars.

Crunchy getting the disc back in-print. There's also a holdback on BD rights, but who knows what's going on with that.

A holdback still? It's already been quite a while since the BD originally released in Japan. This might be another title on my import list at this rate.

A holdback still? It's already been quite a while since the BD originally released in Japan. This might be another title on my import list at this rate.

It's a situation where the JP side produced an "international edition" with dub/subtitles in multiple languages. They may be focusing on pushing that rather than licensing it out.

Narag

I'm not sure, man. Didn't do a research about it anyway because I thought that release would be a better one by defect than whatever we have overseas now (here in Spain, for example, it has never been edited. Only have seen a French version of dubious quality). :-(

And parotaku (@Parotaku), as always, comes to the rescue! Mentions the transfer is acceptable, conserving much fine detail, as long as you can obviate the problems derived from an old celluloid transfer without any additional re-touches done to it. I'm certainly fine with that. Shame about those screenshots not being hosted anymore... typical, just when you most need it!

So not as bad as it sounded. That puts me at ease!

Clov

It's a situation where the JP side produced an "international edition" with dub/subtitles in multiple languages. They may be focusing on pushing that rather than licensing it out.

Yeah, I remember seeing that. That was the one with the nice looking pink BD case, right? I'll probably just have to import that.

cajunator

Banned
We had to wait for animal girl technology to catch up to the dreamers of 30 years ago.

It was worth the wait!

Thank you, I honestly didn't even think of that as a "thing" before but when you put it into copyright/pirating terms, it is a great reminder...

I think a consistent reminder wouldnt be a bad idea but these problems used to be far more widespread when the anime community didnt have CR or Funimation streaming as a viable choice. Its much less of an issue now.

Crunchy has another 4 open spots, I'm guessing:
Houkago no Pleiades
Kyoukai no Rinne
Ore Monogatari!!
And one of the other "kids" shows.

Automotive themes magical girls please!

I no longer remember what life was like before Show By Rock.

I know. Not that the world was dark for me before but man its SO much brighter!

Unlike K-On, they actually play music in Hibike!

This sounds excellent already!

Oh is it? I should watch it.

These past days I have seen many people interested in those "quotes" in addition to the one where he regrets anime.

Because anime haters who happened to like Miyazaki as "the only guy who can save anime" look to those quotes as proof that "anime is wrong" because even the great Miyazaki said it!

I decided to rewatch a bit of Azumanga after I mentioned it the other day.

It reminded me of what SoLs need more of: 20something+ women getting drunk.

This is so true it hurts.

Is Mono a direct story continuation of Nise?

More Senjou = better than

cajunator

Banned
Meanwhile, Sentai is somehow still in business. lol

One of my podcast cohosts does the Funi dub subscription as well, since he prefers dubs. There's certainly a demand for that, and that seems to be a viable business for them, but I see that as something that at least differentiates them from CR. If they try to get into manga and jdramas and whatnot later on, it's going to be special kind of mess. lol

Sentai used to be ADV which did go bankrupt. Sentai seems to have a more viable strategy now though and they spend much less on licensing.
Aniplex has taken Geneon's high quality route but charges a ludicrous amount for the privelege. Maybe thats necessary.

As someone who recently got back into this thing, while looking at the two streaming services and which to join, Funi beat Crunchyroll with a cheaper sub, plus their titles of stuff from the 90s and early 2000s which I love. It wasn't a very hard choice for me as a consumer coming back in tbh.

Was debating to just sub to both but there's so much to watch I can go check out CR later.

I think you chose correctly in your case. funi does have a better backlog. However for me personally, I already buy a ton of Funi properties on disc so I have less need for their subscription service.

Haibane Renmei

What a show. I didn't know what to expect when it was recommended to me. The artsyle/drawing is beautiful and visually striking; it caught me off guard by how breathtaking it was. The first 5 episodes are slice of life stuff, slow paced and perfectly stitched together, but starting with the 6th, things start taking firing on all cylinders. I wasn't expecting an emotional rollercoaster, but that's what happened and I loved every second of it.

Congrats on watching my favorite anime of all time!

Team purple hair/purple eyes.
Join me.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Mr.Jeff

Tytania was not THAT bad, just completely cut off.
Sure, main char is no Yang Wen-Li, but hey, not eve Yang Wen-Li was that good in the first part.
While Legend of the Galactic Heroes suffered from a few idiotic plot points, none that I can recall were as bad as
the hero's girlfriend being tragically killed in a swimming pool by a bourgeois aristocrat's pet monster just to i) highlight how out of touch and spoiled the ruling elite were and ii) create a tenuous plot point for why Not-Yang Wen-li should get revenge.

Mature

So far they've also announced the 2009 Lupin III Vs Detective Conan special, and Library Wars.

Unbelievable. And they got the movie too. Fingers crossed for BDs.

Thank you once again Discotek. <3

phaze

Monogatari ep. 1-5:
I'll be sad when these episodes and the Araragi story, as well as the Senjo & Araragi stories are over. The writing is really good in this series and I can understand how the text/discussion heavy format is a turn-off for some, however, the material and stories are great. Finally setting
Hanekawa
felt really good as she faces her demons as well as strengthening Araragi's resolve to be with Senjo, we'll see if it lasts through the last few spisodes.

Just a word of warning. IIRC outside of the last arc of Monogatari (and even there she's not the main character) Senjougahara's appearances will be sparse to say the least.

Cornbread78

Just a word of warning. IIRC outside of the last arc of Monogatari (and even there she's not the main character) Senjougahara's appearances will be sparse to say the least.

That sucks, she's the best character by far. At least we got those great fan service shower scenes at the beginning. BTW, she was dead right on her assessment of the situation and to move Hanekawa along to solve her issue on her own.

Let me guess, they start moving towards Shinobu more now, right? Outside of the lewdness, h r arc in Nise was good.

cajunator

Banned
The best guess knowing the market is that Sentai wasn't willing to pay what TBS wanted to simulcast it. They waited and got it for cheaper once time went by.

I'm sure the R1 companies know there's a demand for Hyouka, but it's all about making it worthwhile for them money-wise. Additionally, we know Sentai may have it as they keep quiet on some licenses until solicitation and waited until Kadokawa released their BD-Box earlier this year as part of the contract/agreement. That's an option not many have thought of.

Its possible. Hyouka isnt very marketable though. Would be an even harder sell than ABP. I would be the only person who actually buys it. Maybe one more.

Makes sense! Hopefully that changes as well. Been really wanting that one for a while. At the same time, there's a lot of other titles I'd love to see released over here as well that probably have much smaller chances than Nichijou. The industry surprises me often though; one of those titles I never thought would get released was Windy Tales, and now Sentai has that. I'll just have to wait and see, I guess.

Last year pretty much proved that anything is possible. In one year we got bluray releases of Cardcaptor Sakura, Sailor moon, Cowboy Bebop and a kickstarter funded Bubblegum Crisis! Holy shit! Did anyone expect all that?

Show by whatthefuck!! - 01

AOTF is right.

Also, weirdly good CG.

I know what Im talking about!

I like. Not enough ponytail though!

No everyone wants the real best Kyoani show - Nichijou

Australia has it. Australia has everything :(

Hibike! Euphonium 01

Did Kyoani stuck in 2009? they keep making same show and same show and same show.

And why they still hire Jukki Hanada?

Its kind of amazing that 2009 is considered like the distant past. It seems like yesterday to me! Maybe I really am an old.

Show By Rock!! Episode 1:

This show is not for me.

No silly, its for ME!

this season i'm going to be watching

Owari no Seraph
Arslan Senki
Kekkai Sensen
and Shoukugeki no Soma

are there any other recommendations that are starting to air?

Jarmel

Banned
this season i'm going to be watching

Owari no Seraph
Arslan Senki
Kekkai Sensen
and Shoukugeki no Soma

are there any other recommendations that are starting to air?

Ore Monogatari and Punchline are the only two notable shows left to air episodes this season.

Tri is kill and Lupin is waiting.

Fbh

Seraph of the End 01

With the time skip at the end of the episode I guess it's way to early to comment on the story or characters.
But in terms of production I really loved the background work on this one, hope it keeps up with the quality

Arslan Senki 01

Hiromu Arakawa's art style really made this feel familiar in a good way.
Much as with Seraph of the End, it's way too early to comment much on the story but it seems to have potential

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan - 1

I'm confused. This whole episode contradicts elements of the original story it split off of. I thought this was meant to be if Kyon chose to stay and make a new SOS Club, ergo he would already know Haruhi 'n' co. And why are Mikuru and Tsuruya suddenly friendly with him when they thought he was a dodgy pervert in the original film and Mikuru is literally scared of him? Disgraceful.

Quasar

What an interesting season. After Funimation appearing to take simulcasts seriously last season and really competing with CR, they seem to have given up already. Wonder what happened.did it not spike subs last season? Or is CR simply more aggressive after the shock of last season?

Moaradin

What an interesting season. After Funimation appearing to take simulcasts seriously last season and really competing with CR, they seem to have given up already. Wonder what happened.did it not spike subs last season? Or is CR simply more aggressive after the shock of last season?

Really? Funimation seemed to get most of the big shows this season.

VRMN

The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan - 1

I'm confused. This whole episode contradicts elements of the original story it split off of. I thought this was meant to be if Kyon chose to stay and make a new SOS Club, ergo he would already know Haruhi 'n' co. And why are Mikuru and Tsuruya suddenly friendly with him when they thought he was a dodgy pervert in the original film and Mikuru is literally scared of him? Disgraceful.

You have a misconception of what this is. It's an alternate universe loosely based on the Disappearance novel, not a sequel to some alternate ending of it. They will meet Haruhi (who is still very much Haruhi, but without the god stuff) in an episode or two. Whatever history this Kyon has with Tsuruya and Mikuru isn't really expanded upon; one is implied because it gets them in the story since the plot doesn't dictate that they should be involved at all.

(Oh, and what I would think will be the end of the run plot does tie in a bit to the original story in a kind of unexpected way. It's probably the best part of the manga, so I suspect they're aiming to get to that, assuming this is one cour.)

Seraph of the End is really the only show with big potential this season. Highly doubt anything other than UtaPri would be big, so I think they were as aggressive as anyone could be this season. I assume HaremKing is a big series for them anyway based on what the typical Funifan buys.

Yu-Gi-Oh! ARC-V Episode 50
CCBVjHhXIAIl3qE.png
CCBUHl8W4AAt95m.png

Akaba Reiji's hands are huge. Though I love his scarf as well, and hey, his DDD cards are pretty awesome. Its good to have someone talk some sense back into the overly emotional Yuuya oniichan now. Though why is he assuming Yuzu oneechan is dead.

New OP is not a good song really, while the ED is a great song and some pretty funny AU visuals. Poor Sawatori though.

I wish Sora got some love instead of Kurosaki.

VRMN

Seraph of the End is really the only show with big potential this season. Highly doubt anything other than UtaPri would be big, so I think they were as aggressive as anyone could be this season. I assume HaremKing is a big series for them anyway based on what the typical Funifan buys.

Hmm...Arslan, Blood Blockade Battlefront, and Ninja Slayer are Funi-oriented bets that could pay off as well. Ninja Slayer could be a complete trainwreck, but I can see where they'd bet on Trigger. It lacks in numbers, maybe, but I think it's comparable in terms of the titles that could be big on the physical side of things.

It's true that there's nothing like Yurikuma where I'm going, "Funi licensed THAT?" Yuki-chan comes closest to that, but they have the Haruhi license, so if anyone was getting that it was them.

Hmm...Arslan, Blood Blockade Battlefront, and Ninja Slayer are Funi-oriented bets that could pay off as well. Ninja Slayer could be a complete trainwreck, but I can see where they'd bet on Trigger. It lacks in numbers, maybe, but I think it's comparable in terms of the titles that could be big on the physical side of things.

It's true that there's nothing like Yurikuma where I'm going, "Funi licensed THAT?" Yuki-chan comes closest to that, but they have the Haruhi license, so if anyone was getting that it was them.

I didnt think there is much of an interest in history animes in the western world, people didnt even give Kingdom a chance. Theres no flashy magicks or anything.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
TY, damn 25 more episodes...
For what it's worth, it all pays off. The problem is whether or not you like the show in the first place. lol

Sound! Euphonium 01

Because if Euphonium is the next anything, it's the next TARI TARI. Which I also liked, for different reasons - one of which is its earnest embrace of Super Sentai as a plot device.

Most people find Tari Tari forgettable, but the one thing it did was at least try to do an interesting arc with the one girl who had bulimia. Of course, this is a case where you have to massively lower your standards for Japan because most of their anime is about nothing at all, but by anime standards that was a pretty forward-thinking storyline. I just can't imagine this show doing anything like that. lol

Midonin

Linbarrels of Iron 01-03

CGI robots - I've dealt with those in Demonbane, and that was pretty fun. Hirai character designs - Majestic Prince was pretty alright. And so this one is at Funi, and I wanted to expand my horizons of mecha shows a bit. The first three episodes formed some sort of arc, and the rise and fall of that arc was something I've never really seen before in anime.

Koichi is in the same underdog position that many heroes are, but when he finally obtains a giant robot and all the things that come with it? He is an asshole. He may have gotten some ideas from watching toku programs, but no toku I've seen has a hero like that. There's a reason why stopping the cycle of revenge is a major point in a lot of fiction, because his old bullies, while not exactly the nicest people... well, not even Revised Timeline George McFly was that much of a douche.

Sad that it had to take Emi to get him to snap out of it (I hope) when Yajima and Risako were already giving him hints that he was turning into a dick. I hope that he progresses towards becoming a bit more like a hero as the show goes on, and not the gross misinterpretation of "justice for me" that he has.

And yet I find this fascinating because I can tell he's being written like this intentionally, and almost everyone, friend, enemy and potential ally alike, is calling him out on it. I don't mind an unpleasant hero, as long as there are people there to call them out on it.

I like Emi, Risako and Yajima are alright, the villains are what I expect from mecha show villains, and I like the concept of a robot piloted by twins. Reminds me of Pacific Rim. The American scientist girl played by Chiwa Saito, though she only got one scene, was another reason why I decided to watch.

So I'll keep watching.

Cornbread78

For what it's worth, it all pays off. The problem is whether or not you like the show in the first place. lol

It's been really good so far, it's tough to follow along the text and you miss some of the side comments posted on the top of the screen, but the story and characters are all likable even if the protagonist
is a child molester and incest or of sorts, lol.
so yeah, it's really deep but good.

Quasar

I think they're referring to how late Funimation's simulcasts have been this season.

Well more like how few. Last season it seemed like they had changed and were trying to get lots of shows, and simuldubbing lots to beat CR. This season it seems its back to the norm of a handful of shows (so far funi with 10, CR with about 30). Which I'm glad for as being forced to pay two subs to get most shows would be a bummer.

Though maybe last season was just odd due to it having less shows overall.

has anybody here read the manga of the Inuyasha/Ranma author? Is she still banking that phat money on the 'will they won't they' plot point? I completely forgot an anime based off her work is this season and I'm curious if it's the same crap

Mitch

Banned
Actually watching new series as they air this season.

Arslan Senki - 01

My least favorite of the bunch so far, but I am a fan of the setting. Very likable main character, in my opinion. They did a good job setting up the story.

Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka - 01

Hell yes, this is my kind of show. Reminds me of Log Horizon and Sword Art. Really digging how they "level up" in that world.

Gunslinger Stratos - 01

The ending was a nice little surprise. Enjoyable action. The art isn't the greatest, but it's not horrible. Will definitely continue watching.

Plastic Memories - 01

Completely taken by surprise! First episode gives me a lump in my throat. Beautiful animation, and I really like the story they have going. Favorite out of the bunch so far.

Shokugeki no Souma - 01

MEEEAAAATTTT JUIIIICEEESSSS!!

I was laughing throughout the entire episode.

The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan - 01

Big fan of Haruhi in general. The voices are throwing me off a bit, but overall I was pretty interested.

About to watch Kekkai Sensen and Show By Rock!!.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom