• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT2| Euriphonium

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, that would be nice since half the time she was a tsundere douche...

So, which one for this afternoon (short series)

The Kawai Complex or Mysterious Girlfriend X?

Mysterious Girlfriend X is well-directed, with some nice atmosphere, and has a good dynamic between its two leads. It's the only anime I've ever seen that I consider to be genuinely erotic, as opposed to the cheap titillation so many anime resort to that's just disgusting or dull or both.

Kawai Complex, from what I've seen, is flat and mediocre.

cajunator

Banned
Mysterious Girlfriend X is well-directed, with some nice atmosphere, and has a good dynamic between its two leads. It's the only anime I've ever seen that I consider to be genuinely erotic, as opposed to the cheap titillation so many anime resort to that's just disgusting or dull or both.

Kawai Complex, from what I've seen, is flat and mediocre.

Boy, is that ever an understatement

phaze

Well....half a year have pass and look like I am halfway done my Anime backlog. I think I will post my list here and maybe ask people here what the next show should I go watch next after I finish the two show I am currently watching.

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/johnblade

From the shows I've seen on that list, Lain and Gunbuster/Diebuster combo should be your picks.

SNAFU 12

Do these people don't have a "fuck off already" option on their dialogue wheels ? Because jeeez someone needs to tell that to this older sister character since like 20 episodes ago.

Yui is fortunately one step away from winning the game.

Naruto Shippuden 417

~3 minutes of canon material. Thank you Pierrot ._.

Cornbread78

Well....half a year have pass and look like I am halfway done my Anime backlog. I think I will post my list here and maybe ask people here what the next show should I go watch next after I finish the two show I am currently watching.

Serious lack of Clannad and Clannad After Story.

Stop everything else and go watch those and post impressions, like stat...

There is a reason the After Story is ranked #7 on MAL...

Then Your Lie in April, Little Busters, Air, Kanon, Oh soooo many to go!

Emma: A Victorian Romance
Grave of the Fireflies
Garden of Words
Patlabor (watch order is OVA 1 - movies / TV - OVA 2)
Wolf Children
Serial Experiments Lain
Wolf's Rain

Those are what I consider to be essential viewing out of your Plan to Watch list. I would recommend starting with Wolf Children (because it's an film and can be gotten through easily) and Wolf's Rain (because it's one of the most gut-wrenchingly powerful TV stories I've seen).

Cornbread78

Got you. Turns out I already have some of you but I'm sure I'm also missing tons of others.

My twitter is my personal account not exclusive to gaming/Anime so you will probably see a bit of everything lol. I try to keep it active with whatever I'm doing at the time

LOL, I don;t post much, and most of my posts will be replying to people giving out Crunchyroll passes. I had 100+ foll at one point, but I guess they all dropped me, lol.

Woah excellent! I want in! I'm @names2hard4you
Added you all! I salute you friends.

Cornbread_51 is that you?

close, jonnyCB501

Cornbread was taken, so I combined my name, my screen name and my gaming clan all in one. I should actually change it at some point...

Grzi

MGX just went nowhere, but had a gimmick of a premise attached on top of it.

It's incredibly charming and all-around well produced, features a likeable cast, and the main girl has a great voice (and I don't usually notice seiyuus). It was a big surprise for me.

Gurren Lagann
Madoka Magica
Jojo's Bizzare Adventure
G Gundam
Eureka Seven
Shin Mazinger Z
Gunbuster
Gundam Build Fighters

You like mecha? Those shows (save for Madoka and Jojo) have got you covered. Gundam Build Fighters and G Gundam especially if you're a Gundam fan.

So this is some shoujo manga, huh? Let's see what it's about.

Nikaido Kaho is a daughter of a rich family and her whole life everyone's been nice to her. When moving to her new high school dormitory, she almost gets hit by a truck but is saved by a boy. It's love at first sight for Kaho but when asking him his name, he tells her she's weird. Kaho is shocked since it's the first time anyone's ever said mean things to her. Soon enough, she finds out that the boy who saved her lives in the same dormitory and so she bravely confesses her love. The boy says his name is Kanade and agrees to go out with her. Unfortunately, the following day Kaho finds out that her first boyfriend is a 5th grader.

Uh, OK. Sounded typical until that last sentence there.

Thoraxes

Got you. Turns out I already have some of you but I'm sure I'm also missing tons of others.

My twitter is my personal account not exclusive to gaming/Anime so you will probably see a bit of everything lol. I try to keep it active with whatever I'm doing at the time

It's all good! I do the same.

DEATH™

So...
Chu-Tan was a tsundere that happens to have all her pent up emotions turn to negative energy... lol

Also,
Mo-Tan was stuck in chibi form.

I wish all anime CGs are as good as this...

Etotama - 12 [End]

That was an alright finale. Nice fight but I kinda expected more. Nevertheless I am content with what they came up with overall for an end. They set up for more, which I welcome.

Show overall surprised me, much thanks to the awesome battles. The CG was a treat to watch, but I'm not sure how much the chibi art helped on this front. The jokes and references worked well enough, but some elements such as the main character being "too much" bothered me at times.
I would've liked more time dedicated to the characters I found most interesting. However given the size of the roster and the amount of episodes, there's only so much you can do.

lQpsMEq.gif
YvAzuW9.gif

Bring on season 2!

Robotguy

Out of you're plan to watch list all I can say is:
Watamote: Good, but hard for me to watch since I can't deal with second hand embarrassment.
Rahxephon: I thought this was a waste of time personally.

Cornbread78

Etotama- S1 END
tumblr_nqi8k7eSqr1tlyjpto1_500.gif

Hell yeah. That was an awesome way to end things and tie it all together. The CG battle was great as anticipated (you can tell they saved extra time by not using it last week) and really put on a show for the finale. Thsi was defiantely a great surprise to watch all season and I'm really surprised it didn't get much attention and/or sales. Even in the final episode, they were embeddign jokes about the series itself and building around that humor with some real touching moments. I can really appreciate that from a show that stayed true to itself, but not taking itself too seriously, havign a diverse cast and allowing us to have funa long with it. Excellant, excellant, excellant.... This was a 1 shot series right? There is no other manga/LN tocome up with a second season?

two shows down
with Fruit of Grisaia and now Etotama. The big ones follow in the next couple days..

Cornbread78

DEATH™;169813772 said:
We need one episode of Chu Tan in Takeru's house... I wanna see how she interacts with others...

Etotama - 12 [End]
I would've liked more time dedicated to the characters I found most interesting. However given the size of the roster and the amount of episodes, there's only so much you can do.
Bring on season 2!

They could do a season 2 of just backstory and character interactions if they wanted to, but unfortuantely, from the way the BD sales went, etc, I don't believe we will ever see this series again from what been said.....

Somone also needs to gif that image of Nya-tan
in the fetal position around the etotama or with her catching the swword with her teeth

DEATH™

They could do a season 2 of just backstory and character interactions if they wanted to, but unfortuantely, from the way the BD sales went, etc, I don't believe we will ever see this series again from what been said.....

Somone also needs to gif that image of Nya-tan
in the fetal position around the etotama or with her catching the swword with her teeth

I don't think this show needs a season 2. Just a couple of OVA episodes will be fine. Season 2 will turn to a episodic comedy slice-of-life with a bit of battle animations here and there and that will feel like a drag.

What I want is for whatever this studio who made this to have bigger projects and become a leader in CG anime...

Cornbread78

DEATH™;169816244 said:
I don't think this show needs a season 2. Just a couple of OVA episodes will be fine. Season 2 will turn to a episodic comedy slice-of-life with a bit of battle animations here and there and that will feel like a drag.

What I want is for whatever this studio who made this to have bigger projects and become a leader in CG anime...

Yeah, OVAs would work as well. I pulled this off of Tumblr, but damn, they do an excellant job with the CG:

tumblr_nqi8k7eSqr1tlyjpto1_500.gif

I want my Etotama Vita game, NOW!

LOL, I put that on Twitter...

Rainy

Banned

John Blade

The answer lies before you *Last Exile image*

I might consider to watch this show actually as like the design look (even though no clue of the show). What stopping me from watching it as the sequel which I own from the Sale but is on Blu-ray. Still, might watch the show and wait till I got a Blu-ray player and watch the sequel later. Will keep a note on it.

Watamote, Gunbuster/Diebuster, Clannad and Black Lagoon

I've heard things about Serial Experiments Lain but I can't confirm if it's good.

Watamote is actually a show I am very interested to watch but because it's Blu-ray, I will put it on hold. Will watch it at once to see the hype of it. For Gunbuster and Diebuster, will most likely watch soon (maybe late next month). Clannad and Black Lagoon will watch later once I get a Blu-ray player.

For Lain, people talk how good the show so, got myself a Blu-ray package for it. Will see it later.

From the shows I've seen on that list, Lain and Gunbuster/Diebuster combo should be your picks.

Will watch them soon. Need to get through the current show backlog.

Serious lack of Clannad and Clannad After Story.

Stop everything else and go watch those and post impressions, like stat...

There is a reason the After Story is ranked #7 on MAL...

Then Your Lie in April, Little Busters, Air, Kanon, Oh soooo many to go!

Not going to watch Clannad as I know what will be coming. I might put that aside till I need that emotional feel in my life and will take it out and watch the entire series. Man...need to stock up tissue for it. As for the other show you post, I don't own it so, I will need to do some research before I say anything.

Emma: A Victorian Romance
Grave of the Fireflies
Garden of Words
Patlabor (watch order is OVA 1 - movies / TV - OVA 2)
Wolf Children
Serial Experiments Lain
Wolf's Rain

Those are what I consider to be essential viewing out of your Plan to Watch list. I would recommend starting with Wolf Children (because it's an film and can be gotten through easily) and Wolf's Rain (because it's one of the most gut-wrenchingly powerful TV stories I've seen).

Put it on my note of which show to watch next.

Gurren Lagann
Madoka Magica
Jojo's Bizzare Adventure
G Gundam
Eureka Seven
Shin Mazinger Z
Gunbuster
Gundam Build Fighters

You like mecha? Those shows (save for Madoka and Jojo) have got you covered. Gundam Build Fighters and G Gundam especially if you're a Gundam fan.

Need to do some research of those show as I don't own them except Gun buster.
For mecha show, yup I like them. I am also a Gundam fan but in the old type so G-Gundam will be sometime I am interested in watching. As for the newer show, I will have to do some research. Will still like to watch the new Gundam show (Origin) and also look into Unicorn.

Out of you're plan to watch list all I can say is:
Watamote: Good, but hard for me to watch since I can't deal with second hand embarrassment.
Rahxephon: I thought this was a waste of time personally.

I will put a note and might push back Rahxephon down a bit of show to watch.

Thanks for everyone here. Keep posting of which show to watch next and I guess if they is enough demand, I will watch it soon than later. Also, if anyone notice on the list, I watch the older show than the current one so, if it's a brand new show, I might need to do some research before I put it on the list. Man...6 more months to go and will see how much more show I will finish by the year end.

DEATH™

Danna Ga Nani S2 End

First time they got a fight...

Season 3 please... with "I can't understand what my parents are saying" as title.

Gbraga

Sup AnimeGAF, what are the chances of Monster Musume having uncensored localized versions at launch? I don't wanna wait for the blu-rays :CCC

Also, y'all ready for some nyanpasu? :D

Mandelbo

Sup AnimeGAF, what are the chances of Monster Musume having uncensored localized versions at launch? I don't wanna wait for the blu-rays :CCC

I'm not sure if they'll air an uncensored version, but I'd assume they won't. Uncensored broadcasts seem to be the exception rather than the norm.

And I'm very ready for more nyanpasu!

Arcadius

Banned
I want to add some of you if yall dont mind.

Mine's here

Don't mind at all! =)

Can't wait for more nyan-pasu.

Is Monster Musume really lewd in the manga? I'd love to watch Musume as uncensored if that's how it's supposed to be.

Puruzi

Banned
Don't mind at all! =)

Can't wait for more nyan-pasu.

Is Monster Musume really lewd in the manga? I'd love to watch Musume as uncensored if that's how it's supposed to be.

Monster Musume's manga is incredibly lewd. The anime is going to be so based

Punchline Episode 12 END

Definitely in the top five anime of the season, such a fun and compelling anime all around. I was actually glued to it every episode unlike a few of the other anime this season that I just play in the background (mikagakure for example or at times Rinne). I liked the ending chosen and the implications for it too. TeamYuta.

Gbraga

Good, good. Everyone's hyped for the sequel to the 2013 AOTY :)

Stealth best girl Candy Store better come back for the sequel!

It's pretty lewd. Preeeeeeeetty lewd.

But when it comes to actual graphic stuff, I think nipples are as far as it goes.

Not going to watch Clannad as I know what will be coming. I might put that aside till I need that emotional feel in my life and will take it out and watch the entire series. Man...need to stock up tissue for it. As for the other show you post, I don't own it so, I will need to do some research before I say anything.

Those other shows are similar.

Arcadius

Banned
Monster Musume's manga is incredibly lewd. The anime is going to be so based

Hehe, sounds goooooood ~

It's pretty lewd. Preeeeeeeetty lewd.

But when it comes to actual graphic stuff, I think nipples are as far as it goes.

Ah I see, well they never show nipples, from the echhi and lewd anime I've seen, just rounded breasts, I'll be fine with that. I hope they don't back down on the lewd

Puruzi

Banned
Hehe, sounds goooooood ~

Ah I see, well they never show nipples, from the echhi and lewd anime I've seen, just rounded breasts, I'll be fine with that. I hope they don't back down on the lewd

There are a whole bunch of anime that have nipples, but usually only after the BDs come out.

Cornbread78

Clannad, Kanon, and Air are all pretty much of the same ilk, however, Clannad hit MUCH MUCH harder and goes much deeper into the main's lives and has great arcs for everyone else in the first season. You only really need to marathon ep. 15- END of teh After Story, because right after that, you can't stop; I really don;t know how people stayed together when this aired on a weekly basis..... It's amazing and truly impactful and the "romance" isn't the only thign about it. The story is more about Love in general. Love for family, friends and how to deal with life. Amazing... Man, I really can't say enough good things about it.

You're Lie in April is a little different and not as dramatic overall, but is a great story and has some very impactfull moments. Angel Beats is also pretty dramatic, but is excellant and the ending is incredible. Same for Little Busters; it takes you through a story with lots of ups and downs, messes with your head towards the end, but delivers at the end.

There are a whole bunch of anime that have nipples, but usually only after the BDs come out.

There's also some that are drawn in to be covered by something else in the final version and are never seen for that reason. Fumoffu had that situation in the onsen episode.

(Gatou, the author of the novels, explicitly said he wanted to see them during the commentary for the Hong Kong scouting footage for the TSR extras. This is one reason why I say he's too perverted for my liking.)

Of the shows in your backlog, here's what I'd recommend you watch after finishing Princess Nine and You're under arrest:

Black Lagoon
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
Lupin III: The women called Fujiko Mine
Wolf's Rain

Anime sucks, nerds!

This season has been pretty weak, to be honest. Most of the series didn't catch my attention.
Fate UBW has been baaad. My motivation for finishing it it has been to be able to point and laugh at their fans, and be able to laugh with others and all their flaws.
Jojo 3rd season is imo a bit ehh, too much mediocre eps in the middle and super BS final fight, and I never really connected with Jotaro, I liked the second season more. Ore Monogatari I started it because I heard good thing as a comedy romance but after a few eps is blaaand as fuck and repetitive, dropped.
Arslan is the only half decent thing, a medieval adventure with what seems fantasy middle east setting, but as I say, it's more in the "decent" range than "good", just watchable.
I started other series like Plastic Memories but I dropped it like a hot potato. Too obvious laughable melodrama. Like, they don't even bother to hide it! Mmm in a way it's good they are honest, I suppose?

After some positive comments I watched Expelled from Paradise, which I knew but the trailers and images made me think it would have too much fanservice so I had avoided it until now. And hey, it's actually a decent story, and scifi as hell (let's see, there are: digital societies in post-human setting, AIs, dystopia, space stations and robots and mechs, space exploration). That said it has some solid ideas but the execution isn't so good. An example:
I liked the concept shown when they reveal how the digital society works, there are limited computing power so it's society pressured into competition over them and peer-pressured in how you act, so in its own way it's far from being an utopia. But isn't never shown, instead it just given to the viewer in a cold dish of exposition.

What else. Oh yeah, a pair of weeks ago I saw Omoide no Marnie. That was, definitively, a weird Ghibli film. I say weird because it was so clunky in parts that the last thing I would think it was done by Ghibli. The writing was just all over the place, and with that I mean mostly in the mediocre parts, and the directing was nothing special.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom