• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT2| Euriphonium

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ninja Slayer 11

There was a scene that lasted for a minute which was just Ninja Slayer yelling YEARRRT and punching a guy who reacted by going AAAAGHH and it kept mirroring it like 10 times. Amazing show 10/10

Clov

I dont understand why people think Etotama is bad. Is it because the pacing is really crazy? It reminds me of Excel Saga. That doesnt make it bad!

I guess I just found it annoying. For some reason I remember liking Excel Saga a lot more than this; maybe because of how crazy it actually was. Etotama doesn't really come close; there's just no equivalent to stuff like Nabeshin's various appearances and Pedro's misadventures.

cajunator

Banned
Good question, the show was just plain fun to watch and had something for everyone, even yuri, lol.

Yeah I know :D

I guess I just found it annoying. For some reason I remember liking Excel Saga a lot more than this; maybe because of how crazy it actually was. Etotama doesn't really come close; there's just no equivalent to stuff like Nabeshin's various appearances and Pedro's misadventures.

Well I agree Excel Saga is one of a kind I just think some people couldnt deal with the craziness of this show and probably others like it. Writing wise its no better or worse than other shows this season.

phaze

So you dropped it right before the point where the fanservice is toned way down, and the predictability becomes a less so. The first few things followed the typical shonen jump formula of establishing a setting and characters, so Soma handled pretty much everything up to that point pretty easily. Things start to change during the training camp and especially the first year tournament.

Meat girk was like episode 8 or something ? I gave it a fair shake but outside of like 1 episode, it never went beyond bearable for me. I feel that I've got a good grasp on Soma's personality, the cooking competitions and the (not funny) humor and none of these things are doing anything for me. Training and tournament arc don't exactly sound very unpredictable either.

@Yikes dem Punchline impressions, sakugabooru it is.

Jex

When Marnie Was There is the best Ghibli film since 2001, with the possible exception of Princess Kaguya.

I have to wholeheartedly agree with you on this one. Its an astonishing film but, due to it's less than fantastical nature I fear it will fly under most people's radar.

I Can't Understand What My Husband Is Saying 2 END

Eh. I don't think I was that into this. If it was any more then 3 minutes probably wouldn't have continued

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So the one Ghibli film that everyone ignored is good?

I can see it robbing Yamato at the AOTY voting this year now. Great. lol

javac

Not seen Marnie yet since it isn't out here but leading up to its release was super exciting for me and it looks super promising, I still have very high hopes for it and haven't really read any impressions on it so my optimism is untarnished, thankfully because everybody is a fucking grouch these days. Once it came out in Japan I went on full blackout to avoid spoilers.

Clov

Not seen Marnie yet since it isn't out here but leading up to its release was super exciting for me and it looks super promising, I still have very high hopes for it and haven't really read any impressions on it so my optimism is untarnished, thankfully because everybody is a fucking grouch these days. Once it came out in Japan I went on full blackout to avoid spoilers.

It's definitely best to go into this one blind. I knew nothing about the film outside of what the poster looked like and went away pretty impressed. It's a lot better than the director's previous work, Arietty, which I wasn't a huge fan of.

jgminto

Punchline 12 END
This show was a lot of fun, the plot wasn't as engaging or as complex as the writer's previous works but the interactions between characters were engaging when the plot wasn't.

I dropped Mysterious Girlfriend X after roughly 6 episodes as I found nothing compelling about the two characters. Found it kinda hard to empathize with the MC anyways with how much he loved gobbling up spit from a dirty table :/ I mean, I'm all for exchanging bodily fluids alright, but that was merely gross. Dunno if there was metaphorical merit in all this spit business either, but ultimately I didn't care much for that and worse, I didn't care about the characters. When that's the case for 6 episodes in such a show I'm out. I mean, damn, Koi Kaze managed to get me strongly invested in the main character in just the first episode.

I think I even read up the synopsis of Mysterious Girlfriend X but nothing there caught my attention either, so I was done with it.

edit: nvm, looks like I didn't read that

javac

It's definitely best to go into this one blind. I knew nothing about the film outside of what the poster looked like and went away pretty impressed. It's a lot better than the director's previous work, Arietty, which I wasn't a huge fan of.

Yeah I figured as much. Marnie like most Ghibli films is based off of a preexisting story/novel, but I'm not too familiar with When Marnie Was There unlike The Wind Rises where I know a bit about the events, being a biopic and all that or Kaguya which is based off of a popular folk tale. I really look forward to watching all three of these.

Arrietty is probably at the bottom of my Ghibli list for sure, but even so I still gained enjoyment from it, with the gorgeous artwork and stunning soundtrack being standouts. A nice film but I found it a bit boring, still a nice watch.

Arcadius

Banned
Arietty was okay, it's not my favorite Ghibli film, but it was cute and very pretty to watch.

I think people shouldn't compare the sources to the films since they can be so different, just take it as inspiration really.

Should really get to watching those films...

javac

That's high praise considering the reviews I've heard for Inside Out include people saying that it made them cry.

but...everything makes me cry T_T I'm always a wreck at the end of a series, especially if its a long one, the idea that you'll "leave" those characters and when you remember the first moment you saw them on screen and how much they progressed in the time in between kills me every time ;( Don't get me started on things like Grave of the Fireflies, I actually have tears in my eyes now just at the mere utterance of the name. I like crying, it feels good to let everything out I feel, but I know many people feel the opposite.

eKymUtF.jpg

The Alicia thing was probably the one big surprise that came out of nowhere.
I suppose "yuri" fans would also be mad that it happened. lol

But yeah, it all really comes together at the end. Where all the characters come up, and of course, the next generation being introduced right at the end.

There are some post-anime audio dramas though, this was one that got translated:
http://snowbouquet.tumblr.com/post/31393355668/aria-of-continuation

He synced it to the cd here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bEOacWEtyw

Funny enough, I even wrote about it here a couple of years ago. lol
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=46037196&postcount=4170

But what if Alicia
married Akira? Hmmm.
That Drama CD and the Picture Drama were really nice, with the amazing soundtrack of the anime I can easily make the episode in my head. I understood the charm of Drama CDs with the ones Ojamajo Doremi had.
Now I need to finish the manga, currently on volume 4.
Man Home is beyond saving. ;___;

Wish Upon the Pleiades 12

I like magical girl shows in general, but I'm surprised at the relatively low-key reception this one got. I suppose without something like YuYuYu's "suffering", a certain kind of person just won't watch. It was certainly dramatic, but I'd say it never got to that point. Loved it - the way it integrated astrophysics into the plot, for one. By the end of the series, the audience had taken a complete tour of the universe, from the sun all the way to a black hole. The girls had some great chemistry, and that final scene of all of them holding hands, only to let go as they returned to their own timelines... touching stuff. Battle magical girl shows are a staple these days, but I wouldn't mind if there were a few more magical girl shows like this. Exploration of discovery, both of the world and of oneself. It expanded on the shorts in the best way possible.

I really liked this, and I just watched the TV run, there are shorts and a movie to watch, right?

Arcadius

Banned
but...everything makes me cry T_T I'm always a wreck at the end of a series, especially if its a long one, the idea that you'll "leave" those characters and when you remember the first moment you saw them on screen and how much they progressed in the time in between kills me every time ;( Don't get me started on things like Grave of the Fireflies, I actually have tears in my eyes now just at the mere utterance of the name. I like crying, it feels good to let everything out I feel, but I know many people feel the opposite.

I'm with you on the crying aspect Javac, just about everything I've seen will pull some tears from me. Grave of the Fireflies is too hard to even think about though, seriously don't think I could ever watch it again, too hard.

Yurikuma Arashi END - I said I was going to drop this, but I lied. I will say this, I like the bears and I like the hats the girls wear. Beyond that I'm not sure how I feel about the show, largely in part because I'm not entirely sure what's going on. I guess saying that I didn't hate it is praise enough.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Grave of the Fireflies doesn't count though. lol
The whole nakama/kyoudai/family thing that Gintama does gets to me from time to time too. It's the same story every time, but it still works on me for whatever reason. lol

But what if Alicia
married Akira? Hmmm.
That Drama CD and the Picture Drama were really nice, with the amazing soundtrack of the anime I can easily make the episode in my head. I understood the charm of Drama CDs with the ones Ojamajo Doremi had.
Now I need to finish the manga, currently on volume 4.
Man Home is beyond saving. ;___;
The sad thing about the drama CDs is that there are hours and hours of missing Aria content that just exists in the ether than will never get translated.
There's also the two PS2 games too.

Cornbread78

I dropped Mysterious Girlfriend X after roughly 6 episodes as I found nothing compelling about the two characters. Found it kinda hard to empathize with the MC anyways with how much he loved gobbling up spit from a dirty table :/ I mean, I'm all for exchanging bodily fluids alright, but that was merely gross. Dunno if there was metaphorical merit in all this spit business either, but ultimately I didn't care much for that and worse, I didn't care about the characters. When that's the case for 6 episodes in such a show I'm out. I mean, damn, Koi Kaze managed to get me strongly invested in the main character in just the first episode.

I think I even read up the synopsis of Mysterious Girlfriend X but nothing there caught my attention either, so I was done with it.

edit: nvm, looks like I didn't read that

Lol, I can't disagree here. There has been little to no plot, no character developement, etc. I'm hoping something redeemable occurs in the second half based in the discussions in the first couple episodes, lol. I mean, she did get naked (nothing happens) and even went to school with no panties or (nothing happens) so.... I'll finish it tomorrow. I was really busy at work today for once, which made me happy, lol.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Lol, I can't disagree here. There has been little to no plot, no character developement, etc. I'm hoping something redeemable occurs in the second half based in the discussions in the first couple episodes, lol. I mean, she did get naked (nothing happens) and even went to school with no panties or (nothing happens) so.... I'll finish it tomorrow. I was really busy at work today for once, which made me happy, lol.
The other thing is that as promo material for the manga, well, it has your typical "buy the manga" type ending.

Arcadius

Banned
Well, at least some people are watching Marnie.

Sort of hope most people at AnimeGAF have seen Ghibli works.

As long as nothing happening doesn't infuriate you, I don't see a problem, aside from maybe time wasted!

PK Gaming

When Marnie Was There is a much more sincere and authentic portrayal of the emotional landscape of a young girl and her struggle for belonging than Pixar's Inside Out.

Having seen both, I could not disagree more.

When Marnie Was There was a terrific movie, but Inside Out made me tear up on 3 separate occasions. There's no real point to comparing the two since they're fundamentally different, but the latter is was significantly more resonant to me than the former.

javac

Soul Eater Complete Series Blu-ray Premium Edition packaging from the awesome @WTK

Also an update from Sentai on Hidamari Sketch x Honeycomb home release:
http://ask.fm/SentaiFilmworks/answer/128209884893

Grave of the Fireflies doesn't count though. lol
The whole nakama/kyoudai/family thing that Gintama does gets to me from time to time too. It's the same story every time, but it still works on me for whatever reason. lol
Grave of the Fireflies is cheating, but hey I did say don't get me started on it! :p

Like I said, almost everything makes me cry...almost everything.

I haven't seen Marnie, but I feel like comparing it to Inside Out is kind of unfair.

When I read impressions of Marnie, I get the impression that it's some deep film with a lot of melancholic scenes. Not that any of this is a bad thing, I'm sure it's all done very well. But I get the impression that it's more of a film that adults would enjoy more than kids would.

Inside Out on the other hand, is a film for all ages. Kids and adults alike can laugh at the cleverness of its jokes, cry at its genuine sad scenes, and enjoy the film as a whole.

Maybe Marnie does the whole psychological aspect better, but Inside Out plays its cards correctly to allow itself to appeal to a wider audience.

All in all, they're both good movies (assuming I find Marnie to be good), and arguing which one is better seems pointless to me.

Mandelbo

All this talk of Excel Saga makes me want to go back and finish it! It's been many years since I lost interest in it, but I have to show restraint or I'll never finish my backlog!

Arcadius

Banned
All this talk of Excel Saga makes me want to go back and finish it! It's been many years since I lost interest in it, but I have to show restraint or I'll never finish my backlog!

Backlogs don't get finished... that's what I've learned spending time in AnimeGAF for 2 months. Embrace the log, watch Excel Saga!

Didn't see anyone post this

Could they actually be simulcasting that many shows? Are there even that many shows that Funi would want to simulcast this season?

Oh and season rankings?

Great

Jojo Egyptian Arc
Shokugeki No Soma

Good

Heroic Legend of Arslan
Blood Blockade Battlefront
Yamada and the 7 Witches

Okay

Rin-Ne

Dumb shonen shit

Seraph of the end
Unlimited Blade Works

Mandelbo

Backlogs don't get finished... that's what I've learned spending time in AnimeGAF for 2 months. Embrace the log, watch Excel Saga!

But then I won't be able to finish Plastic Memories! And Ore Monogatari! And Dirty Pair! And Sumomo Momomomomomomomomomo! And Rozen Maiden! If I add Excel Saga on top of those, it could be fatal - I don't have Cornbread's endurance!

Cornbread78

But then I won't be able to finish Plastic Memories! And Ore Monogatari! And Dirty Pair! And Sumomo Momomomomomomomomomo! And Rozen Maiden! If I add Excel Saga on top of those, it could be fatal - I don't have Cornbread's endurance!

Definitely watch Plastic Memories, lol.
Lol, if my boss keeps making me do all this analytics, reportin and corporate garbage, my exposure is going to drop quite a bit..

I'll post my list once some of my shows finish. Yamada, Plastic Memories, and UBW are not finished yet.

This will be a sad weekend, but yeah. Plastic Memories and Yamada-kun should be excellent. .

Moaradin

Didn't see anyone post this

Could they actually be simulcasting that many shows? Are there even that many shows that Funi would want to simulcast this season?

The Funimation simuldubs have been amazing so I hope they continue that trend. Especially for the big elephant in the room, Dragon Ball Super.

Man I hope not, ugh.

Maybe the simuldub thing has done so well for them they're just gonna go ham on licensing stuff, works for me their simuldubs have been great so far and it's nice to not have to watch shows twice.

The Funimation simuldubs have been amazing so I hope they continue that trend. Especially for the big elephant in the room, Dragon Ball Super.

For sure, HUGE L for Funimation if they don't simuldub DBS

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Ninja Slayer 11

There was a scene that lasted for a minute which was just Ninja Slayer yelling YEARRRT and punching a guy who reacted by going AAAAGHH and it kept mirroring it like 10 times. Amazing show 10/10
Was it comparable to that one scene from that one anime ( i think it was world trigger) where they they take forever to hit each other?

Arcadius

Banned

That's okay, you have time!

All this talk about Ghibli films is making me want to watch many of them all over again, hehe, so good.

Cornbread78

They can keep DBZ and out all the others on Crunchyroll, lol

Seriously, at least Crunchyroll has the passes to help out..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom