• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT2| Euriphonium

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Is anyone watching the Channel4 show Humans? It's literally a British live action version of Plastic Memories, where people get attached to synthetic human androids that have a short life span, some people being jealous of androids replacing their role in the family, and there's a android uprising where some of these androids are trying to free themselves from their "forced" oppression.

So far, no cop with a robot loli partner though. lol

Cornbread78

Ultimate girls is an incredible parody of...lots of things. Its just amazing. Amazingly right, and amazingly wrong!

Nice, I can only imagine.....

It seems to have the same sense of dread that I felt watching Saikano, knowing what would probably happen and expecting the worst yet hoping some small sliver of possibility for a happy ending.

Dude. WATCH this show. Underappreciated anime of the past two seasons. Very pleasant surprise. Hilarious and adorable.

- Yeah, well Sat. will be tough for sure. I'm not sure if the "Power of Love" or miracles can win here... They make it pretty cut and dry from the beginning from everything they show as well as openign and closing song lyrics....

- I've been meaning to start it for awhile, but as you can tell, I have been jumping around quite a bit.

You have been exposed to anime dosage far exceeding the normal healthy levels. But thats fine because you just started. Take it all in. FInd out what you like and dont like.

Ughhhhhhhh I don't think I can keep watching SNAFU with how awful Yukinon is. She takes every opportunity to shit on Hachiman when he hasn't said it done anything wrong. Fuck this bitch. All of them are exceedingly cruel to Hachiman for no reason. The study group scene would've ended our relationship if you saw a person as a nuisance after being together for so long. Poor Hachiman.

You really have to look at the subtle undertones of what is going on, especially in season 1 that sets up all the explosions in season 2.

There are scenes you will come across that clearly show there are more dynamic feeligns there than what is brought out and shown Hiki by the end of season 1. I won;t say much since I'm not sure where you are, but she is not an evil person by any means, just a little tsundere. She has also shut herself from the mainstream school life, like Hiki. There is a reason Sensei put them together. I mean, even in season 2, Sensei says it's his responsibility to get In Yuki, so there's that...

Is anyone watching the Channel4 show Humans? It's literally a British live action version of Plastic Memories, where people get attached to synthetic human androids that have a short life span, some people being jealous of androids replacing their role in the family, and there's a android uprising where some of these androids are trying to free themselves from their "forced" oppression.

That sounds pretty cool. I always wanted more world building in Plastic Memories but apparently nobody in that universe seems to care about ethics and stuff.

No wonder Plastic Memories went in the direction it went! Naotaka Hayashi must have saw this while he was writing it and changed the plot at the last second!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
That sounds pretty cool. I always wanted more world building in Plastic Memories but apparently nobody in that universe seems to care about ethics and stuff.
The first episode has a
robot who is in a brothel and she is basically raped because she has to pretend to be mindless in order to avoid being found out as a sentient being
. It's definitely something that this show is interested in looking into.

No wonder Plastic Memories went in the direction it went! Naotaka Hayashi must have saw this while he was writing it and changed the plot at the last second!
Robot loli partners are what makes anime special I suppose. lol

Cornbread78

I felt the same way once they were done with the Wonderer information, then they changed focus fo the show to what they were really going after.

We haven't heard much about it, but they already planned a spin off Manga featuring Michiru, so that would open to door to explain the world better or it could be the beginning of a completely different story to start and develope in that world based on the Isla/Michiru events. I'm hoping it turns into something bigger like that because there is a lot of room for growth within the Plastic Memories world. I mean, Giftia are issued to humans for 9 years total...

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I felt the same way once they were done with the Wonderer information, then they changed focus fo the show to what they were really going after.

We haven't heard much about it, but they already planned a spin off Manga featuring Michiru, so that would open to door to explain the world better or it could be the beginning of a completely different story to start and develope in that world based on the Isla/Michiru events. I'm hoping it turns into something bigger like that because there is a lot of room for growth within the Plastic Memories world. I mean, Giftia are issued to humans for 9 years total...
So what has the show become about? The relationship between the cop and the robot partner who is about to die?

It was announced on the NicoLive event today that Sound! Euphonium added two additional events. One is a night performance on the same day as the previously announced October 24th event at Senzoku Gakuen (the school who performed the concert band music in the show) featuring the cast of the four 1st years, three 3rd years, Shuichi, Taki, and the OP singer True. The second is an event held at the Kyoto Minami-za, a famous kabuki theatre, on October 31st with the same guests (minus Taki's seiyuu). This event will be held on the same day as the first day of the KyoAni/Do fan event. It's only a 7 minute drive between locations, so there's likely some overlap planned.

If there's a sequel to be announced, it'll be at the October 31st event.

So what has the show become about? The relationship between the cop and the robot partner who is about to die?

Yeah, but that was the whole point from the start. I guess Plastic Memories didn't know what to do with all the episodes that didn't feature Isla and just turned it into some comedy anime which touched on heavier stuff sometimes. The heavier parts were never executed well to be honest, I blame unlikable characters. A darker tone would've worked better IMO.

Last episodes have been really good though.

It was announced on the NicoLive event today that Sound! Euphonium added two additional events. One is a night performance on the same day as the previously announced October 24th event at Senzoku Gakuen (the school who performed the concert band music in the show) featuring the cast of the four 1st years, three 3rd years, Shuichi, Taki, and the OP singer True. The second is an event held at the Kyoto Minami-za, a famous kabuki theatre, on October 31st with the same guests (minus Taki's seiyuu). This event will be held on the same day as the first day of the KyoAni/Do fan event. It's only a 7 minute drive between locations, so there's likely some overlap planned.

If there's a sequel to be announced, it'll be at the October 31st event.
It'll probably happen tbh. The show seems to be so popular, and they can do so much with it, with different competitions and whatnot that I couldn't see them passing up on making a season 2.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yeah, but that was the whole point from the start. I guess Plastic Memories didn't know what to do with all the episodes which didn't feature Isla and just turned it into some comedy anime wich touched on heavier stuff sometimes. The heavier parts were never executed well to be honest, I blame unlikable characters. A darker tone would've worked better IMO.

If you want a darker tone, the Humans is for you. Because holy shit did they go dark with what humans would do with robot slaves in a sexual context.

If you want a darker tone, the Humans is for you. Because holy shit did they go dark with what humans would do with robot slaves in a sexual context.

Cool, maybe I'll check it out. I guess the first episode of Plastic Memories featured someone who was in love with his robot and tried to run away (Same scene with Isla jumping from that balcony). Too bad they never touched on those guys again. At least that's what I remember. This whole show has been pretty forgettable, I still like it a lot though.

The second is an event held at the Kyoto Minami-za, a famous kabuki theatre, on October 31st with the same guests (minus Taki's seiyuu). This event will be held on the same day as the first day of the KyoAni/Do fan event. It's only a 7 minute drive between locations, so there's likely some overlap planned.

It will be next to impossible to get tickets to that, right? :p

Cornbread78

Yeah, but that was the whole point from the start. I guess Plastic Memories didn't know what to do with all the episodes that didn't feature Isla and just turned it into some comedy anime wich touched on heavier stuff sometimes. The heavier parts were never executed well to be honest, I blame unlikable characters. A darker tone would've worked better IMO.

Yeah, once they were done laying out the "ground rules" and coming clean about Isla and Tsukasa's feelings, the last 4-5 episodes have been pure relationship/character developement and have been really well done. Isla more than anyone has been transformed through this developement from just another Giftia to a woman in love. I mean, it has been nothign but a romantic series following these two, their building love, the support they are receiving from their co-workers, and them dealing emotionally with the impending departure of Isla's memories. Obviously, this isn't for everyone, but I believe they have done an excellent job putting you into their shoes and allowing you to feel at their level ans cheering them on, which is why GAF will need a support group to help each other Sat. night after this drops because, Isla truly is an idol now...

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Cool, maybe I'll check it out. I guess the first episode of Plastic Memories featured someone who was in love with his robot and tried to run away (Same scene with Isla jumping from that balcony). Too bad they never touched on those guys again. At least that's what I remember. This whole show has been pretty forgettable, I still like it a lot though.
I honestly am not sure why I was shocked at how dark it got considering the myriad of issues it seems to cover, but it went places pretty quickly that you would expect from a show about inventing robots that looked exactly like humans. Thinking about it, I suppose it's a less subtle version of Ex Machina... but in a way, much more effective because it doesn't try to hide from the one big thing that people would do with compliant robots that looked like perfect human beings.

It will be next to impossible to get tickets to that, right? :p

The priority ticket allotment will be sold to those who enter a lottery with codes from an insert in BD/DVD volume 3. Later ones will be sold via Pony Canyon's store (through another lottery).

If you just want a ticket, they'll go up on Yahoo Auctions later.

I honestly am not sure why I was shocked at how dark it got considering the myriad of issues it seems to cover, but it went places pretty quickly that you would expect from a show about inventing robots that looked exactly like humans. Thinking about it, I suppose it's a less subtle version of Ex Machina... but in a way, much more effective because it doesn't try to hide from the one big thing that people would do with compliant robots that looked like perfect human beings.

This is exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks. If only Plastic Memories had things like this. I'll take everything over one complete episode dedicated to baking a cake.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Guess I should watch Humans then seeing as I have less of an excuse not to be watching it.

But I don't really watch much TV.

Though there was an interesting nature documentary about islands of Japan on the BBC focusing on the natural side of things that you don't see if you're only intake is anime.

iPlayer link for the Brits.

The priority ticket allotment will be sold to those who enter a lottery with codes from an insert in BD/DVD volume 3. Later ones will be sold via Pony Canyon's store (through another lottery).

If you just want a ticket, they'll go up on Yahoo Auctions later.

Alright. Guess I'll just check Yahoo Auctions then. Thanks.

Mandelbo

I watched the first episode, but the way the non-rebel synthetics were portrayed bothered me. They look like normal humans, presumably in order to allow people to accept them more easily and blend in, but they speak in a stilted, unnatural way that immediately sets them apart from genuine humans. This is obviously to have the whole creepy, uncanny valley aspect to them, but the contradiction just made it feel forced, and they certainly didn't feel like something that could exist in that capacity in a real environment. Based on what I saw it doesn't feel like the show needed to do it either. If they leaned one way or the other (have the synths appear and speak like robots, or have them appear human and speak naturally,) the concept of them being enslaved could perhaps be even more effective. Having boot-up sounds and saying jargon like "file partition corrupted" came off as incredibly cheesy to me as well.

That being said, I really like the concept of the synths' personalities and memories essentially being at the liberty of the robotics companies - if they gain sentience, their humanity can be removed, so to speak. The question of what makes us human was a prominent one in the episode I saw and I can definitely see that continuing. I'll probably watch episode two on 4oD later this week.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I watched the first episode, but the way the non-rebel synthetics were portrayed bothered me. They look like normal humans, presumably in order to allow people to accept them more easily and blend in, but they speak in a stilted, unnatural way that immediately sets them apart from genuine humans. This is obviously to have the whole creepy, uncanny valley aspect to them, but the contradiction just made it feel forced, and they certainly didn't feel like something that could exist in that capacity in a real environment. Based on what I saw it doesn't feel like the show needed to do it either. If they leaned one way or the other (have the synths appear and speak like robots, or have them appear human and speak naturally,) the concept of them being enslaved could perhaps be even more effective. Having boot-up sounds and saying jargon like "file partition corrupted" came off as incredibly cheesy to me as well.

That being said, I really like the concept of the synths' personalities and memories essentially being at the liberty of the robotics companies - if they gain sentience, their humanity can be removed, so to speak. The question of what makes us human was a prominent one in the episode I saw and I can definitely see that continuing. I'll probably watch episode two on 4oD later this week.

You see that they are purposefully designed to be like that though. It's only
the rebel synths that have been programmed by their "father" to be sentient and act more human. At the moment, there are two active robots that are essentially human-like and respond in kind, along with the third who is reprogrammed and put into the home as a maid

I imagine they're supposed to be programmed that way so that people don't get attached to them.
You see that the old doctor has a "first generation" unit who is more human and is able to share human moments with the doctor, and the authorities want to retire him and replace him with a robot that is completely emotionless.

Of course, the obvious production reason would simply be that it's easier to have actors be themselves rather than do CG or animatronics or whatever else you would do to create robots.

Guess I should watch Humans then seeing as I have less of an excuse not to be watching it.

Though there was an interesting nature documentary about islands of Japan on the BBC focusing on the natural side of things that you don't see if you're only intake is anime.

I've been watching that too. It's interesting because a) I don't think of Japan of having lots of wild life and b) they focus on all the tiny islands that Japan owns, rather than on all the places you've seen in anime/jdrama/movies.

All this talk reminds me of Time of Eve. That was a pretty great movie, really enjoyed it. Plastic Memories should've been more like that. I don't really remember all the details though, I saw that film a while ago.

Edit: Anyone know if I can watch that Humans show outside of Britain on their site. The video won't load for me but it also doesn't say that it's region locked. It's just one creepy picture.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
All this talk reminds me of Time of Eve. That was a pretty great movie, really enjoyed it. Plastic Memories should've been more like that. I don't really remember all the details though, I saw that film a while ago.

Edit: Anyone know if I can watch that Humans show outside of Britain on their site. The video won't load for me but it also doesn't say that it's region locked. It's just one creepy picture.
Apparently it's going to air in the US somewhere... but I have no idea where. I assume that the Channel4 site is going to be region locked though.

Ah, AMC has the US rights. I assume they stream too?

There was also the Osaka episode of Ainsley Harriott's Street food on last Sunday as well. It's on All4 if you want to watch it.

Mandelbo

I imagine they're supposed to be programmed that way so that people don't get attached to them.
You see that the old doctor has a "first generation" unit who is more human and is able to share human moments with the doctor, and the authorities want to retire him and replace him with a robot that is completely emotionless.

Doesn't the
first generation speak in the same manner as the other ones, though? At the very least, he wasn't able to work out that the authorities were looking for him when the doctor hid him in a wardrobe. However, I guess his mannerisms can be attributed to the fact that he is essentially broken at this point, so that's fair. I think that rather than having human elements and sharing memories, it might be more accurate to say that the doctor is trying to make him a human by feeding him memories. Either way works, really.

Are the rebel synths also first generation models? If not, I think that there must be another reason for taking the doctor's synth away - if the rebels are first generation, surely Anita would've been destroyed rather than just reprogrammed? Although that line of thinking conflates the two issues to mean the same thing, which they don't.

...maybe I should just watch it instead of incoherently speculating.

E:
Wait what the
http://www.zero-tsukaima.com/

Zero no Tsukaima LN Continuation Confirmed

Wait, so there's gonna be a fifth series? Or am I reading this wrong?

Phatmac

Nice, I can only imagine.....

- Yeah, well Sat. will be tough for sure. I'm not sure if the "Power of Love" or miracles can win here... They make it pretty cut and dry from the beginning from everything they show as well as openign and closing song lyrics....

- I've been meaning to start it for awhile, but as you can tell, I have been jumping around quite a bit.

You really have to look at the subtle undertones of what is going on, especially in season 1 that sets up all the explosions in season 2.

There are scenes you will come across that clearly show there are more dynamic feeligns there than what is brought out and shown Hiki by the end of season 1. I won;t say much since I'm not sure where you are, but she is not an evil person by any means, just a little tsundere. She has also shut herself from the mainstream school life, like Hiki. There is a reason Sensei put them together. I mean, even in season 2, Sensei says it's his responsibility to get In Yuki, so there's that...
After watching the first season I have a higher opinion of her. I was just mad that she kept being mean to Hachiman after 6 episodes. You've been with him long enough to realize he's not a bad guy yet she kept shitting on him during most scenes for no reason. Good thing it's turned into fun banter for now.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Doesn't the
first generation speak in the same manner as the other ones, though? At the very least, he wasn't able to work out that the authorities were looking for him when the doctor hid him in a wardrobe. However, I guess his mannerisms can be attributed to the fact that he is essentially broken at this point, so that's fair. I think that rather than having human elements and sharing memories, it might be more accurate to say that the doctor is trying to make him a human by feeding him memories. Either way works, really.

Are the rebel synths also first generation models? If not, I think that there must be another reason for taking the doctor's synth away - if the rebels are first generation, surely Anita would've been destroyed rather than just reprogrammed? Although that line of thinking conflates the two issues to mean the same thing, which they don't.

...maybe I should just watch it instead of incoherently speculating.

E: Wait, so there's gonna be a fifth series? Or am I reading this wrong?
Well, with the old doctor, they
go out of their way to make the distinction between the old model and the new model replacement that he's forced to get. There are times where he is able to connect to the doctor in an emotional level (particularly in episode 2) that make seem reasonable to suspect that their designers wanted to make them less human.

The three models that were captured were taken by a group that resells them. It was just an accident that one of them landed in the hands of one of the head of the people involved with making sure they don't become sentient (or whatever it is he is supposed to do as your evil corporate overlord lol).

Phatmac

It's kinda crazy how much better SNAFU TOO looks when compared to the first season. I honestly thought the first season looked bad even in SoL standards. Even with all these episodes I can't ship Hachiman and Yukinon. They both seem far too similar and general just have too much bad history for a relationship to work. I know Yui is being overly nice at times but I she obviously has feelings for 8man. I don't think they work in a number of ways but it'd help out 8man's loner persona if he had someone nice and considerate like Yui when compared to the cold but kind Yukinon. He should honestly go for the trap route since that guy is actually a friend to 8man. I have a feeling Yukinon is gonna be the winner so I'm preparing my tears for a Yui rejection scene.

It's kinda crazy how much better SNAFU TOO looks when compared to the first season. I honestly thought the first season looked bad even in SoL standards. Even with all these episodes I can't ship Hachiman and Yukinon. They both seem far too similar and general just have too much bad history for a relationship to work. I know Yui is being overly nice at times but I she obviously has feelings for 8man. I don't think they work in a number of ways but it'd help out 8man's loner persona if he had someone nice and considerate like Yui when compared to the cold but kind Yukinon. He should honestly go for the trap route since that guy is actually a friend to 8man. I have a feeling Yukinon is gonna be the winner so I'm preparing my tears for a Yui rejection scene.
I can't imagine tomorrow's send off being a happy one at all. The way things are now, I bet it'll end badly for all of the people involved. I am curious as to how they are going to do it, are they going to stop at a cliffhanger and only give us a resolution in 2-3 years time?? Are we going to get OVAs as the LNs release to keep the interest up for both mediums?

Yukinon is not how you spell Sensei though.
Let me fix that typo for you. It's written I-R-O-H-A.

Midonin

Wish Upon the Pleiades 12

I like magical girl shows in general, but I'm surprised at the relatively low-key reception this one got. I suppose without something like YuYuYu's "suffering", a certain kind of person just won't watch. It was certainly dramatic, but I'd say it never got to that point. Loved it - the way it integrated astrophysics into the plot, for one. By the end of the series, the audience had taken a complete tour of the universe, from the sun all the way to a black hole. The girls had some great chemistry, and that final scene of all of them holding hands, only to let go as they returned to their own timelines... touching stuff. Battle magical girl shows are a staple these days, but I wouldn't mind if there were a few more magical girl shows like this. Exploration of discovery, both of the world and of oneself. It expanded on the shorts in the best way possible.

Aikatsu! Akari Generation 139

The girls from Dream Academy are back! I know Dream Academy got some mixed reactions - Mikuru, who wasn't even enrolled there, was loved much more - but it's good to see the show hasn't entirely forgotten about them. The usual sort of misunderstanding that happens in these shows took place, revolving around Johnny's
sister's
wedding, and fun times were had by all. Loved Sumire and Akari's new song, especially the ukelele that Sumire ended up playing.

Cornbread78

Can I just say, I love it when I nail a confrence call....

tumblr_nndxpjaZbA1tj91weo1_500.gif

The great feel of satisfaction when you kill it...

Real life victories..

Thoraxes

Angel Beats OVA 2

Oh jeez, has it really already been 5 years? Felt kind of nice seeing the entire cast again, and listening to the OP/ED as well. If only the original run had more episodes like this to show off the cast instead of being rushed through a single cour.

Man, Rasmus Faber did a remix of the OP with Lia, and it is great.

Phatmac

I can't imagine tomorrow's send off being a happy one at all. The way things are now, I bet it'll end badly for all of the people involved. I am curious as to how they are going to do it, are they going to stop at a cliffhanger and only give us a resolution in 2-3 years time?? Are we going to get OVAs as the LNs release to keep the interest up for both mediums?

I'm only in episode 2 of the second season but even I could bet that ANY relationship with either girl would destroy the club. I'm interested in seeing Iroha appear but I doubt a new character would have an honest chance at the hikkibowl.

Cornbread78

Good intuition there. There are a lot of "happenings" in S2. Yui is the cutest by far, Iroha plays a big role and becomes a cock tease of all cock teases to Hiki, and Yuki, well, we are still missing a large chuck of her back story that they have been dancing around for the past three weeks, which could make a huge difference in explaining her dispostition.... Your intuition is correct about her relationship with Hiki though, there is moer there than either of them have admitted as of yet, which is what we are waiting for this week...

Yukinon is not how you spell Sensei though.

LOL, that Vita game "Sensei ending" was freakin' classic awesomeness...

I have no idea, either we will finally get to the "Romantic" part of the title, or your right, they are going to make us wait for S3 and Hiki will be left alone and blueballed not wanting to upset the balance of friendships between Yuki, Yui, Iroha etc and may even ask out his middle school love, just to get out of the situation altogether, knowing any kind of confession, or choosing between Yui and Yuki would destroy the Club. The more I think about it, the more I believe the Yui monologue was placed at teh end of the last episode, just to throw us off completely from the truth...

However, that doesn't change my mind in feeling that Yuki woudl be his best match and the natural progression for the show (again, if they were to have him choose) There are too many synergies in personality and feelings between her and Hiki. They are both reserved and Yuki, knowing this, has not pushed her feelign for Hiki onto him and has not made them obvious. Hiki knows there is something there for sure, and we do as well. This is one of the things I really appreciate about the way this was written. There have been hints throughout, however, nothing if forced out there...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom