• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT2| Euriphonium

Status
Not open for further replies.
The title "Is it Okay to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?" alone should have clued you in that its a series about waifu collection, not combat. The combat exists to justify the fact he has a gigantic fuck-off harem.

That's not really true. If whole show was about collecting waifus they wouldn't have bothered with all the world building and stuff. It's just your generic gamer powerfantasy, nothing more, nothing less. Waifus and fights go hand in hand.

Mandelbo

Alright, episode 8 down, so there's only four more left to go until I'm caught up. I watched way more Plastic Memories than I was expecting to - I should really be asleep now so the last four episodes will have to wait.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
That's not really true. If whole show was about collecting waifus they wouldn't have bothered with all the world building and stuff. It's just your generic gamer powerfantasy, nothing more, nothing less. Waifus and fights go hand in hand.

They didn't though. They didn't tell us shit about the Gods or the dungeon or anything. But we did get a sexy combat elf, a sexy librarian elf, a sexy hobbit, a sexy emotionless warrior girl, a sexy shortstack goddess and a sexy yandere goddess.

Sterok

Nagato Yuki 13

And thus, Nagato Yuki Disappears. Premise done. No need to continue this any further. New Yuki made her peace with Ryoko and Kyon at least. Too bad Haruhi and the others never got to meet her. Her send-off was more poignant than I thought it would be I admit. Time for Haruhi to take over the show again.

They didn't though. They didn't tell us shit about the Gods or the dungeon or anything. But we did get a sexy combat elf, a sexy librarian elf, a sexy hobbit, a sexy emotionless warrior girl, a sexy shortstack goddess and a sexy yandere goddess.

Yandere? Hm... Maybe I should watch this.

So Nisekoi was only 12 episodes? Shaft is free again? Yay.
There is nothing scheduled for the summer season, so the studio has a break this season for preparations for future projects. Nisekoi was only 12 episodes as Aniplex only paid for 13 timeslots and will recoup expenses via 6 BD volumes (only one less than S1 and 8 episodes fewer).

Question, is the team the wrote and crrated the Key animation trilogy of Air/Clannad/Kanon still together? Are they ever going to create something like those again? Dispite the wye gap, I really appreciated their art and storytelling.
The main staff for those three works were:
Director: Tatsuya Ishihara
Series Composer: Fumihiro Shimo
Character Designer/Chief Animation Director: Tomoe Aratani (AIR)/Kazumi Ikeda (Kanon/Clannad)

Tatsuya Ishihara is currently directing Sound! Euphonium this season (though the feel of the show is more from series director Naoko Yamada). He has since directed the 2009 episodes of Haruhi Suzumiya & film, Nichijou/My Ordinary Life (assistant director Taiichi Ishidate), and Love, Chunibyo, & Other Delusions (abbreviated Chu2koi).

Shimo has since worked on a variety of other projects including Haruhi 2009/film, Kokoro Connect, Infinite Stratos, Golden Time, Engaged to the Unknown, and Amagi Brilliant Park (all credited as series composer/scriptwriter).

Aratani moved to Nintendo in 2010 and is a director for their cutscenes in games (especially the Zelda series) while Ikeda worked as an episode/unit animation director in every KyoAni project since Clannad except Beyond the Boundary (she was working as Chief AD for Love, Chunibyo, & Other Delusions's second season). She was chief animation director for Love, Chunibyo, & Other Delusions.

The three/four have not re-united in any project since the Haruhi film (which Ikeda's sister was chief AD/character designer). Ikeda/Shimo had one pairing during Amagi, but Ishihara's episode of Amagi was written by Takemoto.

Guys, is Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood as good as I've heard?

Jojo Stardust Crusaders made me remember how much I love Shounen adventure anime and now that it's over the itch I had for it is back. :(

I'd argue that since the dungeon is supposed to be a mystery. There is also the levelling system and the introduction of Welf who has nothing to do with the harem. This is all besides the point though since we're talking about the combat.

DanMachi's fighting isn't there to justify waifus and it's really not some sort of afterthought. The big problem of Danmachi's combat is that the show has done a terrible job of increasing scale.

The first fights were good. Bell was genuinely struggling and him taking hits and having to dodge around created tension. Which as a result made for some super satisfying moments when Bell finally gets a good hit in. Everything felt super meaty.

After episode 8 this changed though. The fact that there is a party turned a lot of encounters into montages of Bell and the gang cutting up small fry which just gets boring after a while.
When a worthy challenge does step up it's also unsatisfying. Some prime examples would be the final boss and that baby dragon. Because of Bell's Arganout ability we don't see him struggling anymore. There are no arms getting cut off or bones being broken. Bell just runs around doing nothing until he can one-shot his opponent and the animators didn't even take the effort to make it cool. Just some Attack on Titan level combat would've been cool but now every battle (as Delettee!!/Duckroii mentioned in his post) leaves a sour taste behind.

TL;DR: Waifus didn't ruin the combat. Bad powercreep did. Waifus ruining other aspects of the show is debatable

Jojo Stardust Crusaders made me remember how much I love Shounen adventure anime and now that it's over the itch I had for it is back. :(

You'll probably like it. It doesn't have as much charm as JoJo but it's still a very solid shounen battle anime. It's also pretty inofensive
There's a reason why it's popular, check it out. You won't regret it.

Did you watch HxH 2011?

FMA:B is good though.

HxH 2011 is another one of my favourites. Watched that way back in late 2013 when it was still airing.

I still actually have to watch the rest of it though. When I realized the pacing for the castle part of the Chimera Ant arc was going to be nuts, I read the rest of the manga.

Phatmac

Full Metal Alchemist is a must see anime so go see it as soon as you can.

Told you on twitter, will tell you here too YES. FMA:B is a fucking masterpiece of a show. Watch it in english, the dub is superb and fits the setting perfectly.

Why do you think this place is as quiet as it is :p Nope!

You mean I turned down sex with 8 supermodels (3 at once!) and rushed home from work for no reason?

:(

shit Ive been distracted today. Gotta continue S1 and catch up!

Yeeess! Do it. I know what you mean about getting into an anime mood though. Sometimes I can watch 5 series back to back and other times I barely get 2-3 episodes in a week.

But you def want to be here when the last episode drops haha.

I am pretty excited for this one. Very much looking forward to finally watching this!

There are a ton of cute girls in that show so you'll definitely like it.

You definitely should watch FMA, a really great watch. You should also try D-Gray Man (One of my favorite Shonen series) because goddamn does it get really amazing after 50 episodes with a total of 100 episodes, though it does leave on a cliffhanger but it's not that bad.

From what I remember it's a pretty enjoyable series though rather awkwardly paced, I'd say give it a go!

Why the Avatar? I thought you didn't like Sakura.

DbIG6DC.jpg
qNzvKX0.jpg

rZ2Rc5W.png
g2MYjsx.png

xOKxGmJ.jpg
tKuTwU4.png

Sasuga Erina-sama.

It's never a dull moment when she just can't deal with Soma.

Props to her for making one of my favorite dishes.

Actually got me to drive to the nearest store and collect all the ingredients for breakfast.

Again.

You mean I turned down sex with 8 supermodels (3 at once!) and rushed home from work for no reason?

Hmmm... Here are the positives: you are STD free.

Can't think of any other positives. At least you are home and ready to jump on it as soon as it drops. I'm playing Kingdom Hearts and checking every few minutes lol.

Full Metal Alchemist is a must see anime so go see it as soon as you can.

Told you on twitter, will tell you here too YES. FMA:B is a fucking masterpiece of a show. Watch it in english, the dub is superb and fits the setting perfectly.

FMA still my goat shonen action. Assuming one punch man isn't shonen.

From what I remember it's a pretty enjoyable series though rather awkwardly paced, I'd say give it a go!

You definitely should watch FMA, a really great watch.

Welp, guess that settles that, lol.

Keep in mind the series is split over legal sources. Netflix has episodes 1-52 while Hulu has (sub) eps 53-64. I can't think of a logical reason for this, but Funi hasn't thought of a lot of logical things for a while.

Probably gonna go with the dub on this one. It seems to be the one people enjoy more as far as I've heard.

I can't get Hulu, but Funimation has it on their site at least...for subscribers only. UGH.

I might as well go for it anyway. Lord knows with all the show's they're getting I may have to subscribe to them for the Summer just so I can watch Akagami weekly.

cajunator

Banned

Yeeess! Do it. I know what you mean about getting into an anime mood though. Sometimes I can watch 5 series back to back and other times I barely get 2-3 episodes in a week.

But you def want to be here when the last episode drops haha.

There are a ton of cute girls in that show so you'll definitely like it.

I wont be able to catch up in time now but at least I wont have to wait!

Sasuga Erina-sama.

It's never a dull moment when she just can't deal with Soma.

Props to her for making one of my favorite dishes.

Actually got me to drive to the nearest store and collect all the ingredients for breakfast.

Again.

If she wasnt such a mean and rather ugly bitch I might like her a bit.

Cornbread78

There is nothing scheduled for the summer season, so the studio has a break this season for preparations for future projects. Nisekoi was only 12 episodes as Aniplex only paid for 13 timeslots and will recoup expenses via 6 BD volumes (only one less than S1 and 8 episodes fewer).

The main staff for those three works were:
Director: Tatsuya Ishihara
Series Composer: Fumihiro Shimo
Character Designer/Chief Animation Director: Tomoe Aratani (AIR)/Kazumi Ikeda (Kanon/Clannad)

Tatsuya Ishihara is currently directing Sound! Euphonium this season (though the feel of the show is more from series director Naoko Yamada). He has since directed the 2009 episodes of Haruhi Suzumiya & film, Nichijou/My Ordinary Life (assistant director Taiichi Ishidate), and Love, Chunibyo, & Other Delusions (abbreviated Chu2koi).

Shimo has since worked on a variety of other projects including Haruhi 2009/film, Kokoro Connect, Infinite Stratos, Golden Time, Engaged to the Unknown, and Amagi Brilliant Park (all credited as series composer/scriptwriter).

Aratani moved to Nintendo in 2010 and is a director for their cutscenes in games (especially the Zelda series) while Ikeda worked as an episode/unit animation director in every KyoAni project since Clannad except Beyond the Boundary (she was working as Chief AD for Love, Chunibyo, & Other Delusions's second season). She was chief animation director for Love, Chunibyo, & Other Delusions.

The three/four have not re-united in any project since the Haruhi film (which Ikeda's sister was chief AD/character designer). Ikeda/Shimo had one pairing during Amagi, but Ishihara's episode of Amagi was written by Takemoto.

Damn, thanks for the breakdown. It's a shame they can't get them all together once again to create another great, great series full of emotional moments.

Blusby

I thought you hated Sakura.

I reread HF (still holds up well too!) and she ended up as my favorite character in the series along with good ol' Kotomine.

In other news I recently finished Innocent Venus which was a rather forgettable experience to say the least, from its plot to its characterization and such.

I'm watching Princess Tutu though and I'm absolutely loving it, I've always enjoyed metafiction and this series hits all the right notes. To add, Rue may very well be one of the best characters that I've come across in the medium.

Also as far as I know, no other series have been bold enough to include something like anteater ntr:

Defuser

Danmachi ep 13 final
Well that was a mess of a dungeon boss fight despite the epic scale of it. And that explains Bell is so OP stronk and a natural pimp.

Despite all the Hestia is Bestia, the real best girl is Ryuu because she went through a progress throughout the whole cour.

She went from a friend of a side character who We thought Syr was gonna be relevant but the roles got reverse.

Has a complicated past.

She's a strong badass.

Elf girls are always better.

I will always welcome for a season 2 if the production committee wants it.

Hmmm... Here are the positives: you are STD free.

Can't think of any other positives. At least you are home and ready to jump on it as soon as it drops. I'm playing Kingdom Hearts and checking every few minutes lol.

Yeah im gonna play some splatoon and try my best to avoid fire emblem spoilers till snafu!

faridmon

Its the second best Shonen show ever, which means that its a must watch

I should probably watch the DVD i have it already at some point :/

My general apathy with yet another "competition" (just to avoid calling it a "sports") show + the whole "lesbiangate" thing has basically put me off the show.

It's the only show this season(maybe in a while?) where both the writing and production/direction nail it, go for homeruns even.

Lesbiangate is just anime fans being immature, aka non-news. :lol

Quasar

Nisekoi 12 - And it ends with a Chitoge episode, and one I surprisingly enjoyed. Even if it kind of ends with the status quo, though one where Chitoge at least has come to accept her feelings.

Nagato 13 - Well thats that. I kind of wonder about the point of it all now. And its kind of odd seeing a 16 episode series. Such an odd number.

Foodwars 13 - Another good episode, with another character introduced. Happy to see more Erina. I know lots of folks dislike her, but I love her. Maybe it is just her haughty onee-sama personality who I tend to have a thing for.

Dan Machi 13 - Nice finale. Plenty of teasing for more. Guess I'm now stuck waiting for LN translations to catch up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom