• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT2| Euriphonium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narag

Gauche the Cellist
gNxxXqWl.jpg
I21Bxevl.jpg

Zy0KQbBl.jpg
OYAN2kLl.jpg
Part of my entry on the New Year's Resolution To-Watch list had me going through the Ghibli stuff I hadn't seen. Going to watch them all regardless but I realized I don't think I'd ever had any real exposure to Takahata outside of the Takahata/Miyazaki green jacket Lupin episodes. Figured I should start somewhere with his ouevre though and this seemed like a nice fit. It's not his first film but I'll check out Horus and the Panda Kopanda stuff down the line. What also caught my attention was that it was an adaptation of a Kenji Miyazawa work. I'm a great fan of Night on the Galactic Railroad so found myself wanting to watch this for a while now but never really made time until today.

It took me a bit to finally get what was going on but by the end, I found myself thinking this was a really special movie. Gauche learning what it means to feel music via the animals visiting over four nights is great on its own but there's an extra level of execution that fully engaged me when he was playing, drawing me into the work itself. In particular, the mice and the dandelions was such a lovely bit that it was a shame it didn't go on longer. There's some real subtle growth for Gauche that seems rare in anime given how overt everything can be nowadays.

Hidamari Sketch 5

Easily my favorite ep so far as the fevered dreamscape allowed for some unique visuals (even by terms of this show), successfully conveying the strange judgement and anxieties that people, or myself at least, suffer from when sick as Yuno was.

I mentioned to Enron last night, after he mentioned that Hidamari was very rewatchable, that I'd imagine part of that is due to the non-chronological airing such that a minor detail in one episode might actually be a future reference to another that's just plain missed upon first viewing. At first glance, it wasn't something I'd expected out of the show and I think that's caused me to pay closer attention than I might otherwise.

Hidamarii Sketch 6

By contrast, this episode was far more simple and straightforward in its concept of wasting away a summer day which feels far more appropriate for this sort of show.

Hyouka 12
Probably the most fun I've had with a school festival setting short of Beautiful Dreamer, there's so many little touches that made it exciting as the school felt very alive with its activity. Some great decisions were made too such as the cosplayers' choices, setting the POV in the middle of the audience during the talent show, and using Chiitanda's infectious curiosity to make all the various booths and events as exciting for the viewer as it was for her. My favorite little touch, by far, was just how barren the top floor was where the Classics Club is. No decorations in sight, no festival goers milling around, and just Oreki doing nothing. You don't see someone exactly where they belong that often!

Lupin III: Castle of Cagliostro

Like with Takahata as mentioned above, I wanted to start with the beginning with Miyazaki, the idea that I culminate the Ghibli watch with The Wind Rises and Princess Kaguya. This has been a longtime favorite of mine and I was so very glad when Discotek announced the bluray last year. Definitely worth the wait for me and I think I fell in love with this flick all over again.

While the movie is best known for its place as a sort of end-of-career Lupin adventuer and the famous set pieces like the car chase and the clock tower, my favorite part has always been the Clarisse/Lupin interaction. In particular the scene in her tower that's the turning point for her character as Lupin elicits hope for her situation, Lupin's defiant first encounter with the Count, and his calling the Count out after being dumped into the trap. The ending never fails to get me either when Lupin fights with himself to embrace Clarisse. It's such an amazing character moment for him, both the tower and ending being beautiful examples of the gentleman-thief Lupin present in the film.

Lupin III: Daisuke Jigen's Gravestone

Now this was a delightful surprise. If Fujiko Mine gave fans a certain expectation going into the show and as to what it would be about, this felt like a sort of apology for all the missteps involved in the TV series as it's an all around improvement and Koike's designs finally get to shine as they're actually animated. Beautifully, I might add. This was everything I expected from Koike Lupin III that the TV series generally failed to deliver on. The car chase, the gunfights, everything about the action was so damn good. After Fujiko Mine ended, I hoped we'd get specials by him a la the old Dezaki directed specials and while that might not be the case and this might be a one-off, I'm glad it was made.

It also seems to function far better as a lead-in to the first movie than the TV series did as a lead-in to the first TV series, assuming that was the intention. Looks like it's up on Hulu for anyone curious and late to the party like myself.

Mushishi 5
Some unexpected continuity but more importantly we get a glimpse at the weight Ginko's work places on his shoulders. Tying the swamp Mushi into the natural world in how it produced offspring was neat too given Ginko's assertion that Mushi exist between life and death. Seems like they sometimes lean a little more towards life.

Mushishi 6
The Mushi in this ep is so strange. Beyond the fleeting mortality experienced daily, the offering of infinite fresh experience sounds potentially addictive.

Rurouni Kenshin: Tsuioku-hen 1

Another work I've haven't revisited in forever and it's even better than I remember. I think it helps that I can better get the layered storytelling with flashbacks within flashbacks being handled masterfully as well as reading up a bit on the era so having a grasp of just what the Shinsengumi was or who the various historical figures were.

Really though, this is so great and can be watched independently of historical knowledge or familiarity with the Kenshin franchise. It makes great use of shadow and reflection throughout, the former pointing towards the world that Kenshin now inhabits and the latter suggesting the real conflict in the show is internal as Kenshin's desire to help the less fortunate grows tainted by his role of assassin and withers his soul. It's also impressive how free of shounen sensibilities it is with only Seijuro Hiko retaining any sort of unhuman power which is a neat nod to the source material and also appropriate given the gulf of strength between him and most any other. It's just he adheres to the Hiten Mitsurugi-ryu teachings far better than Kenshin so doesn't get involved in the troubles plaguing the land as he's well aware that balance would be greatly upset in that whichever side he takes would be the victorious one.

Space Adventure Cobra TV 11

This might be the worst ep of Cobra yet. Not to say it's bad, it's actually kinda good but I think this is where the movie has hurt me some as Sandra just isn't a very interesting foil to Cobra like Crystal Boy was in the TV show or at this point in the movie where the secret of Nelson's treasure was revealed. Traipsing through the temple seemed mostly a by-the-numbers thing but hey, at least it brought some cool visuals at times via using Cobra's cigar as the lone light source. Preview for the following episode looks decent though as Sandra using the weapon looks like it'll elevate her threat level to Cobra when it's essentially been nil thus far.

I figured they would move in that direction as you could tell from the closing of S2. However, I thought it was more towards the
medical research angle it will be interesting if they move completely sway from ALO and the recreated A incredible then
still a long ways away then..
That was the intention of kirito . there is time between S2 and S3, during this time period , kirito does more research on VR worlds and beta test is several projects that tried to use Vr technology of other applications. However,
Kirito is found IRL by the last remainig member of the laughing conffin and get stabbed with Succinylcholine , stopping his heart , in front of a crying asuna, this event changes EVERYTHING and led to the introduction of "the underworld" , the place that will take 1 full page to explain all , and witch is the setting for season 3

This is pretty far off and it's been a while since I read it, so the context is going to get muddled, but sure.

Imagine there's a Hogwarts Academy for swords. Kirito and his bro for this arc end up attending it for a while and make progress there, enough to have two comely sword squire girls assigned to them since they're upperclassmen now.

But some sleazebag noble guys doesn't like that country bumpkins(Kirito and his bro) have any sort of standing in the academy, so they kidnap and drug both of their squires for sexytime. This is being done through some loophole because this world has an internal(as in your body unconsciously must follow it) law against violence that nobles are conveniently exempt from, against those of lesser standing.

Kirito and his bud find out, walk in on the act, and murder them, violating the law. My memory is fuzzy on who does the murdering, but they're special in a way that allows them to break the law where most wouldn't be capable(of course). This does have major repercussions that lead into the next part of the arc and IIRC the whole thing was also implied to be a setup for one of them to act with killing intent.

I'm sure R_thanatos can clear up the parts that need to be cleared up, but I left the major context out in case the adaptation gets that far.

Well i can try to clear some things about this part. ( yes it's the most moral ambigous passage of the whole franchise )

I'm totally unsure what i can spoil or not so i'll just say that they didn't murder the nobles they wounded them, the nobles died , because they couldn't deal with the situation.( they failed to restore their life because doing so would go against the codex in that situation ) The problem with this part is that the 2 nobles are GRADE AAA assholes and they actually well ... how do i say this ? see the vilain from the 2nd part of Season 1 ?? Imagine that but 10 times nastier and perverse . That roughly how this scene was.

wtf again with the
rapey shit?
good lord

It's explained later that the nobles are basicly the most scum of humanity in that universe to everything that isn't a noble anyway. The writter made them as asshollish as possible ( you can not do better than that ....EVER )

Enron

Banned
Hidamari Sketch 5

Easily my favorite ep so far as the fevered dreamscape allowed for some unique visuals (even by terms of this show), successfully conveying the strange judgement and anxieties that people, or myself at least, suffer from when sick as Yuno was.

I mentioned to Enron last night, after he mentioned that Hidamari was very rewatchable, that I'd imagine part of that is due to the non-chronological airing such that a minor detail in one episode might actually be a future reference to another that's just plain missed upon first viewing. At first glance, it wasn't something I'd expected out of the show and I think that's caused me to pay closer attention than I might otherwise.

Hidamarii Sketch 6

By contrast, this episode was far more simple and straightforward in its concept of wasting away a summer day which feels far more appropriate for this sort of show.

wide is the best

Midonin

PriPara 51

Hibiki - handsome is he - Mr. Saionji
Not as planned, but without a brand
She can't be CG
So many stories are mixed
Fuwari's plans have been nixed
At this rate a princess she'll never be!

Japan loves borrowing things from European cultures. They've been doing it since they started (by force) making contact with the rest of the world, nativizing it. Which is why most of the examples for The Blue Bird's in popular culture section are from Japan. I knew I'd heard of the Bluebird of Happiness before, in the context of Haruhi Suzumiya. But this is a different kind of show, one willing to subvert that.

So Fuwari meets the Bluebird of Unhappiness, Toriko, the only mascot/fluffy toy that won't be drawn to her like a moth to a lamp. Which, curiously, makes him the only scout mascot who isn't an asshole. Unicorn was really more of a tsundere, and Usacha was extremely innocent, but let's not split hairs. Fuwari's found her mascot, one that can literally warp the rules of luck...

And in that regard, I think flipping the Bluebird of Happiness on its head makes for an interesting twist. She knows exactly where the bird is, that the bad luck it causes is real, but she believes she's found her mascot, even if his merch is broken. It's arriving at the same conclusion via a different route.

Which is, also, I think, why Japan is fascinated with stories like Heidi and A Little Princess. Stories about young girls overcoming adversity seems to be a real hit with their country, from stuff like PriPara all the way up to Madoka Magica.

I do wonder if anything's going to come of the princess training, because Hibiki is the first guy in the show besides Meganii who plays a somewhat major role. Leona seems to not mind being identified as a girl, so let's leave that can of worms off the table. John Oliver covered it far better than I ever could. I predict Hibiki will probably be like Kanata and Sena (from Aikatsu), who he resembles a mix of. Teased as a kinda maybe love interest, but nothing will ever really come of it.

Also, this episode featured a performance of "CHANGE! MY WORLD" done in ninja outfits. I couldn't ask for anything else. Love that song - which is part of why I bought the first season complete song album in the first place. Can't spend too long on buildup though, Fuwari's first performance is next week. And I am excited.

Your Lie in April 5-6 [REWATCH]

All the feels. I just cannot quit this. There's a certain melancholy to this show that I just love. There's a poetic nature to it that's almost intrinsic to it because of it's subject matter. There is beauty in every frame. The story that is woven really is well done. The art style is impeccable. I just don't have enough good things to say about this show. I wish I do a better analysis of the show but I will save that for later at the end.

tumblr_nkmb4cRVXo1sx3znro1_500.gif

Just rewatched Spirited Away on blu-ray. Movie was much better than I remember it to be, and the HD art is just jaw dropping.

Ghibli is so good at animating goopy things and food. But man the creativity and designs in this movie are off the charts. The lovely story was just icing on the cake.

Its nice to have a truly magical experience like this time to time. Just feel so good right now.

kewlmyc

SAO 11-14

The Yui arc was unexpected, but I don't have much to say other than
I really couldn't feel sad considering we've known her for roughly 25 minutes before she disappears.
Also, Kirito is a skilled hacker? Sure, why not. I'll go with it.

The last 2 episodes were really enjoyable until the climax though. It's nice seeing actual teamwork in an anime series like this. I was expecting Kirito to somehow solo the boss like he kinda did with the Minotaur, but he didn't. Plus we got to see Agil in action, so huzzah for that. The climax however, was kinda confusing.

Fucking what?

Kirito's deduction of who the guild leader's identity was was kinda reaching. What would you have done if you were wrong, and he just had great reacting time? Just a small nitpick, but the rest not so much. Asuna can override paralysis using the power of love? Kirito dies, then comes back as a ghost and kills the big bad anyway? We're supposed to be sympathetic to the big bad after causing the deaths of 4000 people? Kirito lived anyway? I already knew both Asuna and Kirito would live due to there being a season 2 and whatnot, but I had no idea they died in SAO.
If it was just one small nitpick, I wouldn't have minded it. But for the finale of this 14 episode long arc to be filled with so many nitpicks in the course of 10 minutes, it's just disappointing. Wish it ended better. It was fun right up until then though. I'll start the Fairy Land arc tomorrow. Since I hear it's the worst arc, I'm bracing myself for it.

For those who read the LN, does it explain properly how
Kirito comes back as a ghost to kill the big bad? Please don't say it was willpower. Considering SAO had rules they set for themselves given the MMO world that they were in, Kirito just breaking the game rules to win would be really disappointing.

Also does it explain how Kirito and Asuna survive? I'm assuming since it takes 10 seconds before the brain to fry after they die in game (from what I remember), Kirito ending the game before Asuna's 10 seconds were up prevented her dying in real life.

that show got way to melodramatic for my taste but I'll probably try and watch it again.

Oh. I never got that impression personally. With the type of show it is it's actually kind of subdued compared to other shows like it (Anohana, Toradora, etc.).

Edit: Sorry, I wanted to expand a little on the above comment. It is a dramatic when it needs to be. But it always, at least to me, tries to not overdo it. When it's not being dramatic it really focuses in on the music and characters. Which makes the dramatic moments that much more impactful when they do happen. The characters all all well written to the point where you almost root for everyone.

Cornbread78

That was the intention of kirito . there is time between S2 and S3, during this time period , kirito does more research on VR worlds and beta test is several projects that tried to use Vr technology of other applications. However,
Kirito is found IRL by the last remainig member of the laughing conffin and get stabbed with Succinylcholine , stopping his heart , in front of a crying asuna, this event changes EVERYTHING and led to the introduction of "the underworld" , the place that will take 1 full page to explain all , and witch is the setting for season 3
)[/SPOILER]

wait, he doesn't actually die from that, right? We still get our Asuna & Kirito wedding?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I really like the manga and I still had to 5/10 the series just for how ridiculously paced it was. This needed to be two cours; good lord.
I honestly expected it to end as any other anime like this would end. It actually makes me want to watch the anime. lol

kewlmyc

Wait wait wait, did they
actually end
Yamada-Kun and the Seven Witches??

Wow. lol

It ended at a point in the manga that has a conclusive ending. Of course the manga decided to keep going and is pretty terrible now, so I'm actually hoping for no second season.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The ending was really well done. I didn't read the mango, so I'm not sure what they cut out to make it only 12 episodes, but it was a fun watch.
The manga is like hundreds of chapters, so yeah. lol

It ended at a point in the manga that has a conclusive ending. Of course the manga decided to keep going and is pretty terrible now, so I'm actually hoping for no second season.
Wait, the manga ended like that and then kept going?

jman2050

I couldn't do the second season of Minami-ke. I'm sorry, it's just not good at all.

Third and fourth are good though, especially the fourth.

Cornbread78

The Kawai Complex ep.4-9
qaypmvdqkwlbq2achfcr.png

Ok, this show is a lot of fun to watch. I mean, my vacation officially started tonight after work and instead of playing my PS4, I've spent the entire time watching this on Crunchy, lol. The characters are all unique and have personality (outside of the love interest, of course) and the interactions are hilarious in the house. Obviously, there is the budding romance in the background, but this is really all about their lives in the house and messing with each other like fun roommates.

Link Man

Banned
The Kawai Complex ep.4-9
qaypmvdqkwlbq2achfcr.png

Ok, this show is a lot of fun to watch. I mean, my vacation officially started tonight after work and instead of playing my PS4, I've spent the entire time watching this on Crunchy, lol. The characters are all unique and have personality (outside of the love interest, of course) and the interactions are hilarious in the house. Obviously, there is the budding romance in the background, but this is really all about their lives in the house and messing with each other like fun roommates.

One of my favorite comedies last year, really ticked off that Sentai is only releasing a DVD for now. Also, really catchy ED.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
They resolved the whole witches thing and then realized there's nothing left to do so they just reset the whole scenario by giving the powers to another set of girls.
sleeping.gif
What the fuuuuuck. lol

The Kawai Complex ep.4-9
qaypmvdqkwlbq2achfcr.png

This image is a filthy lie and is why this series is bad. :(

Thoraxes

The Kawai Complex ep.4-9
qaypmvdqkwlbq2achfcr.png

It was one of my favorites last year. I always looked forward to the next episode.

Kino's Journey 06 & 07

Great direction and foreshadowing in these two episodes. The puppet show was the highlight. Not sure I agree with Kino's actions as it just perpetuates the chaos.

Link Man

Banned
Hey cornbread, are you looking for a cute, happy show on Crunchyroll? I'd like to throw a suggestion for Hanayamata your way. Always brought a smile to my face.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon S: Episode 118:

I recall the first time watching this season back in the day getting bored with the S season at a certain point and taking a break from it, I am remembering why I did this, the Chibi-Usa-Hotaru relationship, while integral to the overarching plot is also really boring to watch and has sidelined everybody else. The Outer in particular have been reduced to inactive observers who utter portents about the danger of Hotaru without doing anything. That being said, this was a nice change of pace since it eschewed the usual formula and gave us something different and it was rather refreshing to watch. Still, I am quite ready for this mini-arc to be over and done with. Mild recommendation to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom