• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT2| Euriphonium

Status
Not open for further replies.

KazenY2J

last eupho pv ever because we can't have nice things
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlpIj6kwA54

gGvT7lN.jpg
Pouring all the budget for the final performance.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Punchline 12
eh it's okay. Definitely not uchikoshi finest work. But this show did remind me i havent play virtue last reward. So all is not lost. Oh great sakuga though, except pine vs guriko sword fight which looks goofy

cajunator

Banned
Patema Inverted

After finally getting the bluray and sitting down to watch, I absolutely fell in love with this movie. Patema inverted is about a young girl named Patema who goes out exploring a forbidden zone in her world. She falls down a tunnel, ending up clinging precariously in a completely inverted world. There she meets Age, a boy attending school in a very totalitarian 1984-like society where every little thing is monitored and scrutinized. Suddenly united, both of them have to discover just what the secret is between the two worlds.

Aside from Patema being a major cutie, I really love the setup here. The sci-fi idea of reverse gravity worlds and falling up is a pretty interesting concept, and although done before in games and movies, this is perhaps the first time anime has ambitiously used this idea. The worlds are realized in beautiful detail and the animation and art is very crisp and gorgeous. I also really enjoyed the music, though certain pieces are reminiscent of something and I cant quite figure out what it is. It is very atmospheric and it makes the scenes pop.

Without going into spoiler territory, Ill just say that it can get a bit confusing sometimes, but there is a definite logic to this world and its inhabitants, and if you give this movie a watch I think you will be pleasantly surprised and fall for its charms as I did. Its a very clever movie.

TUSR

Banned
Patema Inverted

After finally getting the bluray and sitting down to watch, I absolutely fell in love with this movie. Patema inverted is about a young girl named Patema who goes out exploring a forbidden zone in her world. She falls down a tunnel, ending up clinging precariously in a completely inverted world. There she meets Age, a boy attending school in a very totalitarian 1984-like society where every little thing is monitored and scrutinized. Suddenly united, both of them have to discover just what the secret is between the two worlds.

Aside from Patema being a major cutie, I really love the setup here. The sci-fi idea of reverse gravity worlds and falling up is a pretty interesting concept, and although done before in games and movies, this is perhaps the first time anime has ambitiously used this idea. The worlds are realized in beautiful detail and the animation and art is very crisp and gorgeous. I also really enjoyed the music, though certain pieces are reminiscent of something and I cant quite figure out what it is. It is very atmospheric and it makes the scenes pop.

Without going into spoiler territory, Ill just say that it can get a bit confusing sometimes, but there is a definite logic to this world and its inhabitants, and if you give this movie a watch I think you will be pleasantly surprised and fall for its charms as I did. Its a very clever movie.

I tried so hard to like this movie, the villain
was so 1 dimensional and the plot "twist" was predictable.

But I used to have a Patema avatar.

Which has similar hair and skin colour to my current one.

What does this mean?

edit: and sinon has similar hair colour too, what the hell.

cajunator

Banned
I tried so hard to like this movie, the villain
was so 1 dimensional and the plot "twist" was predictable.

But I used to have a Patema avatar for a while.

It was predictable but I still loved it. Its not a particularly difficult movie to comprehend and the villain as you said doesnt have much depth to him and that possibly knocks it down a few notches, but this is more about the story than the individual characters in this case.
Honestly I think this movie could have made for a really excellent series, and I would love to explore this world in more depth and give more depth to these characters. I was thoroughly entertained for the duration of this movie.

TUSR

Banned
It was predictable but I still loved it. Its not a particularly difficult movie to comprehend and the villain as you said doesnt have much depth to him and that possibly knocks it down a few notches, but this is more about the story than the individual characters in this case.
Honestly I think this movie could have made for a really excellent series, and I would love to explore this world in more depth and give more depth to these characters. I was thoroughly entertained for the duration of this movie.

Definitely, I really did love the movie and characters enough that I wanted more.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Ninja Slayer 11
Just when i think Ninja Slayer couldn't find a way to innovate animation industry, they did this looping animation where Ninja Slayer beat the living shit out of Dark Ninja-san 10 times using mirrored animation looping.

Alabama drop/10

Ninja Slayer 11
Just when i think Ninja Slayer couldn't find a way to innovate animation industry, they did this looping animation where Ninja Slayer beat the living shit out of Dark Ninja-san 10 times using mirrored animation looping.

Alabama drop/10

Best fight of the season. AARGH!

cajunator

Banned
The first half isn't good, it's just not as bad as the rest

Thats pretty true lol. Faint praise as it were.

I loooove Sanya, I was thinking of making her my next avi. Her magic is cool, she's incredibly cute and beautiful, I love her! I hope she gets a ton more screen time.

Edit: Well, I really really like Nazuna with bunny ears.... a little too much to replace her just yet. The cute background and Nazuna's expression, mimics my own when I write up reviews of cute shows.. hehehe, I'm like a wild Nazuna!

Sanya was my previous avatar only replaced because...well look how cute Nazrin is!
I may go back to her picture eventually.
She really is a cutie!

Hey, do you know what we really need? Accel World S2.

It's an actual decent anime based off an LN written by Reki Kawahara.

Hell yes. I would loooooooove Accel World 2. Not sure if theres anything left to adapt though. It seems Kawahara is much more interested in continuing SAO :(
But Accel World has Kuroyukihime and that alone makes it exemplary!

Ya know, I totally forgot to include this in my Strike Witches write up, but I love how all the girls gain a tail and ears from an animal, they're all super cute and it's really neat to see. I wish I had a cute tail and some ears when I used magical powers!

I love that too and its one of the main reasons why Zachy adores Strike Witches.
I actually have a couple figures from Strike Witches, of Sanya and Perrine. I really love everything about the series.
Kancolle almost seems like it tried to emulate Strike Witches' success but ultimately the characters arent as memorable and the naval style of fighting leaves much less to the imagination than dogfighting witch girls.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Mondays; Sailor Moon S: Episode 119:

Oh hey, speaking of the plot, it has finally returned in full force as the manga retcons continue to be added. This time around they finally graft the origins of the Death Busters onto the story but have revealed nothing beyond them being invaders, possibly from space. Also, the true intentions of The Outers is added, their mission, their tragic solitary mission is to stop the arrival of Sailor Saturn, guardian of Death and Rebirth and the one processioned to expunge the world of all life. They are trying to mix that in with their own Messiah of Silence invention and it works well enough but you can see the seams as well. Anyway, most of the episode plays out like any other in this mini-arc except that The Outers have regained their agency as the verification of Hotaru's identity is finally confirmed and The Outers waste no time in trying to kill her and The Inners are resolute in protecting her, but before the Sailor Civil War can actually begin Hotaru ups and teleports out and we are left waiting if she has fully awakened yet. High recommendation to watch and dear god good riddance to that mini-arc.

Firemind

Nah, the later seasons are still pretty great comedy, even if season 1 is the best. Tadaima comes pretty close to season 1.
Except for the character designs, animation, colour palettes, music score. Not to mention the excessive fanservice. The characters in S1 weren't saints either, but I felt they were getting more and more depraved for the sake of 'comedy' the longer it went on.

Mandelbo

Saikano 02

It feels like this is moving really quickly - the
timeskip after the air raid meant that we didn't see a lot of the changes Chise went through with her body. She's concerned about how she's growing, but we only very briefly saw what she was like before that. Shuji's decision for them to run away also doesn't seem like the best of ideas. He even admits it himself! Given that he stopped Chise from taking down the military helicopter it also doesn't look like he has any semblance of a plan, either.
I'd gathered that Chise is
constantly being monitored
during episode one, but the implications it could have on Shuji as well could prove to be quite a strain on their relationship.

It was kinda funny when some
ballistic missiles fell out of her back. Did she make the missiles? Or were they stored inside her beforehand? Not too important really, but it did seem a little silly!

Quasar

Sidonia 2.12 - And thats that. A OK end. A nice bit of quiet time post battle before we sign off. And some interesting setup pieces for a third season if it happens. Really hope it does. As much as I dislike the Netflix exclusive I hope it does well there so they fund more of this. Of course the scene going back to where he started made me think that might be it.

Quasar

Nah, the later seasons are still pretty great comedy, even if season 1 is the best. Tadaima comes pretty close to season 1.

I liked them all personally. My gripes are mostly about things not really moving forward. But I guess that's like complaining about Maggie Simpson not growing up.

Saudades

Is the OVA series Blue Submarine 6 any good?
I tried to watch it last night but the videogame cutscene tier CGI in the first 10 minutes kinda killed my eyes. I'm not sure I can endure the whole thing unless there's some other saving grace.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Is the OVA series Blue Submarine 6 any good?
I tried to watch it last night but the videogame cutscene tier CGI in the first 10 minutes kinda killed my eyes. I'm not sure I can endure the whole thing unless there's some other saving grace.

Not from what I remember, been ages since I saw that though.

Arcadius

Banned
Patema Inverted

Good to know. I've been sitting on the Blu-ray for a while now, I'll probably watch it this week, could always use a good movie to watch.

Sanya was my previous avatar only replaced because...well look how cute Nazrin is!
I may go back to her picture eventually.
She really is a cutie!

Too true, Nazrin is really cute ~~!

So if anyone missed it or people actually read what I wrote (Lurkers included), heres what I watched this weekend.

Strike Witches
Couldn't Become A Hero
Hand Maid May
Fuujin Monogatari (Windy Tales)
Vividred Operation

Sorry if the continued format gets boring to read without an in-depth analysis for these shows (or past ones too), really enjoyed what I've seen, as you can tell.... a particular theme for this weekend ~ =)

Mitch

Banned
Dropped by my parents' place to pick up something yesterday morning, and my sister was watching Toonami/Adult Swim. The 2nd episode of Michiko & Hatchin was playing, and she said it looked cool from seeing commercials for it.

I sat there for a moment and watched a bit, and decided to pick it up. Watched the first two episodes, and got some heavy Lupin, Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo vibes.

This will keep me busy until the Summer shows start airing.

Yeah I can understand that. I've given enough presentations where if I put down everything I wanted to say on my actual slides they would just be blocks of text :p. If there is basic literature you could point people to to help with the background info needed to get the most of the presentation that may take some pressure off your slides (for the sake of online readers that is).

Yeah I would like to hear this too, I didn't know we had someone noteworthy enough to host a panel in this thread.

My institution has a type of software that captures the video shown on screen with the audio from a presenter so students can listen to the presentation at a later date. I was stuck on trying to think how I could acquire a copy of the software for non-academic (though kinda academic) reasons, but I think I could replicate it with recording myself via Audacity/Windows Movie Maker for a video on YouTube. That seems to be the best way IMO to provide both a reference image(s) alongside the auditory information and it'll allow you to back up and listen to something again.

I felt SAO had some good depth with neuroscience and this may allow me to cover some additional material I wouldn't have time for in an hour long presentation (I'm going through the 5 main senses, the motor functions, how the NerveGear works and where we are now with current technology, the physical problems of being stuck in SAO for so long, and VR tech's development. That doesn't even get into multisensory processing (which may be more difficult for the NerveGear than Kawahara would think), the Medicuboid (I'd like to read v7 again to ensure my information's correct, but I love the concept), the use of VR as a way to overcome phobias (for example, I'm deathly afraid of falling. This could be a way for me to experience something like skydiving without the actual risk of dying.), and the whole application use for people paralyzed to "live" again similar to what happens later on.

SAO to me is good just on the basis of a way for me personally to think "how would this work?" and "what would need to happen to make this a reality?" similar to how a lot of science is inspired by sci-fi. I just found it amusing when people bash the nonrealistic portions and I'm thinking "there's utterly no way the NerveGear works in reality as described, so I'm just in it for the ride."

Well I'll just about never give a show credits for coming up with a premise, unless it's a really clever one. Coming up with a 'good enough' premise is the easiest thing in the world. What then matters if you can actually execute on that, which is s.th. where SAO falls flat completely.

There isn't one single aspect that the Kawahara really researched or has a clue about, from technology and games to how the fuck human beings work. Is there any interesting facet to the NerveGear? There isn't really, it's the most generic, plot-abiding device that's really not anything new. This kind of virtual reality headset has been done a thousand times before.

Now there's nothing against taking about the neuroscience and the current and future possibilities of these virtual reality advancing devices, but SAO certainly doesn't earn any references to the show when doing so. If you just take it from the basic premise, fine, but while SAO is recent it's certainly far from the first.

cm osi

SNAFU S2 13

Now I've finished this, I need something else to fill this hole in my life.

Great episode to finish the season.

Yui was phenomenal this episode while Hachiman was on point as usual. I felt like I understood what Yui wanted but I'm still a bit confused about her motivations. What did she mean by I want it all? What answer was she expecting from Yukino regarding her proposal? I think she won't win it all whatever the result of her actions is.

I hope there will be an animated version of the story's resolution as I really want more.

can i suggest you the light novels? they're fast to read and they're on a whole different level than the anime. Like, for every spoken line there are 5-6 of hachiman monologue, and most of them were cut for obvious reason. if you have time, of course.

Yamada End
I'm actually impressed that they managed to get through ~90 chapters of the manga and not have it be butchered and end up rushed in a far worse way. This was a pretty decent adaptation. If only Yamada had ended with this arc.

cajunator

Banned
ridiculous. it's like you guys aren't even paying attention to the multiple shows with protagonists with the same attributes.

A lot of shows have gary stu protags. Only SAO goes full on stupid with it to this level.
This isnt counting shounen anime in which practically every protag goes gary stu.
But Kirito being a Gary stu is just one of a thousand problems with that show.

Strike Witches 2

Episode 1 - 3

Yessssss, more ecchi, more extra detailed pantsu, more lore and story, this is exactly what I was hoping for! Fantastic OP and ED's, really great orchestrated music used as BGM. The same art style and colors and everything. Did I mention the amazing ecchi, 'cause it's flipping amazing!

We start off with a bang, almost as if there was no break between Strike Witches and Strike Witches 2.

We finally see the brooms that real witches use! It was really funny seeing Perrine get heated up by the broom. "It's...it's rubbing between my legs!!" ahahaha, too good, nice ecchi, perfect; especially when Anna-san presses the broom against... well you get the picture.

Lynne and Yoshika-chan are still fantastic and adorable together, truly a true pairing.

Going to bed now, feel pretty good about the amount of anime I watched today; Strike Witches is fantastic. Hand Maid Way was a lot of fun and I Couldn't Become a Hero was also a lot of fun. Great ecchi anime with great characters and just a lot of good fun, hehehe.

You are sooo adorable! *squeezes

People shit on SAO because it's popular and bad.

If it was just bad no one would give a fuck. It's like ripping on One Direction or Grown Ups 2.

I dont mind a bad show being popular. SAO juist particularly made me angry. I dont know what it was in particular about that show but it set me off.

Jintor

sao might have good depth with neuroscience but it is absolutely one hundred percent idiotic when it comes to lawmaking, policy decisions or any kind of regulation of EXTREMELY DANGEROUS VR HELMETS

Jintor

hey bill how do you feel about this vr helmet tech software that we know trapped like a thousand people in a virtual world and they all like starved and shit and suffered immense psychological damage if they didn't die because if you die in the game you die for in life

SHIP IT

Mendrox

I see the SAO battle still rages on, lol.

People just don't realize that SAO is just epic anime nonsense like many other animes. It is fine for what it is and the soundtrack and animation are good and also the waifus are fine (Sinon <3). The story bits are stupid, but who cares... I wanna see people in MMOs wreck shit and do mary sue shit.

Season 3 will have a stupid story too (I know what happens and it is lolworthy, but keeps it going in the right way), but it will be fine and people will eat it.

sao might have good depth with neuroscience but it is absolutely one hundred percent idiotic when it comes to lawmaking, policy decisions or any kind of regulation of EXTREMELY DANGEROUS VR HELMETS

real talk :
Much of the safety tests were falsified ( people in charge of it were bribed ) . People didn't found out untill the event ( launch of SAO ) and they made the second helmet that had the real safeties in place that were intended for the project.

In before , "this wasn't explained in the anime so it doesn't count"

Mandelbo

Saikano 03

Thank God Shuji abandoned his
stupid running away plan. I don't really like Shuji, to be honest. His inability to think things through annoys me and I feel that it'll be the cause of a number of problems later. For instance, we are shown that Chise has developed some form of precognition when she predicts that the pager will ring a few seconds before it does. Immediately after this he goes off with the teacher he fawns over and "lies down" with her (whether or not this is implied sex I'm not sure, but they've already set a precedent for it by showing us that the two have had sex before.) This seems like an extraordinarily bad idea given that Chise already suspects that something's up with him, even more so that she may be able to know what he's doing thanks to her newfound precognition. Chise is already emotionally unstable and is coincidentally also a war machine - it probably isn't wise to piss her off.

Since they gave up on
running away,
though, I can't quite work out where this is going. Obviously I know that Chise
is probably going to die or turn into something that barely resembles her based on the opening,
but I wonder what's actually going to happen next? Is Chise just going to keep
going off and fighting?
Maybe she'll
kill off the teacher if she finds out that Shuji loves her too.

kewlmyc

Yamada End
I'm actually impressed that they managed to get through ~90 chapters of the manga and not have it be butchered and end up rushed in a far worse way. This was a pretty decent adaptation. If only Yamada had ended with this arc.

True that. The current arc isn't terrible, but dear god, it's no where near how good the first witch hunt arc was.

cajunator

Banned
tumblr_nkmb4cRVXo1sx3znro1_500.gif

Just rewatched Spirited Away on blu-ray. Movie was much better than I remember it to be, and the HD art is just jaw dropping.

Ghibli is so good at animating goopy things and food. But man the creativity and designs in this movie are off the charts. The lovely story was just icing on the cake.

Its nice to have a truly magical experience like this time to time. Just feel so good right now.

Oh thats right. This came out on bluray!
I must have it ASAP!
It must look so gorgeous in HD.

SAO 11-14

The Yui arc was unexpected, but I don't have much to say other than
I really couldn't feel sad considering we've known her for roughly 25 minutes before she disappears.
Also, Kirito is a skilled hacker? Sure, why not. I'll go with it.

The last 2 episodes were really enjoyable until the climax though. It's nice seeing actual teamwork in an anime series like this. I was expecting Kirito to somehow solo the boss like he kinda did with the Minotaur, but he didn't. Plus we got to see Agil in action, so huzzah for that. The climax however, was kinda confusing.

Fucking what?

Kirito's deduction of who the guild leader's identity was was kinda reaching. What would you have done if you were wrong, and he just had great reacting time? Just a small nitpick, but the rest not so much. Asuna can override paralysis using the power of love? Kirito dies, then comes back as a ghost and kills the big bad anyway? We're supposed to be sympathetic to the big bad after causing the deaths of 4000 people? Kirito lived anyway? I already knew both Asuna and Kirito would live due to there being a season 2 and whatnot, but I had no idea they died in SAO.
If it was just one small nitpick, I wouldn't have minded it. But for the finale of this 14 episode long arc to be filled with so many nitpicks in the course of 10 minutes, it's just disappointing. Wish it ended better. It was fun right up until then though. I'll start the Fairy Land arc tomorrow. Since I hear it's the worst arc, I'm bracing myself for it.

For those who read the LN, does it explain properly how
Kirito comes back as a ghost to kill the big bad? Please don't say it was willpower. Considering SAO had rules they set for themselves given the MMO world that they were in, Kirito just breaking the game rules to win would be really disappointing.

Also does it explain how Kirito and Asuna survive? I'm assuming since it takes 10 seconds before the brain to fry after they die in game (from what I remember), Kirito ending the game before Asuna's 10 seconds were up prevented her dying in real life.

This is the point at which I just put my hands up and said fuck this show.
First show I actually ragequitted.

Kino's Journey 05

Pretty good episode.

Three men on the rails is a particularly poignant episode.
However Im kind of surprised you like this one given that it is a similar format too the episode you didnt like.

Ponytail Kumiko >

Hell yes. That ponytail is sublime.

Kino's Journey 06 & 07

Great direction and foreshadowing in these two episodes. The puppet show was the highlight. Not sure I agree with Kino's actions as it just perpetuates the chaos.

I love this arc. It is the only two parter in the whole series but a very interesting one. Kino actually demonstrates a rarely used fighting ability and uncharacteristically disrupts the order of the land. Proving that Kino is in fact still human and will react under extreme circumstances. Though Kino was basically forced into participation in this instance.
The next episode is much more laid back but easily one of my favorites.

Firemind

SAO 11-14

Kirito's deduction of who the guild leader's identity was was kinda reaching. What would you have done if you were wrong, and he just had great reacting time?
Because he blatently haxed his way out in their first confrontation? Remember? The rest, eh. I'll just chalk it up to a wizard did it. Kawahara being the wizard.

For those who read the LN, does it explain properly how
Kirito comes back as a ghost to kill the big bad? Please don't say it was willpower. Considering SAO had rules they set for themselves given the MMO world that they were in, Kirito just breaking the game rules to win would be really disappointing.

Also does it explain how Kirito and Asuna survive? I'm assuming since it takes 10 seconds before the brain to fry after they die in game (from what I remember), Kirito ending the game before Asuna's 10 seconds were up prevented her dying in real life.

You actually have 60 secs before your death in the game and the fact that you were revived.
Asuna died in the game but since the game "ended" , she didn't die irl.
Kirito did use "willpower" to do a double-ko. It has to do with the infinte possibilities of the human brain that even the nervegear couldn't replicate. it's ambigous by the writter himself because not even him want to explain it in detail..

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I am in need of a Japanese Culture Expert™.

On episode 3 of Hidamari Sketch x Honeycomb, Hiro is making Pepperoncini for pasta for everyone and she substituted a lot of garlic for peppers since they were out. Then Sae says "Tomorrow..." (tomorrow is when school starts again) and the numbers "9" and "1" appear on her glasses. Hiro panics and tells everyone to drink some milk.

WHAT IS THE JOKE HERE???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom