• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT2| Euriphonium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crocodile

Funny you should say that! I'm presenting a panel at Otakon next month called "The Neuroscience of Sword Art Online." I was impressed with things that Kawahara never really thought about such as the lack of focus in peripheral vision (similar to how our eyes have to be constantly moving so we get light reflected into our corneas). While he brushes aside the impact of preventing signals being sent to peripheral nerves (basically causing them to rot), he has a good set-up designed.

<-Neuroscience doctoral student (likely graduating next December due to a long project)

As for the latter, I had plenty of laughs on my own about the "Gary-Stu" complaints. It doesn't bother me a 1/10th as much as it does some people here.

I'd actually be interested in reading this once you've given your presentation. If you're willing, please share this after the fact.

All that being said, all the concepts you mention are things perhaps brought up by SAO (or really any show with a focus on VR) but the show I felt did little to no service to those concepts not did it explore them with any depth (how could it, it was too busy dick riding Kirito among other things :p). If the concepts themselves inspired you to do more research related to your field and the work you were already doing than that is certainly cool and I'm happy if some net good can come out of the show (I'm being sincere here). However, at no point during the show did I feel Kawahara was able or interested in giving those concepts their due diligence.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
16. Then it gives the timeslot over to Prisma Illya Zwei Hertz for its 10 episodes.

Oh god not only it ruined Haruhi for me, it took 3 episodes slot from one of my favorite show :(

He didn't really.
Shirou actually has someone not only waiting for him but willing to join him once her main studies (the 3 years she talked about) are over. In fact itw was mentioned ufotable screwed up that last part from Nasu's script in that it was Shirou moving further than Archer did (he tweeted about it after the episode aired). That, and it word of god that Shirou does not end up being Archer.

Good to know, what do you mean by "Word of god"? As in god being Nasu?

kewlmyc

SAO 10

5onJiQX.jpg

I won't be making a post for every episode, but holy crap this episode. From flirting to murdering with his bare hand to sex to marriage in the course of one episode is pretty.... something. It's rare a harem MC actually picks a girl so yay for that at least.

I assume this is what the whole "flowed endlessly" meme came from.

SAO 10
This was chapter 16 in the novel. Kawahara wrote an excerpt called 16.5 detailing the exploits in the bedroom where that bit came from.

I'd actually be interested in reading this once you've given your presentation. If you're willing, please share this after the fact.

All that being said, all the concepts you mention are things perhaps brought up by SAO (or really any show with a focus on VR) but the show I felt did little to no service to those concepts not did it explore them with any depth (how could it, it was too busy dick riding Kirito among other things :p). If the concepts themselves inspired you to do more research related to your field and the work you were already doing than that is certainly cool and I'm happy if some net good can come out of the show (I'm being sincere here). However, at no point during the show did I feel Kawahara was able or interested in giving those concepts their due diligence.

I'm thinking of a good way to present that information in written form. There's a fair amount of base neuroscience I'm covering so people will understand what the NerveGear theoretically does, so I'm not sure how best to convey that without going into large, educational text pieces. I have a fair amount of visual pieces in my presentation (currently 42 slides) and can bring up pieces verbally, so that conveys it best IMO.

I'm not saying I won't do it, but I've got to think of the best way for you as a reader.

Thoraxes

I 100% thought that would be the case going into the first season, but it really wasn't!

Eh, there was plenty of it from both girls, shown in the same vague way everything else in the series is shown.

Flashbacks, fireworks, backstories, trips, festivals... It happened repeatedly, though true to the series, nothing actually ever happens!

The problem with SAO isn't the fanservice or weird rapey-ness. Its that Kirito is the King Gary Stu of all time and is the best at fucking everything. The most obnoxious wish-fulfillment fantasy protagonist fucking ever.

ridiculous. it's like you guys aren't even paying attention to the multiple shows with protagonists with the same attributes.

Oh god not only it ruined Haruhi for me, it took 3 episodes slot from one of my favorite show :(

Yes, its been stated by Nasu. The term 'word of god' usually refers to the author or creators in these instances.

Saudades

Sword Art Online 08-09

I remember this being the part when SAO turns from mildly bad to really damn bad.
And the next ep or two is when it turns to unbearably bad.

Yeah.

Nasu said:
A: I’ll just say now that he doesn’t become a Heroic Spirit in any of the routes, but the possibility is still present in all of them as well. Basically, the probability of it happening is almost zero.

Cornbread78

ridiculous. it's like you guys aren't even paying attention to the multiple shows with protagonists with the same attributes.

But, we're talking about SAO here...

My SAO theory holds true again tonight..lol

I didn't get to watch anything on break, but I did play SAO: HF on my Vita, so it was fun..

Crocodile

I'm thinking of a good way to present that information in written form. There's a fair amount of base neuroscience I'm covering so people will understand what the NerveGear theoretically does, so I'm not sure how best to convey that without going into large, educational text pieces. I have a fair amount of visual pieces in my presentation (currently 42 slides) and can bring up pieces verbally, so that conveys it best IMO.

I'm not saying I won't do it, but I've got to think of the best way for you as a reader.

Yeah I can understand that. I've given enough presentations where if I put down everything I wanted to say on my actual slides they would just be blocks of text :p. If there is basic literature you could point people to to help with the background info needed to get the most of the presentation that may take some pressure off your slides (for the sake of online readers that is).

You're assuming that A) people don't also throw shade at those others shows at well and B) they don't have redeeming qualities SAO lacks that may put them ahead. You're going to have to go into specifics for this post to have any point.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
SAO 10I won't be making a post for every episode, but holy crap this episode. From flirting to murdering with his bare hand to sex to marriage in the course of one episode is pretty.... something. It's rare a harem MC actually picks a girl so yay for that at least.

The original web novel had an entire chapter on the mechanics of virtual sex and what its like to be deep inside Aincrad's biggest idol. That last phrase was an actual phrase in this novel, fyi.

I'm pretty sure we give shit to any series with a Gary Stu like that

Tuck

Arslan Senki - 13
This was fantastic. So many things happened, and it looks like we have another major faction entering the party. And a new ship too, lucky Elam.

Fight at the end was pretty ballin, though there was an instance or two of characters waiting idly by as someone else took a turn at the villain even though they had a clear shot.

EDIT: Next week is a recap episode? God damn it.

Arcadius

Banned
Strike Witches 2

Episode 1 - 3

Yessssss, more ecchi, more extra detailed pantsu, more lore and story, this is exactly what I was hoping for! Fantastic OP and ED's, really great orchestrated music used as BGM. The same art style and colors and everything. Did I mention the amazing ecchi, 'cause it's flipping amazing!

We start off with a bang, almost as if there was no break between Strike Witches and Strike Witches 2.

We finally see the brooms that real witches use! It was really funny seeing Perrine get heated up by the broom. "It's...it's rubbing between my legs!!" ahahaha, too good, nice ecchi, perfect; especially when Anna-san presses the broom against... well you get the picture.

Lynne and Yoshika-chan are still fantastic and adorable together, truly a true pairing.

Going to bed now, feel pretty good about the amount of anime I watched today; Strike Witches is fantastic. Hand Maid Way was a lot of fun and I Couldn't Become a Hero was also a lot of fun. Great ecchi anime with great characters and just a lot of good fun, hehehe.

I'm pretty sure we give shit to any series with a Gary Stu like that

I'm pretty sure no other show get sh*t on in here like SAO is .. justifying this by " he's a gary stu" or equivalent make no sense to me.

BUt hey , please continue to bash SAO , it's a like a sport here.

"Other shows" get forgotten the next season.. yet for something like this none of you can forget about it... Sometimes it's borderline mockery on people who enjoyed it ...and that's just sad .

"How dare you enjoy this show that we disliked ?" << is how i see all those posts.

Zephyx

to me, by saying she wasn't nice and giving Hiki the chocolate, she was trying to force Yuki to do the same or else wanted her to back off and have Hiki to herself. Yui actually kind of pissed me off in this one. She should have just moved forward on her own without forcing her will upon Yuki. I'm glad Hiki stepped in at that point to stop the nonsense because he too wanted things to happen organically and not fake or forced because that wouldn't genuine. .

I'm not as pissed as you are but I do understand if people see it that way. However, I still don't get what her end goal is since if Yukino confesses, she will lose both Hikki and Yukino since it will be awkward to have her in their relationship. Also, this heavily relies on the assumption that Hikki does like Yukino which we are unsure of since there are also hints that he has some kind of feelings too for Yui too.

She wants it all as in
date hikki and keep their group together as well.

Yui was amazing this episode. Check out this link for an in depth explanation of the last scene https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/3baoz6/spoilers_oregairu_zoku_ending_discussion_about/

Thanks for the link.
From what I understood, I don't agree with some of the points as it makes it appears Yui is a selfish person with her decision. It is contradictory with the actions she did the whole episode as (1) I felt like she was trying to make Yukino admit her feelings before she does;(2) the way she stressed that she is just giving the cookies as gratitude; and (3) how she appeared and felt after Hikki stopped from Yukino giving an answer. I do think that what she wants is exactly as you stated but her actions are a bit confusing if I were to use that comment as a basis.

Einbroch

Banned
People shit on SAO because it's popular and bad.

If it was just bad no one would give a fuck. It's like ripping on One Direction or Grown Ups 2.

Funny you should say that! I'm presenting a panel at Otakon next month called "The Neuroscience of Sword Art Online." I was impressed with things that Kawahara never really thought about such as the lack of focus in peripheral vision (similar to how our eyes have to be constantly moving so we get light reflected into our corneas). While he brushes aside the impact of preventing signals being sent to peripheral nerves (basically causing them to rot), he has a good set-up designed.

<-Neuroscience doctoral student (likely graduating next December due to a long project)

As for the latter, I had plenty of laughs on my own about the "Gary-Stu" complaints. It doesn't bother me a 1/10th as much as it does some people here.

Yeah I would like to hear this too, I didn't know we had someone noteworthy enough to host a panel in this thread.

Man Spring season is officially over for me when the last episode of Kekkai Sensen airs on Saturday. Hopefully by then all this endless useless Yuri talk about Euphonium is over with when Summer finally comes.

Then we start talking about smut.&#55357;&#56844;

Again calling it useless yuri talk is a bit disingenuous, it got out of hand sure but it's rare we get actual heated discussions

I hope you'll forgive people for not keeping up with the latest LN dreck trends

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Much of this thread seems to like Danmachi.

But pointing out that Gary Stu protagonists are a dime a dozen doesn't really make SAO any better.

There's a big difference in tone between DanMachi and SAO though. I mean, Shokugeki has its own Gary Stew, but the series awesomeness makes up for it.

So what you're saying is that when S3 finally launches, it's gonna be lots of fun, huh?

I can guarantee that if they ever adapt the show up to "that" scene(and knowing what happens in S1 and S2, you can make a pretty decent educated guess), a new age of meltdowns will be upon us. :lol

So what you're saying is that when S3 finally launches, it's gonna be lots of fun, huh?
Probably because the same people talking smack will still watch it and talk more smack :p if not then all you are gonna get is those who watched it to talk about the episodes and those who hated the first and second season calling us out for having bad taste. Either way we lose

kewlmyc

SAO 12

I'm sorry, why do Kirito and Asuna think bringing a small child into a dungeon is a good idea? Just had to say this, back to the episode.

EDIT: Oh wow, okay, nevermind.

I hope you'll forgive people for not keeping up with the latest LN dreck trends
One of the problems is that you think LNs are alone in this. There are LNs with deep , engaging stories and none of that ... Congrats on putting everything in the same basket i guess.
No, it'll be down to the diehard fans vs the morbidl curious.
If only .
Probably because the same people talking smack will still watch it and talk more smack :p if not then all you are gonna get is those who watched it to talk about the episodes and those who hated the first and second season calling us out for having bad taste. Either way we lose
That's my main problem with this situation, you hated the way S1 went , yet you went back for S2 just to bash the show.. this attitude is really the lowest i can think off ..
If you managed to watch both seasons entirely and you still hate it , at this point , you are as faulty as you claim the show is.

Angry Grimace

Couldn't be a Hero 10

Raul's delicious wiener. Oh, and Raul suddenly noticed the demon girl is hot. Also, "Raul" is a weird name for an anime character.

One of the problems is that you think LNs are alone in this. There are LNs with deep , engaging stories and none of that ... Congrats on putting everything in the same basket i guess.

If only .

That's my main problem with this situation, you hated the way S1 went , yet you went back for S2 just to bash the show.. this attitude is really the lowest i can think off ..
If you managed to watch both seasons entirely and you still hate it , at this point , you are as faulty as you claim the show is.

S2 is better than the second half of Season 1 though and the Mother's Rosario arc was actually good.

Cornbread78

I can guarantee that if they ever adapt the show up to "that" scene(and knowing what happens in S1 and S2, you can make a pretty decent educated guess), a new age of meltdowns will be upon us. :lol

I'll leave my personal feelings about it off the board because, well, just because it's tiring, but I know what you mean and there is lots of fan art for it online. Here is a decent one. Everyone wants it to happen so..

Kirito-and-asuna-wedding.jpg

Is the source material for S3 available in English? Does it focus more on real world Kirito and
the seed?

ibyea

Banned

If only .

Nah not really. Hate watching can be its own kind of fun as I found out when I watched Psycho Pass 2, especially when sharing it with other people. Guilty pleasure and schaudenfreude harms no one.

Is the source material for S3 available in English? Does it focus more on real world Kirito and
the seed?

I'll answer truthfully:
Source material is not available for purchase yet , it is however floating on the internet because the fans have translated the books. It does focuses on the seed but with a twist.
Just so you know , every character after the end of S2 disapears from the books except :
Kirito, asuna, sinon, yui ( and again , kirito is the focus 99% of the time )
let's just say that some researchers wanted to create a new technology and they borrowed some application from the seed to make it ( a weapon ) and kirito get involved somehow.

Cornbread78

I'll answer truthfully:
Source material is not available for purchase yet , it is however floating on the internet because the fans have translated the books. It does focuses on the seed but with a twist.
Just so you know , every character after the end of S2 disapears from the books except :
Kirito, asuna, sinon, yui ( and again , kirito is the focus 99% of the time )
let's just say that some researchers wanted to create a new technology and they borrowed some application from the seed to make it ( a weapon ) and kirito get involved somehow.

I figured they would move in that direction as you could tell from the closing of S2. However, I thought it was more towards the
medical research angle it will be interesting if they move completely sway from ALO and the recreated A incredible then
still a long ways away then..

Spoil me. I'd love to know what that scene is

This is pretty far off and it's been a while since I read it, so the context is going to get muddled, but sure.

Imagine there's a Hogwarts Academy for swords. Kirito and his bro for this arc end up attending it for a while and make progress there, enough to have two comely sword squire girls assigned to them since they're upperclassmen now.

But some sleazebag noble guys doesn't like that country bumpkins(Kirito and his bro) have any sort of standing in the academy, so they kidnap and drug both of their squires for sexytime. This is being done through some loophole because this world has an internal(as in your body unconsciously must follow it) law against violence that nobles are conveniently exempt from, against those of lesser standing.

Kirito and his bud find out, walk in on the act, and murder them, violating the law. My memory is fuzzy on who does the murdering, but they're special in a way that allows them to break the law where most wouldn't be capable(of course). This does have major repercussions that lead into the next part of the arc and IIRC the whole thing was also implied to be a setup for one of them to act with killing intent.

I'm sure R_thanatos can clear up the parts that need to be cleared up, but I left the major context out in case the adaptation gets that far.

Quasar

That's pretty much my loathing of the whole hatewatch culture on the internet.

Puruzi

Banned
This is pretty far off and it's been a while since I read it, so the context is going to get muddled, but sure.

Imagine there's a Hogwarts Academy for swords. Kirito and his bro for this arc end up attending it for a while and make progress there, enough to have two comely sword squire girls assigned to them since they're upperclassmen now.

But some sleazebag noble guys doesn't like that country bumpkins(Kirito and his bro) have any sort of standing in the academy, so they kidnap and drug both of their squires for sexytime. This is being done through some loophole because this world has an internal(as in your body unconsciously must follow it) law against violence that nobles are conveniently exempt from, against those of lesser standing.

Kirito and his bud find out, walk in on the act, and murder them, violating the law. My memory is fuzzy on who does the murdering, but they're special in a way that allows them to break the law where most wouldn't be capable(of course). This does have major repercussions that lead into the next part of the arc and IIRC the whole thing was also implied to be a setup for one of them to act with killing intent.

I'm sure R_thanatos can clear up the parts that need to be cleared up, but I left the major context out in case the adaptation gets that far.

wtf again with the
rapey shit?
good lord

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom