• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT2| Euriphonium

Status
Not open for further replies.

PK Gaming

I'm okay with how things have turned out in Euphonium. It's still a very strong anime, and even if things didn't quite go the way I liked, I'm content.

No regrets

wMIu8KS.gif

Link Man

Banned
So, about 2/3 of the way through Witch Craft Works, and this is just a really fun show. Some amazing art at times, good action (CG flying excluded), and enjoyable characters.

Why hasn't anybody licensed this for disc release yet?

Anko

attracted to each other ≠ romantic attraction
That's a rather sore spot of mine...

惹かれ合う
魅かれあう
Yoru no nai kuni will have used every single word they can think of to describe attraction and it won't be romantic.

its probably a translation thing
The original is 引力, which is really literally "attraction".

ibyea

Banned
Euphonium 9
Sigh.. We're supposed to believe that
Kumiko has always liked him based only on that? That she was unhappy when Hazuki spoke to Shuichi? When the fuck was that. Everyone's interaction with him was minimal...

Regardless, that scene between Reina and Kumiko was cute. Oh Reina. Only you would know what your wife was thinking just by looking at her.
It is nice to see the effect that Reina had on Kumiko, after they spent the night together.
A fuller sound? Gotten a little more mature?
redstringoffate.jpg

Please enjoy some misleading pictures (don't forget your goggles):

And Asuka is a bigger ice queen than I expected. Or perhaps I should call her a robot...

The least they could do is make Shuichi more interesting or Kumiko and his interaction more interesting.

My reaction to Asuka going nuts: O_O I should have known she was unhinged like that. She is a bit too cheerful.

Anko

The least they could do is make Shuichi more interesting or Kumiko and his interaction more interesting.

My reaction to Asuka going nuts: O_O I should have known she was unhinged like that. She is a bit too cheerful.
Eupho 9 spoilers
Yup. I may be biased but I just don't
feel any chemistry between them. There's nothing there that would make me want to root for them. At all. All he has is his status as childhood friend. She has been a jerk to him all season and he has been ...he hasn't been anything. He could have easily passed as a mob character
, which he has been for the majority of the show.

PK Gaming

Thank god they followed up on the "she's a bad leader" thing

ibyea

Banned
Eupho 9 spoilers
feel any chemistry between them. There's nothing there that would make me want to root for them. At all. All he has is his status as childhood friend. She has been a jerk to him all season and he has been ...he hasn't been anything. He could have easily passed as a mob character

Yeah all she has been doing is passive agressively avoiding him...

jediyoshi

hazuki and asuka dropped all the points this week. I'll take more natsuki from now on

Theonik

Eupho 9 spoilers
If they end up actually going this way I am dropping Eupho from my recommendation lists no matter if the rest of it is 1m times better than Hyouka by the end.
FUCK THAT NOISE.

ibyea

Banned
Euriphonium 09

I should pay more attention to the little character interactions. They're actually really good! When Shuichi boarded the train he was eating something. When Hazuki departed she immediately bought the same thing. Whether to get to understand him better in some little way or just because she was hungry, this subtle little story was great.

Nice catch!

Anko

hazuki and asuka dropped all the points this week. I'll take more natsuki from now on

Helps that I like her character design too. I'm expecting them to show us
the aftermath of the auditions between her and Kumiko
. They have to or Kumiko's
flashbacks
would have been for naught.

I will admit that this was what baited me to the show. KyoAni. Masters of yuri baiting. How many times have they gotten me...

Theonik

Euriphonium 09

I should pay more attention to the little character interactions. They're actually really good! When Shuichi boarded the train he was eating something. When Hazuki departed she immediately bought the same thing. Whether to get to understand him better in some little way or just because she was hungry, this subtle little story was great.
She probably was just hungry.

ibyea

Banned

For me Hazuki got some points.
She actually dealt with the problems in a mature manner, is not acting like it's the end of the world, and talked things out with Midori. The opposite of Kumiko actually, whose avoidance can be a bit frustrating sometimes. Also who is Natsuki again?

Anko

For me Hazuki got some points.
She actually dealt with the problems in a mature manner, is not acting like it's the end of the world, and talked things out with Midori. The opposite of Kumiko actually, whose avoidance can be a bit frustrating sometimes. Also who is Natsuki again?

Eupho senpai. She drank water in the most attractive way possible in ep 9.

Anko

Oh! Yeah I like her character very much then. She has improved a lot.
It wasn't enough for the audition though. :(

I just hope
it doesn't result in her slipping back to her lazy ways. It's unlikely but if that happens, I would really consider dropping the show. Best end would be to get her fired up to do better for her third year

PK Gaming

Helps that I like her character design too. I'm expecting them to show us
the aftermath of the auditions between her and Kumiko
. They have to or Kumiko's
flashbacks
would have been for naught.

JH5Vpwc.png

I will admit that this was what baited me to the show. KyoAni. Masters of yuri baiting. How many times have they gotten me...

So would you say they're master baiters?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Look at the hallway.

That's some Turn A levels of direction.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Hibike Euphonium 9
Isn't that sad Natsuki?
Asuka senpai "don't give a single fuck" is brutally honest.
All that tears, and there's going to be another tension with Reina taking the solo part in next episode i guess?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The hallway is being scaled and translated upwards to simulate "movement", which is one of the things that irked me most about Turn A.

It's just amateurish tweening. I expect better from this show!

Overall this episode was kind of eh but the tension was good.

Reina showing these girls how it's fucking DONE get on her level.

Hibike Euphonium 9

You know I was expecting at some point that Asuka would have a freak out on other people in the band because of how dedicated she is towards her craft. In this case her tantrum didn't even appear serious at first and then I realized like the other characters said she is legitimately pissed off at them not taking practice seriously. I was expecting something a bit more dramatic honestly. Audition result were not a surprise at all however.

Theonik

Hibike Euphonium 09

The audition part made me legit feel stressed and uncomfortable. Props if only for that.
If they go the childhood friend route by the end though I will drop KyoAni retro-actively.

AfroLuffy

[Tomorrow's Joe]: 1-79 and [Tomorrow's Joe II]: 1-47

What a show. Without a doubt, one of the greatest anime of all time.

I'd like to say more but it's going to take me a while to put my thoughts together on a series that's longer than Legend of the Galactic Heroes. There's so much material and so many possible areas to discuss that it feels something akin to climbing a mountain. I really don't know where to begin.

But, begin I must. In the meantime, I suggest that everyone watches this fantastic series.

A word of warning, however. There are two Tomorrow's Joe shows and the second season is not a direct continuation of the first. Instead, it is partly a remake of the original. Therefore the optimal viewing experience is to watch Tomorrow's Joe up till episode 51 and then once you're done there swap over to Tomorrow's Joe II. Tomorrow's Joe II covers the same material that the original show does during episodes 52-79, but it does the same material far better.

Yep, it's an amazing show.

I can't agree with your recommended viewing order, though!

Best to watch all of season 1, ignore the amazingly out of character ending in the final episode, then start on season 2.

I think S1 handles the events gone over again in season 2 much better (S2 cuts the fat, but you lose too much of the good stuff with it)
The post Rikishi-fight wanderings, the traveling boxing group, and the Carlos rivalry/setup are much more fleshed out in S1 with Joe getting a lot of characterization and attention that S2 doesn't really have the time for. Also, S1 Carlos match >>>>> S2 Carlos match.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom