• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT2| Euriphonium

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure but it is something that has always struck out as odd even when I first started watching. Maybe because this in itself is defying convention because I am used to the childhood friend, male or female, being treated like the childhood friend and I can't think of when that was the actual case here. The more I think about it the more curious I am to see if there is something to this hypothesis.
I think it's just a case of the classic "we have been best friends for ages and I only noticed that I like him now that someone is telling me about it".

cajunator

Banned
Red Alert for Trigger-stans:

Little Witch Academia: Eternal Parade release date is October 2 in Japanese theaters.

Earlier release date for backers is during Anime Expo, which runs July 2-5. There's also a new full trailer up.

We in the promised land.

Finally. Its been ages.

e_i

Red Alert for Trigger-stans:

Little Witch Academia: Eternal Parade release date is October 2 in Japanese theaters.

Earlier release date for backers is during Anime Expo, which runs July 2-5. There's also a new full trailer up.

We in the promised land.

And there's a trailer.

Here is the thing, he still isn't even remotely a main character or even remotely interesting and you want to know why I bring up character status because if Reina was a guy, we would not be having this debate at all. Indeed, let us cut to the heart of the matter, why is Shinichi going to "win", why is the teacher going to "win" when these subplots have been barely touched upon or the writing is nowhere near getting them close? Why shouldn't Kumiko and Reina get together conversely, they clearly work well together, they have excellent chemistry and help support and nurture each other to get better and playing instruments. It is a problem because Kumiko and Reina have shown to be the best couple but are most likely going to lose out because Kyoto Animation has to eventually revert to the hetero-normative ideal.If that is the fact then I will call it out because I find it inexcusable behavior in this year of 2015. Also, all of this romantic shit isn't happening in a vacuum; indeed the reason I loved Asuka going off on these romantic entanglements is because the romance is adversely affecting the band. Likewise, the roamnce and shipping and yuri have so overwhelmed the debates around this show that I really wish Koyto had not bothered in the first place but they did and here we are.

Well this all still seems entirely arbitrary to me. If I were to look at the show and felt like there was only one possible, acceptable outcome after roughly half the episodes, I'd probably feel like I was watching some predictable shit with stereotypical characters.

I also don't see how Kumiko and Reina have to end up in a romantic relationship, it's a possible path but I'm not getting upset if it doesn't happen and fling around terms like "hetero-normative ideal". What I want is proper characterization and plot, not some agenda pushing.

Again, the yuri baiting is dumb and I've criticized it before, primarily because a bunch of the scenes between Kumiko and Reina felt off to me and, hell, I don't even consider Reina to be among the better written characters partially because of it. She seems too poorly defined and acts too randomly. But I'll never argue like the show now 'owes' it to the audience to go one certain direction.

Clov

AnimEigo's next kickstarter project will be a Blu-Ray of Riding Bean. It's in the e-mail those of you who backed Otaku no Video got.

duckroll

For those who haven't seen the LWA2 update, here's the important part:

To further explain, allow me to announce the 2nd update of the day!

Studio TRIGGER will be returning to Anime Expo this year to hold premiere event for Little Witch Academia The Enchanted Parade! For specific details please check the Anime Expo official website, http://www.anime-expo.org/ as they should be updating their website quite frequently!

We are also aware that not everyone will be able to attend the premiere event. Therefore, we have decided to provide the digital contents as the premiere starts so all of our backers will be able to enjoy the episode at the same time!

What about the other rewards? When will they arrive?

Since we will be finishing our film in order to make the premiere at AX, we are expecting to have the physical copies of the rewards available at your door step sometime around August of this year. To follow up, I’ve prepared sample images for some of our rewards!

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Well this all still seems entirely arbitrary to me. If I were to look at the show and felt like there was only one possible, acceptable outcome after roughly half the episodes, I'd probably feel like I was watching some predictable shit with stereotypical characters.

I also don't see how Kumiko and Reina have to end up in a romantic relationship, it's a possible path but I'm not getting upset if it doesn't happen and fling around terms like "hetero-normative ideal". What I want is proper characterization and plot, not some agenda pushing.

Again, the yuri baiting is dumb and I've criticized it before, primarily because a bunch of the scenes between Kumiko and Reina felt off to me and, hell, I don't even consider Reina to be among the better written characters partially because of it. She seems too poorly defined and acts too randomly. But I'll never argue like the show now 'owes' it to the audience to go one certain direction.

If it is arbitration then it is of their own design because episode 8 was clear romantic direction for the two and to say otherwise is lacking in evidence. I'll boil this down, why does everybody think Shinchi and Kumiko are going to get together? The answer seems to be overwhelmingly because he is a guy and she is a girl and I have a real problem with that. They are becoming a couple not because that is the narrative direction they sought or they make for an interesting and delightful couple but because those are the normal gender role and that makes for the "proper" choice. If they go that route I am going to have a problem with it but it has been said the full story has not been written yet so maybe this is all much ado about nothing.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
People keep poking me about the yuri in Euphonium, but is it actually genuine? Or is it more in the whole Love Live realm of girls who theoretically want to be with each other but don't actually do it because that's just how anime works.

I understand being wary of heteronormative assumptions about potential couples in a show, but this is also anime we're talking about.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
People keep poking me about the yuri in Euphonium, but is it actually genuine? Or is it more in the whole Love Live realm of girls who theoretically want to be with each other but don't actually do it because that's just how anime works.

I understand being wary of heteronormative assumptions about potential couples in a show, but this is also anime we're talking about.

Nobody quite knows and this is what all of the debating is about. Also, I refuse to give anime a pass on that "becuase that is how anime works" when yuri has a good 20-40 year tradition in the medium.

Clov

For those who haven't seen the LWA2 update, here's the important part:

It's great to hear that not only will I be able to watch this soon, but that my Blu-Ray of it will also be arriving faster than I expected! I'm really looking forward to this.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Nobody quite knows and this is what all of the debating is about.
I feel like if this was "real" yuri, the yuri community would have picked up on it based on the novels and started hyping the show long before it aired.

Also, I refuse to give anime a pass on that "becuase that is how anime works" when yuri has a good 20-40 year tradition in the medium.
I mean, we can have all the talks about something like MariMite, which moves from subtext to text at times, but in the end, there is only one explicitly gay character on the show. And even then, she doesn't actually ever end up with a woman.

Of course, then you get into the whole idea of the "Class S" genre of Japanese fiction which just muddles everything.

I feel like if this was "real" yuri, the yuri community would have picked up on it based on the novels and started hyping the show long before it aired.

Despite the announcement of an anime adaptation, there were hardly any people who read the novels. Most people who spoke about content referred to the manga adaptation published online by Takajimasha. I wouldn't take novel readership into account as there's very few who'll read novels in Japanese and share now.

Acosta

Yuriphonium 9

Sad episode. Loved the new trolling, but if they keep at it people are going to get heartbroken when it doesn't happen.

Asuka in bot mode was hilarious, it kinda reminded me (well, I would't express it but my mind would be something like that).

Cornbread78

The childhood friend thing is real folks. It happens all the time and there is always some confusion to it in real life. It just kind of happens like a light switch when people finally mature and understand their own feelings more...

I would use Little Busters as an example or something happening organically, but honestly, that's how it happens in real life as well. Although, there may be more drama involved in real life situations at times as sometimes it takes jelousy to start poping up before those feeling pop up.

Acosta

The childhood friend thing is real folks. It happens all the time and there is always some confusion to it in real life. It just kind of happens like a light switch when peope finally mature and understand their own feelings more...

Ok, no. One thing is accepting that Kumiko x Reina is a platonic thing. But if this someway develops someway in a Kumiko x Mope Boy, I riot :(

I'll be happy with the band thing developing and the occasional yuri trolling until the end, I frankly don't need this developing into a romance (at least is a romance with music, or with tiny cactus, I can accept that).

The childhood friend thing is real folks. It happens all the time and there is always some confusion to it in real life. It just kind of happens like a light switch when peope finally mature and understand their own feelings more...

I would use Little Busters as an example or something happening organically, but honestly, that's how it happens in real life as well. Although, there may be more drama involved in real life situations at times as sometimes it takes jelousy to start poping up before those feeling pop up.

That's what I am saying, I think it's as simple as that. The whole awkwardness between the both of them now is proof of it too, if she really didn't have any second thoughts about liking him she would just keep talking to him as if nothing had happened.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Cornbread, I'm sorry to tell you this but I don't think you're a real person.

The question then becomes: why is an anime character posting in the real world?

Cornbread78

Ok, no. One thing is accepting that Kumiko x Reina is a platonic thing. But if this someway develops someway in a Kumiko x Mope Boy, I riot :(

I'll be happy with the band thing developing and the occasional yuri trolling until the end, I frankly don't need this developing into a romance (at least is a romance with music, or with tiny cactus, I can accept that).

I can't comment on the show directly, but, it is a real life phenom ya know. We've all been there. Sometimes it's years later, but there is a certain comfortability with someone you grew up with an knows you better than anyone else. There was a reason you were good friends growing up, you just didn't connect it yet. Mopey boy may be a dope, but, he's got a shot.

Remember though, this is anime. Childhood friends NEVER win. My reference previously was the only expection and that one doesn't count..

firehawk12

Subete no aware
People are hoping for real, most are expecting fake.
Yeah, I figured.

Despite the announcement of an anime adaptation, there were hardly any people who read the novels. Most people who spoke about content referred to the manga adaptation published online by Takajimasha. I wouldn't take novel readership into account as there's very few who'll read novels in Japanese and share now.
Well, even know, there must be some spoiler fiends who have read the book and are talking about it on 4chan or the more nerdier places on the internet that I don't frequent...

This happened in Tamako Market as well, basically. I don't think KyoAni is really interested in doing anything that transgressive.

Cornbread78

Cornbread, I'm sorry to tell you this but I don't think you're a real person.

The question then becomes: why is an anime character posting in the real world?

giphy.gif

Acosta

I can't comment on the show directly, but, it is a real life phenom ya know. We've all been there. Sometimes it's years later, but there is a certain comfortability with someone you grew up with an knows you better than anyone else. There was a reason you were good friends growing up, you just didn't connect it yet. Mopey boy may be a dope, but, he's got a shot.

Remember though, this is anime. Childhood friends NEVER win. My reference previously was the only expection and that one doesn't count..

Yes, absolutely, it´s a real thing. I was just talking tongue in check about the show ;)

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
That's what I am saying, I think it's as simple as that. The whole awkwardness between the both of them now is proof of it too, if she really didn't have any second thoughts about liking him she would just keep talking to him as if nothing had happened.

Power of suggestion. Hazuki planted the idea in her head, and only after that is there awkwardness. If Hazuki hadn't insisted that to be the case Kumiko wouldn't be feeling awkward now imo.

It's not real or fake yuri. The show depicts a complex and unique friendship between two girls, and some people who are used to thinking in binaries have reduced it down to being either yuri or yuri bait, when it's nothing of the sort.

It's not real or fake yuri. The show depicts a complex and unique friendship between two girls, and some people who are used to thinking in binaries have reduced it down to being either yuri or yuri bait, when it's nothing of the sort.
And I don't blame those people because anime over the years has used the same exact atmosphere in actual yuri.

A sort of if it looks like a duck and acts like a duck situation.

It's kinda like the Nozomi parfait scene. It doesn't really confirm anything but it's a solid foundation for peoples imagination to run wild.

Well yes, although certain scenes were and still are directed in a 'yuri baiting' fashion if I may call it so, and for the worse of it. A lot of the encounters between Kumiko and Reina could've felt way less romantic if it weren't for that. I mean just look at last episode, why the weird camera framing onto the legs?

Acosta

Yes, it's a complex and unique and a beautiful friendship but it is also yuri bait, there is a purpose in the way they are portraying it.

I feel it´s unfair saying that is "people thinking in binaries". Even someone as inexperienced in anime as me is seeing it. They are toying with it.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
And I don't blame those people because anime over the years has used the same exact atmosphere in actual yuri.

A sort of if it walks like a duck and acts like a duck situation.

Quite, also gay and lesbian relationships have tended to be written in coded and vague terminology for the purposes of plausible tenability or deniability.

Theonik

I feel it´s unfair saying that is "people thinking in binaries". Even someone as inexperienced in anime as me is seeing it. They are toying with it.
The only thing they are toying with is my fragile otome hāto. I will not forgive them for this.

ibyea

Banned

While I have turned around to come to agree with you regarding this, I think there is no denying they are doing some sort of "baiting". And it is unfortunate KyoAni is doing this because it is distracting the discussion from their actual friendship.

Cornbread78

This debate is entertaining to say the least. Lesbian? not Lesbian? bisexual? experimentation? Confused? Girls just wanna have fun ya'll.

752711092_1791949.gif

e_i

Testament of a New Sister Devil episode 3 Uncensored

Onii-chan will wash you naughty imoutos with CAKE.

javac

Just had a little nap (more like fell asleep with the laptop on top of me like an idiot, can't believe it never falls off!), and I see that there's a bit of Kickstarter news. It's funny because I don't even care about LWA2 anymore, one of the problems with a product that takes 2 years to get to your doorstep I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom