• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT2| Euriphonium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

Hibike Euphonium is going to be a fun watch at the end of the season, huh?

I try to avoid reading the comments on it here so there are no spoilers for me, but I had to check and I see they decided to completely sidestep the relationship brought up and laid out in that gif last week.

Shuichi and Kumiko have a great chemistry, y'all need to get over yourselves!

Well, childhood friends never work out..

MSMrRound

Hibike Euphonium is going to be a fun watch at the end of the season, huh?
Just start watching it now. It's worth it.

school-rumble-thumbs-up-o.gif

Cornbread78

Kumiko has great chemistry with everyone. I love how her attitude changes depending on the person shes talking to.

Just start watching it now. It's worth it.

I don't know, I appreciate shows more that I can watch at my pace or in one sitting rather than having to wait week by week. All this waiting for Plastic Memories, Danmachi, SNAFU TOO, Etotama, Fruit of Grisaia and Yamada-kun is killing me.

I don't know, I appreciate shows more that I can watch at my pace or in one sitting rather than having to wait week by week. All this waiting for Plastic Memories, Danmachi, SNAFU TOO, Etotama, Fruit of Grisaia and Yamada-kun is killing me.

The trick is to follow so many shows week by week that you'll have something new to watch every day.

Mendrox

The trick is to follow so many shows week by week that you'll have something new to watch every day.

This! But this season is a bit harder and my "anime" schedule starts on tuesday.

Monday Game of Thrones
Tuesday Eupho
Wednesday Triage X
Thursday Punchline (Manga Thursday: Naruto, One Piece, LOL Bleach, AssClass & more)
Friday Shokugeki no Soma, Assassination Classroom, DanMachi, Nisekoi S2
Saturday Kekkai Sensen
Sunday Everything that I couldn't watch (always Seraph of the End)

Surely forgot something, but that works for me.

I find that I enjoy shows more on my own as well. My general mindset regarding watching shows is to remember that some works are constructed as parts of a whole (like Euphonium) and some are episodic (like Space Dandy and Nichijou). While you can split the parts of a whole into episodes, they're still meant to be put together, so watching it all in one/two sessions tends to be more enjoyable than waiting a week.

Additionally, I find that I have to mentally block everyone else out when I'm watching a show, especially the KyoAni productions. I've invested a lot of time/effort into various projects around the studio, so I tend to care more about what people think on their productions than is truly healthy for me. It's an ongoing process from which I faltered a lot on due to trying to get people to watch Euphonium and the post-episode 8 discussions.

Related, I re-started Amagi Brilliant Park last night and found I enjoyed it more when there wasn't a ton of ass being shown by the Western/Japanese fandoms. It's a decent show injected with Gatou being Gatou for Gatou's sake. Tamako is still the better constructed show IMO.

cajunator

Banned

Try to imagine how it used to be, where shows would air and then ADV or Funimation wouldnt get them here for 6 months to 2 years. Then each volume would be released aa month or two apart, and spread out over 3-7 volumes and sometimes even 8. Did I also mention that there was no streaming either?

Cornbread78

I would love to see the posts from Clannad After Story that were done on a week by week basis because it must have caused pure insanity in some

Try to imagine how it used to be, where shows would air and then ADV or Funimation wouldnt get them here for 6 months to 2 years. Then each volume would be released aa month or two apart, and spread out over 3-7 volumes and sometimes even 8. Did I also mention that there was no streaming either?

I can't even imagine that world. ..

Quasar

Expelled From Paradise

Hey look, new anime movies on Netflix.

And looky here, an Urobuchi story thats not all death and darkness.

Quite similar to Gargantia in many of its themes.

Enjoyed it overall, though I would have liked it to have been a bit more adventurous. Watched the dub even, which was not completely awful.

sonicmj1

The original is 引力, which is really literally "attraction".

Really literally as in, it's the same word used for gravity. It might be more accurate to say that they're "drawn to each other".

It seems somewhat neutral about romantic attraction, but it certainly doesn't rule it out.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Euphonium 9
Sigh.. We're supposed to believe that
Kumiko has always liked him based only on that? That she was unhappy when Hazuki spoke to Shuichi? When the fuck was that. Everyone's interaction with him was minimal...

Regardless, that scene between Reina and Kumiko was cute. Oh Reina. Only you would know what your wife was thinking just by looking at her.
It is nice to see the effect that Reina had on Kumiko, after they spent the night together.
A fuller sound? Gotten a little more mature?
redstringoffate.jpg

Please enjoy some misleading pictures (don't forget your goggles):

And Asuka is a bigger ice queen than I expected. Or perhaps I should call her a robot...

This is one of the biggest problems I have with the plank of wood, they want to push him suddenly as the romantic lead when previous to this he has been a minor supporting character just lacks in credibility. This one reason why I call him a plank of wood as he comes across as less of a character an more of a plot device for the girls in various regards. It is also the reason why the supposed yuri baiting is so disgusting this time around.

ARC-V seem more liked than Zexal, maybe I'll catch up with that one too..

Zexal was fucking insufferable garbage, and the only reason I ever finished it (after quitting many times) was because I was really, really bored. Arc-V is actually really good, and probably my favorite yugioh series after 5Ds right now

fertygo

Zexal was fucking insufferable garbage, and the only reason I ever finished it (after quitting many times) was because I was really, really bored. Arc-V is actually really good, and probably my favorite yugioh series after 5Ds right now

Sounds good, thanks!

Just looking to Zexal protag design also already made me mad lol

cajunator

Banned

a rare moment of KyoAni showing weakness.

I would love to see the posts from Clannad After Story that were done on a week by week basis because it must have caused pure insanity in some

I can't even imagine that world. ..

Yeah it was a rough time but we made do :(

I should really get to watching this.

If only they drew Yuki to smile with those blue eyes contrasting with the dark hair...

Yeah, the smile would do it..

Btw, Cajun was right about the BD cost for that show..

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00M3TK8D0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Its pretty affordable. Good if you just want to see the show cheaply without any extra stuff driving up the cost.

This is one of the biggest problems I have with the plank of wood, they want to push him suddenly as the romantic lead when previous to this he has been a minor supporting character just lacks in credibility. This one reason why I call him a plank of wood as he comes across as less of a character an more of a plot device for the girls in various regards. It is also the reason why the supposed yuri baiting is so disgusting this time around.

Yeh fuck that, only the initial main characters should ever get together because that isn't one hella stupid arbitrary line to draw.

I find it funny that you are among the ones complaining how those of us who enjoy the show supposedly have already forgotten about anything in regards to the music and competition, yet here you're crying foul about yuri-baiting as if that's an actual, major problem of the show, which by all means it really, really isn't. I think it's dumb too, but if this is the crap that ruins a show whose qualities were hardly the existence of a single yuri relationship, then what the hell.

Defuser

Hibike! Euphonium! ep 9

Don't worry guyz, KyoAni will do a Kumiko Love Story movie, male childhood friends mostly gets a autowin.

Reina : "I've won motherfuckers!!"

Shuichi and Kumiko is the only pair up that's going to happen.

Kousaka will be playing the solo parts.
Or she's already thirsty for Taki-sensei, there was a scene about this in the latest episode but everyone seems to forget.

Edit: Maybe shes only interested in Taki because he will help her improve, that seems more in line with her character.

Shuichi and Kumiko is the only pair up that's going to happen.

Kousaka will be playing the solo parts.
Or she's already thirsty for Taki-sensei, there was a scene about this in the latest episode but everyone seems to forget.

Edit: Maybe shes only interested in Taki because he will help her improve, that seems more in line with her character.

Are you saying she blew more than just her own trumpet during the audition?

m2UW7fp.png

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Yeh fuck that, only the initial main characters should ever get together because that isn't one hella stupid arbitrary line to draw.

I find it funny that you are among the ones complaining how those of us who enjoy the show supposedly have already forgotten about anything in regards to the music and competition, yet here you're crying foul about yuri-baiting as if that's an actual, major problem of the show, which by all means it really, really isn't. I think it's dumb too, but if this is the crap that ruins a show whose qualities were hardly the existence of a single yuri relationship, then what the hell.

Here is the thing, he still isn't even remotely a main character or even remotely interesting and you want to know why I bring up character status because if Reina was a guy, we would not be having this debate at all. Indeed, let us cut to the heart of the matter, why is Shinichi going to "win", why is the teacher going to "win" when these subplots have been barely touched upon or the writing is nowhere near getting them close? Why shouldn't Kumiko and Reina get together conversely, they clearly work well together, they have excellent chemistry and help support and nurture each other to get better and playing instruments. It is a problem because Kumiko and Reina have shown to be the best couple but are most likely going to lose out because Kyoto Animation has to eventually revert to the hetero-normative ideal.If that is the fact then I will call it out because I find it inexcusable behavior in this year of 2015. Also, all of this romantic shit isn't happening in a vacuum; indeed the reason I loved Asuka going off on these romantic entanglements is because the romance is adversely affecting the band. Likewise, the roamnce and shipping and yuri have so overwhelmed the debates around this show that I really wish Koyto had not bothered in the first place but they did and here we are.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I doubt anyone really is. KyoAni just threw everyone a bone.

I can tell you people picked up this show because they heard about the yuri element though honestly I am thinking of dropping this show just because I am so exhausted about talking about this.

Here is the thing, he still isn't even remotely a main character or even remotely interesting and you want to know why I bring up character status because if Reina was a guy, we would not be having this debate at all. Indeed, let us cut to the heart of the matter, why is Shinichi going to "win", why is the teacher going to "win" when these subplots have been barely touched upon or the writing is nowhere near getting them close? Why shouldn't Kumiko and Reina get together conversely, they clearly work well together, they have excellent chemistry and help support and nurture each other to get better and playing instruments. It is a problem because Kumiko and Reina have shown to be the best couple but are most likely going to lose out because Kyoto Animation has to eventually revert to the hetero-normative ideal.If that is the fact then I will call it out because I find it inexcusable behavior in this year of 2015. Also, all of this romantic shit isn't happening in a vacuum; indeed the reason I loved Asuka going off on these romantic entanglements is because the romance is adversely affecting the band. Likewise, the roamnce and shipping and yuri have so overwhelmed the debates around this show that I really wish Koyto had not bothered in the first place but they did and here we are.
Because not everything needs to be shown to us in order for it to be part of the show. We are picking up the story of the lives of 15-18 year olds. We did not see anything from behind, we know that they grew together and whenever we see them talk they seem to be very close with each other. Is there anything else that we need to know? Some people forget that this is a 13 episode show, we don't have the time to go into their pasts and see everything Shuichi did that made Kumiko's heart flutter or not. I'm not even sure if this is expanded on the books or not. I just don't understand why people are being so close minded to events that weren't shown to us. The story revolves around the events going on in the present from the point of view of characters that had experiences in the past already that we don't really know about due to what I would say are time constraints and cast size.

I doubt anyone really is. KyoAni just threw everyone a bone.

I bet there's a few people. Doesn't take much to get them going.

And unfortunately, there are times where great chemistry is undone because writers never studied science before, so again, blue balls await.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Because not everything needs to be shown to us in order for it to be part of the show. We are picking up the story of the lives of 15-18 year olds. We did not see anything from behind, we know that they grew together and whenever we see them talk they seem to be very close with each other. Is there anything else that we need to know? Some people forget that this is a 13 episode show, we don't have the time to go into their pasts and see everything Shuichi did that made Kumiko's heart flutter or not. I'm not even sure if this is expanded on the books or not. I just don't understand why people are being so close minded to events that weren't shown to us.

See I have been paying attention and here is the thing and I will credit the writers for being subtle about it, Kumiko is not only not attracted to the guy she is pissed at him, or disgusted, or something negative. She doesn't treat the guy well even before this ball got rolling; she tolerates his presence at best.

Jarmel

Banned
Red Alert for Trigger-stans:

Little Witch Academia: Eternal Parade release date is October 2 in Japanese theaters.

Earlier release date for backers is during Anime Expo, which runs July 2-5. There's also a new full trailer up.

We in the promised land.

duckroll

Red Alert:

Little Witch Academia: Eternal Parade release date is October 2 in Japanese theaters.

Earlier release date for backers is during Anime Expo.

We in the promised land.

Yeah I just got the email too. Looks like they'll be holding a premier event at Anime Expo, and releasing the digital version to all backers at the same time.

Also, the Under the Dog peeps released a really half assed "storyboard preview" on the backer forum. I feel like we're being taken for a ride. Lol.

See I have been paying attention and here is the thing and I will credit the writers for being subtle about it, Kumiko is not only not attracted to the guy she is pissed at him, or disgusted, or something negative. She doesn't treat the guy well even before this ball got rolling; she tolerates his presence at best.

When did you become bizarro DTL?

Jarmel

Banned
Yeah I just got the email too. Looks like they'll be holding a premier event at Anime Expo, and releasing the digital version to all backers at the same time.

Also, the Under the Dog peeps released a really half assed "storyboard preview" on the backer forum. I feel like we're being taken for a ride. Lol.

fuck me

I wasn't really planning on going to AX this year. I was kinda relieved that I wouldn't have to dump 1k into flights and hotels.

lol

Red Alert for Trigger-stans:

Earlier release date for backers is during Anime Expo, which runs July 2-5. There's also a new full trailer up.

We in the promised land.

Let's see if Trigger is able to save anime this time around, Triggers last attempt was pretty weak.

She doesn't treat the guy well even before this ball got rolling; she tolerates his presence at best.

They are childhood friends, the ball has already been rolling a long time. And it's not that she dislikes him, they just don't need a lot of words because they already know each other so well.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
When did you become bizarro DTL?

Not sure but it is something that has always struck out as odd even when I first started watching. Maybe because this in itself is defying convention because I am used to the childhood friend, male or female, being treated like the childhood friend and I can't think of when that was the actual case here. The more I think about it the more curious I am to see if there is something to this hypothesis.

hamchan

Time to watch those Madoka movies on Netflix. Seeing as how I barely remember what happens in the series I guess those recap movies serve a good purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom