• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who is putting out Gundam over here? Right Stuf?

We need to email them on mass, and tell them to put everything on the back burner, EVERYTHING, but G-Gundam.

The other Gundam series don't even matter.

Just put out G-Gundam.

Thoraxes

Holy shit.
Is the blu ray coming to the west? I mean shit, what better way to watch this shit that has been on my backlog than with a blu ray

If there's a high-quality master of it, Rightstuf will have access to it when they release it over here. They reportedly have unlimited access to that stuff. Due to the recency of this G Gundam release, don't expect it for at least 2 years at the earliest.

We need to email them on mass, and tell them to put everything on the back burner, EVERYTHING, but G-Gundam.

Just put out G-Gundam.
They seem to just be going sequentially.

Later last year they announced plans for G-Reco and GBF for 2016 too, but no words on that yet either. At the very least you can expect 2 more bluray series releases this year (Sept. - Oct.), with the latter one probably being a Dec. - Jan. release.

Narag

Just put out G-Gundam.

I'm sure they would if i they could manage to sell it for $250sh per box.

Clov

Is the blu ray coming to the west? I mean shit, what better way to watch this shit that has been on my backlog than with a blu ray

The domestic Gundam BDs seem to be doing well for Sunrise and RightStuf, so I can imagine it will make its way over here eventually. It could be a while though; like Narag points out, reverse importation is always a concern. We'll likely get a few other series on BD before G.

Just put out G-Gundam.

It's an interesting situation; it's essentially all RightStuf except the name. RightStuf authors the discs does the actual release, but Sunrise calls all the shots. Whether something gets released here or not, and what form it will be released in is entirely up to Sunrise.

JulianImp

The story of Ace Attorney games is usually fine, but what really makes them stand out is the colorful cast of characters with all the personality they convey. Just think of how memorable many of the sprite animations are. That won't come across in a minimal-effort, no-energy adaptation.

Yeah, but the story itself isn't all that amazing overall, and ill fit for a copy-paste anime adaptation. Most cases are more about the howdunnit than anything else, since the culprit tends to be fairly obvious with the whole point being that Phoenix has to pull through the prosecution and the witnesses' contradictions to bring the true culprit to justice.

The anime, on the other hand, doesn't give the audience a handy way to review testimonies/evidence mid-trial, which means it's that much harder for them to actually connect the dots before the characters spell things out for Phoenix, and that in turn makes the trials seem really arbitrary and full of deus ex machinas (which they are, only the games are fun because you're struggling alongside Phoenix in his way to find the truth behind each case).

Narag

The domestic Gundam BDs seem to be doing well for Sunrise and RightStuf, so I can imagine it will make its way over here eventually. It could be a while though; like Narag points out, reverse importation is always a concern. We'll likely get a few other series on BD before G.

Thoraxes was telling me earlier that G.Reco, Wing, and GBF/Try should be coming up this year.

Clov

Thoraxes was telling me earlier that G.Reco, Wing, and GBF/Try should be coming up this year.

Yeah, I believe those are slated for this year. However, Gundam Evolve on DVD, two ZZ BD sets, and two Gundam X DVD sets are on the way first.

On a related note, Bandai Visual is releasing Gundam Thunderbolt's BD with English subtitles, sort of like what they did with Unicorn and The Origin. Plenty of Gundam releases this year!

Thoraxes

Yeah, I believe those are slated for this year. However, Gundam Evolve on DVD, two ZZ BD sets, and two Gundam X DVD sets are on the way first.

On a related note, Bandai Visual is releasing Gundam Thunderbolt's BD with English subtitles, sort of like what they did with Unicorn and The Origin. Plenty of Gundam releases this year!
I was kinda glad to see them do an import release of that. Means I can get it faster!

Narag

They need to gimme Turn A or else.

I was kinda glad to see them do an import release of that. Means I can get it faster!

Kinda wish G had a low import run for those that want it now.

Decided to look at the R2s for G-Gundam to get an idea about how much better the blu-rays will be. Unfortunately I couldn't find a direct source download for the G-Gundam blu-ray trailer so I had to take caps from the youtube version.

R2 | Blu-ray

holy shit
Something about the new master seems "off" and I want to say it must be DNR or some other filtering. Not well versed enough in these things. Trying to keep in mind Youtube compression. Maybe it's an aspect of the color reproduction? Last shot gives me the feeling it used digital compositing which would be uncommon for a production around that time, no?

Thoraxes

I'd dish out the $300 or so they're asking with the JP prices for a G Gundam BD box easily. Same with Turn A.

It's also why I wish Sunrise did the same thing with Outlaw Star too. Sadly that series is in less competent hands.

Hamst3r

Sakamoto 2 - This continues to be my kind of humor. This is the kind of dumb I'm into. Sakamoto so nonchalantly up a tree. The smile to go request. His fox yip.

Ace Attorney 4 - It's like I'm playing the game in Super Guide mode, which is fine by me. It's fun to just see everything again without having to play the game, which I really didn't find all that fun to play.

Casshern Sins 2-4 - I saw the 2004 Casshern movie back in the day and was pretty into it. Watching Sins I'm also enjoying it a lot too, the overall tone and aesthetic is fantastic. The pointy angles, the hard shadows, and the fuzz around the edges of the lines look great. I was also in the mood for something darker and more miserable, and this seems to be just that.

Clov

Yeah, it's always nice when companies include English subs on their Japanese releases. There's a few import discs I still need to pick up, actually...

If Turn A did well on DVD here, then I can imagine it will get a BD release here eventually.

Bandai Visual seems more concerned with more recent Gundam anime to include English subs on; in particular the OVA (or ONA in Thunderbolt's case) releases.

Narag

I'd dish out the $300 or so they're asking with the JP prices for a G Gundam BD box easily. Same with Turn A.

It's also why I wish Sunrise did the same thing with Outlaw Star too. Sadly that series is in less competent hands.

I could swear Outlaw Star still had Funi waiting on materials for it.

If Turn A did well on DVD here, then I can imagine it will get a BD release here eventually.

Bandai Visual seems more concerned with more recent Gundam anime to include English subs on; in particular the OVA (or ONA in Thunderbolt's case) releases.

I'm still of the opinion the only reason it had a DVD-only release was due to how close its release was to the JP blurays.

Jarmel

Banned
Here's a really good comparison shot.
TFYpR7X.jpg
T0EIa9l.jpg

damn

Narag

So much detail lost. I know it won't be quite as dramatic in-episode but there's going to be a great feeling of seeing this all over again for the first time.

Clov

I'm still of the opinion the only reason it had a DVD-only release was due to how close its release was to the JP blurays.

Yep, Funimation is still waiting for the materials to be delivered. It has been a few years now, though. You'd figure that they'd be well on their way to having a finished disc after this much time.

As for Turn A, very possible. I'd say another factor would be that it was the first release under RightStuf and Sunrise's new partnership, and Sunrise wasn't so sure about how the releases would go over.

Jarmel

Banned
Something about the new master seems "off" and I want to say it must be DNR or some other filtering. Not well versed enough in these things. Trying to keep in mind Youtube compression. Maybe it's an aspect of the color reproduction? Last shot gives me the feeling it used digital compositing which would be uncommon for a production around that time, no?

I don't think they should have, Cowboy Bebop was '98 and it was still fairly new back then. I kinda see what you mean but it might just be Youtube compression. It also might be related to a possible degraining process, as the shots are super clean.

Thoraxes

Here's a really good comparison shot.

damn

Hot.
Ah.
Yep, Funimation is still waiting for the materials to be delivered. It has been a few years now, though. You'd figure that they'd be well on their way to having a finished disc after this much time.

As for Turn A, very possible. I'd say another factor would be that it was the first release under RightStuf and Sunrise's new partnership, and Sunrise wasn't so sure about how the releases would go over.
Turn A: Yeah, I can see that. Apparently the DVDs sold well.

And I didn't know that about Outlaw Star. The pickup was years ago, and we are far enough past the JP BD box release I feel like they'd start to get on that.

Though, I guess it is nice to get Escaflowne from them this year. I'll be all over that when it goes up at Rightstuf.

Yeah, but the story itself isn't all that amazing overall, and ill fit for a copy-paste anime adaptation. Most cases are more about the howdunnit than anything else, since the culprit tends to be fairly obvious with the whole point being that Phoenix has to pull through the prosecution and the witnesses' contradictions to bring the true culprit to justice.

The anime, on the other hand, doesn't give the audience a handy way to review testimonies/evidence mid-trial, which means it's that much harder for them to actually connect the dots before the characters spell things out for Phoenix, and that in turn makes the trials seem really arbitrary and full of deus ex machinas (which they are, only the games are fun because you're struggling alongside Phoenix in his way to find the truth behind each case).

Loss of interactivity in a story which has been written expecting it is a common problem for game adaptations, but I think a direct adaptation of Ace Attorney could have worked with a loose enough approach and creative presentational flair. Anime-original cases could have been even better, but obviously that would be asking too much of the present anime team.

Casshern Sins 2-4 - I saw the 2004 Casshern movie back in the day and was pretty into it. Watching Sins I'm also enjoying it a lot too, the overall tone and aesthetic is fantastic. The pointy angles, the hard shadows, and the fuzz around the edges of the lines look great. I was also in the mood for something darker and more miserable, and this seems to be just that.

Casshern Sins does do a good job of accurately reproducing the feeling of being stuck in depression.

ibyea

Banned
Ace Attorney: 4
Oh god those CG crowds. I think the show is trying to induce vomiting on its audience.

Anyways, I am dropping this. This is too depressing. They really didn't give a damn at all.

jonjonaug

Those G Gundam screenshots, good lord.

Sadly it doesn't look like Bandai's JP release has English subs on the disc despite the fact that they should have those to work with. I'd totally pay 500 dollars to import a G Gundam remaster.

JulianImp

Loss of interactivity in a story which has been written expecting it is a common problem for game adaptations, but I think a direct adaptation of Ace Attorney could have worked with a loose enough approach and creative presentational flair. Anime-original cases could have been even better, but obviously that would be asking too much of the present anime team.

I agree. Giving cases a looser adaptation would've probably helped a whole lot, since at this rate it looks like we'll be getting nerfed versions of the game cases at best, which is lame as hell both for longtime fans and people being exposed to the IP for the first time. Then again it's glarilngly obvious the production values are pretty low, so there's no way we're getting much besides what was in the games originally, let alone AO cases.

Which is a shame, since I kind of liked the small stuff they added for when Phoenix offered Maya to become her defence attorney, for example. What we're getting instead is all the plot points jammed down our throats raw, with little to no fluff in between each statement and turnabout. It's also sad to think that several GBA animations feel better than the ones used in the anime, and that the latter is severely failing at depicting witness breakdowns, which were one of the big rewards for finally seeing through their lies and delivering justice.

Just put out G-Gundam.

G Gundam before Wing and even the earlier released Seed and Seed Destiny woud be offensive and dissapointing. Ive been waiting so long...

Holy shit that looks good. That comparison shot makes it look even better since nostalgia kind of messes with your head when you think back on how the quality was.

Now if only they did a Wing Remaster.....

Kuromukuro 1

This is quite promising. It feels like a lot of effort and thought has gone into the creation of this all around. While the production doesn't stand out quite as much as Eccentric Family did, it's still very polished with strong character animation throughout. What's particularly admirable is how much the animation helps to characterize the characters and make them come to life. Little things like the way Yukina walks or the shoulder stretches the older researcher does when Yukina encounters him help make them feel more human and likable, just as the dialogue itself does. Exposition about the setting and the characters was integrated in a natural manner instead of having info dumps that stick out like sore thumbs. There's just the right blend of background mystery with the naked samurai and invading robots and fleshing out of the main characters, Yukina in particular, to make this a compelling beginning. Hopefully the staff know where they're going with this so this can be a satisfying narrative all the way to the end.

ibyea

Banned
Kiznaiver: 3
I liked it better than last episode. I think today's was pretty great. The slapstick just worked for me and I have come around to liking Niko. And as others mentioned, Tenga and Niko are carrying the show. As for the purple guy, well he is... interesting... The cliffhanger resolution was pretty lame though, even if I am sure there was more to it and they aren't revealing it. I was afraid it was going to be like this.

G Gundam is great tho, thanks to it I added Shining Fingers to my repertoire of moves that I use against my siblings when we were kids.

ibyea

Banned
Flying Witch: 3
It's like last episode. I liked the latter half and disliked the first half. I found myself running out of patience with the first half despite some of the funny pheasant bits. The second half was nice though and Makoto's sister is quiet a character, not to mention there were some entertaining shenanigans.

Kuma Miko 1-3

Decided to watch it, and of course, you know, a Miko is a Miko, and gets lewded in universe. The show picked up some form of interest in me with DJ Natsu being displayed on my twitter feed, so I bothered to watch it after rummaging for the name.

And boy does Yoshio kill my interest in the show. Nevermind he seems to get off to telling nine year olds stories on how bears fuck virgins to explain why we have a contract with them, he just exudes creepiness. The bar goes into overload when he pins our fair Miko to the ground while she was changing clothes and yells at her why he gets attacked for looking at her, but Natsu doesn't. I mean the reason is obvious, but the rape imagry was pretty damn strong here.

I mean other than that, you have cases of whatsherface exposing her naivety of the city life to a bear, who somehow knows more than her about the hood.

Guess I'll watch Flying Witch instead, which was adapted because of MahoGirls Precure.

Jarmel

Banned
So I looked up a different set of raws for G-Gundam as I noticed some black crush in my initial batch. Both should have been R2 but the new images look better so I reuploaded all my earlier screenshots. These are pretty much the best I could find for G-Gundam in SD.
Why so bright?
The BDs definitely look brighter. I'm not sure why but maybe it was bitrate related with the old ones.

blurr

Nah, I actually liked the candy "trivia" aspect. Insightful and amusing if all of that is actually true, it's just that Hotaru teases so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom