• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, looking at that auditorium pic again, that kinda looks like it's only about half as big again as the size of my high school. So maybe around 1500 kids. But my school was I guess for americans a combined middle/high school, so 6 years... this school appears to just be the last 3 years of high school, like most japanese schools... p. big.

Designed by the same guy who designed Kyoto Station as well:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiroshi_Hara_(architect)

Jintor

that's less cool because kyoto station from the outside is a goddamn brick someone plopped down in the middle of all these nice traditional buildings

looks nice from inside though

Clov

Yep looks about right. The DVDs were quite bad and I think this might have been shot on 35mm or at least looks like it.

From what I've heard, while the original Mobile Suit Gundam was on 16mm, Zeta was done on 35mm. It wouldn't surprise me if every Gundam after Zeta (and before the early digi-paint era) was shot on 35mm.

I think a lot of Sunrise's TV work was shot on 35mm, actually. I've heard that Escaflowne was, and the traditionally animated episodes of Bebop were (everything that wasn't a CG shot, and two episodes that were digitally mastered should be on 35mm).

Kiznaiver 3

I'm still confused with this. This is the typical anime that tries to mix humor and goofiness with a serious plot, and in this case the mix is really extreme: 90% of the series is in fact goofy, but it seems it's going to try to be really serious and edgy with the story (the other 10%), right now behind scenes.

Joker Game 3

Not bad. It chose to play with a small setup, just the spy and three characters in a room, and inside of that it played well, with a who is who and what are their motivations. I couldn't see what was going to happen, but still maintained a basis of realism. The last part where the main character conveniently recovers the memory at the end of episode was silly.

Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress 2

Eh, worse than I thought. The first episode already showed this wasn't going to be very original, but it's even more a clone of AoT than I thought, with the hero being another Eren
(one of the few humans who can use the zombie-like powers against them, and who has to fight against mistrust of fellow humans).
. Well, he's a more badass Eren, but as edgy (that speech when he was on foot, lol).
AoT had at least some original twist in its post apocalyptic setting, this by virtue of being a copy of AoT (and other popular ideas thrown there) hasn't. Hell, it is even less original, with their typical anime pseudo-old-Japan like setting. Add to that characters like Mumei which couldn't be more ANIME even if they tried, and sheesh, I will watch for the sakuga and old school designs.

Kuma Miko 1-3

This varies between genuinely funny and the boringly otaku pandering. When it isn't creepy. The best example would be the last episode. The first part was pretty fun, I laughed a lot when they prepared for the dance ritual and in the end it was a exercise cd, or her past possession, or when the bear transformed into a DJ. Then the second part was about the cute loli/tween trying different costumes, that's it, pure pandering. Oh yeah, we also had the part of the uncle pinning her down on the ground while she was only in underwear. Hilarious!
not
Oh yeah, for a series of this type it has some good animation, and the ED song is lol.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Boku no Hero Academia Episode 4:

The nice thing about this is in an ordinary shonen adaptation, this episode would have been 5 episodes, each more tedious then the last. As expected we are moving into deeper character focus for Deku as we get the old question what is the measure of a hero?
Of course, rescuing somebody from peril at the potential risk of your own body with no gain other then having saved a life is at the core of hero making. There was certainly a missed moment here given that every other hero ran away because there was no value in the target or in saving the girl. That is a really mercenary attitude now that I think about it and perhaps signals some deep testing flaws.
This series is still a good one but it is still suffering in the shadow of its own hype and hopefully the arrival of an actual supporting cast will bolster the series.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Kiznaiver 3
Fun episode. The new sinner is off the rocker with him having orgasm right after kacchon got hit by a truck. I swear this is actually a comedy show.

Diamond is unbreakable 4

Gotta give it to koichi. He survive bleeding for god know how many minutes and manage to survive that. I expect the opener will be updated with his stand.
Josuke is truly son of Joseph. He's as cunning as him

blurr

The nice thing about this is in an ordinary shonen adaptation, this episode would have been 5 episodes, each more tedious then the last. As expected we are moving into deeper character focus for Deku as we get the old question what is the measure of a hero?
Of course, rescuing somebody from peril at the potential risk of your own body with no gain other then having saved a life is at the core of hero making. The was certainly a missed moment here given that every other hero ran away because there was no value in the target or in saving the girl. That is a really mercenary attitude now that I think about it and perhaps signals some deep testing flaws.
This series is still a good one but it is still suffering in the shadow of its own hype and hopefully the arrival of an actual supporting cast will bolster the series.

Yep, spot on.

I would say that I don't mind even if it doesn't follow up to the "hype" it created. It's been special enough for me.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Normally I would let that go, the hype, but when FUNimation litrally called it The Next Big Thing, I have to take into account. Also, on the matter of the pacing, I have not commented on it till now but the pacing is perfect, nothing wrong with the pacing. As mentioned above we are not moving at a crawl but on the other hand we are also not just blowing through the material and turning MHA into a lucid dream where everything is all jumbled. Veterans of Inuyasha: The Final Act or Dimension W should be familiar with this.

Kiznaiver 3
Fun episode. The new sinner is off the rocker with him having orgasm right after kacchon got hit by a truck. I swear this is actually a comedy show.

Yup it's like I said on my impressions post, when the show tries to be funny, IT IS. Like laugh out loud funny. The show is so weird but it works so well in its favour. If the show took itself too seriously, I probably wouldn't enjoy it half as much as I do now.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Kiznaiver is the show that has me the most interested this season because I have not yet figured out how and why this show ticks exactly.

Jarmel

Banned
Normally I would let that go, the hype, but when FUNimation litrally called it The Next Big Thing, I have to take into account. Also, on the matter of the pacing, I have not commented on it till now but the pacing is perfect, nothing wrong with the pacing. As mentioned above we are not moving at a crawl but on the other hand we are also not just blowing through the material and turning MHA into a lucid dream where everything is all jumbled. Veterans of Inuyasha: The Final Act or Dimension W should be familiar with this.

It's more that the early chapters of MHA are fairly slow and there isn't a lot in them. For fans of the source, this is fine as that audience is already attached to the characters but it doesn't engender new viewers. When people are saying the pacing is off, the show is dragging its heels getting to the more exciting moments.

I think MHA is just okay.

It's enjoyable for what it is. It's not gonna be the next Naruto or One Piece, but it's still enjoyable in a dumb schlocky shonen kind of way. It's like a nice hamburger. Not memorable, but enjoyable.

blurr

It's more that the early chapters of MHA are fairly slow and there isn't a lot in them. For fans of the source, this is fine as that audience is already attached to the characters but it doesn't engender new viewers. When people are saying the pacing is off, the show is dragging its heels getting to the more exciting moments.

I'm a new viewer but I find the pace fitting for the show

then again, I'm probably a minority in terms of "new viewers"

Shard

XBLAnnoyance

I suppose I can see that point of view but on the other hand as somebody who has watched several weekly shonen series I am just not going to say this pacing feel off when everything flowed and concluded in a single episode.

Narag

My Hero Academia 4
pni2orGl.png
H4uOz9Ul.png
I think what's amusing is how must trust people have in the studio and material to just go along with this when we'd be cracking jokes if someone like Wit used 4 cuts from previous episodes/earlier in the episode in the first 15 minutes.

Flying Witch 1

There's no defensible reason for this assumption, but I spent the first few minutes of this show thinking these people were adults until somebody was like "bla bla school tomorrow." Thought I was getting Barakamon with a witch.

Felt pretty iyashikei without putting me to sleep like Aria and ended on a solid gag, which made me want to continue watching.

Kumamiko 1-2

Nope. As many other have said, this is unambiguously playing to the creep seats.

phaze

Flying Witch 1

There's no defensible reason for this assumption, but I spent the first few minutes of this show thinking these people were adults until somebody was like "bla bla school tomorrow." Thought I was getting Barakamon with a witch.

Thought the same. Those chara designs could easily pass as 20 something year olds.

One Punch Deku 04

The pacing does increasily bother me, there's a lot of pointless monologuing and I counted at least three separate scenes, lifted from previous episode to provide exposition that really didn't need to be repeated. Also, Deku really cries a lot. Again, this didn't bother me before but there were 3/4 four times he teared up he. Dial it down please. Generally, this remains eerily reminiscent of Naruto. Having the exam passed not by standard accumulation of points but by going against the grain and proving in the process the one quality most important in a ninja/hero of was there too. MHA just repeated it but with the obligatory and even more pointless building of tension and obvious switcheroo.

I really hope there will more to Deku's power than a plot convenient Deus Ex Machina that he will only be able to activate when the mangaka allows him too.

OST remains supremely great.

Sankarea 02

Huh

Also, welp.

Also, wow tits.
----
A much more serious and a better episode than its predecessor, shedding light on Sanka's (severely fucked up) circumstances, her relationships with her loving papa, unloving mother and how this shaped her persona. It also had one of the most bizzaro cases of sudden tits that completely ruined the mood the entire episode had going on. If there will be a lot of that later on, I don't see myself faring well. Despite bits of quality for some of the crowd shots, this was really impressive ep visually. Moar pls.
Both OP and ED are really strong. Between this, Hataraku and NNB, Nano Ripe grew up to one of the few bands I like and more importantly, recognize. ED is pretty simple animation wise but the song carries it.

Jarmel

Banned
I suppose I can see that point of view but on the other hand as somebody who has watched several weekly shonen series I am just not going to say this pacing feel off when everything flowed and concluded in a single episode.

Honestly the pacing by itself is fine. They aren't rushing everything and parts don't feel dragged out. They're just fleshing stuff out but it is taking a lot of time. It's being paced like a two cour, which is not necessarily bad.

Tonkatsu Dj 3

Don't worry bro, I think you look mad fly with your hat, much better than the beanie guy. Once again another fantastic episode, style oozes from every wiggity wiggity drop the bass pore. The music and art style are the show's highlight, even if the animation isn't all there. With this episode, every character in the cover has been introduced. I'm hoping that by the end of the show he puts on a show.

NeonZ

My Hero Academia 04

Why did this episode take so long to get from point A to point B?
It feels like the show was prepared with a long running schedule in mind, even though it's actually just a 13 episodes season as far as we know. Considering how it doesn't seem to have high ratings or high preorders so far, it probably won't get much past this initial season either. Maybe a 2nd season if this is one of those series where they plan two seasons from the beginning but only announce the 2nd one later.

Moaradin

It feels like the show was prepared with a long running schedule in mind, even though it's actually just a 13 episodes season as far as we know. Considering how it doesn't seem to have high ratings or high preorders so far, it probably won't get much past this initial season either. Maybe a 2nd season if this is one of those series where they plan two seasons from the beginning but only announce the 2nd one later.

isn't manga sales a better indication for this kind of show? Seems kind of silly to say that this won't get a second season when it was already one of the most popular Shonen Jump series, even before the anime.

Ascheroth

The chance of this not getting more seasons is incredibly slim.

Jarmel

Banned
Now that I think about it, people have been complaining that the pacing in the manga is too fast later on so I wonder if a slower pace when adapting some of the later arcs might help alleviate those feelings.

I don't really agree with that assessment in regards to the manga though.

Of course, rescuing somebody from peril at the potential risk of your own body with no gain other then having saved a life is at the core of hero making. There was certainly a missed moment here given that every other hero ran away because there was no value in the target or in saving the girl. That is a really mercenary attitude now that I think about it and perhaps signals some deep testing flaws.

I mean... Isn't that the point?
they intentionally held back info on rescue points to see which kids would go above the call to help each other in a life or death scenario. Considering the first 2 episodes esablished pro heroes just as interested in selling their brand as saving people and "pro heroes" are willing to stand around and wait for someone with a better quirk to show up. Its why rescue points are weighted a lot more then battle points. I don't think its a testing flaw its deliberate design choice.

Jarmel

Banned
I have tried to watch through G Gundam several times but the poor animation really turns me off.

It's a 50 (close enough) episode series back in the '90's. Of course the animation is going to look bad for good chunks of it. Not to mention stock footage up the ass.

Russ T

Banned
Flying Witch 1

I 100% thought this, too. Was honestly pretty disappointed when it turned out not the be the case. It's always refreshing when an anime doesn't take place in a high school. Fortunately, the school stuff takes a backseat to the rest-of-life stuff.

Lost Village 4

WHAT

a giant mitsumune lmao WHAT

that is absolutely not the direction i was expecting

Cornbread78

Endride ep.4
These MCs are so damn insufferable, uuggh. I'm sticking with it because the story is kind of interesting, but I want these two to STFU and stop fighting like little children all the time. Maybe that fight ended that fir now, hopefully. ...

duckroll

I have tried to watch through G Gundam several times but the poor animation really turns me off.

Ha.

Hahahahaha.

Hahahahahahahahaha.

Wut.

G-Gundam probably has the best animation out of any TV Gundam series in the 90s.

It's a 50 (close enough) episode series back in the '90's. Of course the animation is going to look bad for good chunks of it. Not to mention stock footage up the ass.

Why are you defending a factually wrong statement?

Jarmel

Banned
they intentionally held back info on rescue points to see which kids would go above the call to help each other in a life or death scenario. Considering the first 2 episodes esablished pro heroes just as interested in selling their brand as saving people and "pro heroes" are willing to stand around and wait for someone with a better quirk to show up. Its why rescue points are weighted a lot more then battle points. I don't think its a testing flaw its deliberate design choice.

Yea it was clearly intentional why
they didn't tell people about the rescue points. You would want to see how selfless a person is and if you state outright about the rescue system then there would be people solely trying to just get those points
. It wasn't just a practical but a character test too.
G-Gundam probably has the best animation out of any TV Gundam series in the 90s.

That's not a particularly high bar.

I think Wing though probably has that honor.

Ascheroth

Yep, I though Iidas thought process made that pretty clear, too.
Is he stupid? Why would he do that if there's nothing in it for him? Of course if it wasn't a test I would have done the same. Of course... If it wasn't a test... -> realization.

Russ T

Banned
Bungo Stray Dogs 3

Bungo Stray Dogs 1, 2

That... was far FAR more entertaining than I honestly expected! And funny to boot! I'm glad this turned out well, as it was something I figured could just as easily have flopped hard.

It's definitely the kind of series that can live or die by the Big Plot, though, so there's still that worry...

Welp. I'm not surprised the show is ruined, but I am a bit surprised it happened so soon. Bah. Maybe it'll turn out more interesting than it appears, but the first two episodes were so entertaining. Dumb edgy villain just doesn't do it for me. \:

phaze

Ha.

Hahahahaha.

Hahahahahahahahaha.

Wut.

Judging by Wing, that really doesn't mean anything.

And I agree with him, I've gone through the first few episodes and it was pretty bad.

duckroll

That's not a particularly high bar.

I think Wing though probably has that honor.

Nah, Wing has some nice scenes, but overall G-Gundam is king. It's really obvious how the budget went too. G was first and produced at Studio 2 with all the folks who would go on to make Escaflowne and Bebop. Wing was next and still had decent budget. Then by the time they go to X, making the shows annually in succession got to them and it just looked like total hot garbage right from the start.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance

I have been wondering that upon thinking about it and depending on how things proceed then it could be a bit of subtle brilliance
as it would establish a good reason WHY there needs to be a Hero Academy.

blurr

Yea, this is a really cool plot point that works out both in terms of narrative and creating an interesting outcome. Stuff like this makes up for the pacing IMO.

Jarmel

Banned
Nah, Wing has some nice scenes, but overall G-Gundam is king. It's really obvious how the budget went too. G was first and produced at Studio 2 with all the folks who would go on to make Escaflowne and Bebop. Wing was next and still had decent budget. Then by the time they go to X, making the shows annually in succession got to them and it just looked like total hot garbage right from the start.

I think G has more stock footage though due to all the intros and power moves. Not to mention reuse of prior footage in some of the arcs. It's not a big sin though, especially again for an anime in the '90s. GGG was a lot worse in that respects.

With X everybody was just burned out. That was a show just running on fumes.

duckroll

I'm not sure if it was people being burned out really. Different teams/studios made each show. It probably looked like hot garbage because every good animator at Sunrise at the time was working on Escaflowne instead. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom