• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exalted

3gD1ciJ.jpg
zuHHTz9.jpg
Just to give more context on the latest Big order episode.
The girl in the picture is telling the MC that she went into labor, 3 min after the MC touched her ribbon on the head for a mere second by accident . She also has a full preggy belly, that you can see growing during those 3 min.
DUMB doesn't do this show justice.

Naruto Shippuden: Season 17 Episode 458 – Itachi's Story - Light and Darkness: Truth

That Kaguya!!! The whole last few minutes to see Black Zetsu connect the dots for everyone was amazing. In the world of Naruto the manipulator becomes the manipulated, poor Madara.

pbayne

Dennou Coil 2-3

Runrunrunrunrrunrun the anime. They run more in this than Prince of Stride and it looks better too.
Some pretty cool chase and well laid out as well. I spotted a really vibrant red shrine in the background and thought "huh that sticks out, wonder if they're going there" and they did, it was pretty neat. I like the look of the show overall, a bit washed out but then it makes some of the more vibrant colors really pop out. So much energy and movement in everything too.
Lol why is the Grandma so badass? And what did that Encoder girl do? Looks like she near broke reality. If there's one thing hard to keep track of in this show its the non-stop parade of powers "i have this and this and this and this etc".

Big Order episode 3

Haha, this show has really started to increase the stupid levels with this episode. The beginning was also really edgy with the executions and gore. Still can't stop laughing at that last scene where a girl gets pregnant, because the MC accidentally touched her head for a second, you don't see something so dumb every day.

lol Holy God, magic bus show got nothing on that.

Big Order - 03

this has pregnable bunny ribbon ears and a ripped tanned amazonian woman with a sledge hammer eating rocks with her shark teeth, what more could one possibly want??

Clov

I'm curious; has anyone else here watched the Project Itoh film, Harmony? I went into it with no expectations (doubly so because I didn't like the previous Itoh film, The Empire of Corpses) and ended up really liking it. It's very heavy on the philosophical dialogue (to the point that it reminded me of some of Oshii's films), and some of the CG work is a bit wonky (though it's better than 4C's work on Berserk, at least) but I found it to be a very interesting movie overall. The protagonist was great, and I really liked how it ended. It was neat seeing Micheal Arias work on a new film; he codirected it with the person who did A Tree of Palme (which I've heard mixed things about). If anyone else here has seen Harmony, what did you think of it?

Hey, someone actually talking about Harmony. I swear it's like nobody knows this even exists.

Coming out in theaters in English next month!

phaze

Luloco 5
This isn't normal.

Diamond is Unbreakable 05
Is it wrong to want Kouichi and Okuyasu to die as quickly and as painfully as possible ?

Anyhow, finally free of the manga. Maybe I'll be able to enjoy the show more than I did hitherto.

Big Order 03

This show might be too dumb even for me to handle. And the CG, some of the chara designs, dialogue are just awful.

JulianImp

Bungou Stray Dogs #4
I don't like how this episode had lots of moments that did "show, don't tell" just flat out wrong... first there was the secretary pointing out loud that the MC must've kept the business card in order to call her, which was really obvious and an event that happened a single episode ago, making the repetition stand out in a pretty bad way.

Then there was the fact that the mafia task force had already attempted to raid the detective agency and failed in the past, but it seemed like the bad guys weren't aware of it at all since neither the three big guys nor the rashomon guy ever hinted at them being beat by the detective agency in their dialogs nor actions. I get that the show wanted to surprise the audience and prove that the agency was more than capable of protecting itself, but the way they handled it felt like a gaping and very conspicuous plot hole to me.

Also, what's up with the "nobody wants you" speech the MC received as he was kicked out of the orphanage being repeated through flashbacks multiple times per episode? Couldn't the writers come up with a better way to portray him struggling emotionally than using those two scenes over and over and over? Sheesh.

Will probably drop the show for now and keep my eyes peeled in case it gets better, since I've got to finish Eureka 7 and it feels like a much better time investment than Bungou so far.

Anne-Happy #4
Okay, but still meh. One-note characters and situations aren't selling me on this show so far, so I'll drop it for now as well so I can watch better regarded shows instead.

I'm curious; has anyone else here watched the Project Itoh film, Harmony? I went into it with no expectations (doubly so because I didn't like the previous Itoh film, The Empire of Corpses) and ended up really liking it. It's very heavy on the philosophical dialogue (to the point that it reminded me of some of Oshii's films), and some of the CG work is a bit wonky (though it's better than 4C's work on Berserk, at least) but I found it to be a very interesting movie overall. The protagonist was great, and I really liked how it ended. It was neat seeing Micheal Arias work on a new film; he codirected it with the person who did A Tree of Palme (which I've heard mixed things about). If anyone else here has seen Harmony, what did you think of it?

I'm interested in Harmony because of Takashi Nakamura and Michael Arias, but was hesitant because the trailers looked sketchy. I'm glad to hear you're positive on it. Maybe I'll even bother to go to Funimation's theatrical screening of it.

Speaking of Nakamura, you should watch his show Fantastic Children. I believe you watched his short Shashinkan recently, and while Fantastic Children isn't quite as good it shows a similar single-minded vision and commitment to saying exactly what he wants to say.

Narag

Bungou Stray Dogs 3

The modern setting coupled with costuming of the principal cast causes all sorts of internal dissonance for me.

lmao @ one dude's special ability being The Matrix, smh @ Ryunosuke Akutagawa being the bad guy too

phaze

Now that I've actually watched Bungou Stray Dogs ED, I have to say that it's both pretty good and easily the most bl thing this season.

Well outside of that one show DTL watches.

Clov

I'm interested in Harmony because of Takashi Nakamura and Michael Arias, but was hesitant because the trailers looked sketchy. I'm glad to hear you're positive on it. Maybe I'll even bother to go to Funimation's theatrical screening of it.

Speaking of Nakamura, you should watch his show Fantastic Children. I believe you watched his short Shashinkan recently, and while Fantastic Children isn't quite as good it shows a similar single-minded vision and commitment to saying exactly what he wants to say.

I wasn't aware that Nakamura did Fantastic Children! I really enjoyed Shashinkan, and I've heard nothing but great things about Fantastic Children, so I'll definitely make some time to watch it. I'm planning on watching Dear Brother and Votoms first though, since I've been meaning to check them out for a while.

I'm seven episodes into Dear Brother, and I'm really enjoying it so far. It's like a much prettier version of Aim for the Ace, without all the tennis! While I don't know if I'll like it as much as I like The Rose of Versailles, the show definitely has got me hooked.

Narag

Bungou Stray Dogs 4

An entire episode spent so they could put the rest of the cast over since Dazai's already too OP.

Clov

Getting back to Harmony for a moment, I don't want to hype it up too much, since I don't think it's a film for everyone. Like I mentioned, it's very dialogue heavy, and really flashback heavy as well. It might be more of an acquired taste; it's not the kind of film that Funimation usually chases after, and had it not been part of the Project Itoh series I doubt that they would have tried to get it. Still, I can say that it's absolutely worth watching at least once. I even want to watch it again, just to try and take it all in even more.

On a different note, NISA's premium edition of The Eccentric Family is going out of print! Given the focus of NISA's anime division these days, I have no idea if they're going to do a standard edition or not. If you want to own this series on BD, it might be safer to act sooner rather than later.

Narag

Joker Game 4

I lack any historical knowledge of the occupation of Shanghai and as such have no appreciation for the setting. Ending was brutal as all hell but everything leading up to it felt needlessly complicated which I hope isn't a common refrain in these single eps.

I don't dislike the show or anything, just disappointed it's not handled more adroitly.

Cornbread78

I don't understand this at all. There was no "fake out crap" in Hyouka.
Oreki and Chitanda's relationship was made perfectly clear by the end. There was no need for a confession scene or anything for them to go: "all in".
Also, pretentious? Really? A show that's pretentious would be something like Earth Maiden Arjuna. Hyouka was a show primarily about character interactions to make the little romantic aspects it had feel natural. It wasn't trying to preach anything or make a point.

Opinions man, but whatever, it obviously because I view anime in a shallow and simplistic manor.. But yeah, they built the whole scene up
with Oreki telling her all of his feelings and how he wants to build his life around her, just for the words to fall silent and not actually reach her.
From my perspective as a casual viewer, I didn't appreciate the pretentiousness nature in which they played the scene out. Now, I'll decode "pretentious" based on my interpretation:

The scene was artistically beautiful and very well done if you can appreciate the subtlety in their version of a "romantic" moment. In my opinion, it was done in almost a smug manor to prove a point that they were going to keep presenting their growing relationship with subtle moments as the primary reason there was no
actual confession.
As a casual viewer, we are left to have our own interpretation as to whether or not there was a
silent acknowledgement if their feelings towards one another reached one another.
I don't think they got that through to each other and the OVA did not further that either.

It's a good series, but those nuances did nothing for me.

Clov

Are you trying to say that having things understated or left to the viewer's interpretation is inherently smug? If that's true, I think I may have found someone who's my polar opposite.

Cornbread78

Are you trying to say that having things understated or left to the viewer's interpretation is inherently smug? If that's true, I think I may have found someone who's my polar opposite.

Just my feelings for that scene in particular. It may not apply to everything and sometimes I can appreciate leaving things unsaid.

Cornbread78

Don't ever watch End of Evangelion then cornbread

The end of "Evangelion" has scarred me for life already. Congratulations!

That's just how I felt about Hyouka.

They teased it since the first couple mins of the series, including the OP/ED, then when it comes to judgment time, they balked at realization of that. It's probably just me, but I felt burned by it as if they were mocking me as a viewer, lol.

Luluco 5
Awesome episode. Luluco's mom was great, Over Justice was also great. Everybody turning into guns was great
Big Order 3
I expected the show to go dumb, I just didn't expect it to go this dumb this fast. Pregnable ribbons got to be one of stupidiest things in anime

Just T

My Hero Academia: 4

Another good episode, nice to see that punch animated.

Netoge: 4

Well it’s pretty obvious who that is but wonder what Ako will do when she finds out, last time was a wand, what will she pull out next.

Space Patrol Luluco: 5

Nice episode, Lalako is great, and references all over the place.

Thoraxes

Strike the Blood ep. 21-END:
CzchGHl.jpg

(yeah, I get that comic now after the 10 or 15th time she said it)

Now that ending was something else. I mean, like always, the wrong girl won in the end as they continue to push the overused narrative that
childhood friends are useless and will never get a shot
lol. Also,
the whole Himeragi x Koujo's baby coming back from the future to help them destroy the magical beast
was weird and felt out of place. I mean, I figure they were just closing the loop on everything to confirm the future ship, but man, but it was just an odd way to do it... The ending with
Kojou waiting outside the school for her (for the first time ever) was cute enough as an ending
The series wasn't as much as a harem as I thought it would be as they really only tried shipping the one girl and everyone else was just there as a potential blood host, lol. The action scenes were often short, but decent and the mini arc type stories were pretty good. I just wish that there was a central plot through a 2 cour show, but instead, we just had those mini arcs throughout.

He also has a kid with Aiba too. She's the girl at the lab.

Almost everyone wins here.
Just to give more context on the latest Big order episode.
The girl in the picture is telling the MC that she went into labor, 3 min after the MC touched her ribbon on the head for a mere second by accident . She also has a full preggy belly, that you can see growing during those 3 min.
DUMB doesn't do this show justice.
And to think she fully completed the gestation period in about 5 minutes! Next episode's opening will be fun.

Ascheroth

Kabanossi #3

Entertaining show continues to be entertaining. Mumei giving no fucks about anything is the best. Although Ikomas hate speech was kind of flat.

Lulucop Season 2 Episode 2

This is secretly the best show this season along with Kiznaiver, right after JoJo. Trigger is killing it.
I mean it had life fibres, YEAART and Over Justice STANDING UP!!!!! among other things.

Did I mention Over Justice is the best? How can you not like someone who is just a freaking flat plane while sitting.

JoJo DiU #5

hBgtc5r.jpg

It must be an enemy stand cutting onions.

It feels so good having literally no idea about this part anymore besides a couple of key events. I'd completely forgotten the Nijimura backstory.

Kagewani S2 #5

Did I mention that I really like all the songs used in this show? Both endings and the insert song are all really good.
Interesting episode focused on the hunter clan mostly. And this time it was really the one from S1 that saved the day.

Ushio to Tora #32

Lots of crazy faces again.
Welp, Nagare.
To the bottom of the ocean we go!

Big Order #3

This show went so far into negative dumb space that it actually circled around to reach a higher plane of existence so profound mere mortal minds cannot grasp it anymore.

Although I don't really get how his power actually works. I mean he 'dominated' everyone of the Elite 10, but they still do whatever the fuck they want? Like, can't he just order them to tell him the things he want to know and don't do things behind his back and yada yada.

In other words: the soundtrack is soo good and soo fitting.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Line_HTX

Kabaneri 3

Solid episode. Ayame is stacked and is also pretty competent herself.

Fucking lol @ the American guy. Glad they at least got an American VA for him.
Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress #3

American guy? Are you talking about the guy with the noble like hair style and said like two words in english? He did look a bit out of place with that hairstyle alone heh.
That American guy seems a bit forced in this universe. Like they knew they wanted a character the internet would go crazy for. He'll probably be called like Freedom-kun or some shit and when his death eventually happens the internet will lose their collective minds.

Now that I know that the American engineer with the crazy goggles does all the episode previews, I'm more comfortable with this English dialogue now.

Turns out this guy is the annnouncer for the upcoming King of Fighters XIV.

:lol

Thoraxes

You all are mad just cause Big Order not only presented a stupid trope, but then subverted it in the dumbest way possible.

I can't be mad at what they did. I actually laughed out loud pretty good.

Kabaneri 03

My tolerance for bullshit this season is lower and I've dropped more shows than ever. I'm at 6 per week now and it's still subject to change. But this show continues to be very, very good. Dat ending though. Also ED of the season continues to be the ED of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom