• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

Banned
Kuromukuro-4
OtzKxny.jpg
Another really solid episode that mostly focused on Kennosuke adjusting to modern society. The curry scene was great due to the 'horror' rock music that played. A good use of overly dramatic direction. The little sister's commentary throughout the first half was pretty funny. A lot of this reminds me of Full Metal Panic, due to the culturally impaired soldier not uh adjusting well to regular society. It's a bit more amplified here but both are hitting that same type of comedy and do it well. There was a good amount of thought put into the smaller things with Kennosuke like the underwear or lack of shoes. In general, the animators have put a lot of thought into body language. It's nothing groundbreaking but it does help give the show a level of energy that might otherwise be missing.
In addition, the show is starting to delve into Yukina's father issues. I'm not sure how much time the show is going to spend on this but it does help make her a bit more multifaceted. Besides the father almost certainly re-entering the plot as a plot point down the road, this subplot also serves to connect Yukina and Kennosuke together.

The Lost Village Episode 5 – Three Yuunas Is a Crowd

Speedstar is a great friend, he at least tried to defend Mitsumune while the ghost question was brought up and
so glad lion san was lying about seeing dead people. I got scared that he would really be a ghost as silly as they would be

Also their moment and that surprise from Mitsumune that Speedstar would try to apologize.
tumblr_o6fh5lFsyJ1qbxqfpo1_540.png
tumblr_o6fh5lFsyJ1qbxqfpo2_540.png

I dont understand the lovepon love shes so dumb and annoying. Thankfully the survivalists keep things interesting when shes around.

will everyone see a different giant whatever?

Narag

When they start showing their pasts, you know they're probably about to die. So, Lovepon and Nyan girl are biting the dust next week if that's the case.

Maybe they'll disappear when those two are resuscitated at the scene of the bus crash where everyone's currently dying. #whatatwist

Narag

Kiznaiver 3

huh I figured I'd ready a glib comment about Okada for this but the show's handling the concept far better than I would have expected.

Jarmel

Banned
Kiznaiver 3

huh I figured I'd ready a glib comment about Okada for this but the show's handling the concept far better than I would have expected.

The direction has seemed to temper out Okada's 'tendencies' so it doesn't come off as insane as it probably should be. I also think the comedy is serving to balance most of the drama.

Narag

The direction has seemed to temper out Okada's 'tendencies' so it doesn't come off as insane as it probably should be. I also think the comedy is serving to balance most of the drama.

I really expected something as dumb as Mayoiga but far more frenetic and edgy. The comedy is so welcome.

Jarmel

Banned
I really expected something as dumb as Mayoiga but far more frenetic and edgy. The comedy is so welcome.

If the comedy wasn't there, it would be absolutely horrid. Tenga and Nico in particular really brighten up the show with their presence. It's interesting but both Okada series this season are largely comedic in nature, albeit different types. I remember Otsuka saying he wanted to show a different side of Trigger with Kiznaiver but it's still thankfully in the same wheelhouse. I'm not sure though whether that means the show will take a more serious turn at some point.

Also the surreal atmosphere reminds me of a lighter version of Paranoia Agent (not just the mascots).

Crocodile

Luluco 5

5onJiQX.jpg

How many episodes is this? This is going towards a TTGL-esque ending with galaxies flying around isn't it?

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: DIU 5

I can't say the family backstory did much for me but I'm always surprised to see the reach of Dio in the story (and I know just from cultural osmosis that continues to be a factor in the future). Really intersted to find out how the new enemy actually knew all about Jotaro and Star Platinum. That's not info many people should have.

Concerto Revolutio 16

I'm not sure what was SO AMAZING about this episode. Seemed super standard *shrug* Ending was certainly happier than I expected though. So did they like steal a significant amount of the water on the planet? That's kind of REALLY BAD for the planet if so.

Mailbox

I've missed about a week of anime, so I'm watching them now.

Luluco Season 2 Episode 2

Those are some sick references, bro.

Lets call it a draw.

Big Order episodes 2 and 3

I'm sorry... WHAT?!

Lautaro

Mayoiga

Usually when people say that a show is stupid but they need to keep watching, I think that they are just using it as a defense so the flaws of a show they enjoy don't reflect on their taste in front of the rest of the forum (basically insecurity).

But this show is stupid, is really fucking stupid. Why no one reacts to Lovepon saying she wants to kill and torture people?! Why no one is losing their shit with the supernatural events happenning?! people just keep rambling about stupid shit and they don't sound like real human beings!

Anyway, this show is stupid but somehow I need to keep watching it... I only hope the reason for their weird behaviours is because
everyone is actually dead or everything is happenning inside Mitsumune's head and all of them are his alternate personalities... but probably they are all just idiots and at the end I'll feel like I just wasted my time

EDIT: btw, that thing at the end
appeared in Mitsumune's dream in the first episode apparently

Danball Senki - 6

Was legit on the edge of my seat during the entire mission.

The show absolutely nailed the tension with Kazu and his difficulties with honing Hunter's sniping accuracy where one wrong move would have meant the assassination of the freaking prime minister.

If this is how things are starting out, I cannot begin to imagine how the stakes in this show are going to raise from here.

Pooya

Lost 5

These characters are just amazing, I can't stop laughing. Next episode looks like to have flashbacks too.

#teamsawyer

it really is lost, but somehow everyone is more of a bumbling moron and it makes less sense. Its hard to tell which of these twists will be the smoke monster just thrown out to distract people

I cannot get over how no one cares that Lovepon is actively trying to torture and kill people and everyone is more worried about if SOMEONE IS A FUCKING GHOST. Its so bafflingly bad I have to assume it was written that way.

duckroll

Lost (Village) - Episode 5

Wow this gets better and better. One thing Mizushima really gets right as a director is how to get people to interact in effective ways. They might be stereotypes, but they're dedicated stereotypes who act in the way which best serves the flow of a scene. I like how they're just going all in on accepting that the situation is just fubar now. Dat cliffhanger tho... lol.

pbayne

For anyone who managed to stomach both; which is the stupider show Big Order or Lost Village? Because from everyone's impression it sounds like Big Order raised the bar of stupidity to an unreachable level.

Jintor

Just got out of the sound eupho recap movie. Amazingly, it was a recap movie, so there pacing was shot to shit. I'll have to double check how much they changed when I get home, but I don't think it was much if at all.

they cut kumiko's fistbump with shunichi, lol

ibyea

Banned
For anyone who managed to stomach both; which is the stupider show Big Order or Lost Village? Because from everyone's impression it sounds like Big Order raised the bar of stupidity to an unreachable level.

Yeah, everything I am reading about Big Order is making Lost Village look smart and artistic in comparison.

jgminto

Lost Village is so beautiful, the whole confrontation scene was just a perfect storm of all these ridiculous characters, paranoia and random accusations, demands for execution, a tangent on what Hyoketsu no Judgeness' name was, sudden sexual innuendo, spectral illusions and not once during this scene was any suspicion cast towards Lovepon. Absolutely perfect.

ibyea

Banned
it really is lost, but somehow everyone is more of a bumbling moron and it makes less sense. Its hard to tell which of these twists will be the smoke monster just thrown out to distract people

I cannot get over how no one cares that Lovepon is actively trying to torture and kill people and everyone is more worried about if SOMEONE IS A FUCKING GHOST. Its so bafflingly bad I have to assume it was written that way.

Or heck, that one guy is accusing a bunch of people for being suspicious but it's like Lovepon's comments are okay and not suspicious at all.

ibyea

Banned
Kabeneri of the Iron Fortress: 3
A more low key episode, but I think it's the best one yet. I think for the first time I am getting a hang on this Mumei character, I don't consider her just a ridiculous fighting machine and I think this episode did a good job in finally bringing decent characterization to her. The most well done part of the episode was the tragedy at the end. I was surprised at how restrained it was considering the people making this show, but I am glad! There was a great deal of impact, and that subtle look of sadness in her eyes after the kill said everything.

TUSR

Banned
Kabeneri of the Iron Fortress: 3
A more low key episode, but I think it's the best one yet. I think for the first time I am getting a hang on this Mumei character, I don't consider her just a ridiculous fighting machine and I think this episode did a good job in finally bringing decent characterization to her. The most well done part of the episode was the tragedy at the end. I was surprised at how restrained it was considering the people making this show, but I am glad! There was a great deal of impact, and that subtle look of sadness in her eyes after the kill said everything.

Loving this art style.

cj_iwakura

I don't know how to feel about Initial D Second Stage... the racing is high octane, and the animation is obviously higher budget, but it feels like it lost its charisma from season 1. It doesn't resemble Shuichi Shigeno's art nearly as much as Season 1's style did.

duckroll

Kuromukuro - Episode 4

This how keeps impressing more and more. This episode shows that even without fantastic production values, action, or mecha, the characters and story can carry it. The character interactions are very entertaining and they're milking the man out of time trope for all it's worth. I loved his reaction to Japanese curry. <3

I think one of the funniest things about this show is how effective but random the special forces troops are. I never expect them, but then they just pop into a scene, there's a real energy to how they take down their (helpless) objectives. In the previous episode the helicopter takedown was really well executed, and here the takedown of the reporters in the mall felt pretty sweet.

Attack on Train - Episode 3

Such edge.

Much grim.

So action.

Wow.

This really is Valraverape Mk-2 in so many ways. Hopefully it doesn't go to the toilet by the end though! Plus, there should be random singing at some point!

Line_HTX

http://www.max-power-ltd.com/max-power-ltd.com/makkusuu~eru_pawazu.html

This is the guy voicing Suzuki. He's a rather well known talent in Japan. Lol.

Let me pull that tweet I linked a couple of pages back...

ChJMIb9U0AA4e-V.jpg:large

Also, that Initial D song comes to mind, lol

Max Power, maximum and higher
Beat them all, let's beat them all.
Max Power, get it on, you got it
Let's get what you belong to~

Dude's literally called max power? Amazing

Yeah, this guy is having loads of fun in both Kabaneri and King of Fighters XIV.

ubique

I've watched The Hakkenden for the first time this week. I knew of the impact episode 10 (Hamaji's Resurrection) had on the industry, and saw some sequences on the booru, but I had no idea it was so powerful in the context of the show.

Hamaji's Resurrection has a really oppressive, feverish atmosphere, with exaggerated use of perspective, like the world's gone out of balance. Lots of canted and high angle shots, usually of a character with their head tilted down or looking away from someone. The characters look extremely ugly (even for Ohira), especially when compared to their design from the previous and subsequent episodes, which have that familiar early 90s anime samurai look. Every visual aspect works in favor of turning this episode into a trip to the characters' inner turmoil, and even the voice acting is noticeably more involved. The sword fights near the end happen in the rain, but it's never just an overlay effect, the characters' feet are sloppily splashing around, water streams down their faces, and the raindrops that hit them are affected by their movement. It's unbelievable.

There's a really disturbing shot of a dead man that reminded me of Aeon Flux for some reason.

The entire show is good, but this episode really made my night sour, and I can't recommend it enough.

Ascheroth

Kuromukuro #4

This continues to really easily be among my favorites of the season. Even without action and mechs, the characters and story can carry it no problem.
And that preview, next episode is going to be so good.

Mayoiga #4

I'm dying. This is the best.
Ketsu-kun keeps delivering even if he isn't on screen, Lovepon levelled up and learned Torture-obsession.
Glasses guy is also moving up my list. He's a walking conflict escalator. He doesn't do anything but being walking distrusting piece of stupidity who thinks he owns the place. So good.
He even assembled the nutcase squad,
who then immediately kidnap McGullible.
And then Masaki proceeds to save him, by lighting something on fire.
Strengthens my belief that she was actually the one who offed Yottsun.

And then we have another giant thing appearing. The penguin is from Mitsumunes ep1 flashback, but is its right side also from him is it mixing with whatever Masaki would see?
And no one bats an eye at Lovepons antics, not even Glasses guy has her on his list of suspicious persons. The best.

blurr

Boy and the Beast

It could've made for a deeper and interesting drama of self discovery and overcoming existential dread through interaction and interpersonal relationships but felt half baked in that regard with its shift to fantasy themes at certain moments.

It had some enjoyable and cool moments nonetheless. Fight sequences were great and
it was very nice seeing Ren train and grow up with Kumatetsu. Ren's attempts to study were welcome moments which reminded me of Wolf Children and The Girl who leapt through time.

ibyea

Banned
Tonkatsu DJ Agetarou: 1
Not sure if I want to continue watching this, since it is not the kind of thing that interests me, but the absurdity in the latter half was amazing and incredibly funny in a good way.

duckroll

Joker Game - Episode 4

This was better than episode 3 but exhibits many of the same problems. This is a show which thinks it is smart and carries itself with that presumption. The problem is that while the design behind the scenario might have a level of cleverness and intrigue in it, the execution of the narrative leaves much to be desired. Here the setup is interesting, and the reveal at the end is more layered than expected, but there is simply nothing inbetween. A good mystery isn't just the premise and the solution though, because the satisfaction is it watching it being worked out. There was nothing of that sort here, which doesn't do the show any favors.

It was clear from the offset that the spy in this story was the reporter, so the expectation that he was prompting information to get the investigator to see what he needed to was there. But the disappointment in how this mystery unravels is that the audience is never fully provided with the essential clue to the motive. There is no mention of opium at all until the report where all is revealed. This sort of shortcut to the answer turns what might be a dramatic revelation into nothing more than lazy exposition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom