• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello anime bros, which are the main shows this season?

There's a lot this season. If you want action and have an amazon prime account, watch Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress.
You want a goofy fun time, watch Jojo, or My Hero Academia. Flying Witch is apparently a really comfy slice of life show.
Trigger's latest shows, Kiznaiver and Uchuu Patrol Luluco are both pretty good.
Oh, and if you wanna watch some enjoyably dumb anime, The Lost Village is pretty fun.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Re:Zero, Bungou Stray Dogs and Magic Joker seem to be filling out some of the decent mid-card fodder.

Also, Sailor Moon Crystal Season III is the most improved show of the season.

Ushio and Tora and Assassination Classroom for you b-tier shonen series.

Clov

The next Aniplex Twitch stream is scheduled for May 13th. Not sure what this one will be focused on. Hopefully not more VAs so they won't have an excuse to ignore my questions.

JulianImp

I watched the first episode of Big Order.

This is already dumber than Mirai Nikki. I don't think Hundred can compete.

Yup, it's a whole new level of dumb... which makes it oddly enjoyable compared to all those shows that try to be serious but fall flat on their faces.

Just finished watching Ep4, and it was so crazy... in the end the pure miko who said she'd become pregnant if a guy so much as touched her ribbon actually got pregant because of that, and to top it all she went through all nine months of pregnancy in like two minutes of air time (and no, it wasn't a timelapse)!

Ladies and gentleman... This. Is. Art!

Yup, it's a whole new level of dumb... which makes it oddly enjoyable compared to all those shows that try to be serious but fall flat on their faces.

Just finished watching Ep4, and it was so crazy... in the end the pure miko who said she'd become pregnant if a guy so much as touched her ribbon actually got pregant because of that, and to top it all she went through all nine months of pregnancy in like two minutes of air time (and no, it wasn't a timelapse)!

Sounds like #1 "Art" Connoisseur firehawk should be informed.

Cornbread78

Big Order ep.3
This is officially a whole new level of craziness, lol. Everything from immaculate conception via bunny ears to heads rolling like Elfin Lied. I swear, if that girl pops out bunnies next week, I'll lose it, lol.

Wanderer5

Lost Village 05

Love-pon's execution fetish has evolved into a torture fetish. Why does anyone co-operate with this girl?

She was really reaching cringe worthy at times in this episode....

Bleh after a decent episode from last week, this episode felt kind of in the dumps for most of it. Dat ending through.

kewlmyc

Mayoiga/The Lost Village 05

5onJiQX.jpg

Fucking lol at that cliffhanger. Also I was kinda fond of the military nerds, but then they decided that going along with Lovepon, the craziest of the bunch, was a good idea. What a bunch of idiots.

ibyea

Banned
Joker Game: 4
Wow, that was truly dreadful. Not even I could take it seriously. The mystery wasn't even that compelling this time. Everything was so tangential to even the bare minimum of what I expected of this show.

ibyea

Banned

WTF

ibyea

Banned
Bungo Stray Dogs: 3
This was a better episode than last time. It had a proper sense of escalation. The episode also managed to have a great comedic punchline at the end. I was definitely not expecting the raid to go in that direction! And it came along with a sensible, heartfelt moment. I wish the show would stop being so repetitive with the flashbacks though.

Wait, they're already at that point? Man, they're rushing through this.

Cornbread78

Lost Village ep.4
Lol, what is up with all the craziness today? Love on is a certified execution/torture nutjob and tries to
kill our MC moron, then a giant penguin animal thing
lol, just lol..

JulianImp

Wait, they're already at that point? Man, they're rushing through this.

You can think of it as the adaptation concentrating the source material's awesome.

Seriously, it's so ridiculously bad it underflows into becoming enjoyable compared to shounen rehashes or edgelord series that take themselves too seriously for their own good (read: not all edgy shows). I'd rank it higher on the absurdity scale than both Mayoiga, which is too weird and not crazy enough, and Hundred, a show where the ridiculous overuse of tropes made it collapse on itself and form a black hole of meh.

I do like how all the characters in The Lost Village are kind of terrible.

Not terrible in a moral sense (save for some of them), but terrible in that I wouldn't want to hang out with literally any of these characters if they were real people.

kewlmyc

Not terrible in a moral sense (save for some of them), but terrible in that I wouldn't want to hang out with literally any of these characters if they were real people.

Pink Goddess seems alright.

Isn't that the point though? What kind of normal, sane person would even go on a "tour to start a new life" in the first place?

Cornbread78

The interactions are just so scattered. The hooker lady in the dress talks about size not mattering, so shirtless guy pipes in with his sexual sarcasm right in the middle of all the craziness. It's hard to keep up with everyones stupidity until lovepon screams out torture or execution!

Kuromukuro 04

Kennosuke reactions and adaptation to the modern world is golden. Koharu is great <3. I really like the characters on this show. They are likeable and have good interactions.

Pretty good episode even without any mech action.

Kuromukuro 3

You know, this has all the things I liked about Hataraku Maou-sama - the fish out of water comedy, the neat action - only more of them and with just about none of the downsides. There was so much good animation this episode, both in action and character moments. Great stuff.

Clov

Dear Brother 08

Well, there was a tennis match in the background of the episode. I guess the anime has completed its transformation into Aim for the Ace.

Partway through the episode now, and... I feel bad for Mariko. I was kind of creeped out by her before, but seeing her birthday party... I just feel sad for her. I should have known better, these types of characters are never what they first seem like in Dezaki's works.

Just T

Ushio and Tora: 31

Didn't really find the Nagare parts interesting tbh. The Asako scene and that whole interaction was straight though.

ibyea

Banned
Lost Village: 5
Mitsumune is such a stupid person, holy cow. And Lovepon just continues to deliver. The amount of concentrated stupidity of the show is amazing.

Gargantia on the Verderous Planet 8

That was a really powerful episode. The funeral procession that extended through the entire episode was a strong focal point around which the personal stories of the characters - Ridget most of all, but also Ledo, Amy, and others - flourished. Pain, sorrow, struggle, hope - it was all strongly conveyed. Murata delivered perhaps the strongest direction to date, with excellent use of lighting to convey the personal emotions of the characters. Ridget sitting alone in the darkness of her office, and then later her address to the funeral procession set to the glow of the sunrise - those were great moments that made me strongly connect to her. The burden of leadership is a heavy one indeed, but it does not need to be borne alone.

One thing I haven't mentioned yet is how Ledo's grasp of the language has been steadily improving episode by episode. This episode he's almost reached fluency. It's a subtle but consistent detail that I really appreciate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom