• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

jman2050

Space Patrol Luluco 5

Yo Imaishi, I don't know what drugs you're on right now but keep doing them.

Trigger saving anime one JUSTICE GUN MORPHING at a time.

I don't understand this at all. There was no "fake out crap" in Hyouka.

Oreki and Chitanda's relationship was made perfectly clear by the end. There was no need for a confession scene or anything for them to go: "all in".

Also, pretentious? Really? A show that's pretentious would be something like Earth Maiden Arjuna. Hyouka was a show primarily about character interactions to make the little romantic aspects it had feel natural. It wasn't trying to preach anything or make a point.

When people say "pretentious", they often mean "I didn't like this" or sometimes "I felt this was too intelligent for me".

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Uchuu Patrol Luluco Episode 5:

So fat thing have yet to fall apart which is a very good thing. Also, I think don't thik Luluco was ever normal, just a hunch here.

Line_HTX

Damn, after 10 years, the complete soundtrack of Haruhi Suzumiya will come out on July 7.

I thought that was already out years ago, unless it was all character songs and insert songs.

Russ T

Banned
When people say "pretentious", they often mean "I didn't like this" or sometimes "I felt this was too intelligent for me".

Ain't it the truth.

Anyway I finally finished Grimgar last night. Had the last three episodes to watch.

God that show is so very... imperfect. But it's often the flawed diamonds that are the most captivating. There's a lot to hate about Grimgar. There's also a lot to love. I want a second season to either cement it as outright terrible or outright great. That wouldn't happen of course... But I still want a second season.

what sequels would anime GAF like to see that probably won't happen anytime (soon)?

Me:
1. Oshiete Galko-chan
2. Nichibros
3. Lucky Star
4. More Oregairu
5. Haruhi show on par with Disappearance

1. Chihayfuru
2. Kamisama Dolls
3. Wake up! Girls!
4. Oreimo
5. Silver Spoon

Narag

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable 5

Ep was pretty hardcore in its consequences but I'm psyched about this burgeoning bromance between Josuke and Okuyasu!

Diamond is Unbreakable 05

Knowing what I know as a manga reader the first half of this episode didn't do a whole lot for me, really.
This story never even gets resolved, thats a lot of time to spend on something like that.
But I guess as a setup to Okuyasu/Josuke/Koichi bro time its fine.

But then REDDO HOTTO CHILI PEPPAZ showed up and fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck it looks so good. I always thought it was smaller tho.

My utapri ittoki otoya collection continues to grow since I got more keychains, memo pad, and a towel yesterday, and also a heero shirt and karamatsu one.
tumblr_o6enkhCc1b1qbxqfpo2_540.jpg

tumblr_o6enkhCc1b1qbxqfpo3_540.jpg

Luluco 05

zyxbjge.jpg
UGSnNX0.jpg
U8EpaWR.jpg

������������������������

Someone just shot to #1 on my definitive list of "Anime Moms who I want to Step on Me"

ChOLpMbUgAASWVM.jpg

My utapri ittoki otoya collection continues to grow since I got more keychains, memo pad, and a towel yesterday, and also a heero shirt and karamatsu one.
tumblr_o6enkhCc1b1qbxqfpo2_540.jpg

That Karamatsu one is painful D:

I'm just watching DJ Agetarou, AnimeGAF, do you have a recommendation? Want to know if there are some hidden gems that I might've overlooked. I'm not a fan of long series. I like fantasy but I prefer slice of life stuff since I'm still learning Japanese.

pbayne

Luluco 5

Fire over fire sounds like an Innou battle reference. And Cure Black is Luluco mom's, that's awesome. Plus, any chance Nova is a girl?Yeart/10. I lost my shit at
"we'll call that a draw."

Kanberi 3

Im not expecting much character wise from Ikoma but cmon give him a more original backstory. Im waiting to see which zombie plot maguffin they'll drag out for the main plot-bets on miracle cure or "impenetrable" sanctuary.

I gotta say, between the two giant women in Concrete Revolutio and Mt. Lady in MHA, giant women will soon come to be associated with BONES.

Not that I approve.

I approve.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 4: Diamond Is Unbreakable Episode 5:

This was perhaps not the best episode to watch during lunch but then again that could be said for a lot of episodes of JoJo.

dan2026

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 4: Diamond Is Unbreakable Episode 5:

This was perhaps not the best episode to watch during lunch but then again that could be said for a lot of episodes of JoJo.

Reddo Hotto Chiri Peppā too spicy for you?

I'm just watching DJ Agetarou, AnimeGAF, do you have a recommendation? Want to know if there are some hidden gems that I might've overlooked. I'm not a fan of long series. I like fantasy but I prefer slice of life stuff since I'm still learning Japanese.

Out of currently airing shows, the best ones besides Tonkatsu DJ are Concrete Revolutio, Diamond is Unbreakable, Kuromukuro, and Tanaka-kun is Always Listless.

Ain't it the truth.

Anyway I finally finished Grimgar last night. Had the last three episodes to watch.

God that show is so very... imperfect. But it's often the flawed diamonds that are the most captivating. There's a lot to hate about Grimgar. There's also a lot to love. I want a second season to either cement it as outright terrible or outright great. That wouldn't happen of course... But I still want a second season.

I still place it pretty high up on my personal list for the year so far, and the more time passes the more fondly I think of it and what it did. I wouldn't be surprised if it made it to my Top 10 list for the year. Such a great watch about personal loss, growth and the forming of bonds.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Kuromukuro 2-3
That was good. Definitely one of the better mecha show. The story was cliche, but the action was good. The interaction between the character was also entertaining

That Karamatsu one is painful D:

Jojo is technically a very long series, but it's seperated into parts that are largely standalone and feature mostly new characters and a new main character each time. Plus they're all great (part 1 is the weakest, but also by far the shortest)

pbayne

Diamond is Unbreakable 5

No memory of this part from the manga so its nice to see it again.
Lol at Josuke fixing his hair and it all bounced at once.

Russ T

Banned
I still place it pretty high up on my personal list for the year so far, and the more time passes the more fondly I think of it and what it did. I wouldn't be surprised if it made it to my Top 10 list for the year. Such a great watch about personal loss, growth and the forming of bonds.

Yeah I actually agree with you completely! There's just also a bunch of stuff that made me cringe and actively dislike the show at times. I really just don't know how to feel about it haha.

Samurai Champloo 6

Japan sure does love its foreigners who want to be Japanese. This is the first time I've seen one whose motivation is that he thought Japan would be a BL paradise though.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Ushio to Tora Season 2, Episode 5:

Well, shit, I wonder if that is actually going to go and haunt Tora at a later time?

Jarmel

Banned
Kabaneri-3
RMeQ8L4.jpg

Oh so the Japanese setting isn't just in name only.
I found this to be the best directed episode of the initial three for a number of reasons. While having a number of Okouchi/Araki stylistic marks, it still felt reigned in enough that it didn't come across as over the top. Keiichi Sasajima and Hitomi Ezoe, episode storyboarder and director, did a noticeably good job here. There's a lot of visual storytelling that helped the characterization. An early example is this scene where Mumei throws the black bullet(?).
Here the Glorious Nippon captain actually tilts his gun edge to deflect the bullet that was supposed to jam his gun. It works to reinforce the notion that he's very skilled and the cut again emphazies that he's deathly serious and has a very strong control on his emotions. Nobody mentions outloud what he did but you can pick it up by seeing how he slightly lowers his gun again and Mumei being impressed.
A lot of the episode was fleshing out Mumei's character in that it shows how sporadic and impulsive her thinking is. I suppose that's to be expected for a twelve-year old girl. The two obvious examples are when she decides to leave the train car in the back and at the end of the episode. She tends to do or say things without thinking, which is an unusual trait for a heroine to have. While Ikoma is supposed to be her 'shield', instead he's acting more as a diplomat between the different parties. It's a somewhat unique partnership between the two up to this point. He seems to overthink things and she doesn't do enough of that. The audience can see that in the earlier episodes too such as when Ikoma was crying and didn't want to board and she pretty much didn't care anyway and tied the hook to him.
I was really surprised how well Ikoma's flashback was handled on a few levels. One being the dialogue in that being both characters repeatedly mentioning that losing your family was normal, it served to downplay any sort of specialness in regards to Ikoma while fortifying the abnormality of their world. It also gave the dialogue a sort of flow that felt really natural. Ikoma's occasional use of third person was another interesting trait in how he mentally separates himself from his younger self. In addition the choice of music was more laid back than I expected, I don't know if that was Sawano's choice or the episode director picking one of Sawano's more 'laid-back' tracks. Either way I was expecting vocals and bombastics similar to the flashback in the opening episode. Finally the visuals themselves were more restrained in how things were presented. It didn't make a grandiose deal out of the scenario ala Eren's mom getting chomped on in AoT or the blood spraying everywhere like in episode 1 of Kabaneri. The hyper level of shading on some shots also serves to bolster emotional impact without coming across as forced.
Another scene I was impressed by was with Mumei asking for blood. The above shot was really well done by having her eyes be obscured and so she gives off an alien feelings. By not being able to see the eyes, the audience and characters in-show can't tell what Mumei is thinking. The show is also framed in a way that she's separate from everybody else via depth of field. It's a really effective means of visually showing how Kabaneri are isolated from other humans in just a quick shot.
This leads into Mumei rushing the
pregnant woman
. I'm not sure if I should be applauding the episode director or storyboarder but they did a really cool trick with the eyes that the show hasn't done before. Mainly in that Kabane are depicted with black scleras and glowing yellow irides, which is what the woman initially has. However when Mumei charges her, there's a very quick couple of frames where her eyes look much closer to normal and the sclera changes back to white. I thought that was a really great visual way of both reflecting the former humanity that these Kabane had as well as what Mumei goes through whenever she kills one of them. It really ups the tragedy of the entire scene.
Again the hyper detailed shading on these close-ups is extremely effective from an emotional standpoint. You don't even need to see her mouth to know what her reaction is.

zulux21

You guys really don't want a Haruhi S3. It almost certainly wouldn't be animated by KyoAni.

doesn't matter to much to me as long as they get the cast back (which is likely since the cast just put out a CD)
kyoani makes nice looking stuff, but plenty of other companies make quality stuff.

and heck...
I would be fine with a J.C. Staff version :p

Out of currently airing shows, the best ones besides Tonkatsu DJ are Concrete Revolutio, Diamond is Unbreakable, Kuromukuro, and Tanaka-kun is Always Listless.

Jojo is technically a very long series, but it's seperated into parts that are largely standalone and feature mostly new characters and a new main character each time. Plus they're all great (part 1 is the weakest, but also by far the shortest)

I'll check those. Thanks.
I recently began to watch anime again... for science. I've been watching old stuff too.

phaze

Amagami SS 26 END
015987a5sm6.jpg

Stalkers unite..
This last episode was a really bizarre amalgamation of all the previous timelines.

---
Final Thoughts:
Pros:
+Intense love scenes.
+Junichi's fever dreams are something else. Ramen eating in particular.
+There's one arc where Jouji Nakata as narrator provides disgustingly cheesy and overbearing commentary to the events transpiring at the screen.
+Tsukasa twist.
+Stalker twist
+Kaoru arc is actually pretty decent I dare say, Tsukasa's at the very least was entertaining.

Cons:
- Outside of the above, t's pretty bad .

Exalted

Big Order episode 3

Haha, this show has really started to increase the stupid levels with this episode. The beginning was also really edgy with the executions and gore. Still can't stop laughing at that last scene where a girl gets pregnant, because the MC accidentally touched her head for a second, you don't see something so dumb every day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom