• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re Zero 06

I fucking told you guys it was
Blue. Her reaction to his demon comment in the previous episode made it so fucking obvious

Lupin III: Island of Assassins/Memory of a p38

Watchin' some 90s Lupin specials of varying quality. This was 1997's, and the style is far from the early Dezaki specials. By now the designs for every character beyond the main cast are very different, and I take it typical of action OVAs of the time. Once again Lupin finds himself up against some ninjas/assassins. The action is actually pretty swift and the plot benefits from largely focusing on one problem. Though the ending doesn't really try to tie up some dangling plot threads.
Lupin still must inhale sulfuric air to avoid activating a lethal toxin, but since they had samples I guess they could just kidnap a chemist to find another antidote.
Point is: don't think about the writing of annual specials too hard.

Like other specials, it also doesn't give Zenigata anything to do. At least Goemon cuts some stuff as usual, Fujiko is largely superfluous.

Finally, I see that online localization compare-man (and translated some game or whatever) Clyde Mandelin did the DVD subtitles. Worth a look.

Kyousougiga 9

CVwsxDm.jpg

You can say that again.

The series is buckling under the weight of its own mythology. There was a scene in here that was a worse exposition dump than the infamous walking in circles scene in the first episode of Fate/Zero. The whole apocalypse nonsense has taken the story in a direction I'm not fond of. This feels like that brand of anime ending where everything goes off the deep end.

anyone here watch the korean animated film Leafie/Daisy A Hen into the Wild? It's on Netflix. Wondering if it's worth checking out.

I caught the back half on TV recently. The dub is quite low-rent, but the movie seemed interesting, if strange. Some punches are not pulled.

Cornbread78

ReZero ep.6
That lil' bitch. Kinda figured it was here from last week and after the whole
ogre story
It makes sense why Ran told him he was foolish for choosing both. Also, this is the second reference to the "jealous witch" now,
is Emilia possibly the witch?
Excellent episode overall though.

Kuromukuro 04

Kennosuke freaking out over the food at the start was hilarious. And it looked so good too!! In general this whole episode was really funny with him slowly discovering things that didn't exist during his era. Like boxer briefs lol. Also seems like this addresses one of the things I mentioned earlier.
If what Yukina's father wrote in his notes is true, history records from Kennosuke's time seem to have been tampered with. It's no surprise that people don't know things from back then.
Now the question is who did that and why.

i love chidori.

I like you Rainy. Me and you will stand strong against all of the haters.

Aki-at

Kuma Miko - 6

Alright this episode got me more than the others in the laughing department but was also really cute. Poor Natsu, all that self imposed suffering, the bear we deserve.

Kyousougiga 10 END

I admire Rie Matsumoto's creativity and industry. And seeing Inari get punched out was cathartic. But overall, I can't say I'm really satisfied with how the story developed in these last several episodes. There's a fantastic emotional core with the family story here, but there's so much extraneous fluff surrounding it that really should have been excised. So much explanation was unnecessary; the 2012 ONAs had the right balance.

Nice try though. The visuals and Shiina's soundtrack were consistently good, at least.

Aki-at

This Chidori hate is getting me interested in checking out Kiznaiver more... so...

Kiznaiver - 2

I like it a lot more than the first episode and the character's interactions with each other are great, but whilst I am enjoying them, the actual premise of the show doesn't interest me. I think I might even be bored by it, doesn't help the protagonist is such a lifeless shell.

Danball Senki 1-4

The CG in this is great. The battles are really good.

I really hope that the villains supreme goal is this:

t4MddXw.jpg

The ultimate cardboard weapon.

Dou Kyu Sei Classmates

Good ol' high school boy-love with plenty of kissing and a few kissing scenes involving tongue. I'd give it 8 DTLs out of 10

Cornbread78

Claymore ep.4
Clare be slaying that yoma like butter. Really though, how did thise two tsundere guards live after that? They show continues to be very dark, both aesthetically and in tone. They also gave Raki a sword to play soldier.... everyone be careful he's done nothing but cry every episode.

Danball Senki W - 9

When will these people learn that super secret companies in a world filled with infiltrating kids and tiny toy robots will most likely be prepared for being infiltrated by kids and tiny robots?

JulianImp

Re:Zero #6
This was the first grateful surprise I got this season (since it took two plus episodes for Kiznaiver to make me like it). The good character interactions makes it really fun to watch even in spite of the constant resets, and I also like how the reset mechanic's being used to present a unique kind of mystery where the MC himself is the victim, and he's also slowly learning about the world and the rest of the cast while he's at it.

I'm also loving that I don't remember any obvious instances of slapstick humor or other related mood whiplashes, which is always a good thing for me. It isn't that sudden tone swings can't be good, but I hate it when things keep hopping around drama/romance/comedy/horror without a decent justification, since it's almost like the writers didn't know how to close out a particular scene and ended up opting for going on a tangent rather than properly resolving a scene before starting another.

sonicmj1

Kuromukuro 1-5

I am really enjoying this show.

It's not breaking the mold in any way. Nearly every element and character in it has been done before in one way or another. We've seen the female protagonist thrust into destiny through sheer coincidence, forced to use her unique power through her connection with a mysterious warrior protector. We've seen mysteriously functional giant robots fighting alien invaders from the sky. We've seen mecha pilots juggling school and world-saving, men out of time, ice-queen rich girls who take limos to school, the absent parent who was researching something connected to the threat the characters now face when they disappeared. Nothing that has happened in this show is surprising.

In spite of all this, the execution has me sit up and take notice on a regular basis. The characters, particularly the two leads, are bold and expressive. Despite lacking any real defining characteristics, Yukine's continual shock and befuddlement at the bizarre circumstances she's been roped into make her weirdly likable. Kennosuke is the best fish-out-of-water character I've seen since Gargantia's Ledo, and the show has had a pretty keen eye for all the individual hurdles he encounters in his efforts to adjust to modern society. The mech battles, particularly the fight in episode 2, are choreographed really well, evoking exactly the sort of samurai flavor that they ought to be going for. The whole package gives me a kind of nostalgic feeling for the sci-fi/fantasy shows that it is so clearly inspired by. I'm also really digging the surprising amount of fun visual gags taking place. Sophie's the only false note for me so far.

It's quickly asserted itself as one of my favorites of the season, along with Tonkatsu DJ Agetaro and Concrete Revolutio.

Major episode 1-4

So a multi-season baseball show following the life of a kid as he grows up, sounds like fun can't wai-

Major episodes 5-6

I THOUGHT IT WAS A STRAIGHT UP SPORTS SHOW THE FUCK IS THIS

3HnSIDK.gif

Jarmel

Banned
Macross Delta-6

I'm tempted to watch Macross Frontier to see if Frontier is as bad as this. Maybe it's nostalgia but I'm finding this a significantly worse watch than Frontier.

Narag

Danball Senki W 20

Both this Artemis tournament and the one in the first show were so good. Great, great fights and unpredictable results so it's a wild ride.

Cornbread78

Random quick question I was thinking about earlier in reference to the minotaur battle in Danmachi and an anime I watched recently that I can't remember the name of, dammit...

Are there any shows that just give you that "hell yeah" pumped up feeling as you watch them or as they come to a close? It might be a little different for everyone, but...

Jintor

Random quick question I was thinking about earlier in reference to the minotaur battle in Danmachi and an anime I watched recently that I can't remember the name of, dammit...

Are there any shows that just give you that "hell yeah" pumped up feeling as you watch them or as they come to a close? It might be a little different for everyone, but...

besides ttgl you mean?

Kuromukuro 1-5

I am really enjoying this show.

It's not breaking the mold in any way. Nearly every element and character in it has been done before in one way or another. We've seen the female protagonist thrust into destiny through sheer coincidence, forced to use her unique power through her connection with a mysterious warrior protector. We've seen mysteriously functional giant robots fighting alien invaders from the sky. We've seen mecha pilots juggling school and world-saving, men out of time, ice-queen rich girls who take limos to school, the absent parent who was researching something connected to the threat the characters now face when they disappeared. Nothing that has happened in this show is surprising.

In spite of all this, the execution has me sit up and take notice on a regular basis. The characters, particularly the two leads, are bold and expressive. Despite lacking any real defining characteristics, Yukine's continual shock and befuddlement at the bizarre circumstances she's been roped into make her weirdly likable. Kennosuke is the best fish-out-of-water character I've seen since Gargantia's Ledo, and the show has had a pretty keen eye for all the individual hurdles he encounters in his efforts to adjust to modern society. The mech battles, particularly the fight in episode 2, are choreographed really well, evoking exactly the sort of samurai flavor that they ought to be going for. The whole package gives me a kind of nostalgic feeling for the sci-fi/fantasy shows that it is so clearly inspired by. I'm also really digging the surprising amount of fun visual gags taking place. Sophie's the only false note for me so far.

It's quickly asserted itself as one of my favorites of the season, along with Tonkatsu DJ Agetaro and Concrete Revolutio.

You are a good man. The execution has definitely been consistently impressing me; between the lively animation, the clever gags, the colorful characters, and the quality banter, it feels like the staff really care about what they're making. Which is always a plus. It does do one thing I really like that I've never really seen before: the melee fights between Kennosuke and the enemy robots. I can't think of another example in my experience of battles directly between a human and a mecha.

Why is everyone watching Danball Senki

Narag has the Power.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
So a Daiso store opened up near me and had lot of japanese candies. Even spotted ramune. Looks like my knowledge from Dagashi Kashi finally paid off.

Narag

So a Daiso store opened up near me and had lot of japanese candies. Even spotted ramune. Looks like my knowledge from Dagashi Kashi finally paid off.

I found Ramune at a local supermarket that shouldn't have had it. I bought some because of that show. Now I'm thirsty for one. I'm consumer trash.

Narag

Danball Senki

Yowamushi Pedal 21

Man, bike racing is serious business. Hakone is shaping up to be a great honorable rival though.

Notably good character art again. Maybe this Yuko Iwasa helps with that; her episode 13 had notably good art as well, and I see she ended up as character designer on the Yowamushi Pedal movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom