• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbayne

Dennou Coil 16-18

Huh guess i called
4-4-3-2 being Isako's brother
. Piece by piece everything is starting to add up.
You could not find a more intense hug between Haraken and his aunt. I really hope the whole act of her taking off his glasses and powering them down was to show he'll maybe stop living in the past and obsessing over Kanna, but somehow i doubt it.

[Insert me at the end of episode 18]
"Wait, no...no...ah shit not Kyokonnononofucknono."

Ascheroth

Danball Senki #29-31

sqo1ksY.jpg

New upgrades, fusion, a giant virtual LBX and now a new tournament. This has it all.
That one's going to be fun, especially with the the way Otacross set up the teams, haha.
And
Saki
is totally Master King, right? lol.

pbayne

Now and Then, Here and There 5-6

And on that day, a wide-eyed pbayne learned what real despair looked like....

Man don't watch this show if you're having a good day, itll instantly sour it. And don't watch it if you're having a bad day either, because youll feel even worse. That said it is a very engrossing watch if you can stomach it.

The first 3 minutes of epsiode 6 were some of the most harrowing shit ive seen. There's a female character in this called Sara and the things that happen to her are unspeakable.
Thank merciful fuck she escaped.

I think what adds to the disturbing feel is how matter of fact all the horrible things are presented as, except for King Hamdo who is a walking definition of insanity. The show has a really disturbing take on child soldiers that have been indoctrinated and feed propaganda yet they still don't enjoy or reveal in what they have to do, you see small cracks in their tough facade that they know the shit they are ordered to do is unforgivable, so they just rationalize it away by saying they have to follow orders. And worst of all Hamdo's plan s obviously delusional ravings of a madman, that water thing is never gonna work. By default the MC almost has to be overly optimistic, just to try and balance things out.

Hundred Episode 6 – The Diva's Love Song
CiCaYdKXEAY-CCK.jpg

Best boy has finally arrived, Im glad we have many more variants now.

Ending dorm scene was really funny especially Emile's line about coming into the boys dorm, lol.

Beach episode...hopefully Frisk comes.

Exalted

Hundred Episode 6

That stupid edgy group has finally arrived in this episode. Was some decent action in the first half of the episode,with them engaging our MC and the gang, with the later part of this episode being mostly focused ob the concert of the idol, heh.

The folowing pic describes Hundred the best ;

Now and Then, Here ans There 5-6

And on that day, a wide-eyed pbayne learned what real despair looked like....

Man don't watch this show if you're having a good day, itll instantly sour it. And don't watch it if you're having a bad day either, because youll feel even worse. That said it is a very engrossing watch if you can stomach it.

The first 3 minutes of epsiode 6 were some of the most harrowing shit ive seen. There's a female character in this called Sara and the things that happen to her are unspeakable.
Thank merciful fuck she escaped.

I think what adds to the disturbing fell is how matter of fact all the horrible things are presented as, except for King Hamdo who is a walking definition of insanity. The show has a really disturbing take on child soldiers that have been indoctrinated and feed propaganda yet they still don't enjoy or reveal in what they have to do, you see small cracks in their tough facade that they know the shit they are ordered to do is unforgivable, so they just rationalize it away by saying they have to follow orders. And worst of all Hamdo's plan s obviously delusional ravings of a madman, that water thing is never gonna work. By default the MC almost has to be overly optimistic, just to try and balance things out.

It's a rather good anti-war series that doesn't pull any punches. The MC and his optimistic nature might seem out of place in that regard, but as you say he's almost kinda needed to balance out the depravity some. Even though him falling short of his goals more often than not just adds some more gut punches.

I think this type of series and the atmosphere it has going for it is also one where I'm in favor of topics such as rape and torture being brought up.

Also, time to watch the OP and ED again. They were pretty great iirc.

pbayne

It's a rather good anti-war series that doesn't pull any punches. The MC and his optimistic nature might seem out of place in that regard, but as you say he's almost kinda needed to balance out the depravity some. Even though him falling short of his goals more often than not just adds some more gut punches.

I think this type of series and the atmosphere it has going for it is also one where I'm in favor of topics such as rape and torture being brought up.

Also, time to watch the OP and ED again. They were pretty great iirc.

Yeah its obviously tackles some very sensitive issues and i wouldn't begrudge anyone who said they were offended or turned away by some of the content. Though I do think the show does handle them in a very constrained, considered way. Like it doesn't resort to sensationalizing the events or use them as shock tactics. Its a very delicate balance that takes considerable care to pull off.

Just a random thought though, if this was made now, you could easily market it as the anti-boy gets transported to fantasy world show.

Wanderer5

Woo Hundred is getting a beach episode next week!:p

This episode was alright, with some nice action actually, and those hunters look kind of cool. I like that sakura even joined in to show some worth at the beginning of the fight.

And of course at that scene at the end lol.

Sterok

Sailor Moon Crystal S3 6

Huh, so Luna-P is Chibi-Moon's Rod. For all the good that did her. I feel sorry for Tellun. She goes through so much work gathering evil energy, gets the Senshi in a pinch, and then gets nuked by Pluto coming out of nowhere. Hard work doesn't pay I guess.

Hundred Episode 6

You know my favorite thing about this show has to be that the two nobodies that lost to the MC and Emile at the beginning of an older episode with no real introduction to them have somehow ended up being a part of the main cast.

TUSR

Banned
Hmm I tried making some red bean paste recently because I was curious how it and various sweet using it as an ingredient taste but, even though I reduced the sugar amount by a substantial amount compared to most recipe's suggestions, it's stupidly sweet. I'll have to try again with even less sugar, otherwise the seemingly fine taste just becomes disgusting to me.
I'm still curious what red bean paste tastes like, hopefully my local market has something.

Cerberus 6

What's sad is I think the core adventure of this is pretty fun but it's hampered by poor production values and not enough evil mofu screentime.

I've seen a few episodes of this and as a fan of Tales games I kinda agree with the former. I could imagine this show being part of that series.

Qurupeke

Hyouka 18-19
JH89Hk5.png

It's happening!
Fun episodes, mostly of Chitanda x Oreki. The first one was actually tragic, but I really liked we got to see this side of Oreki. The second one was crazy theory time, things certainly escalated quickly. I wonder if they'll follow this short stories format for the 3 remaining episodes, I won't be able to handle more teasing though.

WT8RxXB.png
3JtOv7M.png
6Fk8XDD.png

And some more Chitanda.

Mushishi Zoku-Sho 1

Going back to finally finish this off. There really is nothing like Mushishi. Sure, there are some anime that attempt similar subject matter, but nothing that captures the same haunting atmosphere.

Cornbread78

Hyouka 18-19

Fun episodes, mostly of Chitanda x Oreki. The first one was actually tragic, but I really liked we got to see this side of Oreki. The second one was crazy theory time, things certainly escalated quickly. I wonder if they'll follow this short stories format for the 3 remaining episodes, I won't be able to handle more teasing though.

Oh shit. I eagerly await your impressions of the final episode now...

I'm still curious what red bean paste tastes like, hopefully my local market has something.

Honestly, it tastes pretty much like regular, soft-boiled kidney beans...with a ton of sugar. Dunno how similar those beans are to kidney beans, but the taste certainly didn't appear foreign to me.

It's a combination I honestly wouldn't expect to taste well. I'll try again because this first batch of mine was just too sweet and I know i sometimes need some time to warm up to a taste. However, I'm doubting I'll end up liking it.

I made some doriyaki, too, today and that by itself tastes fine. However, stuffing it with such a sweet bean paste when the pastry itself is already sweet goes against my grain.

OceanBlue

Red bean paste is definitely sugary. I like it a lot as filling for sweets but I grew up with it so it could be an acquired taste lol.

Aki-at

Welcome to the NHK - 4

The animation seemed really rough this episode, character proportions were all wrong at times too. Not too fond of this episode since it covers more on otaku culture and gal games but next episode seems like it'll be plenty interesting with the introduction of Satou's old classmate.

I don't think the ending of Hyouka was a tease.
We all know they liked each other, so it's a happy ending. Let me think of an analogy... It's the same thing as when in a movie a gun is fired next to someone's head and you don't see the actual bullet going through the person's skull, but you hear it. In your head you know it happened, a character just got killed. Same as here, you know that eventually it will happen. The whole show was their growth from not knowing each other, to curiosity, to learning more of each other and growing together as they live their lives.
This isn't to say that I wouldn't mind if we got a second season that expanded on everything I talked about, but as I have said before, I was more than fine with everything. As a matter of fact, I still think to this day that the ending of Hyouka is one of the best and most beautiful endings in anime, period.

Hundred episode 6

Every shitty LN adaptation needs to have engurish words to sound coorrruru

Turace on

Then of course all of the bad guys need to give their attacks/weapons some edgy ass name

"I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU WERE ABLE TO DEFLECT MY DEVIL'S SWORD BLACK FLAME DRAGON CYCLONE OF KNIVES AND CHAINSAWS ATTACK"

And they all laughed like madmen while being cocky, as is expected of shitty just arrived rivals.

Then the episode ends with all of the girls basically screaming

"NO MY EGGS ARE BEING PLACED, THE PENIS IS MINE"

"MY OVARIES DEMAND THE PENIS"

"KEEP YOUR FILTHY HANDS, HAYATO'S PENIS WILL BE MINE"

it's redunk. 10/10 would Hayato wakes up with girl on top of him and every other girl who wants to fuck him enters his room at the exact same time he wakes up for a hilarious misunderstanding again

Cornbread78

My Bride is a Mermaid ep.24
My-Bride-is-a-Mermaid-Episode-24.jpg

Best bro hug ever, lol

Kai-kun's deadly ass boil, lol. So much ridiculous stuff in this show, but still really funny.

Hundred is the best. Truly the voice of the NEW generation.

Starting a petition for Hundred to be put in the Smithsonian as the defining piece of art of our generation.

If I see a kid like reading One Hundred Years of Solitude I'll straight up tell them

"Stop reading that award winning book, One Hundred Years of Solitude would be better without the One the Years and the Of Solitude."

"But then all that's left is Hundred"

and I'll place the book in their hand alongside a bottle of wine

"Write me a 10 page essay about the merits of secret childhood friends"

Aki-at

Kiznaiver - 3

It's kind of strange, the premise does nothing for me, the character dialogue on the other hand and how they react to each other are enjoyable. Everytime Sonozaki appears and starts talking about her system I kind of just switch off but every time Tenga or Nico are present the show has my attention.again. On a side note I swear I heard the Wilhelm scream once or twice haha.

Cornbread78

Hundred ep.6
CctqKx1UMAEf2q7.jpg

https://youtu.be/c3dSOYRsLQg

I immediately had to boot up and listen to the true anime Sakura song. Upon my search in YouTube I found out there is a Hentai named "Sakura" also... That brings me to the final 2 mins of this episode which made it all worthwhile. Thank you Sakura....

Neon Genesis Evangelion 1 [Watchbet] [Start]

It's hard to formulate any sort of steadfast opinion off this first episode. To be honest I am still decompressing what happened in the first episode. The show throws you in fast with little explaination. Which is fine. I am sure they will explain at least some things going on in the near future. I will commend the animation. I've neither loved nor hated 90's animation style. It was just something always there that never really affected me greatly. However, I really do like the animations in this show and they are done well in this first episode. Production values are definitely there.

I think the only real complaint I had with this episode was Shinji. He's kind of a whiney kid. The show never spent any time to make me relate or emphathise with Shinji and his relationship with his father so the whole crying sequence in front of the
Eva
didn't feel deserved and I mostly cringed at that part. It could be looked at as a strength if you look at it from the perspective of them wanting to get the story going quickly. It's a nitpick to be sure, but it was a small thing I wasn't thrilled about.

I guess we'll see what happens as we go on, but it definitely has me intrigued. Also strangely enough, it makes me really want to finish Code Geass and finish the second season. Hahaha.

Neon Genesis Evangelion 1 [Watchbet] [Start]

It's hard to formulate any sort of steadfast opinion off this first episode. To be honest I am still decompressing what happened in the first episode. The show throws you in fast with little explaination. Which is fine. I am sure they will explain at least some things going on in the near future. I will commend the animation. I've neither loved nor hated 90's animation style. It was just something always there that never really affected me greatly. However, I really do like the animations in this show and they are done well in this first episode. Production values are definitely there.

I think the only real complaint I had with this episode was Shinji. He's kind of a whiney kid. The show never spent any time to make me relate or emphathise with Shinji and his relationship with his father so the whole crying sequence in front of the
Eva
didn't feel deserved and I mostly cringed at that part. It could be looked at as a strength if you look at it from the perspective of them wanting to get the story going quickly. It's a nitpick to be sure, but it was a small thing I wasn't thrilled about.

I guess we'll see what happens as we go on, but it definitely has me intrigued. Also strangely enough, it makes me really want to finish Code Geass and finish the second season. Hahaha.

Shinji acting like he does in Evangelion is akin to what an actual human teenager suddenly being asked by his dad out of nowhere to pilot a robot to fight monsters would act like. His relationship with Gendo is one of the show's greatest strengths and a key part of the story.

Hyouka 18-19

Hyouka is great. I just really wish we had a NA release of some blu-rays. Sigh.

I don't think the ending of Hyouka was a tease.
We all know they liked each other, so it's a happy ending. Let me think of an analogy... It's the same thing as when in a movie a gun is fired next to someone's head and you don't see the actual bullet going through the person's skull, but you hear it. In your head you know it happened, a character just got killed. Same as here, you know that eventually it will happen. The whole show was their growth from not knowing each other, to curiosity, to learning more of each other and growing together as they live their lives.
This isn't to say that I wouldn't mind if we got a second season that expanded on everything I talked about, but as I have said before, I was more than fine with everything. As a matter of fact, I still think to this day that the ending of Hyouka is one of the best and most beautiful endings in anime, period.

I agree. As an ending it was fine. I really wanted more, but I understood what they were trying to do with the final episode and scene, so at the very least I didn't feel "cheated".

Shinji acting like he does in Evangelion is akin to what an actual human teenager suddenly being asked by his dad out of nowhere to pilot a robot to fight monsters would act like. His relationship with Gendo is one of the show's greatest strengths and a key part of the story.

I am watching the dub as that's the only real way I can watch it. So, maybe he just comes off as more whiny in the show because of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom