• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbayne

12-sai.: Chicchana Mune no Tokimeki 5

Despite love triangles pretty much always being dead on arrival, they actually manage to somewhat suspend your disbelief that Tsutsumi might actually have a chance. Though by the end its a bit obvious that its a dead end because Hanabi and Takao are like the absolute perfect couple.

Gundam SEED Destiny 01

Time to get this over with. Not really much time on the new characters so can't really say much. Hope Shinn turns out alright, though his hair reminds me of Kazuki or Ryo. Oh, and Athrun is rocking some weird glasses for whatever reason.
My expectations are pretty low, so I think I'll be able to find this entertaining.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
People who don't like Hyouka 11.5 probably watched a low quality rip of it or something. If the resolution of your video source was greater than 160x144 than you were duped into watching a pirated version.

/XX/

People who don't like Hyouka 11.5 probably watched a low quality rip of it or something. If the resolution of your video source was greater than 160x144 than you were duped into watching a pirated version.
This was the perfect time to post your .GIF of the Game Boy Camera version! :-D

Jintor

deku 6

this shit is great, though i could've done without the fucking flashback to something that had happened like 10 minutes earlier

Macross Δ 05

Rz5xOIZ.jpg
Does Mikumo's bitch mode ever turn off?I guess the other girls in the group just got used to her never being satisfied. She the type of girl to say something like: "Oh yeah her singing was good, if you like shitty singing."

I secretly love Mikumo. Goddess.

phaze

Getter Robo Armageddon 07-09

I'm glad someone finally asked the important question of "How in the fug do you survive nuke blowing up in your face." Better than Oda writing confirmed.

With that said and even with Go's origins finally explained, I'm not quite confident this show didn't forget most of the plotlines it set up in its first three episodes. Saotome's "death" and Hayato's involvement with him remain unexplained even though the latter is there available to provide the answers.

And I'm not sure if this is something that stems from my unfamiliarity with the franchise and the with how Invaders "work" in particular but Saotome's entire character confounds me. In the first three episodes, it's been made rather clear that he was working against Stinger&Cohen and bad evil aliens yet after the timeskip, he works in unison with them. Obviously, it seemed like he was devoured by the Invaders in episode 3, so I wanted to peg him as just a soulless shell and a puppet of the Stinger&Cohen duo but his behaviour makes him look like anything but that.

At least Ryouma is back.

Thoraxes

Macross Delta - 05

AkkTW2u.png

Given how everything has played out so far
, I wonder how Freyja will come to generate the fold waves and unify with the group during performance. It's pretty clear from the other episodes that her affection towards Hayate is what triggers her rune and the ability to harmonize with the rainbow sound Mikumo generates. Mikumo keeps pushing Freyja in hopes that she'll figure it out on her own, but I think she's going to need a shove sooner or later.

But then you have that end where she totally gets the wrong idea about Mirage. Wonder what will bring her to her senses? I hope we get more Windmere backstory too. That crater was nuts.

I just hope Freyja doesn't get Ranka'd. Also wanna find out
what the hell
Mikumo really is.

W

Jintor

K-on s1 e1 -Rewatch-

Um... I'm not entirely sure why I'm rewatching this other than I was struck by a passing urge, but I at least am going to watch it without subs just to give myself the excuse (and force myself to somewhat) practice my listening. It's also had the weird side effect of letting me pay more attention to the show itself, something which I apparently didn't do the first time I watched this, which was... god. I don't know. Half a decade ago at this point? More?

Maybe I'll bother taking screenshots of this later or something. It's kinda interesting comparing this to KyoAni's later directorial outings; it feels like it's retaining that fast and loose style of quick cuts from Lucky Star (4koma origins, clearly) but there's a much stronger urge to ground the comedy in a sense of place and time, unlike Lucky Star which I think was much, much more sitcom. Kind of like they split the difference between that style of directing and the 'heavier', weighty style they've adopted for Disappearance, Hyouka, Sound etc.

Interestingly feels like a lot of the animation is surpisingly 'loose' and... god, I don't know. Sketchy? Scribbly? Fluffy? I've been thinking about other cute girls cute whatever shows and I still feel like K-On is a cut above just in terms of direction. It's doing weird things in terms of perspective, camera angles, little things all the time. The reliance on the OST is also a lot heavier than I realised back in the day.

also, I don't think I'd heard it at the time, but the song they play to entice Yui into the club is a cover of Tsubasa no Kudasai. Makes sense!

phaze

Getter Robo Armageddon 11
zgettertvp0t.jpg

A very apt name I dare say.

With the story approaching climax it's much easier to achieve but still, this was easily the best episode since the whole timeskip thing happened.

And I guess the Saotome situation was explained ? I think ?

Getter Robo Armageddon 11

With the story approaching climax it's much easier to achieve but still, this was easily the best episode since the whole timeskip thing happened.

And I guess the Saotome situation was explained ? I think ?

Mutha lovin'

STONER SUNSHINE.

OVA is worth it for that one moment. One of the GOAT super robot finishers.

As for Saotome, again, I recommend checking out the manga to understand him better. Or New Getter Robo, which from what I understand follows more closely to the original manga.

Jintor

K-On! 2-5 -Rewatch-

- K-on! is a lot more loony toons than I remember. Maybe I only really recall s2 these days? There's so many moments where they cut straight into chibi/sd form for a quick sight gag or a reaction shot.

- Forgot that Yui is an idiot savant when it comes to... well, anything. Straight 100 on the make-up exam but she forgot how to play guitar. When she relearns she manages to isolate a guitar part and then play it hearing it ONCE on a shitty casette tape! Wtf yui.

- Forgot how fast they introduce Sawako's 'true form'. The funny thing is that episode is almost completely normal up until that point and then they go completely off the rails once her secret gets threatened to be revealed.

K-On! 2-5 -Rewatch-

- K-on! is a lot more loony toons than I remember. Maybe I only really recall s2 these days? There's so many moments where they cut straight into chibi/sd form for a quick sight gag or a reaction shot.

The first season of K-ON has pretty loose and rough animation, with plenty of obvious 4-koma gags. It's only in the bonus episode, 13, that the show develops a more thoughtful and subdued direction style that carries over to dominate the second season.

Jintor

K-on 6 -Rewatch-

I completely forgot that they made basically custom PVs to play over the concerts so they didn't need to do complex instrument playing/save the 'impact' for more climactic scenes (insofar as K-on can be climactic)

The first season of K-ON has pretty loose and rough animation, with plenty of obvious 4-koma gags. It's only in the bonus episode, 13, that the show develops a more thoughtful and subdued direction style that carries over to dominate the second season.

An interesting thing I noticed was the use of OST to hook a bunch of 4komas together into a single coherent scene. I think the most obvious to me was when they're studying at Yui's house and Ritsu is trying to figure out a bunch of different ways to be disruptive.

Yowamushi Pedal 22

Between Onoda wanting to return Minami's water bottle during the Interhigh, mirroring Gon wanting to return Hisoka's badge after the Hunter Exam, and Midousuji taking on some aspects of Hisoka's creepy personality, only twisted in an even more slasher film villain manner, I get the feeling that the manga author might be a fan of Hunter X Hunter. Not that there's a direct reference, but these little resemblances are uncanny.

Anyway, the Interhigh is finally underway. Time for 40(!) episodes of this 3-day race!

Danball Senki W 28-30

This marks the end of the whole Detectors plotline, and boy does the twists come into effect, which makes me curious of how this will be treated once the show is over.

There was a line that Hiro states that puts the whole Slave Player thing into perspective to give you an idea of the identity of the detectors, why Slave players are being used and everything.

On the other hand it's like... did it have to be this way. It's like being let down rather hard, and this is more from the character's perspective
Even if he didn't kill anyone from his actions, that person still committed acts of terrorism, which isn't what you would've expected from him

It's also weird that for a while it's like... they forgot Kazu's existence, up until slave players are back. And now he comes back with a scar, a new 'do, and fucking muscles.

Thanks to all this, the common sentiment among adults are that LBXs are trash, they're nothing but mistakes. Children of course disagree, which pains me because they'll become what they rebelled against, but that isn't something we have to worry about in this show.

Tuck

Think I'm gonna give Danball Senki a try, since so many people seem to be enjoying it. But first I must finish Paranoia Agent!

Kyousougiga 9

The series is buckling under the weight of its own mythology. There was a scene in here that was a worse exposition dump than the infamous walking in circles scene in the first episode of Fate/Zero. The whole apocalypse nonsense has taken the story in a direction I'm not fond of. This feels like that brand of anime ending where everything goes off the deep end.

Only gets worse. The story collapses completely into utter nonsense. Character motivations don't make sense. The exposition and melodrama are unbearable.

Familiar of Zero Series 3 ep 1-4

Holy hell this is untouchable nonsense. I wrote a long whine about how stupid it was previously but I returned to see if I was just in a bad mood, nope it's worse than I remembered. Even after watching so many formulaic misunderstandings in other shows these ones really are lining the bottom of the barrel with a nasty streak a mile wide. It makes me actively mad that I'm expected to emapthise with Saito and that the show conspires to always make him right.

This season doesn't even have the weird WW2 apologias to keep it interesting although of course we got a sepia toned flashback to the dude who kinda, sorta felt bad about burning an entire village to a crisp.

Only gets worse. The story collapses completely into utter nonsense. Character motivations don't make sense. The exposition and melodrama are unbearable.

Yeah, as I later posted, I was unsatisfied with Kyousougiga's ending. It ran into a typical anime problem of bungling endings with confused and convoluted storytelling. Still admire the craftsmanship in the visuals and music, and am glad an ambitious project like it was made.

Watch Sketchbook for the superior Okada SoL, which also doesn't operate with one big gimmick.

Since I haven't seen Sketchbook yet I can't speak to its overall quality, but all the images I've seen from it have been on the mildly unattractive side, mostly because the characters come from the Saber Marionette school of design.

Hmm I tried making some red bean paste recently because I was curious how it and various sweet using it as an ingredient taste but, even though I reduced the sugar amount by a substantial amount compared to most recipe's suggestions, it's stupidly sweet. I'll have to try again with even less sugar, otherwise the seemingly fine taste just becomes disgusting to me.

phaze

Amagami SS + 11-12

I'm not sure which is the more hilarious. The fact that
Junichi proposes
because of one of the most ridiculous misunderstandings I've seen. A misunderstanding that would need one simple question to clear. (Seriously, who the fuck doesn't ask "For how long" when told his girlfriend goes abroad ?) Or the fact that only
during his proposal did he stop calling his bride to be
"Senpai".

Despite having eternal stalker or thecovert psycho that is Tsukasa on the roll, Haruka might still be the cray crayest of them all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom