• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.
New Strike Witches anime for 2016 confirmed again.

We are living in a world which made three season, three OVAs and one movie of Strike Witches possible. Humanity is on fire.

Cornbread78

Anohana ep. 9-END
5ehc4bF.gif

Amazing ending to this series. Just wow, I'm still trying to clear my eyes and nose. There were so many little moments building up to the final episode that really drove the narrative and how it was going to end. From Menma's father trying to console her mother and explain that
it's OK not to forget about her, to cherish her, but to move on at the same time.
It was done in a very tender way, which was not the case earlier in the show by him Obviously, this was brought on by the kids actions as they
tried to grant Menma's wish
, but it was positive character growth for him, as well as her little brother when they got him involved. There were a bunch of other things like the lamps flickering, to the moth dropping to the ground, to the whole
hide and seek narrative at the end
In a beautiful way, they really encapsulated both the mental and physical aspect of that ending. This was just too good.

I was really caught off-guard that Menma was really granting
Jinta's mom's wish, not her own
I didn't even think of it previously, but it really fits who she really was when alive. Jinta had called her out on it a few episodes earlier and in this case, she did what she needed to do. This was a sharp contrast to what everyone else in the group was doing which led to that emotional moment with all of them together near the end. It was easy to get caught up a little there as well as it was well scripted and animated, with great ambiance behind everything. Then that ending with
the cards Menma wrote and the hide and seek game ending, tears man, 'dem tears...
Just beautiful man..... This was excellent..

Thanks for everything today.
Tomorrow I’ll go to heaven.
Please be my friends until the very end

“I love you. It’s the “I want to marry you” type of I love you.”
Damn you.... dammit..

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Ushio and Tora Season 2, Episode 7:

Yea, I would call this the best shonen of the season because holy shit Hakuman No Mono has taken this series to new levels. Seriously holy shit how do you even fight something like this?

Kabaneri 5

"How do we convey to the audience that this guy isn't Japanese? His accent and ridiculous 18th century European hairstyle might not be enough."

"Let's have him make up suru verbs in conversation and assume everyone around him will understand them, like 'inventshita.'"

"You're so clever."

"I don't work here."

"I'm still using that idea."

Luluco 7

i s c r e a m 2 4 / 7

Jarmel

Banned
Kuromukuro-6

Found this pretty dull. Maybe it's the CGI or boring music (for 3/4ths of the fight) but this almost put me to sleep multiple times. Ending does raise some interesting questions though as I'm now wondering whether Ken
has amnesia and is an actual alien too

Eumi

its a shame Kiznaiver has to exist alongside Luluco. If they ran in different seasons I'd probably be praising Kiznaiver a lot more for its plot and deep characters, and yet here I am, marking out over garbage.

Wonderful, wonderful garbage.

Ushio and Tora 33
If this show has done anything right it's establish Hakumen as a legitimately terrifying villain.
I love Hakumen as a villain. It's the old as earth "evil incarnate" archetype that's been done millions of times before, but perfect executed to the point where it's probably the best example of the trope I've seen in any fiction. I love how it's not only super powerful, but also frighteningly clever. It could just raze everything to the ground at any point, but it chooses slower and more methodical plans to instill maximum despair and terror. I fully expect that Hakumen even benign sealed in the first place only happened because Hakumen chose to let itself be sealed (though probably not completely unharmed when it made that decision)

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 4: Diamond Is Unbreakable Episode 7:

A better episode then last week but not really much else to say here this episode other than it feels like we are sliding into Stand User of The Week territory once again.

Aki-at

Luluco - 7 aka
Kill la Kill - 26

I binged this series after dropping it at episode 1 just to see this episode, this was... magnifique.

(I could have done with some more
cameos
though)

Ushio and Tora Season 2, Episode 7:

Yea, I would call this the best shonen of the season because holy shit Hakuman No Mono has taken this series to new levels. Seriously holy shit how do you even fight something like this?

After reading the manga its much harder for me to enjoy the anime now, they removed a lot of content, some of it being extremely plot important content.

After reading the manga its much harder for me to enjoy the anime now, they removed a lot of content, some of it being extremely plot important content.
Yeah, the manga is definitely better. Most of the cuts aren't too bad (Western Yokai arc is definitely the most glaring cut), but even the noncritical monster of the week stuff they cut comes back at the end with a huge payoff in the final battle. I'd highly recommend people who enjoyed the anime to read the manga as well

Narag

Concrete Revolutio 19
Felt like a different show that was crossing over with ConRevo. Feels like the fences are being mended between the Bureau and Jiro particularity as Satomi begins moving actively towards his goals rather than passively.

Fafner 2

There are some interesting ideas in the world setting here, but they're too poorly established to have any real impact. I didn't even know
the assumption on the part of the island civilians was that they were in present-day Japan, so the revelation that Japan doesn't exist anymore came as a "huh" instead of a shock.

Qurupeke

Diamond is Unbreakable 7

A bit fast paced, but it actually was pretty awesome with all these quick, slick transitions. The show is really nailing it on the presentation. The manga version is good but the anime is even better.

Concrete Revolutio 19

Yo can we get a spin off about the Shiba Detective Agency? Because Jiro and Raito make for a fantastic buddy cop duo. Anyway, really solid episode that's rather touching in a few ways. It had its funny moments too, such as the somewhat unflattering comparison between politicians and four legged beasts. There's a real theme of growing up in Concrete Revolutio and how you can't go home again. Some people can take a morally grey world, and some people really can't.
The fact that Fuurouta just split makes me think things aren't going to end well for everyone's favorite ghost. Kikko may or may not be losing some aspects of her powers as well.
Things are being set up for a big finale.

But now we must brace ourselves, and hold tight.
18651.jpg

He approaches.

Narag

Concrete Revolution Episode 19

Jiro continues to seem like the only one that understands Fuurouta,
glad Fuurouta returns next episode

I must have missed when Judas had Jaguar's watch
which fortunately managed to be brought up in this episode, though the girl didnt want to return to her time :( I thought she would

Intriguing plot overall.

Earth-chan had it since she took it from him way back in episode 8 when she and Jiro confronted Jaguar, Daitetsu, and Rex FE.

phaze

Bungou Stray Dogs: 6

Besides the usual terrible comedy, didn’t find the episode interesting. Eh, know it already has a second season coming but at this rate don’t know if I’ll stick with it. Don’t really care for these characters and outright can’t stand a couple.

If you don't like the humor or characters then that's probably a wise decision. I don't think the "main" plot is regarded with much reverence
Kuromukuro 06

I'm with Jarmel on this, this was painfully dull. Could have been a 5 minute fight scene at the end of the past episode.

Luloco 07
The finale of the previous season was better.

It was still pretty good.

------
This first ED for Assasination Classroom I stumbled upon is pretty neat. Might dabble in the show proper.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Luluco 7 is probably the worst piece of self wankery I've ever had the displeasure to watch. What if I've never watched Kill la Kill before? I've now been forced to watch a complete episode that makes no sense because nothing about it stands up on its own. And if I did have the unfortunate luck to watch Kill la Kill this episode just opens up old wounds. Utter codswallop.

Narag

Luluco 7 is probably the worst piece of self wankery I've ever had the displeasure to watch. What if I've never watched Kill la Kill before? I've now been forced to watch a complete episode that makes no sense because nothing about it stands up on its own. And if I did have the unfortunate luck to watch Kill la Kill this episode just opens up old wounds. Utter codswallop.

I thought it was a nice apology for Kill La Kill. "Sorry you sat through 24 episodes of stupid shit. Let's make something that matches your opinion of how dumb the show was." I felt pandered to as someone who dislikes KLK.

Cornbread78

My Bride is Mermaid ep. 25-END
lJBBh8p.jpg

Its rare that I can appreciate a series that uses a very episodic approach, but it was very fitting for this show as it keeps the crazy and zany moments coming throughout. With that being said, there was never a central plot to the series until the final episode and it led to a very satisfactory closing. No, there was no kiss or anything like that, this is definitely a comedy first, but it kept the main theme of the show intact with the same craziness and comedy until the very end. This one was soo good, that I'm really going to miss it!

Eumi

I thought it was a nice apology for Kill La Kill. "Sorry you sat through 24 episodes of stupid shit. Let's make something that matches your opinion of how dumb the show was." I felt pandered to as someone who dislikes KLK.

Wait, I love kill la kill and felt super pandered to. Did they creator some kind is Schrödiger's Cat of pandering?

duckroll

There's no "pandering" here. Luluco just shows that regardless of what you think of something Trigger made, that thing will factually be improved by being condensed into a 5 minute joke. With Imaishi, less is more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom