• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crocodile

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure - DIU 7

Just as in last episode where I had a hard time imagining that Koichi's mom would fall for that con man or even believe for a second he was telling the truth, I had a hard time believing that even in a sneak attack that Hazamada and Surface could take Jotaro and Star Platinum LOL. Also how the fuck does everybody know what Star Platinum does? That should be info very few people should have. Even if we assume the guy this episode got the info from RHCP's Stand Master that still leaves the question of where that dude got it from. Episode was good but weaker than most of the previous one. Transitions were ridiculously on point though.

DIO flying

This still annoys me. That was so random and out there. Jojo does a lot of wacky shit but that felt like it broke my suspension of disbelief. The OVA handled that a lot better.

Luluco 7

This episode felt a little sloppy? Kudos on them for actually going through with what we thought they would do last episode though. LOL on the planet burning to the ground and the insert song. LWA Planet next episode?

sonicmj1

Typical Imaishi Garbage with Flavorless "Humor" 7

I love this show. Its sensibility reminds me of Teekyu quite a bit, in the sense that it feels like anything can happen at any time. It's wonderfully absurd, but unlike Teekyu, it has the length to let things breathe sometimes, and the budget to indulge in the occasional flourish of intense animation. This episode was no exception, starting absurd with its knockoff Ogikubo Yelp-hunting, and escalating from there.

At this rate, Season 3 could be the best season yet!

Neon Genesis Evangelion 3 [Watchbet]
%5BMashirosub%5D%2BNeon%2BGenesis%2BEvangelion%2B-%2B03%2B%5B480p%5D_001_28533.png

Yeah, yeah. Just beat up the dude that's saving your butt. Whatever. No big deal.

Man Shinji kinda goes crazy at the end there, huh? I guess since I don't have much to add, I guess I'll say here that I really dig the OP of the show. Really gets me pumped for the episode.

The Evangelion OP is probably one of the most iconic memories I have from watching TV as a child. Even though I watched it in Portugal and it was dubbed, they had the decency to leave the track untouched. I get goosebumps when I hear it.

Neon Genesis Evangelion 3 [Watchbet]

Yeah, yeah. Just beat up the dude that's saving your butt. Whatever. No big deal.

Man Shinji kinda goes crazy at the end there, huh? I guess since I don't have much to add, I guess I'll say here that I really dig the OP of the show. Really gets me pumped for the episode.

Cruel Angel's Thesis is probably the most popular anime song in the entire medium.

I liked that song long before I even watched Evangelion.

Cornbread78

I swear that anime makes me think every Japanese is taking constant DNA tests of their family members hoping that one isn't blood related so they can fuck them.

Lol. I have no idea. Rin is supposed to be the "love interest" in the show. They did show a bunch of images of Rin and him together in interesting places (in the PVs), so we'll see what happens. Besides, the plot sucks anyhow so we're just watching it for crazy..

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Get rekt, Ushio.

I never thought Ushio was annoying until someone here mentioned it. That awoke me to his shittiness. Kind of hope everyone's dead after that laser blast from Hakumen.

I'm pretty sure Cruel Angel's Thesis has been the #1 song in Japan for Karaoke for well over a decade. Attack on Titan and Frozen might have beaten it once or twice.

Theonik

It's not complicated. We just want to make it complicated. Society sucks because humans spend more time arguing over what something means rather than doing what they all instinctively understand they should do. There were good guys and there were bad guys. Justice was when the good guys kicked the bad guys' asses. Where did it all go wrong? Please bring back the golden age of superheroes. I don't know what to believe in anymore Jiro-san!
See, this is why Over Justice had the right idea all along.

I'm pretty sure Cruel Angel's Thesis has been the #1 song in Japan for Karaoke for well over a decade. Attack on Titan and Frozen might have beaten it once or twice.
They have been yeah.

Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebelion R2 1-2

It's been a while since I watched the first season. After watching a few episodes of Evangelion, I got the urge to pick this show back up and finish season 2. So far, the second season is off to an interesting start and I am ready to see where the show leads me. OP isn't as good as season 1's I feel, but that's okay. Seeing Lelouch not
being himself
for the first few minutes of the first episode was weird at first but seeing him make his grand return in the second episode was really enjoyable to watch.

I look forward to alternating between this and Evangelion.

JulianImp

JoJo Part 4 #7
Yet another fun episode. I think that girl with the long hair will probably go yandere mode for Koichi or something, since she had a stalker feel about her, and I believe it's her silhouette that shows up alongside him in the OP.

While Jousuke's stand is still a punch ghost, I like its special ability since it adds lots of versatility; his friends having weirder abilities is pretty good as well, since Echoes can do some pretty imaginative stuff with sounds and even The Hand can do cool things with its ability to rend space.

Aki-at

Mirai Nikki - 1

The concept of the game is cool, but I can already see the show is descending into stupid insanity times infinity. Will watch because I need a guilty pleasure.

Shonen Maid Episode 5

The scared kid was the best one, he needs more screentime and love.

Its always good seeing Madoka and Chihiro mom past scenes, I guess he sees raising Chihiro as a makeup extension promise to her. Good

Luluco 7

These OP changes are getting more aggravating with each season. I hope the final one just has a bunch of loud noises layered over each other.

Oh hey, Kill la Kill.

Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebelion R2 1-2

It's been a while since I watched the first season. After watching a few episodes of Evangelion, I got the urge to pick this show back up and finish season 2. So far, the second season is off to an interesting start and I am ready to see where the show leads me. OP isn't as good as season 1's I feel, but that's okay. Seeing Lelouch not
being himself
for the first few minutes of the first episode was weird at first but seeing him make his grand return in the second episode was really enjoyable to watch.

I look forward to alternating between this and Evangelion.

You should have watched this immediatley after you finished season 1 for the maximum effect of wondering what in the world was going on in the first episode. :p

JulianImp

Also, I didn't expect that kiribread hadn't seen AnoHana yet. While we don't agree over other sentimental shows such as Angel Beats, I've got to say I agree with him on AnoHana wholeheartedly.

Melodramatic as it was, I actually got to care enough about the characters to cry during all the sad scenes, and I like it when shows manage to convey the characters' feelings to me. Comparing this with Angel Beats, in AnoHana I got to see the story exploring the whole cast while AB had lots of silly slapstick and side characters that ended up amounting to nothing in the end, with stuff such as abusing random tragic pasts to try and make me sypmathize with the chraracters. In comparison, AnoHana used a single tragic event to shape its cast in different and (mostly) believable ways, which was way better than "I was happy, but then I suffered
and died
".

The Lost Village 07

Nonsensical bullshit of the episode goes to -

"Good thing it's a Ghost and not a monster, that would be bad"

????????????

The dumbest group of mother fuckers alive continue their downward spiral into total inane idiocy.

And they
LITERALLY BURN HER AT THE STAKE WHILE WATERBOARDING HER I CANNOT FUCKING BELIEVE THIS SHOW

The Lost Village EPisode 7
tumblr_o759ioLRck1qbxqfpo1_540.png
tumblr_o759ioLRck1qbxqfpo2_540.png

When will Speedstar's past be revealed, I feel like we really need to know why he is so in love with Mitsumune to even go as far as crafting the possession and seduced idea. Its great how he looks out for Mitsumune even with Mitsumune easily deceived by all thats going on :(
but then the punch, please dont hate Speedstar :(

The Toki/Mitsumune thing :(

kewlmyc

Lost Village/Mayoiga 07

Decent backstory for Mitsumune, but dear god, everyone else except for Mitsumune, Lion, Nanko, and Masaki keeps being a freakish psychopath for no reason. I know they're all a bunch of freaks to even agree to go on the trip, but the lengths they'd go to torture someone based on the world's flimsiest evidence is baffling.

Can't believe I'm still watching this and even looking forward to new episodes. I guess that shows that the mystery is engaging to a degree.

The Lost Village 07

Nonsensical bullshit of the episode goes to -

"Good thing it's a Ghost and not a monster, that would be bad"

????????????

The dumbest group of mother fuckers alive continue their downward spiral into total inane idiocy.

And they
LITERALLY BURN HER AT THE STAKE WHILE WATERBOARDING HER I CANNOT FUCKING BELIEVE THIS SHOW

Good lord. Glad I got off this train.

The Lost Village 07

And they

All right, I'm glad I stopped watching this after 2.3 episodes.

Jojo Diamond is Unbreakable - 7

Pretty scary Stand this episode. Not much to say other than that and the fact that Echoes has now been added to the OP

Next episode is a two-parter and is also apparently one of the better chapters, so looking forward to that one.

FluxWaveZ

Gintama: The Movie: The Final Chapter: Be Forever Odd Jobs
Amazing film that encompasses pretty much everything that makes Gintama great. A surprisingly melancholy story, with the world being a post-apocalypse after a five-year time skip and Gin's death.

Loved seeing all of the new character designs and how they changed (if at all) in the future.
The time shenanigans got a bit crazy and convoluted at the end, but it works perfectly in the context of Gintama because it only serves to solidify the themes of friendship the anime typically goes for in a heavy-handed but entirely welcome fashion. It's also interesting how they created an entirely new sub-plot in Gintama that would basically underly the entire series for this movie, and still managed to resolve it s an independent work.

It's crazy how this series consistently starts with dumb hijinx that devolves into serious business and ends on a very poignant note, all interspersed with humor and executed effectively.

In short: absolutely loved it.

RCG7fro.gif

Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection F

dbz-resurrection-of-f.jpg

Frieza saw Goku's gold hair and thought "I can wear that way better than that monkey." And then he did, all over his body.

This is it, the last DBZ film left for me to watch. And for the most part, it's ending on a high note. First I'll talk about the general stuff and what the film does right.

Frieza has been resurrected by his minion and now plans to exact vengeance upon Goku and Vegeta for his previous defeat. Premise is simple, to the point and progresses the story and the development of its characters. It also gives us some notable character interactions that help compliment the film, particularly the first half.

The animation, though still very good, is a step down from Battle of Gods. I say that largely because of the CG that pops up during the film. It's way too noticeable and it kinda sucks TBH.

The fights are also good although the first half being better than the second. Gohan, Tien Krillin, Piccolo, Jaco and Master Roshi (If he's here, why isn't Yamcha here) taking Frieza's forces is easily the best part of the movie for me.

That said this film has problems. Very noticeable ones with one potentially impacting the series going forward.

The second half is largely brought down by a lack of tension. Never did I feel the same sort of feeling that I got when Goku fought Frieza on Namek in F. It doesn't help that Goku doesn't seem to recognize the severity of his sworn nemesis coming back from dead.
At least it bites him in the ass.

The fight with Goku and Frieza, though still enjoyable, is nowhere near as good as it should be. Golden Frieza and Super Sayian God Super Sayian Blue are hyped up but completely fail to meet up to them. They're just kinda introduced with little foreshadowing and not helping is how insignificant Frieza's golden form is in the grand scheme of things. The CG is used quite a bit during this so it brings it down.

Vegeta is straight-up pointless during this. He spends most of the time standing and not doing anything (though Goku being a ball hog doesn't help) and when he does get a chance to shine it only lasts around five minutes and he doesn't even get to finish Frieza off. He's also inexplicably a Super Sayian Blue as well. What happened to Super Sayian Red is anyone's guess.

And then there's how Frieza is defeated.
Frieza essentially ragequits and blows up the Earth, killing Vegeta as well as most of the human race and technically winning the day. Or at least he would if Whis didn't have a reset button, undoing the damage and ensuring the Dragon Ball franchise will never be able to have any sort of tension with a serious villain, short of that villain being able to prevent the reset button from actually being pressed. To top it all off, Goku ends up being the one to kill Frieza cockblocking what should have been Vegeta's crowning moment.
It feels like a copout, kills a lot of tension that Super could have thanks to a device that makes it so that failure really has zero consequence and left me very unsatisfied with how it ended, much like Vegeta.

Also Gohan one OHKO'd by 1st form Frieza. That's also a thing.

It might sound like I didn't like the Resurrection F, but I did. It's still entertaining, particularly the first half of the film despite the second half having some considerable issues.

And with that I'm officially done watching the DBZ Films. It took longer than it should have but nonetheless I've done it.

Mailbox

Luluco Season 3 Episode 1

All the references man.

Trigger, you magnificent bastards

Big Order 5

He fucks his sister, the pregnancy thing is dropped for no reason, super perverted light beams, and dumb romancing and fights.
Music isn't horribly handled this time.
Better than the last 2 Episodes.

Still can't get over how the art and animation are significantly worse than Future Dairy

Cornbread78

Guilty Crown ep.1-3
687474703a2f2f312e62702e626c6f6773706f742e636f6d2f2d6d7439575947526561304d2f557a456d5a626a6c6c35492f41414141414141414152632f5f576e4b3634385f394c342f73313630302f696e6f72695f7368755f6775696c74795f63726f776e2e706e67

Ok, I'm still trying to wrap my hands around what I'm watching right now, but It's a pretty interesting concept, so I'm game for now. Although, I can tell that there are death flags all over this series between Shuu and/or Inori which makes me sad after what I watched today..

After the first episode I thought Shuu was going to be a little more manly, but nope, not him.... wel, he did grab to class reps boob, lol. Oh well, I see this series getting pretty dark, as was seen in the first episode. Oh, the OP and ED are pretty dope

Yowamushi Pedal 25

KxqXUJr.jpg

It actually ended up being eight minutes later.

Draggy pacing may be a hallmark of sports anime, but it's particularly poor when done with cycling. With a sport such as baseball there are natural stopping points in the flow of the game. With cycling you're constantly moving forward towards a goal, and when it takes a half-hour to cover 300 meters over which the bikers are supposedly going incredibly fast, it becomes eyeroll-worthy. Sure, they threw in a couple backstories as well to help pad out the time, but they didn't really tell us much interesting about the characters except that they struggled really hard. And in the end, it all comes down to who can scream their lungs out the loudest, which is so boring. I am rapidly losing the will to continue this. It comes off poorly compared to a show such as Haikyuu, which handles its characters and sports action much better.

Squishy3

Gintama: The Movie: The Final Chapter: Be Forever Odd Jobs

Amazing film that encompasses pretty much everything that makes Gintama great. A surprisingly melancholy story, with the world being a post-apocalypse after a five-year time skip and Gin's death.

Loved seeing all of the new character designs and how they changed (if at all) in the future.

The time shenanigans got a bit crazy and convoluted at the end, but it works perfectly in the context of Gintama because it only serves to solidify the themes of friendship the anime typically goes for in a heavy-handed but entirely welcome fashion. It's also interesting how they created an entirely new sub-plot in Gintama that would basically underly the entire series for this movie, and still managed to resolve it s an independent work.

It's crazy how this series consistently starts with dumb hijinx that devolves into serious business and ends on a very poignant note, all interspersed with humor and executed effectively.

In short: absolutely loved it.

RCG7fro.gif
Now finish the latest season and then debate whether or not to pick up where it left off with the manga because who even knows if it'll get finished.

I did. This is hell. It's so good and it's ending ;_;

Easily the best thing about the movie is you can tell they put their all into making it thinking it'd be the last they'd get to make of Gintama.

Danball Senki W - 20

Holy crap I didn't expect Asuka to actually out and win the dang World Tournament.

Now her LBX with an already super-strong finishing move has a super-strong CPU to go along with it.

The next time the crew fights against her is going to be crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom