• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

If Her Flag Breaks ep.12-END +OVA
HISLK41.jpg

Well, the OVA was the best episode of the series by far. A little ecchi and a little fun. Although, that "almost kiss" scene was confusing. Is she or isn't she his sister. I say that because the ending was so damn convoluted and weird that it just downs the entire experience. Yes, they at least try to explain everything, but I could only hear the teacher speaking from Charlie Brown. Oh well, done of the comedy was good, but the sometimes awkward tone kinda hampers total enjoyment for me at least.

Sterok

Netoge 6

Ah studying. The greatest enemy of a student online gamer. You'd think Rusian would have the easiest confession of all time seeing what his current relationship is. But of course he has to forget that to her they're already married.

Mailbox

So Ah My Buddah!! is now on crunchyroll (for some reason).
I might do a hate watch of it later. In the mean time, I still need to finish up valkyria chronicles and catch up on anime I've missed, speaking of which:

Re:Zero episodes 4-6

I actually like how they handled the second set of resets here. The show fully takes into account that a lot of development between episodes becomes lost between characters and we properly see how Subaru reacts when things he's done to get close to people gets swept away. (That is to say, its obvious he pushes through the emotional pain and puts on an act at times). Considering this is a 2 cour show, I'm really interested to see how much harder it will be for him as his relationships progress. Like, how would he feel if he kissed Emilia and then died shortly after, losing all that happened? Its that sort of thinking that keeps me attached to this show. Also, the death scene in episode 5... just... gruesome.

Surprisingly enough, I also like the new characters introduced in this arc too. I honestly thought I'd hate them, but they are filled with enough slight twists to the characters as well as enough intrigue to be both interesting and rather likable. I'd normally hate characters like the drill loli, but the fact that she seems to know much more than she's leading on and the fact that she's very no nonsense as well as the good chemistry from her and Subaru makes her rather enjoyable to have on screen. Overall, still loving this series. You know you're really enjoying a show when you binge and when your all caught up, you feel disappointed and sad that there isn't more to watch immediately. That's what I felt here.

Sakamoto episode 4

If I was a better man who had more pride in himself, I'd probably drop this. Its not really all that funny, and just kinda... boring. Not necessarily played out, just not very entertaining to watch. It's just not enjoyable.

If Her Flag Breaks ep.11
Ok, what just happened?
virtual world? Erased memories? Why is Manami never affected? This makes no sense..
They completely did a 180 on the plot that they had established previously with the council, etc. Not sure what to make of that change this late in the game....

I'm so happy to see that you got this far.

The next 2 episodes... Oh man.
Oh... yep, It get so much more insane!

Edit:
If Her Flag Breaks ep.12-END +OVA

Well, the OVA was the best episode of the series by far. A little ecchi and a little fun. Although, that "almost kiss" scene was confusing. Is she or isn't she his sister. I say that because the ending was so damn convoluted and weird that it just downs the entire experience. Yes, they at least try to explain everything, but I could only hear the teacher speaking from Charlie Brown. Oh well, done of the comedy was good, but the sometimes awkward tone kinda hampers total enjoyment for me at least.

She is.
The ending was the most damn hilarious WTF-ery I've seen so far in anime. Just a whole bunch of random bullshit happening over a matrix themed Eva BS fest. I swear a dragon randomly appears too.
Its something that you experience and hate a bunch, but after a while you look back at fondly as that weird thing you once watched.

Fafner 1

I appreciate that this episode did not get bogged down in exposition. Unfortunately, it's so adverse to explaining things that it fails to properly establish the characters or the situation, thus neglecting to give any hook or emotional investment for why I should care. Hopefully Exodus will be worth tolerating 25 episodes of this.

Aki-at

Kabaneri - 5

Well I guess Mumei is 12, kids going to be idiots I suppose. Good episode and not a still in sight, I think, only disappointment is how the show has ended on a cliffhanger 4 out of 5 times.

Captain America: Civil War

Best Spiderman film, oh yeah guess some other stuff happened too.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Man, Re:Zero is a really slow burn at times but I'm so into the story that it would be so much better if the full season was out. I want to know what happens next!

Captain America: Civil War

Best Spiderman film, oh yeah guess some other stuff happened too.

Oh yeah, I posted about how I wasn't super excited to watch it but it was my best friend's pick. Forgot to post my thoughts:

- Spider-man was great. I wouldn't mind watching a movie with this young Peter. Audience got a kick of him and so did I. Probably the highlight of the whole thing for me tbh.
- Movie was 1hr too long. The last 3rd of the movie draaaaagged.
- I did not like the ending.
- Why was this a Captain America movie, and not an Avengers one again?

Man, Re:Zero is a really slow burn at times but I'm so into the story that it would be so much better if the full season was out. I want to know what happens next!

I never expected this to be quite the interesting show, I don't think it's hit its stride quite yet and the reset sort of thing was done as a pay off in stein's gate so we'll see if it pays off in the end. Thankfully this is going to be a 25 episode show so it's a little less likely that we'll all pissed at the ending for such a slow show. But it's impressive how it can keep up intrigue even with some clear foreshadowing in this section.

Fafner 1

I appreciate that this episode did not get bogged down in exposition. Unfortunately, it's so adverse to explaining things that it fails to properly establish the characters or the situation, thus neglecting to give any hook or emotional investment for why I should care. Hopefully Exodus will be worth tolerating 25 episodes of this.

It does go a little overboard on the lack of exposition. Well, at least the second half does get somewhat better. And then the prequel OVA and movie improve a lot, so there's more to look forward to than just Exodus.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Kabeneri - 05

Oh man was that piano music on the nose when Mumei acted like a bitch when they were strategizing.

For how many of you proclaimed Mumei to be such a better protagonist than Eren, she sure is trying her best to trump his rage-boner and stupidity.

e: Or well, I think most compared Ikoma to Eren. Either way Mumei is becoming an increasingly obnoxious moron.

I hope we are, but Mumei's behavior sure isn't helpful in that regard.

Well, this is more about that one guy getting into her head and pushing her buttons for some reason.

This is a Captain America movie because it continues and concludes the storyline from The Winter Soldier. It can't help but also be an Avengers movie because Steve pretty much outright lives with them and manages them as team leader.

Aki-at

Oh yeah, I posted about how I wasn't super excited to watch it but it was my best friend's pick. Forgot to post my thoughts:

- Spider-man was great. I wouldn't mind watching a movie with this young Peter. Audience got a kick of him and so did I. Probably the highlight of the whole thing for me tbh.

- Movie was 1hr too long. The last 3rd of the movie draaaaagged.
- I did not like the ending.

Same here, his 15 odd minutes of screentime was enough to get my hyped for the next Spider-Man movie. Just hope it doesn't suffer from the reoccurring Marvel trend of shitty big bads, because Spider-Man's rogue gallery is probably my favourite comic baddies along with Batman's.

Cornbread78

I'm so happy to see that you got this far.
The next 2 episodes... Oh man.
Oh... yep, It get so much more insane!
Edit:

She is.
The ending was the most damn hilarious WTF-ery I've seen so far in anime. Just a whole bunch of random bullshit happening over a matrix themed Eva BS fest. I swear a dragon randomly appears too.
Its something that you experience and hate a bunch, but after a while you look back at fondly as that weird thing you once watched.

Yeah, it was sooo far out there, lol. I mean, I know they were trying to keep up with that while fairy tale they kept putting little tidbits of in the story, but it played out in such a nonsensical way... That near kiss thing was just as messed up after the reveal the previous episode...

Russ T

Banned
Civil War Spider-Man is legitimately my personal favorite incarnation of Spider-Man.

Granted, I don't read the comics. Only watched the various movies and TV shows throughout the years.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Kabaneri has really taken a hit in quality the past few episodes, both in story and animation. Kind of disappointing. Also there's now a titan. Sweet.

Tuck

I Can't Believe its Not Attack on Titan! - 5
Continues to be a lot of fun. Villagers reaction to Mumei being out of it was a little overdone. And actually, Mumei in general was taken a bit too far. Its clear the guy pushed her buttons and got in her head, but its a significant deviation from her normal badass character, and so it was a little jarring.

Still enjoying the hell out of this.

duckroll

I remember seeing people cry about it not capturing the gravitas of the comic when the first trailers came out. Then I read the comic and realized it was god awful.

No you don't. I think you remember people trolling you, and as an innocent cat you took it the wrong way. No one uses the word "gravitas" and "Civil War" in the same sentence when talking about the comic. It's a fucking Mark Millar book!

John Blade

Can't believe I am slowly watching through Gunslinger Girl Il Teatrino. I having mix feeling of this show. Start bad but actually get a bit better now. Now, try to find a show in my back logged to go watch next to keep my attention.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Spiderman and Black Panther: the origin. Featuring Captain America, Iron man, Ant Man, Winter Soldier, and other heroes who haven't got their own movies for some reason. Also featuring Stan Lee as cameo
Better action choreography than batman v superman. I think both of them failed to deliver their own big theme and just want some reason to show superheroes fighting against each other. I enjoy the action scene, Black Panther and Spiderman was cool, Aunt May become the most attractive aunt for some reason. But yeah, it was an okay movie

Cornbread78

Anohana ep.5-8
Man, I'm really enjoying this anime so far. The characters all have personality, they are unique and they are portrayed in a very believable way. I was afraid they were going to bang down the door with some really heavy handed drama, but instead the show has focused on how a group of friends deals with the
death of a close friend
years later. I mean, yeah, the characters have had some tears flowing, but it has been in a very natural way, especially the moment for Jinta.

That tone I was thinking about is a lot like Cross Game, but not quite as sad so far.

Quasar

Anohana ep.5-8
Man, I'm really enjoying this anime so far. The characters all have personality, they are unique and they are portrayed in a very believable way. I was afraid they were going to bang down the door with some really heavy handed drama, but instead have focused on how a group of friends deals with the
death of a close friend
years later. I mean, yeah, the characters have had some tears flowing from the characters, but it has been in a very natural way, especially the moment for Jinta.

My first 'anime that made me cry'. Though I did watch whilst still grieving for a lost family member.

Russ T

Banned
Only when Matthew Vaughn strips away all the garbage from them and make fun movies from the outlines. Otherwise they're trash too. Millar is trash-tier.

Hahaha.

I'm a big fan of Mark Millar hate. I don't think I've ever experienced anything by him, but it seems like when people hate him they really hate him. THUMBS UP.

Cornbread78

My first 'anime that made me cry'. Though I did watch whilst still grieving for a lost family member.

Dammit, you caught that before I fixed all those errors, lol. Working and typing doesn't always work.

I haven't found it too sad as of yet, but thete are three episodes left, so I'm interested in how they close it out.

Actually, tone-wise I think the show is a lot closer to Little Busters, especially during regrain.

More people need to watch Little Busters.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I just finished watching Shirobako.

My life will never be whole again if I
don't see the girls finally make their anime
. I want more. I NEED MORE!

Thought I was going to try an watch a few eps of a bunch of shows, but I got hooked and will try to finish this one first:

Food Wars! 4-14

I'm really enjoying this as a light quick watch. I feel like the episodes are done super fast despite some of the battles taking three whole eps. I love seeing Top Chef style challenges posed towards Soma and the others during the training camp(catch their own ingredients, cook tired, serve tons of people, etc.). I also liked the few twists they threw in to make Soma imperfect in his cooking.

Cornbread78

Thought I was going to try an watch a few eps of a bunch of shows, but I got hooked and will try to finish this one first:

Food Wars! 4-14

I'm really enjoying this as a light quick watch. I feel like the episodes are done super fast despite some of the battles taking three whole eps. I love seeing Top Chef style challenges posed towards Soma and the others during the training camp(catch their own ingredients, cook tired, serve tons of people, etc.). I also liked the few twists they threw in to make Soma imperfect in his cooking.

Perfect warm-up foe Soma2 in about 6-7 weeks from now.

Big Order 01-03

This is like someone took Jojo and Code Geass but made them way way worse. If it ends up like Mirai Nikki I might pick it up again just to watch some entertaining hot garbage.

Mailbox

Big Order episode 4

UGH, this show just gets worse and worse as it goes on.
I honestly think it'd just be meh if it wasn't for the horribly out of tone and far too loud jazz music all the damn time. In the first 3 episodes I just found it out of place, but this episode really made me hate it a LOT.

Also jesus christ how big are those girls nipples? I mean, come on, sure she's cold in that non-outfit but no one that young has nipples that stuck out that much.
The whole stopping the nuke thing was dumb.

This show is just bad.
This show + the music it uses makes it insufferable.

Brave Witches coming fall 2016.

http://w-witch.jp/onair/

More strike witches means more animegaf fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom