• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aki-at

Kill la Kill was the first thing I did with my PS4 and made me happy I owned one.

JoJo: Diamond is Unbreakable - 7

Man this was a fun episode, even if we're going to Stands of the week, at least they had a pretty enjoyable one with a very JoJo style conclusion to it all.

Anohana ep. 9-END

About time you watched this ;p

Oh, and kimi to natsu no owari shourai no yume:
http://mikehattsu.blogspot.com/2015/12/anohana-bridge.html

Great news for us UK plebs. Anime Limited working to distribute Funimation titles over here. Highlights already are Yona of the Dawn, Barakamon and Show by Rock.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-05-13/anime-limited-to-distribute-funimation-titles/.102072

Barakamon? Nice, will get.

Concrete Revolutio 19

I feel like I missed whatever point this episode was trying to make beyond catgirl falling in love with someone who was evil but had one moment of justice so that means that person was probably ok and
the prime minister is your typical "I oppress mutants because I am one" type.

Narag

Concrete Revolutio 19

I feel like I missed whatever point this episode was trying to make beyond catgirl falling in love with someone who was evil but had one moment of justice so that means that person was probably ok and
the prime minister is your typical "I oppress mutants because I am one" type.

I'll have to go back through it later if/when I write about it but it seemed thematically in line with the idea of how complicated the idea of justice really is, particularly given the callback to episode 2 Fuurouta breaking down over the idea.

phaze

Big Order 05

The first 5 minutes were the most :puruzi thing I've seen in a very long while.

And what the hell happened to the pregnancy thing ? That was the only reason why I suffered through 04, absolutely disgusting even for a hack job series like this.

This is a really awful show and I've wasted enough time on it as it is. Dropped.

phaze

I feel like that was the point to demonstrate how terrifying the society she lived in was. Everyone there had themselves brain jacked to make them love their work. It can also be assumed that their brains were also wired to think that thinking about going against that way of life is considered blasphemous.

"Assuming" is a very slippery slope.

And she barely went against the grain. Just uttered two uncalled for questions. Not enough for me to buy her own father instantly wanting to bury his kitchen knife in her guts, even if he was indeed wired to think of those questions as blasphemous.

explain

standard animegaf tbh
Bath scenes

And light beams.

Light beams everywhere

BD version might be of interest to you.

JoJo DIU - 07

Still not happy that this is in stand-of-week mode but this episode was fun. Pacing is good when the fights are over in one episode. And yeah those transitions are really neat.

duckroll

I'll have to go back through it later if/when I write about it but it seemed thematically in line with the idea of how complicated the idea of justice really is, particularly given the callback to episode 2 Fuurouta breaking down over the idea.

It's not complicated. We just want to make it complicated. Society sucks because humans spend more time arguing over what something means rather than doing what they all instinctively understand they should do. There were good guys and there were bad guys. Justice was when the good guys kicked the bad guys' asses. Where did it all go wrong? Please bring back the golden age of superheroes. I don't know what to believe in anymore Jiro-san!

Szadek

Big Order - Ep. 5
Suddenly the anime goes full ecchi for like 5 minutes. At least I that's what happend, the beams of light made it impossible to tell what the fuck was going on.
Also, the entire Pregnancy sub plot is suddenly gone, because why the fuck now?
After that the shows tries to be serious and fails horribly.
The episode ends with a fight scene and even more inconsistent super powers.

The anime was always horrible, but now it also gets boring. Not a good compination.

Kyuur

Luluco S1E1-S3E1

Inspired to quickly binge this with reactions. I didn't even realize Imaishi had something going right now, so thank you. Just brilliant.

Also I think Before My Body is Dry is probably one of the greatest tracks ever created. I would be happy if it literally cameo'd in every anime series ever.

pbayne

12-sai.: Chicchana Mune no Tokimeki 6

Time for my AOTS
that isn't Jojo
. I think that says more about me than the quality of the show though lol.
These kids are weirdly written. They act appropriate for their age but show more emotional maturity at times than a lot of older characters in similar shows. They actually managed to pull off a good love triangle that didn't drag and had a nice conclusion, bravo.

Lol at the guys racing to "win" Hanabi, i just sighed. Fuck Big Order or Lost Village this is the real contender for weird out of place dialogue. There's one joke in this episode that doesn't just kill the atmosphere in the scene it suplexes it, shoots it dead then buries it with explosive and concrete.

So good show remains good. Show i look forward to he most every week.

Clov

Wasn't a big fan of Kill la Kill at all, but I enjoyed the newest Luluco episode. Imaishi is good when it comes to really dumb humor.

Qurupeke

Kabaneri 5
2TIenBf.png
Mumei is getting worse and worse, just like the show. It's like there's a constant need for a dumb character, and now that trust issues are over, she plays that role. Giant Kabane thing was hype though.

phaze

Jojo 07

I actually liked the mechanics of the fight this week but I really don't get that ending, why did Hazamada's stand switch off just because he himself was pinned to the ground ?

pbayne

Jojo 07

I actually liked the mechanics of the fight this week but I really don't get that ending, why did Hazamada's stand switch off just because he himself was pinned to the ground ?

Stands are linked to a users spirit irrc. Ergo if the user is knocked out, incapacitated or hurt too bad, the stand stops working. Though a lot of stands function on their own separate rules so don't take that as gospel. In conclusion=the rules are whatever Araki needed to advance the story at the time.

Eumi

Jojo 07

I think it's still like a normal stand even though it possesses a physical object, so if the user is restrained or interrupted the stand gets deactivated.

phaze

Stands are linked to a users spirit irrc. Ergo if the user is knocked out, incapacitated or hurt too bad, the stand stops working. Though a lot of stands function on their own separate rules so don't take that as gospel. In conclusion=the rules are whatever Araki needed to advance the story at the time.

hurt too bad ? Jojo's Stand was working when he was coughing blood, had broken bones and laid on the floor with his heart nearly stopped.

I think it's still like a normal stand even though it possesses a physical object, so if the user is restrained or interrupted the stand gets deactivated.

What even constitutes "restrained" ? Koichi's stand had the fraud guy in lock and punched him a good few times just an episode ago. I swear I could dig up a few more examples of this were I to subject myself to SC again.

Since when has making sense ever been necessary for Jojo?
It was supposed to make sense this time !

Cornbread78

Big Order ep.5
Pk, now that was something. Eiji has control over everything in hid domain, but really has no power over some people. Now x his imouto
is also an even more powerful order than him?
yeah... bad guy council is still stupid.

Poor Eiji x Rin... What could have been. Same for baby Eiji, it's a dad day we didn't get a baby..

Eumi

What even constitutes "restrained" ? Koichi's stand had the fraud guy in lock and punched him a good few times just an episode ago. I swear I could dig up a few more examples of this were I to subject myself to SC again.

Shh. Shhhhhhhh. It makes sense. Just don't think about it, stands are perfectly designed. Heirophant green cut Jotaros leg open in his first appearance. Keichos Bad Company somehow let him break in and out of a prison instantly without anyone knowing. Everything in JoJo is fully explained and there are no inconsistencies anywhere.

Araki isn't the best writer.

pariah164

So far this season:

Anne Happy - CAUGHT UP - So we have (slight character/story spoilers):
Ultimate Bad Luck, Ultimate 'How Are You Still Alive?', Ultimate Tragic Love, Ultimate Bifauxnen, and Ultimate Poor Direction. It's great. It's reversed DanganRonpa.
I love wacky slice of life goodness so damn much. I'm in for the season.

Bungou Stray Dogs - DROPPED - Great animation, but I'm not enough of a Japanese literature nerd to stay invested. Watched three episodes. Not for me.

Kiznaiver - WILL WATCH - It's bookmarked, I just haven't got there yet. I'm watching this for pretty much the same reason everyone else is. I loved Kill la Kill, but I refuse to go in and compare it to KLK. They're different beasts.

Mayoiga - WILL WATCH - I love me a good mystery anime. It looks promising. Again, bookmarked, just haven't watched yet.

Re: Zero - WILL WATCH - Pressed by my significant other to give this one a shot. Will do since I rope him into my slice of life stuff.

Sakamoto Desu ka? - INTERESTED IN - My friend insists I'll laugh my ass off at this show. Not sure I trust her, but may watch one episode.

Sansha Sanyou - CURRENTLY WATCHING - Seriously, I have episode 2 on pause right now. Lots of slice of life this season. What a time to be alive. This show is really good; animation is cute, it's funny, and has an interesting premise.

That's it for me so far.

Kuromukuro 06

Interesting. Makes more sense actually,
giant robots usually have pilots and all. I don't think Ken is betraying anyone, but I think this goes back to a topic we touched on last week, about where these robots came from. Maybe the piece Ken is driving belonged to these guys.

Quasar

Animelab added the old Berserk series. So now I can finally see it. My only exposure so far is that one movie thats on Netflix.

Quasar

Anohana ep. 9-END
5ehc4bF.gif

Amazing ending to this series. Just wow, I'm still trying to clear my eyes and nose. There were so many little moments building up to the final episode that really drove the narrative and how it was going to end.

Yeah. That show really did move me.

So for me seeing the movie was interesting (which I thought was an excellent streamlining of the show). I wondered if I'd be moved to tears again already knowing how it played out. I was. But then for some reason anime is the one medium where I can be easily moved to tears. Live action film and tv has basically never done it (well there's a handful of examples that I can remember).

JulianImp

Commenting stuff in bold:
So far this season:

Anne Happy - CAUGHT UP - So we have (slight character/story spoilers):
Ultimate Bad Luck, Ultimate 'How Are You Still Alive?', Ultimate Tragic Love, Ultimate Bifauxnen, and Ultimate Poor Direction. It's great. It's reversed DanganRonpa.
I love wacky slice of life goodness so damn much. I'm in for the season.
My main gripe here is that the characters are flatter than the construction guy sign.. they all do their signature thing over and over and over, and that's all there is.

Bungou Stray Dogs - DROPPED - Great animation, but I'm not enough of a Japanese literature nerd to stay invested. Watched three episodes. Not for me.
Yeah, it was a pretty meh show for me. Might pick it up later if people end up liking where things go, but I didn't fin the first couple episodes entertaining at all.

Kiznaiver - WILL WATCH - It's bookmarked, I just haven't got there yet. I'm watching this for pretty much the same reason everyone else is. I loved Kill la Kill, but I refuse to go in and compare it to KLK. They're different beasts.
This show and Re:Zero were two grateful surprises I got this season. I actually likened this a lot more to Danganronpa than Anne-Happy with how crazy things got right off the bat, and I'm glad the show's actually developing its cast quite well.

Mayoiga - WILL WATCH - I love me a good mystery anime. It looks promising. Again, bookmarked, just haven't watched yet.
Fixed. Mayoiga's as much of a mystery anime as Another was, which is to say, not at all. It's more about horror, but it hasn't become so-bad-it's-good yet, unlike Another.

Re: Zero - WILL WATCH - Pressed by my significant other to give this one a shot. Will do since I rope him into my slice of life stuff.
Don't give up after Ep1A, since things get better immediately afterwards. The lead can get a bit annoying, but it isn't nearly as much of a generic RPG isekai show unlike what I had originally expected.

Sakamoto Desu ka? - INTERESTED IN - My friend insists I'll laugh my ass off at this show. Not sure I trust her, but may watch one episode.
Sakamoto lampshades perfect MCs to the point it's all it does, which was a real letdown for me. I'd rather have stuff like Nozaki-kun, where the show constantly pokes fun at anime stereotypes, but the larger cast means it can mix and match more than "Sakamoto being cool while everybody else wishes they were him". Maybe it could've worked for me as a 7-minute show, but a whole 21 minutes of "Sakamoto's soooo cool" is too much for me.

Anohana ep. 9-END
5ehc4bF.gif

Amazing ending to this series. Just wow, I'm still trying to clear my eyes and nose. There were so many little moments building up to the final episode that really drove the narrative and how it was going to end. From Menma's father trying to console her mother and explain that
it's OK not to forget about her, to cherish her, but to move on at the same time.
It was done in a very tender way, which was not the case earlier in the show by him Obviously, this was brought on by the kids actions as they
tried to grant Menma's wish
, but it was positive character growth for him, as well as her little brother when they got him involved. There were a bunch of other things like the lamps flickering, to the moth dropping to the ground, to the whole
hide and seek narrative at the end
In a beautiful way, they really encapsulated both the mental and physical aspect of that ending. This was just too good.

I was really caught off-guard that Menma was really granting
Jinta's mom's wish, not her own
I didn't even think of it previously, but it really fits who she really was when alive. Jinta had called her out on it a few episodes earlier and in this case, she did what she needed to do. This was a sharp contrast to what everyone else in the group was doing which led to that emotional moment with all of them together near the end. It was easy to get caught up a little there as well as it was well scripted and animated, with great ambiance behind everything. Then that ending with
the cards Menma wrote and the hide and seek game ending, tears man, 'dem tears...
Just beautiful man..... This was excellent..

Thanks for everything today.
Tomorrow I’ll go to heaven.
Please be my friends until the very end

“I love you. It’s the “I want to marry you” type of I love you.”
Damn you.... dammit..

I knew you'd like it. :)

Our tastes' are really similar, that's why I recommended it because I really liked it when I watched it too. Glad you finally were able to get to it after all this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom