• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

Maeda needs to stop doing 12-episode anime and having his ideas completely ruined by pacing ala Angel Beats with forced romances and Charlotte with forced wrap up in the last episode.

Yeah, Maeda made it worse by telling fans he learned from his mistakes in rushing things in AB, just to turn around and make it worse in Charlotte. Both shows should have been 24 episodes..

So for a while I've been wanting to get into Gintama but it's kind of overwhelming with 200+ episodes, but being a comedy anime I assume the plot is negligible? If so where is a good place to start or do I really have to start at episode 1 and work my way up?

So for a while I've been wanting to get into Gintama but it's kind of overwhelming with 200+ episodes, but being a comedy anime I assume the plot is negligible? If so where is a good place to start or do I really have to start at episode 1 and work my way up?

Yes. You have to wade your way through several mediocre-ish episodes too before it really starts to get funny at episode 25. It's definitely worth it though.

Ascheroth

Nah, you don't have to start from episode 1. There is a much better entry point. Start at episode 3.

Qurupeke

Charlotte was an "original" story by Maeda, but ReWrite is one of their best VN's (from various online sources, lol) and Maeda is only doing the music, which he is amazing at.

Interesting. I still don't expect much though, but maybe it can be better than Charlotte...

Beyond the Boundary 5
P2xouYW.png
49lmDX4.jpg
HJlvGQX.png
Hmm. I think I kind of like it now. There are still plenty of obnoxious moments though and it's horribly unfunny when it tries to be a comedy.

And naked kittens on this episode.

Thoraxes

I just realized something else - her hair doesn't float. WTF?
Her hair does some weird shit in the OP.
Pls be something by Imaishi.
RightStuf and Sunrise's next Gundam releases are BDs of Build Fighters TRY and Char's Counterattack. I remember enjoying Char's Counterattack when I watched it years ago, but it seems to have a pretty bad reputation in the fanbase. I should probably give it another watch to see if I still like it now.
Dang. Hopefully G-Reco soon . Too bad it missed that Spring date by a lot now.

I'll still be buying both of these though.

Line_HTX

Dunno. Not played the VN or seen the anime. That's why I asked :p

Oh, and the director also directed Kiniro Mosaic ;p

They reran both seasons of Kinmoza on consecutive days over the weekend, but I didn't rewatch because it started at 3 AM and also I dislike Nicovideo.

I wish there was a 3rd season. Not enough Karen IMO. Oh well, there's that special episode coming this year, I forget when exactly.

Cornbread78

Well... How'd the Grisaia anime turn out? Same studio and director as Rewrite :p

Oh shit, I forgot it was the Grisaia crew. Grisaia was really good. Season 1 and 2 are completely different in tone, but they were really really fun to watch.

School harem drama vs "the girls strike back"

JulianImp

So long as they don't try 3 different stories in the span of 12 episodes, I'm sure it'll turn out... better.

This. My main gripe with both Angel Beats and Charlotte were that their plot was all over the place in terms of narrative, all while there were lots of subplots that were introduced but vanished into thin air or were hastily resolved in pretty unsatisfactory ways.

I mean, Charlotte has the MC set on a trip to steal the powers of every person in the planet in a single episode (the last). That could've been turned into half a seasons' worth of episodes, at the very least.

Cornbread78

This. My main gripe with both Angel Beats and Charlotte were that their plot was all over the place in terms of narrative, all while there were lots of subplots that were introduced but vanished into thin air or were hastily resolved in pretty unsatisfactory ways.

I mean, Charlotte has the MC set on a trip to steal the powers of every person in the planet in a single episode (the last). That could've been turned into half a seasons' worth of episodes, at the very least

Would be an awesome 6 episode OVA series. As well as, yeah know, develop the Yuu x Nao relationship...

Your Lie in April 1

Decided to try this show again. Just like before, I'm reminded that Your Lie in April is a show of harsh divides. There are aspects of this show that work really well, and there are aspects that don't work at all. There's a scene towards the end where the female lead is introduced in a very smooth enjoyable fashion that immediately catches the eye of our male lead. It's a nicely animated feel good moment.

And then they follow said scene with this.

Your Lie in April 1

Decided to try this show again. Just like before, I'm reminded that Your Lie in April is a show of harsh divides. There are aspects of this show that work really well, and there are aspects that don't work at all. There's a scene towards the end where the female lead is introduced in a very smooth enjoyable fashion that immediately catches the eye of our male lead. It's a nicely animated feel good moment.

And then they follow said scene with this.

If I remember correctly, the MC was taking a picture because just like you, he thought the scene in front of his eyes was beautiful. That however doesn't justify anything sure, but it sure is better than having him do it with ill intent.

Thoraxes

Bungo Stray Dogs - 09

Still awesome, next week will be amazing. In particular, the BGM for this week's episode really stood out as being quite good too. I'll definitely be picking up the OST.

It's nice to see how it's all coming together.

tMYaKew.png

javac

Gundam Build Fighters Try Blu-ray
Release Date: 9/6/2016
Format: Blu-ray/DVD
Run Time: 625 min
Language: English & Japanese
Price:
Blu-ray $48.74
DVD $38.99
Special Features: Clean Openings, Clean Closings, Gunpla of Guild Fighters Try, The World of Build Fighters Try, Japanese Trailers and Commercials.

Mobile Suit Gundam Char's Counterattack Blu-ray
Release Date: 9/6/2016
Format: Blu-ray/DVD
Run Time: 124 min
Language: English & Japanese
Price:
Blu-ray $22.74
DVD $16.24
Special Features: Japanese trailers and a special promotional video.

Cornbread78

FMA:B ep.11
So the miracle of birth episode. Interesting to see how important the miracle of life is to Edward and Dr. Winfry. Awesome message inside Edward's pocket watch also..

_Ryo_

Tales of the Abyss - Episode One: World of the Score.

maxresdefault.jpg

Slow start, a bit of setup. Some very sweet moments. Will probably spoil the game I just bought and should arrive soon. Luke is kind of an idiot.

Just T

Ajin: 2-3

Wow Kei's so called friends from school really are terrible. Kai been pretty solid so far though. Surprised Kei's sister gave all that info up and was about to even mention Kai too but that shocking scene interrupted it all.

duckroll

I'm mixing my months :/ thank you! I thought it was weird.

Also I'm looking at the prices of these releases...why is thunderbolt so pricey! holy snap 89.99$ is too much for 70 minutes.

Even though I really wanted it, that price may be too much.

Edit: I just realised it's even worse since I'm Canadian..probably looking at 100$ :(

It's a Japanese import. Just like Aniplex stuff and Gundam Unicorn.

Cornbread78

FMA:B ep.12
Excellent backstory on their master and how they learned to develop their alchemy skills. At the same time it was a stunning reveal of their sensei's own mistakes.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Space Battleship Yamato 2199 episodes 1-10

Thanks to Narag tweeting about it I got interested and checked this series out and holy shit is it amazing.

The music, animation, characters, everything is so good.

Cornbread78

FMA:B ep.13
A passing by housewife, huh? Still got a chuckle out of that one, lol. Edward has gotten a little better fighting though.

Narag

RightStuf and Sunrise's next Gundam releases are BDs of Build Fighters TRY and Char's Counterattack. I remember enjoying Char's Counterattack when I watched it years ago, but it seems to have a pretty bad reputation in the fanbase. I should probably give it another watch to see if I still like it now.

Will buy the shit out of CCA. I'll get irritated by it but still!

Narag

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 episodes 1-10

Thanks to Narag tweeting about it I got interested and checked this series out and holy shit is it amazing.

The music, animation, characters, everything is so good.

I do my best to help people discover stuff. I'm typically bullied for my efforts though.

If I remember correctly, the MC was taking a picture because just like you, he thought the scene in front of his eyes was beautiful. That however doesn't justify anything sure, but it sure is better than having him do it with ill intent.

The problem isn't the behavior of Kosei so much as how the show handles the tonal shifts between seriousness and comedy. Throwing in shounen ecchi jokes and slapstick undermines the romantic drama and character tragedy the series is trying to do.

duckroll

The problem isn't the behavior of Kosei so much as how the show handles the tonal shifts between seriousness and comedy. Throwing in shounen ecchi jokes and slapstick undermines the romantic drama and character tragedy the series is trying to do.

Doesn't help that the tragedy drama feels so forced and stupid, while the gags just aren't funny. The only things the show had going for it were the somewhat interesting theme of young performers struggling with pressure and expectations, and the nice designs. Everything else was overdramatized garbo.

Oh shit, I didn't know they were making a new one. What are the details? Is it starting where the last one left off or is it a complete remake?

It's a continuation with new voice actors. The Mangaka even said the adaption will be vastly different from the original anime.

The New PV

It seems like the new anime is more colorful like the manga judging by the color pages than the original anime.

Wanderer5

Aaaaah D.Gray-man, a manga I enjoyed a lot. Too bad the hiatus came through, but well it seem like the creator was getting sick alot.=(

Maybe it time to get back in the D.GM groove at last.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom