• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Minsc-

Ace Attorney - 1

Overall I can say I enjoyed the episode, but it's going to be very hard not to nitpick this series. I don't mind some condensing, however I did miss seeing
Phoenix getting a rug to the face.

I can't really fault the voice actor choices as my expectations for them have been influenced by Fraser Agar's interpretations when he played through the game on VideoGamesAwesome. If there's ever an english dub I'd seriously want him to play the Judge, His judge voice was just so fitting.

To be fair the MC of Working ended up being just the driving force for the rest of the amazing cast. This new season with a new cast of characters I'm not crazy about the design of them, but as long as the MC can be interesting and there isn't a violent man hater who loses all progress of her development in the second season.

Yeah. The basic characteristics of the Takanashi and Inami aren't really funny to me, but they still made a good show with it. I think the writers actually need to do their best if they want to create characters that are even less funnier than Inami & Takanishi, so I'm confident this spin-off will be decent.

Still not sure how to feel without my sexy smoking cook. All this cast looks way too happy and young.

It will never be the same without Satou my friend.

Yeah. The basic characteristics of the Takanashi and Inami aren't really funny to me, but they still made a good show with it. I think the writers actually need to do their best if they want to create characters that are even less funnier than Inami & Takanishi, so I'm confident this spin-off will be decent.

It will never be the same without Satou my friend.

Introducing a violent tsundere yuri and a perverted ecchi video game nerd who loves lolis and has screaming straight man lines

Cornbread78

It's not purely baseball show but I'm definitely enjoying the series. Even though I didn't like Wakaba's death, the writer definitely did a good job on it being part of the story line. It becomes the core of the 2 protagonist.

edit: Oh, I really liked the opening song 😳

Exactly, that opening was sad as hell, but really sets the tone for the show. I found the last couple cours excellent both with baseball and as culmination of the romance aspect of the show. It was really well done.

Gvitor

Ace Attorney 01

I liked it. They'll definitely rush this, but that was inevitable if they'll really adapt two games into one season. Hopefully they skip some filler cases to give more time to the ones that matter.

Ace Attorney 1

The anime lacks heart but Yuki Kaji tries so I guess Ill stick with it. Naruhodo kun is probably funny at times because of his voice.

I hope we get more kid Naruhodo kun and kid Yappari san backstory scenes.

Yasuda Rei voice sounded great as usual, not her best song for an anime (Tweedia (PKMN) or Mirror (Mahouka Koukou)) but still pretty good. More excited for what other songs would be on the CD.

duckroll

That Rakugo With Bad Men And Bitter Women - Episode 12-13 (End)

That was really good, but something about the framing structure feels odd. I'm surprised they didn't just end it at episode 12 as it is. Episode 13 transited from the flashback story to back to the present story narrative without really completing the original framing sequence. That kinda bugs me. There's this gap between the point he started telling the story and where we return with the characters. What happened after the story finished? What were their reactions to it? Why did he decide to continue training Yotaro? When did Konatsu move out? I wanna know... :(

Episode 12 was definitely the proper climax of the season's story arc though, but... it did strike me that the accident seems kinda odd. If that's really all that happened, why wouldn't they tell Konatsu about it after she grew up? Why is it narratively painted as some sort of secret? What's going on here? Considering the rakugo piece performed in the episode setting the thematic tone was about benevolent deceit, I wonder if there's something else going on here.

Can't wait for season 2!

Mayoiga - 01

I liked it. Bunch of random people with different and colorful personalities in an uneasy atmosphere will hopefully make for some interesting clashes and experiences.

Calling it, the killer is
the bus

That Rakugo With Bad Men And Bitter Women - Episode 12-13 (End)

That was really good, but something about the framing structure feels odd. I'm surprised they didn't just end it at episode 12 as it is. Episode 13 transited from the flashback story to back to the present story narrative without really completing the original framing sequence. That kinda bugs me. There's this gap between the point he started telling the story and where we return with the characters. What happened after the story finished? What were their reactions to it? Why did he decide to continue training Yotaro? When did Konatsu move out? I wanna know... :(

It is kind of odd that it doesn't go back to the setup with the elderly Kiku telling his story - would have been interesting if the anime had added some material there - but oh well. I don't think it's a situation where we need to know those answers.

Episode 12 was definitely the proper climax of the season's story arc though, but... it did strike me that the accident seems kinda odd. If that's really all that happened, why wouldn't they tell Konatsu about it after she grew up? Why it narratively painted as some sort of secret? What's going on here? Considering the rakugo piece performed in the episode setting the thematic tone was about benevolent deceit, I wonder if there's something else going on here.

I'll just say your reaction is not wrong.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
g2lUGuT.png

Now that's what I call an online handle.

JulianImp

Ace Attorney #1
I agree that there's certainly a disconnect between what Wright and the audience are aware of because we don't get to review the court records while they're thinking, so the realizations he makes might not make much sense; even more so because the case was fairly rushed so we weren't treated to inner monologues or anything, but rather to Mia saying "Think about it, Wright!" immediately followed with him pulling it off.

It sadly feels like the show's merely going through the motions and sticking way too close to the source material, resulting in a rather bland and forgetful first episode. Rushing things probably means they won't be able to add too many scenes that help flesh out the cast in favor of a more rigid approach, and that even leaves out the fun of trying to figure a case out alongside the cast, which is another strike against the show in my opinion.

Cardfight!! Vanguard G: GIRS Crisis Episode 18 (engdub)

Relational vanguard is pretty unique however I hope we get to do regular vanguard in the future. I really just want to see Kyou's Crush Rush his way done instead of him and Asuka being sacrificed for Ren Suzugamori to destroy Team Try 3.

Good focus on the cardfight though.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Mayoiga 1
Can't remember most of the cast, ah well. Most of them is probably going to bite the dust.
I think i'll give this one 3 episodes rule.

Space Patrol Luluko 1

> Inferno cop+Kamina
> Body transforming into gun

Will watch till the end.

Ace Attorney 1

Well that sure was Ace Attorney, outside of the cg gallery (which was terrible) I enjoyed it a lot. Yes the pacing is a bit fast and the animation leaves something to be desired, at the same time the cheap animation feels appropriate to the series it's based upon. I just hope they ramp up the music for the later turn abouts since the music is such a big part of the game.

Asterisk War Second Season Episode 13

Best OP song and visuals of the season thus far, so stylish.

I like the continuation of these school duels, and the teamwork is on another level. Best fight thus far.

duckroll

I want to revisit the discussion on Rakugo and how the artform is presented on the show. Previously, I was of the mind that the story paints a very unflattering picture of the rakugo association and how one organization run by old men can have so much influence on an already niche artform. But the final two episodes of the series satisfied my issues completely. I'm really happy that they actually bothered to show that much of the repercussions suffered by Sukeroku turned out to be by his own actions rather than the "blacklist". The little comments about how audiences and peers alike still hoped to see him perform again also helped a lot to make the situation more believable for me. These were the same questions I was asking a few episodes ago.

Good show is good.

Lautaro

Ace Attorney 1

Oh my God, that was so boring. Now I haven't played the game but I imagine is pretty close to it which seems to doesn't work in its favour as an anime: no mindgames, no good art, dropped.

Now being fair I'm kind of spoiled because I'm a Law & Order fan so I expect anything in the same setting to follow a similar formula.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The GBA's graphics looked better than the anime lol.

If it's just repeats of the first game's storyline I'm not going to bother. No point in a crime mystery when you know the answer and how they got to it.

Ace Attorney 1

Oh my God, that was so boring. Now I haven't played the game but I imagine is pretty close to it which seems to doesn't work in its favour as an anime: no mindgames, no good art, dropped.

Now being fair I'm kind of spoiled because I'm a Law & Order fan so I expect anything in the same setting to follow a similar formula.

To be even more fair, while I'm enjoying the show, the games are in fact much better and should be played.

Ace Attorney isn't that much of a thing where people play mind games with each other, but there's definitely a good sense of tension in the later cases.

Ascheroth

Asterisk S2 - 13

This too was not wasting any time to get back to business. It continues right where it left off, with another battle in the tournament, pitting the weakened Ayato and Julis against some chinese martial art wannabees.
And the action was pretty great. Nice focus on tactics and teamwork, good choreography and it also looked good! If the battle scenes in this episode and the sneak peaks in the OP (which is pretty good again) are any indication, this is going to be a fun season.
I just hope the green-haired maid isn't going to have many lines, because otherwise I can already see my ears bleeding.

Does ReZero air today or next week.

Tomorrow as far as I know.

Deadly

Asterisk 13
Wow they did not waste any time at all. The music by Rasmus Faber is on point too. The ED wasn't as good as the one from the first season though but honestly that's kinda hard to top (IMO).

Was Mayoiga done by the dude who did Another? Cause I'll be honest, I actually liked Another a lot so that's a plus in my book.

Gonna watch new Asterisk but now that Rakugo S1 is done Imma marathon it later this weekend or...maybe over the course of the week. We'll see how I want to digest it.

Phatmac

As the avatar suggests I love AA more than anything so for it to turn into crap was pretty insulting. This show looks like it came out years ago with how bland it looks. The VA choice for Wright is terrible. I'll probably just watch it for the music but people should play the games if they want the story told in a good way.

Terra Formars Revenge - 01

Too much screaming. Looks bad. Mostly punches with no use of combat techniques related to their 'spirit animals'.
Worst offender being not even a single bit of trivia regarding Earth lifeforms.

0/10

Sölf

Ace Attorney 1

To be even more fair, while I'm enjoying the show, the games are in fact much better and should be played.

Ace Attorney isn't that much of a thing where people play mind games with each other, but there's definitely a good sense of tension in the later cases.

To add to this, the very first case is also extremely boring. I mean, ingame you have like 5 or 6 items and you see the murderer commiting the crime. And the whole case is not longer than maybe 30-45 minutes (maybe 60 if it's your very first game and you have absolutely no idea what you are doing). But it's really nothing that represents the whole show. I mean, just compare the opening sequence of this case to one that of a later one:

Ace Attorney 1: The First Turnabout
Ace Attorney 1 - Rise from the Ashes

To be fair, while Rise from the Ashes is the fifth case in the first game, it was only added with the NDS remake, after the first 3 games were already finished. But still, just from seeing the introduction, you don't really have an idea of what the fuck is going on. So, I would say watch at least the second case (probably episode 2 and 3), but even that isn't that great, because in the game, case 2 ALSO showed the murderer. >_>

Rewatched Garden of Words this morning while doing homework. The English dub is pretty good, but that last line before the credits is one of the worst delivered lines I've ever heard. I watch my share of B movies as well..

Lautaro

Sölf;199945484 said:
To add to this, the very first case is also extremely boring. I mean, ingame you have like 5 or 6 items and you see the murderer commiting the crime. And the whole case is not longer than maybe 30-45 minutes (maybe 60 if it's your very first game and you have absolutely no idea what you are doing). But it's really nothing that represents the whole show. I mean, just compare the opening sequence of this case to one that of a later one:

Ace Attorney 1: The First Turnabout
Ace Attorney 1 - Rise from the Ashes

To be fair, while Rise from the Ashes is the fifth case in the first game, it was only added with the NDS remake, after the first 3 games were already finished. But still, just from seeing the introduction, you don't really have an idea of what the fuck is going on. So, I would say watch at least the second case (probably episode 2 and 3), but even that isn't that great, because in the game, case 2 ALSO showed the murderer. >_>

Ace Attorney 1

We should start a "To Be Fair" club.

Ace Attorney 1

I liked it, even though it's flaws were clear as day. I just enjoyed seeing Ace Attorney finally getting an anime, even if there wasn't
a wig to the face

I loved when Phoenix pointed a contradiction like he was onto something but it turned out he was full of crap. That's like the essence of playing Ace Attorney games.

The Lost Village 1

Hahaha holy shit! I can tell that this is going to be train wreck of the season. We're getting pure unfiltered Okada with this. Going to be so good.

Sölf

All these Mayoiga impressions, and I have to wait until tomorrow to watch it. This thread will probably spoil me to death with this show, Luluco and Kabaneri. D:

duckroll

Lost Village - Episode 1

Mizushima once again proving why he's one of the most interesting directors in TV anime today. Original, engaging, hilarious, and a think undercurrent of bleak commentary. The hippo song is so good. The first episode juggled the introduction of the characters really well for such a large cast. Hopefully if they're going to start dying off, they don't miss the chance to grey out dead folks in the OP in future! :D

Future Card Buddyfight:DDD (Triple D) Episode 1
CfDQyaaW4AAvBZr.jpg
CfDQyY1WAAMOw6Q.jpg

They didnt really have to provide brief introductions to Kyoya Gaen and a few other things like we have already been through 100 episodes of Buddyfight before. However maybe it was in case people were randomly wanting to jump into Buddyfight at this season.

Sun cards look great and Gao's buddy older form is pretty interesting and strong. I cant wait to see what others bring to the table.

Ace Attorney 1

zYNf4uP.gif

Nice there are alt subs

This episode was on cruise control. First case was boring, but it was in the game as well. Shame Mia is only alive for one episode.... for a while. We only got her in one boring case before we Segway into Maya and her bad luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom