• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.
5Z1IFwB.jpg

welp

The Okada ride never ends.

Qurupeke

Is the mayoiga poster theory finally debunked?

Not exactly, but someone said that the posters were in (reverse) reveal order. The one with all the characters was the latest. So, I doubt it means anything.

Also, the theory about Speedstar/Hayato being a ghost can probably rest in peace too, as his name was on the chalkboard of the teams.

Ascheroth

Asterisk - 15

Ayatos sister was a beast, damn.
This show has some pretty great fights. The way those twins fight is pretty nasty. Cliffhanger, why... :/

Not exactly, but someone said that the posters were in (reverse) reveal order. The one with all the characters was the latest. So, I doubt it means anything.

Also, the theory about Speedstar/Hayato being a ghost can probably rest in peace too, as his name was on the chalkboard of the teams.

Didn't that make no sense from the beginning? Wasn't Lion talking about him/looking at him last episode?

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Space Patrol Luluco 3
Midori the best. Everything about her is perfect, especially the voice. YES, VOICE OF A GODDESS.

Macross Delta 1

I think this one will fill my idol anime quota for this season.

Aki-at

Space Dandy - Finale

Well that's one hell of a way to end a show but wait
is everyone dead now and Dandy is just going to repeat the whole process again and again? So Katherine is wrong and the Dandy she fell in love with IS the same Dandy all along? Also what kind of a God cannot materialise with a body if he wants? And I swear Dandy didn't even touch one boob in the show, why does he need a body if all he was going to do is ogle at them and
I'm just joking I'm not seriously questioning any of this :p

Was a fun ride with a crazy finale for the show that's juiced up on it. Started off not liking the first few episodes and still wasn't keen on some episodes throughout the series but overall I'd recommend. 8/10

Also why was King Ghidorah in drag?!

EDIT: And I bet the court episode was better than anything in Ace Attorney.

Kanaberi - 2

Fantastic visuals, when are they going to drop? So far a great action series, definitely going to be one of my favs of the season until it falls apart towards the end.

JoJo: Diamond is Unbreakable - 3

Jotaro and Joseph don't even look alike! I prefer Jotaro's role in this arc than his previous role, his mannerism work with the role of mentor rather than protagonists. The stands are definitely becoming a lot more interesting too, so far so good.

Kiznaiver 2
The first half had way too much screaming and shouting, but there were some pretty amusing moments, especially at the end. And lol at the person who was claiming that this show isn't Okada as fuck.

That was the worst theory :(

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Kiznaiver Episode 2:

I must admit I am enjoying the fact that normal anime tropes are causing this group actual pain as was that tortured love confession.

Exalted

Asterisk S2 episode 3

Nice action in the second part of the episode, the fight vs twins was great so far. Next episode should be good, since it looks like Ayato will break a new seal and powerup .

Ascheroth

Kiznaiver - 02

Man, I love this. Has to be my favorite show this season right after JoJo.
We still don't quite know what a Kiznaiver really is and what they're supposed to do, since this episode was basically a character introduction episode in hyperdrive. But it was great. Nico da best.

And it appears I was right.
I wonder if Sonozaki is the girl from the flashback, seeing how she has that black pattern on her neck and it just so happens that the same place on the neck of flashback-girl was covered by that light in the flashback.

And everyone that said this show isn't Okada as fuck: lol.

Kiznaiver Episode 2:

I must admit I am enjoying the fact that normal anime tropes are causing this group actual pain as was that tortured love confession.
So good.

Kuromukuro 1

Either I'm seeing things or this has more detail in its animation than almost any other P.A. Works show so far. Additionally, there seems to be a willingness to choreograph movement that's more difficult to animate. Simple scenes like the two girls walking down stairs at the beginning are fun to watch because of it, as well as the mother picking up her phone from the table after forgetting it a second time. One would imagine that a percentage of scenes being done in 3D, due to mechs or whatever else, would free up time for better 2D animation but since that rarely seems to translate into a tangible quality improvement I don't know what to ascribe it to here (there also aren't many scenes not featuring some 2D, at least in this episode). Hopefully somebody sacrificed the correct number of goats and the quality maintains.

Story-wise things feel a tad old school; There's a naked royal guard suspended in liquid in a black cube, while state-of-the-art mechs are fighting right outside the same building. So many questions! Thankfully the naked man trope was properly exploited with a nice fight scene featuring convenient censoring. I dunno, I'm willing to see where this is going.

Space Patrol Luluco 3

dimb is right. This is better now.

Tanaka-kun 2

The central relationship in this really endearing despite being unequal; Ohta's devotion -bolstered by a great voice performance that smoothly shifts between respect, interest and concern- is unlikely to be reciprocated 1:1 but their friendship seems so real if you accept the exaggeration of Tanaka's listlessness. I still appreciate the pace and timing, which manages to get a laugh by lingering on an image for an extra second. The new character brings a different energy and opportunity for jokes without breaking the show's vibe.

Kuromukuro 1

Either I'm seeing things or this has more detail in its animation than almost any other P.A. Works show so far. Additionally, there seems to be a willingness to choreograph movement that's more difficult to animate. Simple scenes like the two girls walking down stairs at the beginning are fun to watch because of it, as well as the mother picking up her phone from the table after forgetting it a second time. One would imagine that a percentage of scenes being done in 3D, due to mechs or whatever else, would free up time for better 2D animation but since that rarely seems to translate into a tangible quality improvement I don't know what to ascribe it to here (there also aren't many scenes not featuring some 2D, at least in this episode). Hopefully somebody sacrificed the correct number of goats and the quality maintains.

You're not seeing things. It's still not as good as Eccentric Family, but it's probably better produced than pretty much all other P.A. Works shows. Toshiyuki Inoue on board helps, of course, but Tensai Okamura as director has to be given credit too.

Tanaka kun 2
YYCbdPA.gif

This is exactly what the show needed, an upbeat character to balance out just how fucking lazy Tanaka is and to bring another flavor to the comedy. The whole plotline of blaming the Gods was great, and when the girl was breaking up with the milk I fucking lost it so good.

I didn't see the point of the scene where the class president is walking in school and in typical anime fashion all of the boys are talking out loud how much they want to basically bang her. It felt completely out of place considering she's a minor character who only really had a speaking role this episode and then disappeared, didn't even interact with the main two guys.

Maybe the
challenge letter
is from her or something, because if not that whole scene seemed pointless.

Wanderer5

Kiznaiver #2

Self-introductions in extreme mode lol. It became silly at times, but the danger was there. Poor Hajime through ha ha; the mad dog is afraid of dogs. And oh snap we got a murderer, and it be interesting to see where that goes next episode.

Still quite a intriguing show.

blurr

Mayoiga 01

It's exactly as I read: ostentatious and foreboding. I'm not sure about it but at least it's different from what I've been watching lately which is great.

I want to try Kiznaiver as well.

phaze

Ace Attorney 03

Between people asspulling evidence out of their ... pockets and the general level of IQ of the population being around 0, this case was a massive meh. The humour, if you can call it that, either is shit in games too or just doesn't translate well into anime. Dropped.

Kiznaiver 02
Is it me or was there plenty of quality this episode ? Trigger falling apart at second episode already smh.

Better than the premiere and pretty entertaining. Though I completely forgot that the violet hair guy wasn't even introduced in the previous episode, thought they just forgot about him in this episode lol.

Oh, I think this is by now the longest I've stayed with a non-adapatation Okada work.

duckroll

Code Geass - Akito the Exiled - Final Chapter - To My Beloved Ones

Warning this post will contain unmarked spoilers for the series because I do not want to post a chunk of black bars. If you do not want to be spoiled, just don't bother reading this post. If you are going to quote specific parts that are spoilers, please use spoiler tags on the quote, thx.

Finally going to sit down and post more detailed thoughts on this. I honestly liked most of the OVA over the years, but boy did this conclusive blow hot chunks. It's clear by the end that what Akane wanted to say at this point is very different from the story that originally started the series. It's hence disappointing that the things I liked about the original story and what I was invested in, was mostly sacrificed in really off-putting ways just to shoehorn the stupid message that Akane decided he really wanted to share midway through making this series.

I think one of the worst things a narrative work can do, especially a long running one which relies on the goodwill of the audience for years, is to betray the implied promise in the storytelling. I'm not talking about subversion here, but the trust between the storyteller and the audience. This is something established early on and any good storyteller respects basic rules. Subversion is in fact based around those rules as well, since presenting something unexpected to the audience can be part of the promise to give them something different. But once you establish themes and foreshadow developments, it would be in bad faith to abandon them to do something else if you get bored of telling the story you were telling.

Akito the Exiled originated as a Code Geass spin-off that emphasized on things that the TV series did not. It showed another side of of the conflict by focusing on Europe, and it established a more grounded setting where politics and social issues were the battlefield, instead of succession and rebellion. The protagonists were not students, but criminals and soldiers, trained men and women who have no qualms with taking lives. It was a bleak setting, and while how it dealt with many of the themes were heavy handed and obvious, it didn't feel dishonest about it. Until now.

The finale to the series starts right off on the wrong note. When the cliffhanger of the previous entry is the shocking and sudden death of one of the major characters done in a way to suggest that in actual conflict retaliation and loss can strike at any moment and letting your guard down can have huge consequences, it is incredibly poor form to start the next entry by resolving this in the laziest possible way. Not only is said character not actually dead, but we open with a half-assed rescue attempt which is neither particularly engaging nor visually exciting. Yet it drags on while never really ever having tension. We already know that the show has decided the character will survive. Just get the fuck on with it and stop wasting more of our time!

After getting off on the wrong foot, this finale never recovers. Instead it keeps digging the hole deeper by spending every character development moment trying to establish that not everyone is bad, even villains who have been one-dimensional and awful throughout the series are now given ridiculous scenes where they reconsider their motives. Playing this sort of game this late in the narrative reeks of poor planning at best, and character assassination at worse. Either way it is shameful that Akane cares so little for the setting and characters he has been working with, that he can change his mind so quickly by the end. Every single trope of this time is played here one after another. The villain who becomes a new ally. The honorable baddies forced to do bad things because they must follow orders. The true believer who has second thoughts. Even the psychotic mastermind who was simply doing bad things for misguided good intentions. It's too much.

Another laughable aspect of the climax is how even with the action, Akane seems to have given up on even bothering to have any pretense that the high technology nation of the setting even matters. He has decided that since there is a knight motif with the mechs, and because swords and shields are cool, that the final battle should literally be a castle siege - medieval style. This feels less like a Code Geass set piece than it does an Escaflowne fan fiction which he was never able to carry out before. It's entertaining, and well choreographed (outside of a few camera cuts which were just too damn fast to follow), but the whole thing just feels so hollow. It's hard to care for something when it feels so disconnected from the essence of the setting. I think the siege lost me when huge spikes started coming out of the ground to impale the approaching mechs. I would have expected most of them to open up right after and for the troops to continue on foot because it seemed like such a poor defense against mechs as we know them in Code Geass. But nope, they just stayed there like they "died" gruesomely in a Roman siege.

Then there's how the story just drops everything at the end to go full metaphysical. This is nothing new to Code Geass, but the way it was presented here was so dishonest it actually feels offensive to the audience. This isn't a melodramatic show off of power like in the TV series, or a crazy twist that makes people go "WHAT!!!!!!!" while rolling their eyes. This is an honest-to-god attempt to tie the emotional development of the main cast together by suggesting that if everyone stopped and just felt hard enough, they could all be one and change reality by believing. It's a stupid shounen trope implanted seriously into a seinen story. Completely disgusting.

I could go on and on about everything wrong with the finale, but it mostly feels like a waste of my time. It also feels like Akane wasted 7 years of his time if this is all he could come up with. A huge disappointment all round.

ibyea

Banned
Mayoiga 3

I'm still having a very good time with this show.

I'm not going to act like everybody should be liking it, but to the people who say, "This is dumb and not funny," or "It's boring because not enough people are dying yet," what were you expecting? You can't just immediately go full speed ahead with this stuff. It takes buildup so everyone can get all paranoid and their relationships start fraying before shit really hits the fan. The end of the episode sets up a bunch more reasons for people to be suspicious of each other, which has me all excited.

And everyone in this show is gloriously stupid. In this episode alone we had characters:

- Act completely oblivious to massive red flags about how suspicious this situation is
- Attack someone for implying they cared about other people
- Make incredibly intense sexual innuendo about cooking
- Tie someone up and throw them into a convenient dungeon
- Lose their shit about bears
- Lose their shit about people not respecting their dumb chuuni name enough
- Lose their shit about how unwilling everyone is to murder everyone else

I mean, the main character gets attacked by someone attempting to kill him, and his main thought during this situation is, "Oh shit, I saw her bra, why does this make me feel funny?" It's exactly what I want.

Hahaha! Yup, I completely agree. It's glorious.

pbayne

Kiznaiver 2

So high energy its hard not to get up in it. The MC still worries me, having an emotionless MC is a kiss of death to a lot of shows but ill see how it handles him.

Lol still no idea what a kiznaiver actually does or is though

Diamond is Unbreakable 3

Flawless. Really starting to appreciate Joskue's characer theme music as well.

the confession of childhood friend is kind of boring tbh. Would've been better if her secret was something like
she hates his fucking guts but is only near him because their families are such good friends
or some other shit.

I didn't follow Akito until the third episode came out but I think the most frustrating thing about it for me was the dangling of a Lelouch/Suzaku plot thread and some C.C. in there as well that was...nothing? Just the jangling of some keys in front of the audience to keep interest?

phaze

So There's an anime on netflix called Ajin. Any impressions? Any good?

In the first place, it's CG. You need to decide whether or not you can bear with visuals.

It's also not a finished story, it has a decent stopping point but that's it.

Other than that, I thought it was alright, nothing amazing but pretty refreshing in some regards. (Mc is pretty cold blooded compared to your usual fare in this kind of shows.)
the confession of childhood friend is kind of boring tbh. Would've been better if her secret was something like
she hates his fucking guts but is only near him because their families are such good friends
or some other shit.
Edgy.

duckroll

I didn't follow Akito until the third episode came out but I think the most frustrating thing about it for me was the dangling of a Lelouch/Suzaku plot thread and some C.C. in there as well that was...nothing? Just the jangling of some keys in front of the audience to keep interest?

I think you will LOVE how that plot thread, which no one on the production team clearly gave a fuck about, and seemed likely to have been mandated by Sunrise, was concluded.

After they were both imprisoned during the coup in chapter 4, they spend the entirety of the final chapter in the cell. There is a single short scene of them being sad pandas in the cell during the episode, and they have zero impact on anything that happens. After the credits and when everything is over, there is a bonus scene at the end where Rolo leads a small team into the abandoned prison to free the two of them to bring them back to Britannia.

Brilliant narrative planning and execution. A+. Would watch again. Not.

It's CG. You need to decide whether you can bear with it.

It's also not a finished story, it has a decent stopping point but that's it.

Other than I thought it was okay, nothing amazing but pretty refreshing in some regards. (Mc is pretty cold blooded compared to your usual fare in this kind of shows.

Edgy.

I'll take edgy over literally the secret every freaking childhood friend has lmao

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom