• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narag

Dagashi Kashi 2
yWmN7bRl.png

Hotaru's destined to become an awful drunk. Ramune Whistle story was fine when being told, really disengaging when shown.

Hunter X Hunter OVA 8 END

The events themselves were good, but this needed to be at least half as long. The pacing was maddeningly slow at times, with direction techniques that seemed designed to extend scenes as long as possible without creating enough sustained tension and atmosphere to justify their length. On the plus side, I feel better prepared to tackle the Chimera Ant arc now.

In the first place, it's CG. You need to decide whether or not you can bear with visuals.

It's also not a finished story, it has a decent stopping point but that's it.

Other than that, I thought it was alright, nothing amazing but pretty refreshing in some regards. (Mc is pretty cold blooded compared to your usual fare in this kind of shows.)

Thanks, I won't be bothered by the CG if the themes are interesting.

Code Geass - Akito the Exiled - Final Chapter - To My Beloved Ones

Finally going to sit down and post more detailed thoughts on this. I honestly liked most of the OVA over the years, but boy did this conclusive blow hot chunks. It's clear by the end that what Akane wanted to say at this point is very different from the story that originally started the series. It's hence disappointing that the things I liked about the original story and what I was invested in, was mostly sacrificed in really off-putting ways just to shoehorn the stupid message that Akane decided he really wanted to share midway through making this series.

I could go on and on about everything wrong with the finale, but it mostly feels like a waste of my time. It also feels like Akane wasted 7 years of his time if this is all he could come up with. A huge disappointment all round.

It's a real shame. I actually really liked what Akito was presenting at its start, so it's unfortunate that Akane was unable to see that through. Hopefully his next project turns out better.

duckroll

The Boy and the Beast

I honestly expected really bad things when people kept telling me this is Hosoda's worst movie (it's not), and that it was a huge ball dropping load of garbage (definitely not!). As it turns out, the movie was entertaining, has some solid character development, and says some very honest things about growing up. It is also probably the ugliest film Hosoda has made visually though, which was a disappointment, but I definitely feel it made up for it in other areas.

At the core of it, The Boy and the Beast is a story about growing up. I think that approaching it as a story about parenthood is a bit of a misnomer because the central theme is as much about the absence of parents as it is about the efforts of parents, but seen entire through the lens of the children. So it isn't so much about parenthood but rather about the process of growing up, where parents or the lack thereof play a part. I found Ren to be a character I could relate to, and it was interesting to see how he was portrayed. The story gives us very little reason to pity or feel sorry for him, because much of what happens to him is largely a consequence of his own choices.

Yet even without feeling sorry for him, when he struggles to better himself, it is hard not to root for him. I think what I like most about Hosoda's characters, and this applies to more than just Ren here, is that he gives them ample room to fail, and to make poor choices, but also the chance to pick themselves up. There's an honesty and realism to his characters which can show both the good of humanity and the flaws we all have in us.

I was surprised when the film shifted in tone in the second act, but ended up really liking where it went. Instead of being locked up as a fairy tale story about a boy learning to grow up in a magical land, it went beyond that by addressing the necessity of figuring out what you want with your life and having realistic goals as you grow up. Up until this point, I felt the film was a competent but not exceptional "boys style" take on Spirited Away. But here it exceeds that scope and takes ownership of what it wants to be. By allowing us to see the results of Ren's growth and how it can apply to the real world, there was a true sense of satisfaction and progress.

Much has been made of how Hosoda drops the ball in the final act and the climax of the film. It's true that the conclusion disappoints in terms of where it felt it had to go, and Hosoda has never truly been exceptional at handling big blockbuster moments without it feeling artificial. I would have definitely preferred if the climax was more low key, given the tone of the overall film, but I don't think what ultimately happened ruined the movie. It simply took the story's natural conclusion and hammed it up with heavy handed imagery and completely unneeded large scale action. I can think of far worse crimes in storytelling.

With regards to the visuals, there's something about the art direction and cinematography in the film that makes a lot of it less attractive than it should be. There's heavy use of digital effects throughout, but often in unappealing ways. Hosoda has used digital effects and CG in much better ways previously, so it's hard to give him a free pass here. What I did notice though, was that a lot of the color design and general cinematography reminded me of Hong Kong cinema. The vistas and framing in the Beast world evoked feelings of Wuxia films with both the set design as well as the lighting. The human world on the other hand felt muted and bland in the day, while over-contrasted at night with strong use of orange and sharp lighting. It feels like an attempt there to ape the look of Hong Kong gangster movies and contemporary dramas. I don't think the style ever worked perfectly though, and perhaps whatever was being attempted simply doesn't suit animation. It just gave the entire movie a less attractive look than his previous films which took advantage of styles well suited for animation.

So yeah, despite the visual shortcomings and the underwhelming climax, I really liked the film. The relationship between Ren and Kumatetsu worked really well, the relationship between Ren and Kaede was something I really enjoyed watching
until the ending blew it by not even having a kiss
, and I think what the story had to say about how children relate to their parents using different case studies was something worth saying. Hosoda's "worst" movie to this date is still Summer Wars, and that was a pretty enjoyable film too, even though it really had nothing to say. That just shows what a talented director Hosoda is I guess.

tl;dr - Jexhius was WRONG!!!!!!

Sterok

Kiznaiver 2

For once hitting your teammates really isn't a good idea. Creative for an anime. The most dramatic self-introductions possible. Okada delivering once more.

Hai-Furi 2

So them being on the run is mostly to find an excuse for big ship battles that you can't make a tournament for. I can dig it. I'm inclined to think the distress call is a trap, but they were late, so we'll see.

kewlmyc

Ace Attorney 3

It's hilarious seeing Phoenix just whip out evidence from his pockets, saying he got it from point A with no proof, and everyone going along with it, including the Prosecutor. It was also like that in the games, but it's just funny seeing it animated since he's literally just pulling it from his pockets. Phoenix Wright, King of Hiding Evidence.

Also, the theory about Speedstar/Hayato being a ghost can probably rest in peace too, as his name was on the chalkboard of the teams.

Her description says something about having a strong ability to sense supernatural, so even if he was a ghost, she would be able see him.

I actually like this silly theory and hope it's true. Unreliable MCs always add some fun to a mystery series.

I think you will LOVE how that plot thread, which no one on the production team clearly gave a fuck about, and seemed likely to have been mandated by Sunrise, was concluded.

After they were both imprisoned during the coup in chapter 4, they spend the entirety of the final chapter in the cell. There is a single short scene of them being sad pandas in the cell during the episode, and they have zero impact on anything that happens. After the credits and when everything is over, there is a bonus scene at the end where Rolo leads a small team into the abandoned prison to free the two of them to bring them back to Britannia.

Brilliant narrative planning and execution. A+. Would watch again. Not.

I watched the finale and when
Rolo
showed up I laughed pretty hard

phaze

I'll take edgy over literally the secret every freaking childhood friend has lmao

She loved him in the past. But not right now. And she was forces to confess her feelings in the second episode already.

That's like, super ground breaking material right there as far as childhood friends go. :p

You're not seeing things. It's still not as good as Eccentric Family, but it's probably better produced than pretty much all other P.A. Works shows. Toshiyuki Inoue on board helps, of course, but Tensai Okamura as director has to be given credit too.

Glad somebody else agrees. Eccentric Family was the only other show I could think of to match it, since the sakuga in the HanaIro movie wasn't representative of the show. I'm not sure how I forgot P.A. sometimes has Inoue up their sleeve (I have his Eccentric Family books!) but scrubbing back through the episode I think I spotted him. No doubt the booru has it tagged so I can feel smart or dumb when I check if I'm right.

-------------

Kiznaiver 2

Slightly goofier than the first episode, which is most welcome. I don't think the show will ever embrace its silliness to the degree that I'd like, but perhaps the influence of the director and Trigger is going to produce something more likeable in the long run than I expected. There are some nice touches in here like Nico breathing through her hair when everyone else is using their hand as a dust filter. Still feels like the calm before the storm.

Future Card Buddyfight DDD (Triple D) Episode 3
CgLxRZZW8AUNmFf.jpg
CgLxs0QW8AEvAMJ.jpg

Todays win doesnt count as a victory
does that mean Gao still has a pretty good record for this season?

Aoi Shouta voicing a happy character for once is wonderful. Im so excited for him and for this season. And his luminize is awesome too (Well not on the same level as Shido who really personalized it).

Noboru getting a win was the best. Finally he gets some love.

ibyea

Banned
Kiznaivers: 2
What I said about Niko last episode. Never mind that. Chidori is worst character. Holy hell is she obnoxious. She has the combination of childhood friend trope with the aggressive tsundere personality and it's the worst. And her confession to Katsuhira was eyerollingly melodramatic.

With that out of the way, I liked everything else about the episode. It is crazy but in a good way. And despite the whole confession thing being a typical way to go about thing, I had a blast, brought out some really funny moments. And hey, I thought Katsuhira's self-introductions both times during the climax were nice dramatic moments because they restrained some of the melodrama when that happened.

Sterok

Aikatsu Stars 2

Looks like there's going to be 9 core characters, S4 and 5 from Yume's class. Did not take long for Yozora to start flirting with her juniors. Sakuraba is looking to be my favorite. She's got a sweet special appeal as well. Four Stars seems a lot harsher than Starlight. Teachers don't hold back, Hime is trying to make the others match her iron will (and abs), and the other students aren't afraid of bad talk behind others' backs. And the principal is acting evil. This seems to be shaping up well.

Mailbox

Kiznaiver episode 2

Kinda pleasantly surprised that this is still really good 2 episodes in.

This episode is definitely way more over the top (though I wouldn't say goofy) than the first episode with things going a little apeshit, but its not done in that Gurren Lagann "anti-probability missile" way which is good, since that would conflict with the tone put in here. Its a crazy episode, but the tone is very much in tact. Plus to trigger for pulling something like that off.

We learn each character's deepest (or rather the one they least want people to know) secret and for the most part, their petty. But they make sense at the same time. The secrets conflicting with the personae that they have created or have had society create for themselves. This has gotten me thinking that this might be like the Persona series if it was just the Social Links, which wouldn't be a bad thing.

I'm interested in seeing how Trigger will do things from here on out. There doesn't seem to be any defined villain, and hopefully it stays that way.

Cardfight!! Vanguard G GIRS Crisis Episode 20 (engDUB)
CgMHqYsWsAAoPCj.jpg

The ending has not only Trinity Dragon pose, but Kamui the Great "dancing" and the scientist guy on the Segway.

For a Great Kamui episode it was the best. He is still the best with the Nova Grapplers and seeing them in action is always exciting. Too bad there was a dark message this time
dude actually died in the explosion :(

Theonik

Strike Witches ep 1

Put on some pants, this show is what I feared Girls und Panzer would be when I first started watching that in terms of relentless exploitation of it's early teen cast. Watched the whole of this dreck in the hope something would redeem it but nope it's trash all the way down excepting that it is fairly well animated even if I'm not a fan of the suits or enemy designs. I thought Kancolle was shameless but it's a a model of restraint next to this thing.
Embarking on this show without at least coming to terms with this is foolish at best. The show has things to offer, but only if one gets past these facts.

I look forward to you telling us the kind of show Wixoss is again.

pbayne

Big Order 1

Crazy but eh not in an entertaining way most of the time. It was really surreal and trippy at times but jesus the first 10 minutes were a chore. Thankfully Yuno Joestar 2.0 livened things up a bit and i near died when the main guy went full on Lelouch, he even has the paralyzed little sister. How can he ever lose with that power?
Probably won't keep up with it.

Super Lovers 2

I liked the brothers but some of the big emotional scenes were a bit flat for me. Its a weird thing in that individually i like all the characters but not their relationships for some reason. Ill give it another episode though.

Completely forgot to say, but Big Order also had another hilarious moment: the picture of the smiling sister on her knees in the bed he keeps on the desk. Like you asked her to get on her knees and pose for you so you can take a picture you keep with you? lmao

Mailbox

Tanaka-kun is Always Listless Episode 2

I was right. This show is getting better as more characters get introduced.

Its still not great, but better than the first episode. Miyano is fun to have on screen.
There seem to be 2 more main characters that need to be properly introduced, so hopefully this show gets better as they become present.

This isn't gonna reach Nozaki levels, but it should still be a fun series to watch in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom