• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2017 |OT| Don't be a SukaSuka for Gacha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

Not even the best Penguin Waifu smh
I know right? Where is Princess aka best PPP?

You see, now I know I've been tainted for life when all I can picture when this is mention is:

dXVlswJ.jpg
esjlESj.jpg

Please send help....

Gekkan-Shoujo Nozaki-kun 06
Waka praising Lorelei had me in splits. As did the Senpai's senpai-ing when they were outdone in filling screentones.

Can't wait to read your impressions of the final episode...

Boruto 4

Ok this was the best episode yet! The class dynamic were super funnny. Shino is awful at being a teacher and it's great. The animation was also great (that summoning moment! That rasengan!) And finally!!! Mitsuki!!!!

blurr

Is there a mirror link for the Hyouka dub PV? because not releasing the Blurays in my region wasn't enough(to be fair, it's not something I'd expect at all) so they decided to block the PV as well.

You see, now I know I've been tainted for life when all I can picture when this is mention is:

Not bad.

On the one hand, I didn't hate it as much as I was expecting to. I'm not a manga reader so I can't say how well they adapted the Conviction arc but story wise, it was okay. It was cool to have some levity after how fucking dark the Golden Age arc ended up, and I ended up really liking the side characters introduced here. I also watched the dub and again, while I would have loved for the original cast to come back, I think the replacement actors here did a pretty good job overall. And like I said before, I really like the OP to the series.

Positives out of the way, this was a train-wreck right down to the storyboard level. The way scenes were framed, the choreography of fight scenes, the lack of any sense of scale. Everything about this production came off as amateurish, something I'd expect and be more forgiving of if it was a web series like RWBY or Death Battle.

And all of that doesn't even go into the animation. Like, my God. I have no issue with the series being CGI. CGI animated series can be done well with the right direction but it felt like here that someone during production was unwilling to make a compromise. Shows like Star Wars Rebels (and Clone Wars before it) and Nick's TMNT prove that you can do fluid fight scenes and expressive characters in CG, but they also went with more stylized character designs to better fit the medium. Here, they tried to be as hyper-detailed as the art from the manga to an absolute fault, and when you add the poor direction on top of that, it ended in this mess of a series.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Kado Episode 4:

I feel like Shindo needs to give zaShunina some books of human history and sociology because the UN Security Council is actually kind of right and not just in the obvious humanity weaponizing sense but even if the intention isn't there, the result of Japan having a de facto monopoly on a power source upset the power of the world order in a huge way. Also this episode loses a few points for slipping into more traditional anime acting at a few points which just looks so pout of place in this production.

Iastfan112

Neo Member
What is up with that? Region locking advertisements.

Doesn't Funimation show some episodes on their YouTube Channel? Could be they restrict all content just to prevent a mistake of airing something outside their license. Also possible it could be construed as trying to sell out of market which could piss off backwards Japanese publishers. Just theories on my part

Thud

On the one hand, I didn't hate it as much as I was expecting to. I'm not a manga reader so I can't say how well they adapted the Conviction arc but story wise, it was okay. It was cool to have some levity after how fucking dark the Golden Age arc ended up, and I ended up really liking the side characters introduced here. I also watched the dub and again, while I would have loved for the original cast to come back, I think the replacement actors here did a pretty good job overall. And like I said before, I really like the OP to the series.

Positives out of the way, this was a train-wreck right down to the storyboard level. The way scenes were framed, the choreography of fight scenes, the lack of any sense of scale. Everything about this production came off as amateurish, something I'd expect and be more forgiving of if it was a web series like RWBY or Death Battle.

And all of that doesn't even go into the animation. Like, my God. I have no issue with the series being CGI. CGI animated series can be done well with the right direction but it felt like here that someone during production was unwilling to make a compromise. Shows like Star Wars Rebels (and Clone Wars before it) and Nick's TMNT prove that you can do fluid fight scenes and expressive characters in CG, but they also went with more stylized character designs to better fit the medium. Here, they tried to be as hyper-detailed as the art from the manga to an absolute fault, and when you add the poor direction on top of that, it ended in this mess of a series.

The convinction arc is a joy to read. Anime skipped a large part, just so they could finish it and get on with the rest.

Pacing is off as we fly through pages of material without really a good sense of direction. Any respected fan should read the manga as the way this adaption was handled is pretty damn poor.

It's only saving grace is Puck, Mozgus and the reappearance of Griffith in his new bishounen look.

I'm saving up some episodes from this season so I can watch it all in one go. Even if it's a mess, there's still Schierke and more Puck to look forward to.

phaze

K-on ! 11-13 END

Kumiko is just a knock-off Yui, who knew ?

An uneven mix of decently entertaining and dull. But all of it trite and ultimately forgettable. Clearly S2 is all about "oh fuck we have wasted 2 years of our lives doing fuck all". But I guess I have to take back some of the bad things I wrote about the first festival performance. Since they had to pack two within the single cour, it makes sense they tried something else for the first one, thus not robbing the ep 12 concert of its novelty and impact.

John Blade

Where in the world are you where flowering tress are already full of color?!

This picture is taken in Toronto, Canada in a big park here. The weather is just right and the flower manage to pop up quick and they is quite a bit of cherry blossom tree at the park which is fun to see. Unfortunately, this only last for a week before it's gone and manage to took it few days ago during my lunch as I know I won't able to take them if I wait too long. I do take more pics there and you can check it on the link (https://flic.kr/s/aHskVVbD6W). This is actually my 1st time seeing Japanese cherry blossom in real life. I did try last year but the weather isn't nice and it never did come by. Still worth it if you ever have the chance to go to see it whether it's in Japan or oversea.

Not anime but people like Japanese cherry blossom here so...have one where I live and took some pics. Wish it last longer but can't be too choosy. Also, saw few cosplay people going there for a photo shoot. Not surprising but fun to watch them with people taking pics of them there.

DSC05628 by .John.Blade., on Flickr

DSC05690 by .John.Blade., on Flickr

DSC05717 by .John.Blade., on Flickr

Nice, that's definitely High Park. Me and my girlfriend are planning on taking my dog there for a walk this weekend.

Kado - 04

Nice, this episode's focus was on the drawbacks of Wam and how it could affect the entire world. I mean let's be honest, this was such a glaring issue to me as soon as they were presented to Japan, that I was afraid it would go down the nationalistic rabbit hole, and having every single country in the world be ok with the fact that they own unlimited energy in the boatloads. zaShunina seems to want equality in terms of how this energy is spread, rather than it being controlled by one single entity, namely the UN. He also seems to have an idea on how to actually do this. I'll be interested in seeing how they do it.

Berserk 17

Now I won't give this show too much guff for failing to make Flora look old in most shots. I imagine CG wrinkles are somewhat challenging.

What I will give it guff for is the overabundance of crane shots. There's like 6 in this episode, and they're all just...why?

Kado - 04

Nice, this episode's focus was on the drawbacks of Wam and how it could affect the entire world. I mean let's be honest, this was such a glaring issue to me as soon as they were presented to Japan, that I was afraid it would go down the nationalistic rabbit hole, and having every single country in the world be ok with the fact that they own unlimited energy in the boatloads. zaShunina seems to want equality in terms of how this energy is spread, rather than it being controlled by one single entity, namely the UN. He also seems to have an idea on how to actually do this. I'll be interested in seeing how they do it.

Based on the alien's statements and the next episode preview, my supposition is that he plans to use Kado to transform the scientist (and others?) into kind of weaponized Wam vessels who can be inserted into an area to directly distribute the energy to individuals. But we'll see.

Qurupeke

Rage of Bahamut: Genesis [END]

I really enjoyed this, even if it abandoned its more adventurous nature halfway and became JRPG as fuck, leaving a lot to be desired. Honestly, I didn't dislike that direction that much, and it wasn't really surprising anyway, but I could do with a bit more Favaro and Amira on the final few episodes.

Anyway, spoilers I guess:

- I was trying to figure out why did Beelzebub wanted to unleash Bahamut on the world, considering it had been established as a huge power above gods and devils. Turned out he was just the winner of a demon Darwin award.
- I felt terrible for Amira, it was like she couldn't catch a break after a certain point. Quite the tragic character. On a lesser extend, the same applies for Jeanne. I really liked both of them and it's almost like the show punished me for that...
-I completely take back anything I said about Favaro, I liked him a lot and he certainly had some of the better scenes. Hell, even Kaiser, who is basically the de facto unlikable character because of his over chivalrous nature, was great. The characters were certainly one of the show's biggest strengths.
-Ugh, Martinet. I disliked that guy. I feel that they didn't really explain his motives that well, other than "chaos <3" and he seemed to be behind everything to boot. I'm usually a fan of this trope, but there's something that really bugs me on this case. At least his death was satisfying.

Time to catch up on Virgin Soul now.

Kado 4

I appreciate the show's respect towards its audience where even when they try to paint Japan in a positive light compared to other countries it isn't in an overbearing manner like GATE that crossed the threshold to comedy.

In here we are shown realistic reasons as to why other countries would be opposed, and why the country in the position of Japan would be between Iraq and a hard place. I think someone in the show directly states and makes the comparison fairly obvious. Wam is an all powerful infinite energy supply that humanity has little knowledge about with only preliminary studies done at this point. How is humanity, who can't even properly handle nuclear weapons without a massive council, supposed to handle Wam without causing wars and huge issues?

Zoboomafoo even brings into question the use of countries in a fair assessment from an alien perspective. When you bring a gift to humanity and you need to worry about governments, here lies a very basic problem with the system in place. Now people don't want to share the bread. Speaking of, I don't know if Zoboomafoo is supposed to be a Jesus-like figure, but with the bread analogy it'd be hilarious if he's supposed to be that.

On a lighter note in the episode, I like how the show can have fun with its characters in this hyper bureocratic narrative. We have the lead girl shown in a youtube video bursting out with laughter and then playing it off as a cough. Who among us hasn't done that lmao. And then she thinks that hitting dislike multiple times does a difference lmao. A fairly easy measure to make a contrast between the alien and the humans where even these professionals can have their cute side. And was that a hint of a romantic rivalry/tension I'm sensing between short hair girl, who seems to have romantic feelings for Shido, and the new diplomatic girl?

I can't stop my discussion of the episode though without the biggest fuck up. What the hell show, you were doing such a great job of keeping Kawaii scientist at fucking arm's length with minimal screentime, and the
final scene makes it seem she will now have a bigger role
. The writer hasn't given me reason to doubt him yet, I hope he doesn't begin with this now.

Rage of Bahamut Virgin Soul 4

Show is still entertaining and all but it's now gone from having Favaro be fashionably late to straight up be missing in action and it's a glaring issue for me. Azazel isn't leading man material for this show, I don't care for a Sasuke wanna be demon badass with a short temper. Nina's whole gag of blushing and running away from men has outstayed its welcome and is now grating. Kaisar as a chivalrous knight also isn't enough to counterbalance all of the rest. He only really works as a counter and a foil to Favaro's rogue nature and without him he is just a boring pretty boy. He also worked well alongside Rita, but their interactions are few and far away and Rita seems to opt to be more of a wise zombie sensei. Nobody is really playing off well with each other.

I think the king is a decent antagonist. in the sense that he seems to represent all of the worst and the most cunning of humanity in a ruler. The new mute boy doesn't bring anything to the table because he really has no character, he seems to be there to be a plot device at some point in the future. Favaro is the glue that holds most of these characters together and without him this show is just a spectacle for the eyes but that's about it.

Come home Ronnie D, save this show before I lose interest.

Quasar

Tsukigakirei 4 - Man. This is not normally me, but even I was distracted by this animes crowds. Otherwise though I liked it a lot. It doubled down on mobile phones and people's relationship to them, as well as the shows use of long awkward silences. Shows don't normally do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom