• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2017 |OT| Don't be a SukaSuka for Gacha

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dunno if this is the right thread for this or not, but I just finished watching Sword Art Online and fucking loved it (especially the first half), and I'm looking for recommendations on other shows to watch. I know next to nothing about anime, so I really don't know what to seek out or even where to find it. Any ideas would be appreciated!

Madoka Magica
Gurren Lagann
Code Geass

Those are good to get you started.

KraytarJ

I dunno if this is the right thread for this or not, but I just finished watching Sword Art Online and fucking loved it (especially the first half), and I'm looking for recommendations on other shows to watch. I know next to nothing about anime, so I really don't know what to seek out or even where to find it. Any ideas would be appreciated!
If you want to continue down the same video game-y thing I'd suggest Log Horizon (probably the best anime set in a game world) which goes for more diplomacy and world-building than SAO and Re: Zero (not necessarily set in a game but it still has a similar foundation) which is a much more grim story than either LH or SAO but I'd say has the best MC of the three.

zulux21

did you watch both seasons of sword art online or just the first one?
as if you got through the second half of the first season and still loved it then no doubt you will love the second season as well.

if you don't mind watching stuff in japanese I recommend the irregular at magic high.
No game no life would also be a fun watch.
one punch man likely as well.
code geass is a lot of fun.
and I could keep going for a while :p

If you want to continue down the same video game-y thing I'd suggest Log Horizon (probably the best anime set in a game world) which goes for more diplomacy and world-building than SAO and Re: Zero (not necessarily set in a game but it still has a similar foundation) which is a much more grim story than either LH or SAO but I'd say has the best MC of the three.

eh... the main character from re:zero is simultaneously better and way worse than the main characters of the other two.... when he is fun he is fun... but when he isn't he is way worse than the other shows ever get to lol.

also while I enjoyed log horizon, sword art was a far more fun watch.... you really have to be in the mood for diplomacy to get real enjoyment from log horizon.

In addition to the other shows already mentioned, I'd pitch in a recommendation for Overlord as well for something similar to SAO. It might not be the best anime about an MMO-esque world, but it's a fun power fantasy starring "the bad guys" as they seek to conquer the world.

As far as other recommendations outside of the "trapped in a game" theme, there's so many, but I'll throw out a couple personal favorites just to put them out there since it's hard to gauge your tastes from one show: Fate/Zero & Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex.

KraytarJ

Virgin Soul 1 & 2
Rewatched them with the added context genesis gave and boy does that ever change things. First, I'm really not sure about Azazel being portrayed as this sympathetic and morally upstanding character after just how horrible he was in Genesis. Also not sure about trying to make people feel bad for the demons after not only all the terrible shit they did to the humans in Genesis but also their top brass were the ones responsible for reviving Bahamut in the first place. Also Nina is basically a continuation of Amira honestly, just with thirst instead of hunger. Good to see Rita back with whatever the hell her current situation is now (Nag Demon is the standout line of the first two episodes).

Narag

What about the first half did you like? If you could expound on those elements, you'll get some better recs than just from having liked SAO itself.

My Hero Academia(superheroes in a world with 80% of the world having powers) and Haikyu(sports, lots of heart, will get you hype) are some of my personal favourite anime of all time and I highly recommend them!

Other then that these are great.
Noragami(gods, action with comedy+drama)
Food Wars(about food competition, lots of fun interaction)
Seven Deadly sins(fantasy, demon, fairies, etc)
Gundan Iron blooded orphans(mechas)
Psycho pass (Police, drama with action)

All of these can be watched on Crunchyroll with subs except for Seven deadly sins that's on Netflix.

You can watch My Hero Academia, Psycho and Noragami dubbed on funimation

zulux21

do you recommend my hero academia for any reason? lol

well it has it all.

I mean you want a yaoi series.
MHA has you covered as clearly most of the guys in the class want to be with the main character.

want a yuri series.
clearly the girls all love each other.

want a romance
clearly the main female and frog girl will build a harem

want a slice of life
you get to watch the main character struggle

want an action series with none of that slice of life bullshit
all the characters are bad ass super heroes what more do you need.

want something artistic
anime is drawings there you go

want a sports show
they got that covered too just with super powers

ect :3

If somebody ask for recommendations where My Hero wouldnt fit, I don't. But if the person is open and doesn't specify then I have no reason not to push my favorite show :p

Me recommending My Hero also always came with a postive response too so yea :D

Edit: Seeing Zulux post makes me realize that MHA does fit into all genres :O

Edit2:snap except mechas :/ almost all genres then!

Cornbread78

*High 5*

SAO was my gateway drug as well only a couple years ago!

Gurren Legann was my 2nd

Then Medoka

Then Clannad & Clannad After Story..

The rest is history.

If you really liked the fantasy elements give Rage of the Bahamut a try then Moribito.

Clov

well it has it all.

I mean you want a yaoi series.
MHA has you covered as clearly most of the guys in the class want to be with the main character.

want a yuri series.
clearly the girls all love each other.

want a romance
clearly the main female and frog girl will build a harem

want a slice of life
you get to watch the main character struggle

want an action series with none of that slice of life bullshit
all the characters are bad ass super heroes what more do you need.

want something artistic
anime is drawings there you go

want a sports show
they got that covered too just with super powers

ect :3

I feel like if someone asks you for something artistic, they're probably looking for more than just drawings. I mean, Violence Jack has drawings, but I wouldn't recommend it to someone looking for an artistic work.

I'm looking for an anime that treats LGBT characters with respect, and goes further than just silly teases. Can MHA give me that? I guess that's not too fair to ask though, given it's Japan we're talking about here.

I feel like if someone asks you for something artistic, they're probably looking for more than just drawings. I mean, Violence Jack has drawings, but I wouldn't recommend it to someone looking for an artistic work.

I'm looking for an anime that treats LGBT characters with respect, and goes further than just silly teases. Can MHA give me that? I guess that's not too fair to ask though, given it's Japan we're talking about here.
MHA does have a transgender character that's treated with respect. The character just hasn't been animated yet.

zulux21

I really would have thought that my listing of slice of life stuff and then listing it as an action show without that slice of life bullshit would have been enough to make it clear I was joking around *shrugs*

Clov

MHA does have a transgender character that's treated with respect. The character just hasn't been animated yet.

He's right. A minor character but still.

Well, I'm pleasantly surprised! It's still not my kind of anime, but I'm glad more genres in anime/manga are starting to portray these characters more respectfully. A while ago on my Twitter dash, I saw some pages from a shounen manga (its name escapes me) that had an intersex character. I didn't have the full context, but it seemed to be portrayed pretty seriously, not as a joke or anything. It's little things like this that make me happy.

I really would have thought that my listing of slice of life stuff and then listing it as an action show without that slice of life bullshit would have been enough to make it clear I was joking around *shrugs*

Sorry, I just can't tell with you sometimes.

zulux21

Sorry, I just can't tell with you sometimes.

I'm actually pretty consist ant if you are paying attention.

any time I end a post with a :3 face it's to signify that I am being a smart ass.

most of the time I end a post with a :p there is typically a joke or a tease in there.

and pretty much any time I don't have some sort of face in my post I am being serious (which isn't to often lol)

but I get it lol. There is a reason I use crazy Maka as my avatar as it fits my personality of rarely being serious.

Clov

I'm actually pretty consist ant if you are paying attention.

any time I end a post with a :3 face it's to signify that I am being a smart ass.

most of the time I end a post with a :p there is typically a joke or a tease in there.

and pretty much any time I don't have some sort of face in my post I am being serious (which isn't to often lol)

but I get it lol. There is a reason I use crazy Maka as my avatar as it fits my personality of rarely being serious.

I'll try to keep that in mind from now on, then.

On a different note, I think the Mind Game blu-ray Kickstarter is going to end very soon, so pledge now if any of you want to get a copy.

zulux21

I'll try to keep that in mind from now on, then.

On a different note, I think the Mind Game blu-ray Kickstarter is going to end very soon, so pledge now if any of you want to get a copy.

It's all good. I don't expect most people in here to take me seriously anyways. I mean my tastes are quite a bit different from most people in here that it's just easier to pretend I am never serious then people having reactions to me saying stuff like Sword Art online is a more enjoyable show than Maid Dragon.

though my tastes aren't quite as unique as DTL's lol.

about the only person I know my tastes line up well with is corn.

Also thanks for the kickstarter reminder.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance

Sounds like you might be looking for something like Ms. Kobiyashi's Dragon Maid.

Clov

Sounds like you might be looking for something like Ms. Kobiyashi's Dragon Maid.

I've seen Dragon Maid actually. Not my favorite show due to some pretty questionable elements involving the younger characters, though I did like the relationship between Tooru and Kobayashi. While it's nothing outstanding, it was portrayed in a surprisingly nice way. The website Anime Feminism had a lot of their writers list it as their "problematic favorite"; they had a pretty interesting perspective on it.

While I haven't seen it myself yet, I've heard good things about a 2016 anime film by the name of Doukyuusei.

Rihito Sajou is an honor student who got perfect scores in every subject on his high school entrance exam. Hikaru Kusakabe plays guitar in his band that performs at live events and is popular among the girls. These boys would have never crossed paths. But one day Hikaru offers to help Rihito prepare for their upcoming chorus festival and the two begin to talk. As the two meet after school, they feel one another's sound, listen to each other's voice, and begin to harmonize as their hearts beat together.

It starts out slow but soon their feelings for one another grow and in just one moment they both realize that it is love. Hikaru's emotions are frivolous, pure, and direct causing Rihito to hesitate at first, but he gradually opens his heart. The boys are learning about each other as they also learn about themselves and support one another during this difficult time typical to youth. As the time to start thinking about their futures approaches, what do these young men find as they try to move forward...

sonicmj1

Wandering Son centers primarily on two middle school students struggling with their gender identity. It's definitely worth watching.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Dokyuusei is a good movie about two gay characters although they're kind of repressing the gay part.

JulianImp

Wandering Son centers primarily on two middle school students struggling with their gender identity. It's definitely worth watching.

This so much. It was one of the few anime series I've watched where non-standard gender identity wasn't merely relegated to overly flamboyant guys and bisexual girls that happen to be characterized that way only because they're evil and girl-on-girl is a turn-on for some.

Virgin Soul is turning out to be better than last season and Boruto is actually pretty endearing so im getting back into an anime mood.

Rate and help me pick a show from one of these.

Ajin(that 3D makes me very wary, can't handle another Berserk)
Gatchaman Crowds
Soukyuu no Fafner
Bungou Stray Dogs
Concrete Revolutio(why the fuck is there no "N" here? goddamn anime and their latin)

JulianImp

Virgin Soul is turning out to be better than last season and Boruto is actually pretty endearing so im getting back into an anime mood.

Gatchaman Crowds
Soukyuu no Fafner
Bungou Stray Dogs
Concrete Revolutio(why the fuck is there no "N" here? goddamn anime and their latin)

Gatchaman was fairly nice in its first season, but the second one was pretty meh as it got way too ham-fisted about the themes it wanted to convey and didn't really do all that much with them. I honestly expected I'd end up hating Hajime, but she ended up quite the good protagonist. :>

I ended up dropping Bungou Stray Dogs after it failed to interest me three or so episodes in, but people around here have praised parts of it (particulairly during S2, I think), so you might want to ask around a bit more.

Narag

Gatchaman Crowds
Soukyuu no Fafner
Bungou Stray Dogs

Either Bungou Stray Dogs or Concrete Revolutio.

Gatchaman Crowds
Soukyuu no Fafner
Bungou Stray Dogs

Fafner is a good franchise, but it takes some time investment before you actually get to the good stuff due to the original series starting very weak. Concrete Revolutio is also good, though it can get messy and knowledge of 20th century Japanese political and cultural history helps a lot in appreciating it due to the massive amount of references to real-world events it has. Perhaps Bungo Stray Dogs would be the easiest to get into, although it also has some problems figuring out how to balance its tone at the beginning. At any rate, I'd recommend all three of those series.

Kado 4
download.png

Yeah, that's about right.

A good episode, though mostly buildup. I know the switching between 2D to CG rapidly bothers some people, but I wanna give the show props for having the CG characters emote pretty well, even if it is in somewhat more standard anime-esque fashions.

Ascheroth

Clockwork Planet 04

This looks so cheap. But yeah, the music is good
But the uniqueness of the world and Naotos and RyuZus amusing interactions are good enough, I guess.

Kado 04

So good.
Humans can't even handle nuclear weapons, what would they do with infinite energy indeed.
Really liked how the Wam's drawback was adressed. Infinite clean energy is good and all, but it would totally break the law of conservation of energy if mishandled. Never thought about that.

How many years has it been since Bravely Default? And here I am at 1:30 am listening to the live version of Love's Vagrant.

And today I learned it's the same man who made my favorite attack on Titan theme song

Man God

Non-Canon Member
How many years has it been since Bravely Default? And here I am at 1:30 am listening to the live version of Love's Vagrant.

And today I learned it's the same man who made my favorite attack on Titan theme song

It's the guitar riff, I knew it immediately. Anyways BD:FF was 2012 in Japan 2013 in Europe and 2014 in the US.

MartyStu

Virgin Soul 4

Look, it was cute for a little bit, but now I man legit annoyed: where the fuck is Favoro.

I am really liking the show, but his absence is a bit glaring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom