• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2017 |OT| Don't be a SukaSuka for Gacha

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Cantonese Gintama, Cantonese Hayate, Cantonese Full Metal Alchemist... my brain is literally being destroyed by Chinese cartoons.

In Korea with no internet. Gotta walk a mile for wifi. Once I get to my barracks I'll be able to buy a sub but I'll have to use a VPN since Crunchyroll doesn't seem to work here otherwise :/

Jex

[Kado: The Right Answer] - 4

Let me say this up front - I'm all in favor of serious sci-fi stories. As such, I'm already biased towards a concept like Kado, even if the scenario presented isn't exactly original. For the most part, I am enjoying this series and it's ideas. However, I have some reservations.

I'm still not sold on Shindo as this 'ubermensch'. Everyone in the series worships the ground he walks on but I don't feel like he's demonstrated any particular talents beyond being level-headed. Shindo is always supposed to be the smartest guy in the room, but the writing never actually shows how he's smarter than anyone else. Instead, almost as a substitute for actually having to prove his intelligence, everyone else just fawns over him constantly.

I'm not thrilled about some of the other characters, either. Tsukai was initially established as a counter to Shindo, literally in the sense that they were representing the two different sides in this meeting. However, even though she's supposedly an extremely skilled and successful bureaucrat and negotiator at the highest level of government, the series has to make her 'cute' and in doing so weaken her characters. It's unlikely that someone in her position would be so emotionally transparent and easily flustered - it just doesn't fit with the job that she occupies. Lets not even talk about the scientist lady. It just feels so tonally out of place - as if I was watching Legend of the Galactic Heroes except that there's randomly a moe character inserted into the cast.

Jintor

Is anyone else still watching Pokemon Sun/Moon? I remember there was some chatter about it when it first came out, and I watch it once in a while in batches with my girlfriend.

It's honestly kind of dope. Apart from the animation which is almost always on point, a few of the stories are actually honestly really well shot and directed. Shoutout to the Litten episode 21 which is honestly really effecting in a silent movie kind of way.

Qurupeke

Rage of Bahamut: Virgin Soul 2-4

The fact this is apparently 24 episodes seems to work against it. While the first 4 episodes have done a mostly good job showing off the new characters and re-establishing the setting and its changes, I'm not very happy with the pacing. We're still in the capital, I've seen Azazel attack and retreat more than a couple of times and the whole show ends up kind of monotonous to me. The show has potential though and the characters continue to be the best part of it.

However, I still think that it's terrible they're redeeming Azazel. Azazel is not even a "grey" character or an anti hero on my book, he's a bad guy with a soft side. And Kaiser has totally forgotten that this is the guy that killed his father, organized an attack on the city that left everything devastated and tortured Amira, and I'm sure there are more... I get that humans aren't the good guys either and they're committing a lot of atrocities, but I'm just accepting all of this because the concept of racism and prejudices in that world's society is rather interesting and something that S1 was missing.

Nina is a real surprise this season, as I'm liking her more and more with each episode. She kind of resembles both Amira and Favaro in certain ways, but she's also unique enough to stand out on her own. Her quirk is cute too and even if it's overused, I think it creates many different humorous situation. I'm patiently waiting for Favaro's return, as I'm sure their interactions will be gold.

My Hero Academia 18

Oh shiiìiiit! I BLINKED AND IT WAS OVER!

They nailed everything right. The recipro burst and the sense of speed was sooooo good. The impact frames comboed with Kaminari's face was 10/10. Bakugo's crazy and funny antics (him falling on on face at the end LOL) made him the best character this episode. Monoma will forever regret messing with him, Bakugo is one of the most stubborn guy ever. Midoriya's team though...MVP! Tokoyami best.

But they really nailed every quirk animation. Everything looked powerful and amazing. They also nailed the character interaction like always...these guys! I love em all!

I would have loved to post pics, but sadly my pc died on me and adding images from my phone is too hard....so text only :(

convo

However, I still think that it's terrible they're redeeming Azazel. Azazel is not even a "grey" character or an anti hero on my book, he's a bad guy with a soft side. And Kaiser has totally forgotten that this is the guy that killed his father, organized an attack on the city that left everything devastated and tortured Amira, and I'm sure there are more... I get that humans aren't the good guys either and they're committing a lot of atrocities, but I'm just accepting all of this because the concept of racism and prejudices in that world's society is rather interesting and something that S1 was missing.

Nina is a real surprise this season, as I'm liking her more and more with each episode. She kind of resembles both Amira and Favaro in certain ways, but she's also unique enough to stand out on her own. Her quirk is cute too and even if it's overused, I think it creates many different humorous situation. I'm patiently waiting for Favaro's return, as I'm sure their interactions will be gold.

Azazel was a bastard but even in the first season Kaiser had an arc where he understood that revenge shouldn't be his reason for existence.Azazel has been on a redemptive quest for his people which i did not expect coming from last season either. I'm curious how their future interactions will go.
Also i find it funny how Favaro seems to not be Nina's type at all if she can talk shit about him.

I dunno if this is the right thread for this or not, but I just finished watching Sword Art Online and fucking loved it (especially the first half), and I'm looking for recommendations on other shows to watch. I know next to nothing about anime, so I really don't know what to seek out or even where to find it. Any ideas would be appreciated!

You can find anime on hulu, on netflix, on funimation, amazon, and crunchyroll.

I suggest

Guilty Crown (hulu, funimation)
Glasslip (crunchyroll)
Accel World (hulu, amazon) - same writer as sao
Hand Shakers (crunchyroll, funimation)
M3 (daisuki)
BLast of Tempest (crunchyroll)
The Irregular at Magic High School (hulu, crunchyroll)
Free! (Crunchyroll, funimation)
God Eater (crunchyroll, hulu, daisuki)

blurr

My Hero Academia 18

Well, this turned out more or less how I expected haha.

Not a fan of the extended build up with the teams running towards Todoroki only to result in a time-out joke. It's just a game I suppose.

Why so clothed :(
C-eJoWEUIAI-lS-.jpg:large

Chase17

Hero Academia 18
Good episode. Momona trolling, Bakugo being Bakugo, and Kaminari spacing out were all great. Also the two seconds of Tokoyami in wind/rain in a cloak lol.

Boruto 4

Probably a fireable offense to let your students destroy the school.

Franziska

Finished Nozaki-kun. The Chiyo/Nozaki relation was annoying but it was great otherwise. Highlights include Tomoda, Mamikoshiba and Boxes.

Clov

Wandering Son centers primarily on two middle school students struggling with their gender identity. It's definitely worth watching.

This so much. It was one of the few anime series I've watched where non-standard gender identity wasn't merely relegated to overly flamboyant guys and bisexual girls that happen to be characterized that way only because they're evil and girl-on-girl is a turn-on for some.

I've seen both of these actually, and I love them; especially Wandering Son, which has some of the best portrayals of trans people in the anime medium. Brilliant show; I wish there was more of it, or at least a BD release of it over here. Doukyusei on the other hand was a very sweet, intimate film. My favorite of last year, in fact. I hope we get a sequel!

Virgin Soul is turning out to be better than last season and Boruto is actually pretty endearing so im getting back into an anime mood.

Rate and help me pick a show from one of these.

Ajin(that 3D makes me very wary, can't handle another Berserk)
Gatchaman Crowds
Soukyuu no Fafner
Bungou Stray Dogs
Concrete Revolutio(why the fuck is there no "N" here? goddamn anime and their latin)

I'm super biased in this case, but the only one of these I've seen is Gatchaman Crowds and I love it. It's colorful, the characters are lovable, and it has an interesting message. The protagonist, Hajime, can be a bit divisive; she's very energetic and very positive, and never lets up. If you don't like her, you probably won't enjoy the show. The first season is also better than the second, which stumbles somewhat, but I still loved it.

Speaking of positive LGBT characters, this one has a few! While OD falls into the tired "okama" stereotype, nobody makes fun of his sexuality and he doesn't harass anyone. He's a valued member of the team like anyone else. My personal favorite, Rui, can very easily be read as a non-binary character; I think Sentai's official subs might even refer to Rui using they/them pronouns, but I'd have to rewatch my BDs again to be sure. Either way, I love their character, who gets an interesting arc in both seasons.

In any case, I loved the show. Check it out if you want something very colorful and positive, or if you're a fan of the director's previous works (Mononoke, Trapeze, etc) and want to see what they last did.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
My Hero Academia Season 2, Episode 5:

Ah yes and so the natural order of the underdog comes time in the end for Deku to job hard enough to put him back into that position as much as it can without excising him. I think it might be a bit late to put that geneie back in the bottle since in-universe he is regarded as a top rival still.

John Blade

I am watching Kamichu and in Ep 2 right now and to tell the turth, I am liking this interesting world this show is in (in modem Japan but some unusual stuff living in it but can't be seen by human). The god thing is just throw at you when you start watching which is odd and confusing as you don't know why the MC got it but it get interesting as you continue watching the show. Also, have a slice of life feel which make it more easier to watch.

pbayne

Gundam Build Fighters 4

Might drop this here. Just doesn't really grab me. Like its fine but the two leads are dull and there's no real cleverness or much interesting behind the fights either.
Lol plus it like watching yugioh without all the crazy magic bullshit...so its just kids playing a game and taking it way too seriously.

Codiox

Hey guys, didn't watch anime this year as of now, but want to jump back in. What's this year's best shows so far?

Chase17

Attack on Titan 30

Oh hey, it's the A team. Eren screwing up was pretty funny.

Enjoyed the Christa/Ymir stuff this episode. Hopefully surrounding characters continue to get built up.

Curious to know what could have prompted Ymir to attack humans? Although since it looks like she's gone I guess it will be a bit until we learn that.

Gundam Build Fighters 4

Might drop this here. Just doesn't really grab me. Like its fine but the two leads are dull and there's no real cleverness or much interesting behind the fights either.
Lol plus it like watching yugioh without all the crazy magic bullshit...so its just kids playing a game and taking it way too seriously.

That's what makes it good.

Hey guys, didn't watch anime this year as of now, but want to jump back in. What's this year's best shows so far?
This season, My Hero Academia is the best followed by Tsukigakirei.

Last season, Konosuba, Gundam Iron blooded orphans and Tales of Zestiria the X were the best.

The fact this is apparently 24 episodes seems to work against it. While the first 4 episodes have done a mostly good job showing off the new characters and re-establishing the setting and its changes, I'm not very happy with the pacing. We're still in the capital, I've seen Azazel attack and retreat more than a couple of times and the whole show ends up kind of monotonous to me. The show has potential though and the characters continue to be the best part of it.

Especially compared to S1 which had the benefit of having "Adventure" as a genre

They should've either condensed some of these events, made the setting feel like its own character, or introduce more twists at the end of each episode. As of now it feels like Nina hasn't adopted a new goal of any kind, which is weird for a main character. Even a "I want to learn more about the capital's circumstances" monologue from her would've set something up for Ep.5.

MHA episode 18
C-lar5_CU0_AA_y9_G.jpg

That's the look of a hero.

So we're starting to get introduced Endeavor, a character I've always found a bit limp.

The idea that he's number 2 just doesn't seem right in this universe.

Zestiria X 25 (End)

Eh, I guess that was an ending. Pretty ambivalent towards it, same as I felt towards the game, since the build up to it was pretty badly done.

[Kado: The Right Answer] - 4

Let me say this up front - I'm all in favor of serious sci-fi stories. As such, I'm already biased towards a concept like Kado, even if the scenario presented isn't exactly original. For the most part, I am enjoying this series and it's ideas. However, I have some reservations.

I'm still not sold on Shindo as this 'ubermensch'. Everyone in the series worships the ground he walks on but I don't feel like he's demonstrated any particular talents beyond being level-headed. Shindo is always supposed to be the smartest guy in the room, but the writing never actually shows how he's smarter than anyone else. Instead, almost as a substitute for actually having to prove his intelligence, everyone else just fawns over him constantly.

I'm not thrilled about some of the other characters, either. Tsukai was initially established as a counter to Shindo, literally in the sense that they were representing the two different sides in this meeting. However, even though she's supposedly an extremely skilled and successful bureaucrat and negotiator at the highest level of government, the series has to make her 'cute' and in doing so weaken her characters. It's unlikely that someone in her position would be so emotionally transparent and easily flustered - it just doesn't fit with the job that she occupies. Lets not even talk about the scientist lady. It just feels so tonally out of place - as if I was watching Legend of the Galactic Heroes except that there's randomly a moe character inserted into the cast.

Did you watch episode 0? I feel like that did a good job showing why people seem to like Shindo so much + why he's considered intelligent/successful.

Tuck

Attack on Titan - 30
Good episode, lots of action. Is Jean still alive? I feel like we haven't seen or heard him in a long while?

phaze

Gundam Build Fighters 4

Think I only warmed up to it a bit further, when the tournament proper started in earnest I think. I guess that might be bit too far for you and I'm certainly not going to held the show up as some masterpiece but it's pretty good and sports some great mecha animation further down the line.

I'd recommend:
Konosuba S2
Kuzu no Honkai
March Comes in Like a Lion
Eccentric Family S2
Shingeki no Bahamut: Virgin Soul

(jury still out on the last two)

KraytarJ

My Hero Academia 18
First taste of Todoroki vs. Midoriya and it's as sweet as it sounds, Iida and Tokoyami coming up clutch, but I can only imagine what the battle of Todoroki and Midoriya could look like if they both had full command over their arsenals. Also, for a team with such a sound strategy why would that class B group think prodding Bakugo was smart? From what I've seen Endeavor really seems like Bakugo's dad tbh.

Did you watch episode 0? I feel like that did a good job showing why people seem to like Shindo so much + why he's considered intelligent/successful.

Episode 0 kind of had the same problem that Jexhius complained about though - most of the way that episode demonstrated Shindo was a super negotiator is by having other people state at him in awe and explicitly tell the audience that he is a super negotiator. The metalworking plant scenario provided was rather weak in itself. Also having his sidekick be a goofy spaz seems primarily intended to elevate Shindo even more by comparison, which is a bit annoying. I continue to feel that Kado is a nearly total failure on the character front. Its strengths lie in the intellectual speculation it is engaging in - although I've seen elsewhere the good point that having the UN act so quickly and unanimously against Japan in this episode weakens the plausibility of the scenario. It would be nice if there was a bit more subtlety and complexity on the international front rather than jumping straight to the entire world isolating Japan, which looks to be leaping even further into unified military action against Japan next episode.

Tonton

Love Live! Sunshine!! 09

idk i kinda didn't buy Kanan's whole attitude so the emotional moments fell kinda flat for me

At least the whole cast is assembled now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom