• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2017 |OT| Don't be a SukaSuka for Gacha

Status
Not open for further replies.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Hero Academia 18

-You thought Naruto was flagrant with the flash backs.. Here we have flashbacks for previous weeks eps lol.. But all in all a good result to this battle round.

Anyone know how many total eps we are getting this season???
24ish

Jintor

hero aca seems to mostly be consigning its flashbacks to taking up the first 1-2 minutes of runtime. annoying but at least consistent

AoT - 30

I've warmed up to this OP. It's awesome lol. I'm also impressed by the fact that production this time is sailing smoothly. Pretty sure they know what they have in their hands with this series, so they have to put that extra polish into it. This was the most hype induced episode yet from this season also. Quite a bunch of action sequences this week, and those were needed since they were what the show was most well known for.

Yu-Gi-Oh! ZEXAL Season 1 Episode 22 – The Shark Hunter
C-nfN-_XcAA8DCT.jpg:small

Darn is Shark going to be THAT character, the one who tries to win but just keeps losing causes the animators dont like him that much, even when he tries his hardest. I cant. I like him alot.

Jarmel

Banned
I just wanted to say that the new season of Attack on Titan is ridiculously gorgeous. It's absolutely absurd how good looking this show is now. More high end shows should apply the digital makeup technique at WIT.
good lord

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I know some people are into Eccentric Family, and I just noticed that NHK's Imagine-nation did an episode on the second season (featuring some talk about Kyoto and some interviews with anime staff) if anyone is interested:
https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/vod/imagine/20170425/

It's available until May 2nd, since for some reason NHK doesn't understand how the internet works and just flushes everything after a couple of weeks.

(Going down weird Asian-related media rabbit holes this weekend, it seems)

I just wanted to say that the new season of Attack on Titan is ridiculously gorgeous. It's absolutely absurd how good looking this show is now. More high end shows should apply the digital makeup technique at WIT.

good lord

Totally agree. And it is like I mentioned, even though there is that extra polish, so far, the production has remained fairly consistent. This episode specifically was a definitive high point of the season thus far. They sure put a lot of work into animating the snowstorm and specially Ymir's titan fight, which was just awesome.

Yeah Attack on Titan S2 looks really good. Its like the best looking shots of Season 1 with the facial detail all the time. It looks so much better then the manga that its hilarious, and it does a good job translating what Isayama is good at into anime form - good layouts and shots.

It's also become harder to make fun of Toei.

Truly strange times.

Yeah with Tiger Mask W and certain episodes of Dragon Ball and One Piece, Toei has been doing good recently.

The story is much easier to follow too. With the manga I fell off the hype train for one because of those monthly waits. I'd forget what events took place in the previous chapter, and overall, things got way too talky for me. With the weekly format it's super easy to remember characters, faces, and with the way they are directing this it just doesn't feel like I am staring at characters blabber without things getting anywhere. AoT 2 so far is a great continuation of the first season.

ill watch Attack on Titan S2 once the cool thing in the manga happens where Eren (manga spoiler)
screams and controls the Titans
. Because then I can watch it all in one go and pretend that's where the show ends because the next arc is boooooooooooooooooooooring

ill watch Attack on Titan S2 once the cool thing in the manga happens where Eren (manga spoiler)
screams and controls the Titans
. Because then I can watch it all in one go and pretend that's where the show ends because the next arc is boooooooooooooooooooooring

That is going to be totally the final episode of this season.

Crocodile

i cant even make fun of WIT anymore

what is this world coming to???

WIT still has been abusing still shots, pans and ACTION LINES but I think this time they are all intentional rather than budget/scheduling shortcuts. Hopefully the rest of AoT S2 goes well.

Kabuki Club Episode 2
C-ntpwTW0AA3GEE.jpg:small

Am I the only one still watching? Glad we finally got one person to join the club, his dancing will be wonderful.I think Ebihara could learn from him, maybe.
I would watch it. I watched episode one as soon an amazon Canada put it on prime video. But sadly they decided we did not deserve more then episode 1 :(

They told me it should be fixed too. Amazon is the worst.

HEYBOT! 31

Alright, its time to level with you guys when it comes to HEYBOT! Lets get real here - this show is really good. Its a lot like Gintama in a few ways - meta humor (that manages not to be annoying) with constant character specific gags, reference humor without it feeling like a crutch and extremely esoteric humor. But the things that are so fucking INSANE about HEYBOT! are...high in number. I think the first would be how good the show looks. Or maybe it would be more accurate to say how much effort the team puts into stupid gimmicks.

A pretty large chunk of this episode is in pixel-ish art style, sometimes only for half a second before moving to something else but theres always details thrown in. I'm not kidding when I say that this show is surprisingly well storyboarded and animated.

Second, HEYBOT! is at times straight up nonsense. OK well its always nonsense, but sometimes the gags are so rapid-fire that they don't even bother to connect or make sense with anything. Its what I would call "stream of consciousness animation" where it feels like the animators are just doing whatever the fuck they want and slapping it together into an episode that is loosely connected and only held together by hopes and dreams. It feels like the people given key roles on the episode will just be given a summary of the episode plotline and then be sequestered to a locked prison cell where they will make the storyboards for the episodes without any communication with the rest of the team. Then they look at what they have and make some Frankenstein's Monster of an episode out of it.

uTFho91.jpg
Leqew4Y.png
4xel7jq.jpg
CAJUrkF.jpg

This was my favorite gag in the episode and it comes from absolutely nowhere without any setup. It rules

HEYBOT! is like the ultimate evolution of anti-humor. Like an anime version of Tim and Eric. Jokes don't follow any real format. There can be a Die Hard quote in the pre-OP intro and then five minutes later they will finish the joke with Bruce Willis. HEYBOT! is a show for the Twitter memespamming age. Its a show made so that people can watch it on Twitter through me posting images of it on Twitter. Think about stuff like @dril and brain expanding memes - I used to find actual jokes with a setup and punchline funny or movies like Airplane, but now this is what I think is hilarious.

Third - and I think this is most important to its identity - HEYBOT! is a show made for no one but the people making it. HEYBOT! is a kids show, or at least its supposed to be. But look at that above reference from Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo. And its not just a simple reference to Street Fighter, its a direct reference to when Akuma comes in on the final stage and kills M. Bison to become the secret final boss. And its like a direct copy of the scene. And he does a Shun Goku Satsu. And the scene after has the not-Akuma doing his exact fighting stance. When HEYBOT! wants to make a reference, HEYBOT! doesn't half-ass it. Also SUPER STREET FIGHTER 2 TURBO CAME OUT IN 1994.

I can't really stress how completely out there the references this show throws out can be. Kids wouldn't know what the hell this is referencing. Hell, sometimes I'm surprised a Japanese person even knows what the fuck something is. Key example - Zardoz.

And now, some more of my favorite gags.

xB3sixH.jpg
V39158F.jpg
kDLbr4n.jpg
7B2OW4U.jpg

Vocammy slaps this dudes mouth off his face and it has to realign the next scene

jB4kt1w.jpg
bxCRiu9.jpg
iv3zqQk.jpg
IfkMOJ0.jpg

Nejiru falls on Heybot and he gets slammed into his shirt for no reason then the epiode ends

C2QH_kBWgAADPKc.jpg
syGw3an.jpg
nJIML2M.jpg
1zyXmzo.jpg

This CLAMP joke girl who's legs get longer every time she shows up. Also in that second image the character on the far left isn't an actual character until like four episodes later where she shows up in an episode about discarded side characters who get no screentime

Basically -

[Kado: The Right Answer] - 4

Let me say this up front - I'm all in favor of serious sci-fi stories. As such, I'm already biased towards a concept like Kado, even if the scenario presented isn't exactly original. For the most part, I am enjoying this series and it's ideas. However, I have some reservations.

I'm still not sold on Shindo as this 'ubermensch'. Everyone in the series worships the ground he walks on but I don't feel like he's demonstrated any particular talents beyond being level-headed. Shindo is always supposed to be the smartest guy in the room, but the writing never actually shows how he's smarter than anyone else. Instead, almost as a substitute for actually having to prove his intelligence, everyone else just fawns over him constantly.

I'm not thrilled about some of the other characters, either. Tsukai was initially established as a counter to Shindo, literally in the sense that they were representing the two different sides in this meeting. However, even though she's supposedly an extremely skilled and successful bureaucrat and negotiator at the highest level of government, the series has to make her 'cute' and in doing so weaken her characters. It's unlikely that someone in her position would be so emotionally transparent and easily flustered - it just doesn't fit with the job that she occupies. Lets not even talk about the scientist lady. It just feels so tonally out of place - as if I was watching Legend of the Galactic Heroes except that there's randomly a moe character inserted into the cast.

Didn't see this earlier. Agreed on Shindo. I have yet to see anything that makes him seem like the god of all negotiators. Episode 0 might have been attempting this but I didn't see anything of his skill set there outside of being able to bring people together that know what they have to do and can have realistic expectations. Seems like a good government worker, not necessarily the god of talking.

I am hoping the show is simply not showing me quite yet his superior skill set. That his accomplishments in the past, prior to episode 1 are what he is known and famous for among these government employees.

As to the female lead having a cute moment it doesn't bother me too much. I think her being a professional for the most part but still having moments of weakness is more to display her humanity. But I hope it isn't prevalent, they seem to be shipping her with Shindo as of right now.

If the show exclusively kept Shindo's sidekick and this unprofessional side of her as the comedic relief of the show it'd be fine, but hurricane kawaii scientist is slowly approaching and I really hope the author uses her very very sparingly.

Thud

Tower Defense Titan 30 (S2E5)

First episode that actually looks pretty darn good imo.
Direction is a lot better than previous season.
It moves along on a good pace.

KraytarJ

I would watch it. I watched episode one as soon an amazon Canada put it on prime video. But sadly they decided we did not deserve more then episode 1 :(

They told me it should be fixed too. Amazon is the worst.
If it's not Re: Creators, Virgin Soul, or Saekano then Amazon dgaf (though really Saekano is the only one to actually be consistently on time). Grimoire and Sword Oratoria still haven't showed up yet. All in all Amazon getting more into anime has been really rough for Canada so far.

It looks really great when applied well, but it's also the sort of time consuming and technically demanding approach that can kill a production if not well scheduled.

If it's not Re: Creators, Virgin Soul, or Saekano then Amazon dgaf (though really Saekano is the only one to actually be consistently on time). Grimoire and Sword Oratoria still haven't showed up yet. All in all Amazon getting more into anime has been really rough for Canada so far.
Noitamina shows get there evenually. Sentai shows are the problem. The rep from CS told me it was SENTAI's fault. For whatever that's worth. Still it's ass. I want my cute boys anime with CLAMP designs!

Funny they also told me they would fix Kabukibu's subs and then contact me. It's been 2 weeks. I was on high priority too lol.

Re:Creators Episode 2

Definitely up there for my favorite show of the season, I love how all these stories have characters coming to life, and even more how one of the creators was just in shock that the character his company associated with was real and had the powers in the real, how cool is that.

New final boss is good.

Music (vocal song) when Magical Girl was fighting was pretty awesome.

I need the vogelchevalier to appear.

Thud

Tiger Mask W 29

This anime has been great for so many episodes, it's crazy.

Kevin still holds a grudge, what a dick.
Anyway the 3rd antics are the best. Sends people flying.

Dragon Ball Super 88
download_1.png

Everyone please pray for Yamcha's feelings. They're about to be killed.

Pretty fun episode. Setup, but good setup. Any episode where Piccolo uses his stretchy arms is dope in my book.

Also the next episode is gonna focus on Tien.

download.png

Tien is great.

ATOM The Beginning Episode 1

Silly geniuses but I really liked their excitement around their creation, A106, saving the the day using intuition.

After the rain sounds familiar, but Ive not listened to any of their music before this, weird.

Monster Strike 2nd Season Episode 3
C-oGoQJXUAARNXJ.jpg:small
C-oHJPOXYAALUs3.jpg:small

Walpurgis went for a wild ride, but once Ren taught Mana how its done, we were able to see one of the most exciting fights in this season. Really good and hope it continues.

Also will have to have Monster Strike as my favorite ED song of the season.

Sterok

Aikatsu Stars 54

Kirara is a lot sharper than she acts. Probably. She played Ako like a fiddle, and actually knew that dresses need to be special to a brand, but the idol type. Ako is kind of a dick honestly, dedicating her efforts to crushing Kirara. And failing, because she's still the joke character. So Ako (and Yume) can just barge into an important meeting unannounced? Well they are important, and maybe Ako got special treatment since she was going to be muse. Elza showed up just to shit on Ako. She seems to love that. 4 episodes into the new season, and we have 4 new songs. I like it, but slow down a little, otherwise we're going to go a dozen episodes without anything new. Kirara'a song is pretty quiet for a pop idol. Good contrast with Ako and Yuzu. Those wings are being handed out fast. 3 in four episodes. Yume, Laura, and Mahiro to transfer to Venus Ark. I don't know if Yuzu is a secret genius or just plain crazy, because this plan is super risky. Elza is going to have all the time in the world to seduce those three now, and she has a trump card. I can't imagine moral at Four Stars will be high either.

One Piece 786:

Not many shows can manage to introduce best girl 786 episodes into the show. And casting Miyuki Sawashiro as Pudding was some damn perfect casting from Toei's part (and I can't wait for them to get to some certain moments later on).

Big Mom's song at the end was great, too. Can't wait to see the best One Piece arc in the past 9 years getting animated.

One Piece 786:

Not many shows can manage to introduce best girl 786 episodes into the show. And casting Miyuki Sawashiro as Pudding was some damn perfect casting from Toei's part (and I can't wait for them to get to some certain moments later on).

Big Mom's song at the end was great, too. Can't wait to see the best One Piece arc in the past 9 years getting animated.

Oh man. It's happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom