• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2017 |OT| Don't be a SukaSuka for Gacha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The sword and Jack conquering his inner demons being a single episode is fine, but that thing
with Ashi's mom
felt like it should have been the focus of an entire episode on its own.

I would have gotten rid of the silly army fight and done five more minutes with her and her mom.

Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's Season 2 (Subtitled) Episode 130 – Bond Between Friends Leads to the Future
C-rfuLdWAAAtviK.jpg:small
C-rkeaEXkAARo6A.jpg:small

Glorified recap...but gave us new OP and ED, good Crow scenes. Izayaoi could have had something other than benchwarmer, like Lua and Luca were pitcrew.

It's always funny when people say that about HxH, its the only Jump manga I can recall that had to put censorship bars in the magazine/takubon versions of certain chapters due to how graphic certain scenes were (though the choices of censorship are damn odd. spike through the skull censorship, head being smashed into a pulp perfectly fine!).

Thud

can anyone recommend a decent, perhaps dark/brutal anime to watch? Not interested in stuff like looks cartoony such as hunter x hunter.

Loved attack on titan season 1. waiting for season 2 to come on netflix.

Have seen dragonball z etc.
Chimera Ant arc in Hunter x Hunter :p

Anyway watch Monster.

pbayne

can anyone recommend a decent, perhaps dark/brutal anime to watch? Not interested in stuff like looks cartoony such as hunter x hunter.

Loved attack on titan season 1. waiting for season 2 to come on netflix.

Have seen dragonball z etc.

X (tv series)

Monster Hunter 30

This series went from 0 to stupid so quickly.

phaze

It's always funny when people say that about HxH, its the only Jump manga I can recall that had to put censorship bars in the magazine/takubon versions of certain chapters due to how graphic certain scenes were (though the choices of censorship are damn odd. spike through the skull censorship, head being smashed into a pulp perfectly fine!).

The colour palette and chara designs in the last adaptation are pretty damn cartoony, more so than other shounens I'd say. Bits of violence here and there don't change that.

Attack on Titan 29-30

Oh man. This is just brutal.

Just...shiiit...

Edit: The beginning of the season was a bit weird how it started. I wasn't sure how all the secondary characters got to where they were. Maybe that's just on me for not exactly remembering what happened at the end of last season. But the second season has really turned around and has gotten much better. Just as brutal and traumatizing as ever.

Taruranto

Rage of Azazel #4

So Michel Micheal died, his spirit went in Jeanne, and he was reborn as Mugario, who got taken by the demons.

I dunno about this whole "IF I GET HORNY I TURN INTO A DRAGON" thing. It was cute at first, but she can barely talk to people.

Squishy3

CART DRIVER
A
R
T
D
R
I
V
E
R
my favorite one was the edit where you hear C.C say "Right, Lelouch?" and his head pops out of the haystack she's sitting on

i hope lelouch just shows up and they don't do the flashback showing how he survived until halfway through the season or something

The colour palette and chara designs in the last adaptation are pretty damn cartoony, more so than other shounens I'd say. Bits of violence here and there don't change that.
it would probably be pretty cartoony in the manga if the art ever got past a rough draft state when it was in the chimera ant arc. it does a pretty good job of setting a nice contrast when you see these slightly cartoony characters have horrible things perpetrated/done to them

i like togashi's stuff but his art isn't exactly great

Tales of Zestiria the X Episode 25 The Legend END

THEY PLAYED JOURNEY'S END, SAVED. I was so glad the anime kept Rising Up in but now this, my 2nd wish delivered.

Alright adaptation but I wish it had stayed faithful to game a bit, some of my favorite locations and parts werent put into this, which I guess had to be sacrificed for the sake of time, but I think it would have added much more interesting action instead of wasting it on Tales of Alisha and Tales of Rose. Alisha story was interesting in the anime for her key scene with her father/king, while Rose just felt like such an ova type of thing, what did it matter in the end, nothing. Not a fan of the whole final arc in this either. There was no drama or anything, all flash no substance.

They did better with God Eater, IMO.

Oh well still so happy about Journey's End and the post fight stuff.
tumblr_op6gxqhyvF1s8nccpo2_500.gif

Persona 5 END

That whiplash when Atlus decides to go "HEY, remember when we use to give this the Shin Megami Tensei label on here? Lets relive some memories

Haru needed more time though.

Makoto was bae, but Takemi is no slouch. Final boss theme is underwhelming, but the credits were nice.

And hey look, Square, a road trip! With girls!

If Lelouch R3 is good it will be a miracle. Why?

1. Mecha power creep. Lelouch S1 started with melee/short ranged gun battles and ended with limited flight and beam usage. S2 moved to full arial combat, beam spam, and portable nuclear weapon launchers. It will be extremely difficult to go back in scope and they hit a wall that will be very hard to show advancement from without getting even more ridiculous.

2. Fan favourite characters. As shows go on the cast continues to balloon and as the time has gone on, it has clearly become much more difficult for the writers/staff to definitively kill off characters and this is doubly so for characters which are popular. It will be extremely difficult to manage all the various different characters properly whilst introducing whatever new ones are needed.

3. Retconning/Retreading. Since Lelouch S2 was clearly designed to be the end of the series, they quite quickly tied off most of the loose ends. In order to start this new season they will have to untie those ends or retcon certain things to make t fit. More importantly though, the show completed it's themes, told it's message and ended it's story. To reopen it and keep it as a Code Geass show without retreading on the themes/story beats which have already been completed will be extremely hard since they are still using the same cast with the same character dynamics.

Squishy3

It wouldn't be as bad if you had more time.

But re-working her would pretty much require rewriting everything after she joins really.

Its tradition for great RPGs to have a party member come in at the end

magus.gif
Magus existed as more than just a background character though prior to him joining the party. You see Haru getting in a car and then at the school trip and that's it prior to the circumstances of her joining the party. She doesn't get a chance to breathe at all during the story, and while I didn't do her social link I highly doubt there's immense character development in there.

Haru related stuff
And for some reason she's still hanging with her dirtbag fiance that wants to rape her after they're married?

Magus existed as more than just a background character though prior to him joining the party. You see Haru getting in a car and then at the school trip and that's it prior to the circumstances of her joining the party. She doesn't get a chance to breathe at all during the story, and while I didn't do her social link I highly doubt there's immense character development in there.

Haru related stuff
And for some reason she's still hanging with her dirtbag fiance that wants to rape her after they're married?

Delves into the backstory of her company,
her love of coffee to the point of making you drink coffee made from Elephant shit, and wants you to give Mona an enema to make coffee
and in regards to her boyfriend, it turns out there's no real contract so he can fuck off
. It's not like Makoto's where you get excited because she blatantly asks to go to the Red Light District, and then next thing you know, some generic who gets bitch slapped by Makoto because she called her a bitch hijacks the story.

Sterok

KiraKira Precure À La Mode 13

Stop bullying Himari. She's clearly really uncomfortable with being in the spotlight. Though Aoi also avoiding it is odd. Once again they're helping their enemies. Maybe one day they'll stop doing that. Oh, so Aoi is an ojou after all. That's one blue tradition she isn't missing. And explains why she doesn't want to be filmed.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Magus sucks in combat tho.

...no he doesn't. Not at all in fact. Hell the current speed run strat for some categories has him doing most of the heavy lifting later on.

Most people mistake his lack of double techs for a lack of power. He does around the same damage as frog with his regular attacks and by far the most damage in the game with his magic, and he has access to every element.

JCG

If Lelouch R3 is good it will be a miracle. Why?

1. Mecha power creep. Lelouch S1 started with melee/short ranged gun battles and ended with limited flight and beam usage. S2 moved to full arial combat, beam spam, and portable nuclear weapon launchers. It will be extremely difficult to go back in scope and they hit a wall that will be very hard to show advancement from without getting even more ridiculous.

The Guren SEITEN is rolling on the ground in that video, so it seems they're not completely ignoring that technological angle. More broadly speaking, I think it's a matter of coming up with interesting battle scenarios and related choreography sequences (including the animation resources to handle them), which were lacking in most (but not all) of R2's aerial fights. If they can figure out a better approach for this in a sequel, especially if it turns out to be a movie (or a bunch of those), then the structural problem would ultimately be avoided even if we somehow ended up fighting in space, Gundam-style.

2. Fan favourite characters. As shows go on the cast continues to balloon and as the time has gone on, it has clearly become much more difficult for the writers/staff to definitively kill off characters and this is doubly so for characters which are popular. It will be extremely difficult to manage all the various different characters properly whilst introducing whatever new ones are needed.

I think it is a valid point, but a large part of it will depend on what is the true format of this sequel. That will determine what kind of story they want to tell and how much time they have for handling the necessary cast. It's also possible they might go ahead and either disable or isolate some old secondary and tertiary characters early on in order to make space for anyone new. Killing is not necessarily the only possible solution and, at the end of the day, there's arguably less than five or six Code Geass characters whose popularity would be big enough of a factor to prevent them from being removed from the picture in the first place.

3. Retconning/Retreading. Since Lelouch S2 was clearly designed to be the end of the series, they quite quickly tied off most of the loose ends. In order to start this new season they will have to untie those ends or retcon certain things to make t fit. More importantly though, the show completed it's themes, told it's message and ended it's story. To reopen it and keep it as a Code Geass show without retreading on the themes/story beats which have already been completed will be extremely hard since they are still using the same cast with the same character dynamics.

There were still some unresolved mysteries at the end of the story, though I'll admit I was never one of those folks who considered that to be a particularly strong complaint (I didn't need or want to know the origins of Geass, but other people will tell you that not spelling it out was a bad thing). Beyond that, I think some of the character dynamics will have to change as a matter of basic necessity, since there will have to be a new conflict under different circumstances. Besides, Gundam is living proof that it's not impossible to keep coming up with variations and alterations, some more creative than others, of existing themes in order to tell new stories of varying quality.

John Blade

Didn't expect to watch this movie in the plane but manage to watch the movie. Did watch the creator other movie in the past and will have to say, it does have quite a few similaities​ from the style of animation, to plot development, to emotional side of the stories, and some more. Either way, love the movie from beginning to end and might be one of his best work so far. The idea is interesting as you follow the two MC who change body when they go to sleep. It's an interesting to see what happens when it happens but the tone of the stories change rapidly when You found out the full situation and realized they is a big difference between them not only in distance but also time.

I don't have much to say really as it's something I will say the same from the creator other work. I guess the ending might be a slight change of his work as it actually don't end the way you expect from his work. Worth the watch and now it's out in oversea, worth the watch.

Normally I'd agree that things that ended should have stayed ended but Geass is one of those unique series that are extremely few in number for me where even though the ending had closure I think they should keep going because I want to see more stupid shit.

I'm coming at this from the angle of "no wait how can you POSSIBLY follow up the ending of R2? I want to see this. I need to see this"

Narag

Persona 5 END

A very good game that decided it wanted to be a really bad game before settling on something average at the end.

Cornbread78

Sword of Oratoria ep.3
This parallel version of Bell's story is actually pretty good! Enjoying the cast and the battles they are engaging in.

Yu-Gi-Oh! ZEXAL Season 1 Episode 24 – Hunting Down the Hunter, Part 2
C-scsHeXgAM7fn0.jpg:small

ZEXAL finally happened even if it seemed like cheating since he made the overlay network out of litrally nothing on the field, but the polymerized Yuuma Astral is good.

I cant wait for the actually serious Kaito Yuuma fight, or maybe tag duel with Yuuma Shark v Kaito. I also have to imagine that there has to be some negative or bad part of the power of ZEXAL.

Can't believe how long that palace dragged on. Still better than randomly generated dungeons though.

I don't even think that dungeon was bad, it's just that the whole game just drags on with so much pointless repetitive chatter and padding that the player's tolerance for it is at a low by that point. Persona 3 and 4 had pacing problems, but somehow they decided to make a game 30+ hours longer than P4G and address none of it.

Spice and Wolf 2 [Rewatch]

"Being comforted is pretty disgraceful for this wise wolf."

"You are just a fledgling. You are no match for me."

"We live in two different worlds. And they are very different."

Sterok

Twin Angel Break 4

No 90's Magical Girl anime is complete without an older guy creeping on middle school girls. Interesting way for his arc to end though. How did that guy in prison get a pigeon?

BEYBLADE VForce #31 Attack of the Rock Bit Beast

I thought they would go with the underdog song instead of switchblade considering what was happening, but I guess switchblade works, especially how they mixed some of the lines, cool song for one probably third best Bladebreaker.

Foxy seemed like he'd be a challenge especially with his cheat, but wind appeared to be Drigers strength, Great solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom