• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2017 |OT| Don't be a SukaSuka for Gacha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sterok

Little Witch Academia 17

The Holy Grail? Better watch out for Lady Arthur. Amanda likes being a troublemaker. Wacky adventures is less irritating here actually. Maybe because those two wastes of space aren't here. Uh, kind of an extreme reaction University guys? Just kick them out or call the police. I don't think a sword duel on a narrow balcony is suitable for the modern age. Why are they practicing archaic traditions when they make fun of witches being old news? Well at least Amanda got to be cool. And why is he breaking the Grail? That's University property the witches were stealing.

Re:CREATORS 4
Rei Hiroe's Twitter:
mNl8v06.png

TL: Episode 4 done. It's my fault that there's so much talking. All the food and yuri scenes [Ei] Aoki-san did so well came from needing to fill that space.

Well at least he recognizes it I guess. Decent episode, but like the last one, it felt like they stretched out something that could've been conveyed in a shorter and more viewer friendly manner into a much longer segment than necessary.

GranBlue Fantasy 1-5

This looks gorgeous and is well animated. It feels a bit like a standard JRPG story, but it's not bad.

Grimoire of Zero 1-3

I like this so far. The cold opens with all the lore are pretty cool, and have been an interesting way to introduce the themes for the episodes starting out. The trio of main characters are all fairly endearing, and I enjoy their interactions with each other.

Line_HTX

I'm caught in the stupid vortex that is The King's Avatar. This show is fucking dumb but I have caught up to episode 5. Help.

K.Sabot

re:creators 1

watched on recommendation from a friend. that was a chore, usually I give animes at least 3 episodes before I drop them but I don't think I can trudge through another episode of this.

Yakuza 0

I'm not terribly familiar with the Yakuza series, and this is the first one I've played to completion, but it was a pretty fun ride. Not a ride without some odd bumps, but I still enjoyed it. Perhaps the thing that surprised me the most is how simply relatable Majima and Kiryu were. (As hard as it is to believe, plot wise they're kind of the straight men in this game.) While the main story is this raw crime drama, but it feels positively quiet compared to the bizarre people that inhabit the world of Yakuza 0. If you pick up Yakuza 0, don't do yourself a disservice, do the side quests. Perhaps the highest praise I can give Yakuza 0 is it's one of those rare games that actually makes me laugh.

Somethings did really irk me tho. While I enjoyed Majima's Cabaret Club side quest, you'd probably have to pay me to do Kiryu's real estate side quest. It's just this odd slog that doesn't really feel like a fleshed out side quest, where you're stuck waiting to get paid so you can buy more properties, so you can finally really start earning some money. I ran out of patience for it when it started to remind me of the worst parts of certain GTA games. Storywise, I know it really irked some people, but I wasn't too bothered by
Shimano's plan. It sticks out in contrast to the rest of the story, but Shimano is a fucking psychopath, and it wasn't a great focus of the game. Also, thank fuck Makoto got a happy ending, because sweet jebus this story if she didn't...

Random thoughts...
-Dat Kuze OST
-Yakuza 0 has the best karaoke minigame I've ever played.
-Some chapters dragged a bit, but the game ends strong.
-KIRYU-CHAN

duckroll

Granblue Fantasy The Animation

Cygames is fucking serious about their anime adaptations. For the most part, Granblue has really nice art and music, while the story seems fairly traditional fantasy but still lots of fun. But after episode 5, this is totally a keeper. Not only are the production values great, but they really nail the feeling of Grandia and Skies of Arcadia in a way no other fantasy anime has done before. It doesn't hurt that the art direction and world setting feels like a great Final Fantasy game too. The animation sequence when Gran charged Tiamat though... wow... holy fucking shit. :)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Granblue Fantasy The Animation

Cygames is fucking serious about their anime adaptations. For the most part, Granblue has really nice art and music, while the story seems fairly traditional fantasy but still lots of fun. But after episode 5, this is totally a keeper. Not only are the production values great, but they really nail the feeling of Grandia and Skies of Arcadia in a way no other fantasy anime has done before. It doesn't hurt that the art direction and world setting feels like a great Final Fantasy game too. The animation sequence when Gran charged Tiamat though... wow... holy fucking shit. :)

Except for the whole part where it's generic Japanese phantasy. :(

duckroll

Except for the whole part where it's generic Japanese phantasy. :(

How many good generic Japanese phantasy anime are there which play it straight though? I feel I brought this up before multiple times in recent years, and it's actually not very common, which is why stuff like Berserk, Rage of Bahamut, and Tales of Zesteria feel so refreshing even though they are really... genre staples. It feels like after Record of Lodoss War, there isn't much that really captures that feel.

zulux21

Persona 5

this 85:37 long series was a fun ride, with at least less filler than naruto. Still had more filler than I would have liked but fun overall.

way more fighting than in DBZ, darker themes than hunter x hunter, more treasure than one piece, higher quality heroes than in my hero academia, and much like one punch man the main character can take down a god level threat in one hit (assuming they are much lower level gods but still lol). Thus I think I have to rule persona 5 as the ultimate shounen anime experience.

that being said still not the best thing ever 9/10 Would watch again... and likely will with unlocked new items :p

note: as it stands I think persona 5 might be my anime of the year though... I mean if puppets are anime why can't anime be anime :p

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The Depravity of Narag
Kilrathi???

How many good generic Japanese phantasy anime are there which play it straight though? I feel I brought this up before multiple times in recent years, and it's actually not very common, which is why stuff like Berserk, Rage of Bahamut, and Tales of Zesteria feel so refreshing even though they are really... genre staples. It feels like after Record of Lodoss War, there isn't much that really captures that feel.
I suppose it's beggars can't be choosers, but the game is so anime that I think they must know exactly what knobs they're tweaking. Today I just got a character who is apparently a man trapped in a little girl's body, because why not.

The fact that NMB is apparently the least popular group helps as well, because even the most successful member of the group is basically dirt compared to the main AKB members, so it just shows how success is completely relative in such an industry.

Huh, guesa that's why their goods shop is in an alley instead of where there's lots of people in Namba then.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Huh, guesa that's why their goods shop is in an alley instead of where there's lots of people in Namba then.
Their concert venue is in a basement as well, which perhaps is normal when space is at a premium, but yeah...

Apparently there are AKB and HKT documentaries (at least based on finding some fansubs of those ones anyway), and they seem to be much more upbeat and positive. The NMB one is still fairly positive, for the most part, but it just has these tinges of the darker side of the industry that you wouldn't normally see in what amounts to a promotional film.

Like there's a segment where the documentary literally compares the line sizes of the idols at a handshake event, showing that there are girls that basically no one ever wants to meet. Then the girl says she does her university homework because distracting herself is the only way to keep from crying at being rejected.

It also has a self-aware moment, showing fans of this particular girl unpacking stacks of CDs so they can vote for her. And while no one says anything, it's pretty much implied that these types of fans are the only reason why the AKB branded disc sales chart at all. That and the handshake tickets/concert lotteries, I suppose. lol

All the girls in the film basically know that they'll always be inferior to the other groups, based on how they are fairly low ranked. It makes me wonder how these girls get paid, since I get the impression that they must get next to nothing in terms of royalties or from their daily performances. The fact that these girls are in the least popular group must mean they get pennies and perform only because they might have a chance to move up to AKB.

(I also had no idea that every song was written by Yasushi Akimoto. Like, holy crap. He's the Shinbo of generic Jpop love songs. lol)

I suppose it's beggars can't be choosers, but the game is so anime that I think they must know exactly what knobs they're tweaking. Today I just got a character who is apparently a man trapped in a little girl's body, because why not.

You mean a gacha game considers trying to get people to spend money on it more important than creating a rich, unique story? I never would have guessed!

Qurupeke

LWA 17

It's almost like the adventures have gotten more brutal since Croix's appearance. Anyway, cool episode but I can't believe how dense Akko is.

Little Witch Academia 17

I cannot get over the fact Akko at least has seen those very technomagic blocks in Croix's office and still has not made the connection back to her. God she's an idiot. Curious how these last few episodes have actually put people's lives at risk rather than just being a silly adventure.

3Kaze

It can be pandering and interesting at the same time. Cagliostro has quite an intriguing backstory and is not "a man trapped in a little girl's body". But how would you know anything when you admitted skipping all the story parts?

You mean a gacha game considers trying to get people to spend money on it more important than creating a rich, unique story? I never would have guessed!

The main story is nothing to write home about, but the world building is extremely good. It's a game with over 100 characters and a lot of them are getting development through unique story events which are like 1-2 hours visual novels. Cygames is certainly putting a lot of efforts into the writing, whether it is good or not is another matter.

NeonZ

He's not exactly "trapped" though.
Unlike most cases of anime genderswapping, it wasn't an accident. Unless I'm forgetting something, according to the final fate event of the old SSR Cagliostro, he just willingly created a female body when he needed to leave his original ailing body in order to survive. Cagliostro also has had to recreate her body many times since then and just stuck with the little girl form every time.

convo

Cornbread78

Nana ep. 39-41
Nana is handling this shit like a pro. But s storms brewing with all the different ships going on. I mean, we all knew about Yasu before, but damn.. It's just going to keep geting worse!

Sachiko? LOLOLOLOL poor Hachi.

Line_HTX

Kado, The Right Answer 04

Maneuvering official titles to have more freedom and leeway, huh.

Tsukai is so tsundere in these negotiations, LMAO

Ooh, I hope there's more of that kawaii scientist next week.

John Blade

super-atragon-movie-poster-1995-1020528465.jpg

Watch this during the flight and I have to say, it's okay or average. An interesting story which might get interesting but as a two episodes, it can't develop much from the interesting idea.

The story come down to this, you follow a special submarine which which is way advance from what it can be build at that time. Unfortunately, the ship was attack by a similar ship and both got destory in battle and this happen durin WWII. Flash back to present time, something happen during the south pole and you follow the MC to investigate this mysterious phenomena at Antarctica. What you found is this mysterious cylinder and this object will become the main plot of the OVA. The idea is decent to start but like I say, as a two OVA episodes, not much can be done to develop the story. the 1st episode do try to set up the scene of the plot and do well to introduce the MC and people from the show. Unfortunately, the 2nd episodes kinda feel rush a bit as you're moving at a quick pace without knowing the whole sistuation of the plot and the character development. It's disapointment for me as I kinda wish it can develop a bit more than 2 episodes it have and you might have a decent OVA.

For character development, kinda the same thing. You got introduce to the MC and a side character who she is introduce at the beginning. You found out a bit more about them together and how they're connect. Unfortunately, the romance between them feel cheap as like I say, you don't get the feeling between them at all and the only character development between them are two dimensional or cheap to the point where you don't really care what happen to them. Also, the MC and his long lost father feel tack in a bit. It try to do the develoment between them but at the later half of the 2nd episode, it was put aside for the plot development. It did discuss a bit of the MC father and how much he is commmit to the job that he also feel pain not to see his wife one last time. Unfortunately, this all put aside.

Lastly, the two girl, Avatar & Annette, and they difference between what they think about the human was interesting to see but this was kill off too quickly to develop much (even though they do put a flash back at the end to see how much they're interconnect).

If I can put a positive side of this OVA, I guess it will come down to the soundtrack and the action scene. The soundtrack is actually decent to great to listen to. The epic theme song is very cathy and make you pump up a bit when it was use in some scene. For the action scene, it's actually good to watch. To see the big battle between American warship get destroy easily by this alien machine but seeing Atragon atacking the alien warship is great. So, much fun to watch even if they do use some scene quite a few time.

Overall, Super Atragon is really an average OVA. You can see some potential it could have if the story and character development was able to mature a bit more from additional episode, it might be an interesting OVA to watch. Unfortunately, I won't recomend this movie to everyone and might recomend to go watch Blue Submarine NO.6 or Nadia The secret blue water.

It can be pandering and interesting at the same time. Cagliostro has quite an intriguing backstory and is not "a man trapped in a little girl's body". But how would you know anything when you admitted skipping all the story parts?

The main story is nothing to write home about, but the world building is extremely good. It's a game with over 100 characters and a lot of them are getting development through unique story events which are like 1-2 hours visual novels. Cygames is certainly putting a lot of efforts into the writing, whether it is good or not is another matter.

I wish some of the events in this could be animated since the anime wont be having many of my favorite characters or actually even some of the popular ones (Jin and co, the Knights, Bea and co)

I want it to get far enough for my Loki, I need him.

Line_HTX

The King's Avatar 01-04

So this is that notorious actual Chinese anime, huh.

This show is really dumb, but I'm somehow sticking with it because the music in certain scenes had good guitars, and it's kind of amusing looking at MC's smurf account fucking with everyone and gaining notoriety in the new server. Also I haven't watched anything in Chinese audio intently in many years, so it's kind of interesting how people interact in a game over there.

Why's the MC's girlfriend look like a complete ripoff of Asuna except as a super fast gunner class, and what is up with the glorification of lances, spears, etc and those types of classes... And not only that,
he could customize his weapon all he likes by adding an umbrella shield and a minigun attachment, like wtf that's some serious broken shit there even for a lance weapon.
Damn, it's like this guy is all the hax Kirito could ever dream of.

"Time to raise mah APM."

Tales of Zestiria The X - The End

Great show. I never played the game but youtubed lots of the scenes and I can tell that lots of things were changed from the game but it seems like for the better. It makes me think that if they had a second chance to make the game they would use this storyline instead. It also had me wondering if there will be another game after Zestiria and also what eventually happens to Velvet.

I hope not, playing RPGs set in exactly the same world can feel a bit dull since similar enemies, similar maps, similar looks :( Every tales sequel has just been a bit duller compared to the first (symphonia 2, xillia 2)

Ascheroth

Tales of Zestiria The X - The End

Great show. I never played the game but youtubed lots of the scenes and I can tell that lots of things were changed from the game but it seems like for the better. It makes me think that if they had a second chance to make the game they would use this storyline instead. It also had me wondering if there will be another game after Zestiria and also what eventually happens to Velvet.

If you want to know what happens to Velvet you'll have to play Berseria I suppose.

It really is true what they say. One man's treasure sure can be another man's trash. That another man being myself lol.

Take your opinion elsewhere of that shitty character :mad:.

Leave my kado alone. God damn kawaii scientist couldn't just be in any other show.

Cornbread78

I want to play it but I don't know wheeeeeen.

Trails the 3rd is in 2 days, I just realized Cold Steel PC is this summer, and fall has Tokyo Xanadu and Ys VIII. Ahhhhhhhhh.

I still haven't been able to touch Horizon, Nier, or Persona 5 yet. I also have FF XIV to start, FF XII in July, Then Destiny 2, Then Ni No Kuni II. That's not to mention all of the PS+ stuff, Witcher Complete Collection, DA;I, Skyrim, Fallout 4, Doom and a pile of other stuff I still need to play that are sitting on my shelf..

I'm getting Tokyo Xanadu and Ys VIII for Vita..

I still haven't been able to touch Horizon, Nier, or Persona 5 yet. I also have FF XIV to start, FF XII in July, Then Destiny 2, Then Ni No Kuni II. That's not to mention all of the PS+ stuff, Witcher Complete Collection, DA;I, Skyrim, Fallout 4, Doom and a pile of other stuff I still need to play that are sitting on my shelf..

NO Akiba Beat?

Thud

Stop watching anime and get playing some anime :p.

phaze

Theme or OP as a whole ?

You're still supremely wrong either way.

---

How is Sakurada Reset anyway ? Have seen but a glimpse of impressions on it round here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom