• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2017 |OT| Don't be a SukaSuka for Gacha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narag

are we talking about Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere then?
as I didn't even know that show had fans :p

InR7o5j.png

JCgZl4y.png

zulux21

Horizon zero dawn won't ever get a season 2 where she falls in love with a robot dinosaur

most likely not, but season 2 has already been confirmed so we know that will have a season 2.

though it might just be a short ova series instead of a full season, but no doubt a full season will come in 3 years or so.

I am assuming those are home video sales, so I guess it at least has some fans in japan, outside of japan though log horizon is way more popular.

has over 4 times the number of people with it on their list on MAL (433k vs 97k) :p

either way doesn't change my statement. Didn't even know that show had any fans... see way more people talk about log horizon instead of middle of nowhere.

Jarmel

Banned
Honestly it feels like for a show to get a sequel, it's less about sales and more about the show having some industry champion that is willing to seriously fight for it to get further productions.

Thoraxes

Yakuza 0

I'm not terribly familiar with the Yakuza series, and this is the first one I've played to completion, but it was a pretty fun ride. Not a ride without some odd bumps, but I still enjoyed it. Perhaps the thing that surprised me the most is how simply relatable Majima and Kiryu were. (As hard as it is to believe, plot wise they're kind of the straight men in this game.) While the main story is this raw crime drama, but it feels positively quiet compared to the bizarre people that inhabit the world of Yakuza 0. If you pick up Yakuza 0, don't do yourself a disservice, do the side quests. Perhaps the highest praise I can give Yakuza 0 is it's one of those rare games that actually makes me laugh.

Somethings did really irk me tho. While I enjoyed Majima's Cabaret Club side quest, you'd probably have to pay me to do Kiryu's real estate side quest. It's just this odd slog that doesn't really feel like a fleshed out side quest, where you're stuck waiting to get paid so you can buy more properties, so you can finally really start earning some money. I ran out of patience for it when it started to remind me of the worst parts of certain GTA games. Storywise, I know it really irked some people, but I wasn't too bothered by
Shimano's plan. It sticks out in contrast to the rest of the story, but Shimano is a fucking psychopath, and it wasn't a great focus of the game. Also, thank fuck Makoto got a happy ending, because sweet jebus this story if she didn't...

Random thoughts...
-Dat Kuze OST
-Yakuza 0 has the best karaoke minigame I've ever played.
-Some chapters dragged a bit, but the game ends strong.
-KIRYU-CHAN

The ending part when
Majima doesn't tell Makoto who he is (punches his minions out before they say his name), and pumps up the doctor to confess his love
made me pretty emotional. Just the way Majima acts that whole scene, and the choices he makes there just really stood out to me as a really striking scene, and good cap on his development throughout 0. "Then... hurry that shit up." Really made me feel for him in a way few games can get me to do with their characters.

And for me, this was pretty much my first exposure to the series in any way, and I absolutely adored it. You're right about the sidequests too. They're just amazing and really add and breathe a ton of life into Kamuchoro/Sotenbori. Writing in the postcards with stories of your escapades to get them read on the radio really helped give them their little moments of remembrance, too.

duckroll

Honestly it feels like for a show to get a sequel, it's less about sales and more about the show having some industry champion that is willing to seriously fight for it to get further productions.

And most industry champions are motivated by profits so sales do matter. Producers who do it out of pure passion when the finances don't back it up, are usually just people blackmailed by Minami at BONES. :)

zulux21

And most industry champions are motivated by profits so sales do matter. Producers who do it out of pure passion when the finances don't back it up, are usually just people blackmailed by Minami at BONES. :)

yup, very few anime are made just for the sake of existing, most are only going to get sequels if they are profitable.

about the only company I can think of that is involved with anime that that might not be true is Cygames related anime as they are just throwing around money for the heck of it.

on the plus side it has made the best mobile game based anime so there is at least that lol.

Jarmel

Banned

Well if your shit tanks then I mean yea it's done. However we're on what the fourth production of Eureka Seven now? A show that didn't even have a 10k average on initial release and whose sequel sold about half. Not to mention cases like the recent Tenchi Muyo OVAs.

NeonZ

Real talk though, Re:Creators is a show with a very promising concept, pretty nice if generic designs, and has a director who is capable of so much more. Yet it seems to just feel content being the bare minimum of what it needs to be, lacking ambition or creative spark. How can you have a show about a dozen or so fictional characters coming into the real world from different works, and yet spend three whole episodes following just one pair - the most boring of the lot? For an original IP that desperately needs to hook an audience in the face of so much competition in an oversaturated industry, this seems like a bad decision.

It's because they're spending most of the time explaining how the setting's mechanics work, which seems completely counterintuitive for a new IP. It seems like the writer is mostly focused on avoiding message board/twitter posters picking apart the setting, rather than actually making an engrossing experience.

I don't think popular LN Anime necessarily means sequel does it? I'm sure there have been plenty of popular shows based off manga/ln that never got a sequel.

Hataraku Maoh and Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere are two series that come to mind as having good sales but not getting follow ups.

Given that the home video market in Japan is continuing to collapse (e.g., Titans S2 sales look to be a massive decline from S1, only estimated for ~3,500), it's going to be ever less about BD/DVD sales in the future. Of course, there are lots of other areas where profit is to be found; they just don't have easily accessible public numbers like Japanese disc sales do.

NeonZ

Oh, yeah, there was Infinite Stratos too. The second season still did well, right? There's also Haruhi. In Haruhi's case the original work coming to a sudden halt seems to have killed the franchise, while Infinite Stratos had some issue between the original writer and publisher - followed by a change of artist and publisher. So, at least those have known behind the scenes issues to explain the lack of new seasons.

Given that the home video market in Japan is continuing to collapse (e.g., Titans S2 sales look to be a massive decline from S1, only estimated for ~3,500), it's going to be ever less about BD/DVD sales in the future. Of course, there are lots of other areas where profit is to be found; they just don't have easily accessible public numbers like Japanese disc sales do.
Where do you see these sales estimation for AoT s2?

duckroll

Well if your shit tanks then I mean yea it's done. However we're on what the fourth production of Eureka Seven now? A show that didn't even have a 10k average on initial release and whose sequel sold about half. Not to mention cases like the recent Tenchi Muyo OVAs.

What did I just say about Minami blackmail? :p

Apparently some people are estimating the Granblue Fantasy anime might be one of the best selling anime of the year.

Some think it less to do with the actual show and more to do with what they're selling with it.

Apparently some people are estimating the Granblue Fantasy anime might be one of the best selling anime of the year.

Some think it less to do with the actual show and more to do with what they're selling with it.

Yeah, see above. Pack-in bonuses have always been a reliable way to boost disc sales if you can package in something people really want, which usually is tickets for events with voice actors.

duckroll

I think that's a case of Kyoda blackmailing people.

No it's definitely Minami. :p

What about Eccentric Family S2?

Horikawa taking notes from Minami.

"Some people" = "Anyone paying attention to the market"?

jman2050

One Punch Man

Oh hey I finally watched this. Late to the party much I guess.

I liked it a lot. Don't think it's quite AOTY material but I can understand the sentiment nonetheless. I had a weird feeling throughout watching this because honestly I quite liked the whole setting, collection of characters, and story setup not involving Saitama and I think on their own they make for a pretty compelling and enjoyable, if generic, watch. But Saitama's presence and role in the story just turns the entire ordeal into a hilarious farce which is even better. I can't be sure if that was what the author was going for but I enjoyed it nonetheless. Guess catching up on the manga is next.

Also Mumen Rider is a true bro and is way too good and noble for that bureaucratic hero nonsense. He should be a security guard or part of a rescue team or something where he'll be truly appreciated.

This site (a comprehensive English resource for anime disc sales in Japan) has complied the Amazon Stalker estimates for this season's shows. Granblue Fantasy is doing so well because it's including codes for a character for the game with the discs.
That's pretty cool site! Seeing MHA at 2200 does make me sad a little tho. I really want a season 3.

Horikawa taking notes from Minami.

Horikawa must be one of the savviest producers in the industry. Somehow he keeps getting P.A. Works funding for 2-cour original anime year after year, plus a niche project such as Eccentric Family. Although he did end up selling the studio out to CyGames this year.

duckroll

Horikawa must be one of the savviest producers in the industry. Somehow he keeps getting P.A. Works funding for 2-cour original anime year after year, plus a niche project such as Eccentric Family. Although he did end up selling the studio out to CyGames this year.

People laugh now, but if Cygames keeps their record up, that might end up being PA Work's best show since Shirobako. I can't see it happening because it looks so wrong, but... I wouldn't bet against Cygames after Bahamut and Granblue.

zulux21

That's pretty cool site! Seeing MHA at 2200 does make me sad a little tho. I really want a season 3.

I'm not to worried about a season 3 of MHA.
Funimation is clearly pouring a lot of time and money into marketing and merch for the series and its one of shounen jumps strongest properties right now.

I'm not to worried about a season 3 of MHA.
Funimation is clearly pouring a lot of time and money into marketing and merch for the series and its one of shounen jumps strongest properties right now.
Hopefully you are right! I wonder how much it's internatinal popularity matters. Because it is quite popular outside of Japan.

zulux21

Speaking of conrevo I wonder if we will ever see a BD release here. It's a 2015 show...we should have seen a season 1 release already! Did it tank that hard here? Who has the license anyway? It's funimation right?

oh it tanked super hard.
it was funimation who has the license but i know they mentioned it did horrible in streaming and thus ignore its existence anymore.

if it doesn't have a release by now its not going to get one.

I'm still sad funimation never released The Tatami Galaxy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom