• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2017 |OT| Don't be a SukaSuka for Gacha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eccentric Family S2 4

Wonderful integration of flashbacks into this episode. Overlaying the windy night search visuals on top of Gyokuran and Yasaburo's dialogue created the most wonderful atmosphere.

Also shout-outs to the passive-aggressive mothering.

Qurupeke

Kado 5

lol

I don't know, the wam reveal at the end was kind of hilarious. I thought the show is taking itself seriously, but between moe professor and pretty much everything in this episode, I'm having second thoughts.

Build Fighters 22
download.png

No one remembers Gundam F91, Sunrise. I'm pretty certain Tomino doesn't even remember it.

Anyway, kinda eh episode. Mostly build up to the battle between our heroes and Tatsuya.

Quasar

Awesome to see some Silver Spoon in here! My favorite from a few years back, has a very unique atmosphere to it and really lovable characters.

Yeah. Love this show. Quite educational too in terms explaining Japanese farming culture. Especially S2.

Tuck

Bahamut - 5
This is ok. I guess. The plot isn't really going anywhere - like, this episode was about nothing. Nothing happened.

People liked the first season because Kaisar and FAVAROOOO were fun to watch. But the former has been turned into a useless baby, the second has yet to show up and both have been replaced as the main characters.

So, gosh, I don't know. I'll keep watching. Whats here is inoffensive. But they seem to have lost what made the first show enjoyable.

Yu-Gi-Oh! Season 1 (Subtitled) Episode 112 – Jonouchi Targeted Team Play for Victory
C_GeFcMXgAAk_YZ.jpg:small

Still surprised a game master such as Otogi is still considered a beginner in Duel Monsters. My impression of him was that he was much much better.

The noa plot continues to be interesting, hope Kaiba is the one who saves the day this arc.

Kado seems to realise that "terrorists with Wam" is a good question to ask but I wonder if it will give a satisfiable answer? So far every time someone gives a good downside to the Wam the show hand brushes it aside as it has already decided that giving it out to absolutely everyone is "the right answer". However all the arguments used in favour have been purely economic ones which completely leave out the emotional side of humans. All human conflict doesn't come down to physical things like bread, or oil but often it is about emotional things like heritage, sense of belonging or fear of change. When the Wam powered killer robots fight the Wam exoskeleton powered humans whilst the seas boil and lightning bolts shatter across the day skies then you can tell me that Wam is a good idea.

Kado 5

I don't care how smart you are, you won't figure out something that transcends space and time and every technology we know by scrunching your fucking kawaii face and reverse engineering alien technology from another dimension by folding paper

Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's Season 2 (Subtitled) Episode 138 – Bridge to the Future- Rainbow Bridge Bifrost
C_GsXkIXgAITPrN.jpg:small
C_GsXkIXcAERH1A.jpg:small

Bifrost was pretty unique, especially for the view of the Ark Cradle/Future Satellite it showed us. Also nice was the slipstream from Bruno, finally we get to see exactly just who he is.

Im glad Sherry is back, thought she would have died or been stuck in the other dimension.

Kabukibu 4

Wow I never expected Kurusu to have such big stage fright. The poor guy. Having his lack of acting talent slapped to his face was sure to have consequences on him. Also, I wasn't sure about Jophiel character at first, but this episode really sold him. He made a really cool entry.

Also having heard them a few times now I really like the visuals and song of both the OP and the ED. They are really nice.

KraytarJ

Virgin Soul 3-4
My big problem here is I still hate Azazel and the more I learn about Nina the less I like her, that and we seem to keep being served the same plot points episode after episode under the guise of story progression.

Sterok

Twin Angel Break 5

Who cares about a beach episode and twin robot idols? I want to see the full adventures of the hedgehog hitchhiking to Okinawa.

Do I need Memories to make sense of this ? I had very little clue of what's going on in first ep and I'm not sure if its intentional or not.
Yes, you'll miss a ton of important story and character beats if you skip Memories and just watch Melodies.

I cannot take the energy source in Kado being called "Wam" seriously because everytime they say it, it just reminds me of that part in Battle Tendency when the zombie dudes in the crowd are yelling "WHAMMU! WHAMMU! WHAMMU!" during the chariot race

Aki-at

Kado - 5

Makes perfect sense now that the alien would come to Japan if he saw some of their paper crafts. For a show that tries it's hardest to be dead serious, it does a lot that breaks me out of the immersion.

Interested to see the implications this will have on the world, everyone having access to unlimited energy is fine and dandy but as one of the UN representative mentioned what about terrorists/rogue states?

Full Metal Panic! - 2

Canned crab is 1000 yen are you having a laugh mate?

Starmyu Season 2 Episode 4 – Act 4
C_HBBwAXYAIcpPN.jpg:small
C_HBCuNWsAAwF0e.jpg:small

Whoa a Toraishi and Kuga singing part in a song, nice. Im glad we got some mixed groups singing this season, really makes the soundtrack shine.

Hoshitani is really struggling with the acting, perhaps hes just better off singing and not saying anything.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 ending is 2nd best Live Action Dragon Ball Z fight on film after Man of Steel.

Yowamushi Pedal New Generation Episode 16 – The Second Inter-High
C_HLxkBXUAI8zxX.jpg:small
C_HLxjpXsAAtqgC.jpg:small

Hotshot is jealous, though I hadnt realized that before, still both are my favorite Sohokus. I wonder who hotshot will challenge this time. Naruko is already set on the Idiotsuji route so that will probably be soon. Kaburagi though, I think he may die in the race, teshima as well...sad fate for both first serious race in the spotlight.

So thanks to Cornbread making me remember about BECK recently, I've been listening to HIT IN THE USA in loop for like an hour now and man....that song is just too good!

I thought Tamako Love Story was supposed to be a classy film, but there's a bouncing breast complete with over-the-top "BUHWHUM" sound effects in here. Disgusting.

blurr

I thought Tamako Love Story was supposed to be a classy film, but there's a bouncing breast complete with over-the-top "BUHWHUM" sound effects in here. Disgusting.

Yea, I remember there being one scene, don't remember if it is from the movie or the TV show. It stands out enough to make me go 'can't have an anime without a breast size comparison scene huh'.

Quasar

Tsuki ga Kirei 5 - My weekly dose of awkward adoreableness continues. This really is my favourite new ip this season.

Chase17

My Hero 19
Solid episode. Endeavor is certainly father of the year. I also forgot this was how Tetsutetsu got in. Deku gets goaded almost immediately lol.

Ready for Bakugou vs Uraraka

My Hero Academia 19
Man that DekuxTodo and All MightxEndeavor combo talk....it was so good. Some great motivation, realization and a few dark revalation about what a hero society caused to the newer generation. I mean I remembered the arrange stuff, but bought?? Wow. What sealed that scene as amazing though was the variation of *you say run* that played during that last moment. So GOOD! I love Deku and Todo.
The rest of the episode was great character interaction! I always love more Mineta perviness haha. And the quick VS screens were hilarious! Really loved the camera spin on their entry.
Also damn, but Shinso is one hell of an asshole and a creep. Way more then I remembered! They really nailed the anime effect of his quirk. Felt really unsettling.

Bring on next week!

Yu-Gi-Oh! ZEXAL Season 1 Episode 32 – Life Is a Carnival: Part 2

They probably should have kept the card, seemed flawed that no one thought of the number hunter Kaito still being active, May could survive the surgery but lose her soul to him.

Jarmel

Banned
MHA 19-
The first half of this was really good. MHA works best when it takes on a darker/more serious tone.
This was one of the few times where I felt the anime staff actually enhanced a scene from the manga, especially from a storyboarding side. There's emphasis on distance, separation, and isolation in the storyboarding. I went back and read the manga chapters to see how much of it was the anime storyboarder and how much it was from the manga and some of the angles are definitely new. The staff has also done a better job this season of capturing Horikoshi's art in the more serious moments.

All of that said, the second half of this episode was hot garbage, partially again due to the pacing but also the need for the staff to so literally translate events and scenes from the manga. The scavenger hunt stuff is something the anime should have cut out as it screws up the lead-in into the 1vs1 battles and the pacing draws it out even longer than it felt like in the manga.

The Royal Tutor Episode 4 – The Princes Go To Town

I thought they were planning something mean, but it turned out to be something incredibly sweet.

The town visit was fun and they learned the lesson, Kai ftw but also Leon.

Chase17

Attack on Titan 31
Wow! This season has been great. Appreciated the S1 flashbacks since I sure didn't remember any of what they showed.

Loved how casually it was first dropped lol.

So I guess Ymir might be from a different titan tribe or something? And beast titan should still be around this wall I think

Looking forward to next week.

Attack on Titan 31

I really, really love the way this reveal is dropped. Its just so non-chalant and in the middle of another conversation and its like "Wait, no. I could not have POSSIBLY just read that right."

Kado was supposed to be the chosen one. It was meant to bring balance to sci fi political Anime. Not join it.

Oh well. At least Yamato 2299 should be good. I just want more Anime that is good sci fi vs just good sci fi Anime

Yu-Gi-Oh! ZEXAL Season 1 Episode 33 – Foolish Fans
C_JwbI9W0AEUFnq.jpg:small
C_Jzl9WXsAMmEac.jpg:small

Shark, but also the new princes look great, the younger brother is just as good as Quattro.

Caswell and Bronk didnt stand a chance but I enjoyed giving them their random moment to duel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom