• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2017 |OT| Don't be a SukaSuka for Gacha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

Going to watch some anime and wondering which anime to watch.
Saikano series

vwkfbZZ.jpg

Ascheroth

Also, I'm going to be doing a review for my site later, but I just wanted to vent about the issues I have with Akashic Records. I know there's a number of people on here who like it, so I'll choose my words carefully as not to offend-- but god this shit is awful! No but seriously, the issue I have is how condensed this adaptation is. They're running through Volumes at 3 episodes a pop it seems. This has the damaging affect of removing a lot of the characterization, as well as removing time between set up and pay off elements.

For example:
In episode 6 Glenn makes use of the Transmutation ability to disguise himself. But we'd just seen that done one episode ago, so the ability for the series to pull the wool over our eyes, and fool the audience for a surprise is completely gone because there hasn't been enough time and other events for us to forget that happened.

It's fine if you're enjoying Akashic Records, but I feel like we're getting a poor adaptation compared to what other Light Novels tend to get.
I'm enjoying Akashic Records a lot, but I still agree with you :p
I think I'm mostly fine because it's only in my 'dumb fun' category where I don't care all that much about the finer details and have read the manga up to this arc so I can't accurately judge the effect or non-effect of the 'surprises'.
But in general I think 4 episode/volume pacing works out fine for most adaptions, sometimes even more. Everything less is varying degrees of rushed.

Btw, I hope you haven't watched 35th Anit-Magic Platoon - they were going at 2(read: two) episodes/volume. The result is as garbage-tier as one would think.

Also, I'm not sure you want to say Akashic records got the short end of the LN adaption lottery in a season where Clockwork Planet is airing, lol.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Boruto: Naruto Next Generations Episode 6:

Certainly the highest production values seen since the first episode as well as an escalation to the possession battles seen. I suppose the meta-commentary here is Boruto and friends ended up learning a few lessons after all.

Tsukigakirei 5

Oh man these two, the way they act is way too funny and cute, but dammit I know where this is going to go and when we finally made so nice progress...that ending happened! But I feel like that Chisato girl knows of the relationship between Akane and Kota. The problem is Hira and I guess Chisato.

Holy shit. Thanks for the heads up, I just ordered that Code Geass set (Says 4 weeks to ship, but whatever). I've been meaning to watch the series and I figure at a steal like that I might as well grab it up. I also ordered Barakamon for my wife since she loves that show and manga so much.

Also, I'm going to be doing a review for my site later, but I just wanted to vent about the issues I have with Akashic Records. I know there's a number of people on here who like it, so I'll choose my words carefully as not to offend-- but god this shit is awful! No but seriously, the issue I have is how condensed this adaptation is. They're running through Volumes at 3 episodes a pop it seems. This has the damaging affect of removing a lot of the characterization, as well as removing time between set up and pay off elements.

For example:
In episode 6 Glenn makes use of the Transmutation ability to disguise himself. But we'd just seen that done one episode ago, so the ability for the series to pull the wool over our eyes, and fool the audience for a surprise is completely gone because there hasn't been enough time and other events for us to forget that happened.

It's fine if you're enjoying Akashic Records, but I feel like we're getting a poor adaptation compared to what other Light Novels tend to get.

What others? Theres been plenty LN adaptations that have done the same, and even some that considered 10+ volumes in 12 episodes..

I think its kind of fine really as I doubt anyone would really want a slow paced 12 episode LN adaptation that most likely wont get more seasons, so the person adapting it is probably like, lets make it interesting enough and paced enough to get to the most interesting things so people can get interested to try out the source material.

Theonik

The 19.99 price is completely gone now. It's only showing other sellers. I guess this isn't a "sale" so much as Amazon clearing a ton of stock they don't want anymore? Everything seems to be disappearing really quick.
You know you just described what the purpose of sales traditionally is right?
Clear out unwanted stock to make space for new stock.

I'm enjoying Akashic Records a lot, but I still agree with you :p
I think I'm mostly fine because it's only in my 'dumb fun' category where I don't care all that much about the finer details and have read the manga up to this arc so I can't accurately judge the effect or non-effect of the 'surprises'.
But in general I think 4 episode/volume pacing works out fine for most adaptions, sometimes even more. Everything less is varying degrees of rushed.

Btw, I hope you haven't watched 35th Anit-Magic Platoon - they were going at 2(read: two) episodes/volume. The result is as garbage-tier as one would think.

Also, I'm not sure you want to say Akashic records got the short end of the LN adaption lottery in a season where Clockwork Planet is airing, lol.

Lol I dropped 35th Anti-Magic on episode one back when it was first airing. And you're right, I dropped Clockwork Planet early on, so I'd forgotten there already was a lot worse lol.

What others? Theres been plenty LN adaptations that have done the same, and even some that considered 10+ volumes in 12 episodes..

I think its kind of fine really as I doubt anyone would really want a slow paced 12 episode LN adaptation that most likely wont get more seasons, so the person adapting it is probably like, lets make it interesting enough and paced enough to get to the most interesting things so people can get interested to try out the source material.

Konosuba moved at 5 episodes a volume, Devil at 5-6 per volume, etc. Both those shows are quite popular so, I think, yes, people are interested in 'slow' adaptations that take the time to utilize proper pacing.

Cornbread78

Sakurada Reset ep.6
Something keeps drawing me back to this show, despite how boring it can be. It's got a flat line tone and is build around a melancholy tone and robotic dialog. Of course, they have to make the bad guys more interesting than the good guys, and this week was no different. It looks like it's going to get messed up next week with this chick and her ability to
steal abilities
from other people. It's more messed up that the With lady knows exactly what is going to happen and that Kei is about to get seriously messed up (pretty ominous symbolism in her conversation with Haruki)

kewlmyc

it's not that confusing.

a lot of good anime was on sale.
but I noted that not everything I listed was good.

neither statement is false or contradicts each other.

You also said "worth the price". I'd be hard pressed to say Psycho Pass S2 is worth anything more than $0. :p

Just messing around.

Some but not all.

I'm not sure what you're trying to argue here. I never said all Light Novels have better adaptations than Akashic Records is getting, and while I have not compared literally every adaptation anime to its source, I know several series have moved at the pacing I described.

And if we're then discussing quality, I maintain that a 5-6 episodes per volume adaptation is going to be far better and engaging a series than something that rushes through a cliff notes version of its source material in order to cram in the series best of highlights.

Jarmel

Banned
3-4 episodes per volume is normal. 6 episodes per volume is pretty rare. Vice-versa jamming 10+ volumes into a single cour is fairly unusual as well.

Honestly in the 5-6 range, it starts to feel bloated. That was part of the problem with Re:Zero.

Tsugumomo 6
Ok this visual novel style episode was hilarious! Loved every second of it.

Boruto 6
Really amazing episode. It looked so good!They made Shino into such a cool character. He felt so intimidating. But what really made this episode 10/10 was Mitsuki. I just love the guy. His personality and the way he fights and his design and his relationship with Boruto. His moment vs Shino at the end...SO COOOOOOOL! Hopefully with this episode he found his sun in Boruto.

Gulz1992

And if we're then discussing quality, I maintain that a 5-6 episodes per volume adaptation is going to be far better and engaging a series than something that rushes through a cliff notes version of its source material in order to cram in the series best of highlights.

(*cough* Berserk *cough*)

Well, anyway, I saw the new episode of Little Witch Academia. It was definitely one of the better ones. Overall, my opinion of this show is that it has some good and funny scenes, but I wouldn't rate it too highly. A 3 or 3.5 out 5 stars is fair, I think. There's nothing really wrong about the show but also there's nothing really special either. There are far worse anime airing right now (*cough* Berserk *cough*) but there are also some much better ones.

(*cough* Berserk *cough*)

Well, anyway, I saw the new episode of Little Witch Academia. It was definitely one of the better ones. Overall, my opinion of this show is that it has some good and funny scenes, but I wouldn't rate it too highly. A 3 or 3.5 out 5 stars is fair, I think. There's nothing really wrong about the show but also there's nothing really special either. There are far worse anime airing right now (*cough* Berserk *cough*) but there are also some much better ones.

? We're talking about Light Novels, not Manga, but yeah that's generally a bad adaptation.

Line_HTX

Actually, most of the prices has been brought back up to normal. It must have been a short flash sale.

I was going to order E7 tonight too, WTF.

Yeah, I couldn't exactly order this morning because I wanted to wait until I got home. Oh well.

Well, fuck that. What's even the point -_-

(yes, money&marketing primarily, I know)

What do you mean, what's the point? 1080 already looks good.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sakura Quest Episode 6:

I have come to the conclusion that no matter how bland this series is I find that I like the working girls series much more then any waste of time high school setting.

zulux21

You also said "worth the price". I'd be hard pressed to say Psycho Pass S2 is worth anything more than $0. :p

Just messing around.

hey I would pay like $15 for that (thus didn't buy it here)

it's not like PP s2 was bad, it just also wasn't good.
it exists, is a fine way to kill a few hours, but you will get little to nothing out of it given it retreads a lot of the same stuff as the first season.

zulux21

heh.... the opening to one piece makes a lot more sense knowing the japanese numbers.

I understand why it's one, two, sunshine, four now >.<:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom