• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2017 |OT| Don't be a SukaSuka for Gacha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gundam Build Fighters Try 1
download.png

Oh I've heard about the wacky romance hijinks. They're why Jexhius loves this season...

So the big problem with the first episode of Try is I don't feel it introduced me to any of the characters. The first season established its leads really well in the first episode. By contrast, the first episode of Try ends by saying a team will eventually come together, and maybe grow beyond standard anime jokes. The thing is, you gotta give us something to grab onto regarding these characters. (Sekai=likes martial arts, Fumina=likes Gunpla. That kinda sums it up.) There are little tidbits of characterization, but nothing to really make any of them grow on you.
download_1.png

At least Ral is back?

Gundam Build Fighters Try 1

So the big problem with the first episode of Try is I don't feel it introduced me to any of the characters. The first season established its leads really well in the first episode. By contrast, the first episode of Try ends by saying a team will eventually come together, and maybe grow beyond standard anime jokes. The thing is, you gotta give us something to grab onto regarding these characters. (Sekai=likes martial arts, Fumina=likes Gunpla. That kinda sums it up.) There are little tidbits of characterization, but nothing to really make any of them grow on you.

STOP.

CEASE.

DESIST.

GET OUT OF THERE.

BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE!

Hey you guys, any stand out anime this year? I've only seen sequels so far.

If you want something that isn't tied to a previously existing anime franchise, ID-0 and Tsuki ga Kirei have been promising so far. Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid and Scum's Wish may be worth a look as well.

It's too late nintendoman.

I'm already caught in its gravitational pull.

In the end, man is bound by the Earth...and its bad anime...

Look, just skip to the Tryon fight. That's all you need to see. Pretend the show ends there.

You're only going to experience a cavalcade of bad characters, unnecessary harem bullshit, rushed plot-points (some of which that go nowhere), and be left with a sense of emptiness as what was supposed to be Gundam's savior ends up exactly like the rest of them.

Aki-at

Rage of Bahamut: Genesis - 3

So Lucifer and Satan are two different characters? Series is rubbing off a lot more positively off the more I get into it. Kaiser seems to be getting more involved in the story (And his dynamic with Favero is something I've enjoyed so far) and now another addition to the group I presume in Rita? Looking forward to where the groups jounrey takes them.

Cornbread78

Beck ep.7-8
Yeah, I would've fought the fuckers and at least kicked him in the dick. Who cares if I got beaten down. No reason for him to keep going like this. Time to fight back Koyuki!

Also, this is obe of the first times I've seen them preach about safe sex (outside of Nana's birth control pills, lol)

on the facebook page Gundam Global Portal it says

[GUNDAM BUILD _EXTRA BATTLE PROJECT]
<Gundam Build Fighters GM's Counterattack>
It has been three years since the end of the "Gundam Build Fighters" TV series.
Now a totally new story starring Sei Iori and friends is set to begin.
It features spectacular Gunpla battles featuring both your favorite mobile suits from the TV series, and all new designs created specifically for "GM's Counterattack".

<Gundam Build Fighters Battlogue>
This is a dynamic dream battle featuring many types of Gunpla skirmishing in all sorts of situations by short film.
There are Gunpla battles for every fan in here!

so it's a new story+ a few shorts?

Hey you guys, any stand out anime this year? I've only seen sequels so far.

For non sequels I'd say Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid and Scum's Wish are the standouts so far. The Saga of Tanya the Evil is also better than you might expect if you can get past certain aspects of the story.

duckroll

so we're getting a GBF recap thing and a new GBF thing with the first season cast but they arent grown up or what?

No. We are getting two brand new GBF things. One is a new original story featuring the original cast called GM's Counterattack. It should be a special like Island Wars was for GBF Try. This is by the original GBF director. The second thing we are getting is a short film called Battlogue directed by mecha designer/animator Obari, which is likely just a collection of cool mecha battles.

ID-0 episode 1
le_GWg.jpg

Well at least
she got her body back at the end.
That seems to be the one thing that's going well for our poor lead. CG is decent. Designs are fine, though I'm not really in love with any of them. I liked the scene where Maya had to be advised on how to adjust her hearing in her new body. It's little moments like that gives the audience a sense of how odd this must be for her.

Aki-at

I can't help but picture the interpretation of Lucifer and Satan in Seven Mortal Sins, hahahaha

They'd fit in perfectly with the hand dog puppet demon girl in this show tbh :p

Rage of Bahamut - 4

Interesting backstory behind Favero and Kaiser but I'm sure it's not all that seems it is. Rita has the most op power, so if she can bite anything she's basically got an endless army.

NeonZ

Lucifer/Satan/Beelzebub are different characters in some christian mythology. Beelzebub is usually a giant fly.

I don't think there's any actual belief system where they all coexist and are different, but when grouping them as mythological characters, it's possible to differentiate them due to their different origins or evolution.

Satan - He can be an accuser and tester of humans technically working for God(don't be fooled by SMT's really benign take on it though, even when he seems to be working for God he's still portrayed as enjoying human failure), a generic king of demons or evil spirits, or, due to references in the New Testament, a Fallen Angel leader. Obviously if you want Lucifer to coexist with him this last one generally won't be used.
Lucifer - Fallen Angel leader, usually takes the place of those New Testament references about "Satan" falling from heaven and leading a rebellion.
Beelzebub - Corruption of Ba'al, a pagan god. Often seen as a giant fly or with insect features since the name means "Lord of Flies".

Hamst3r

Animation Runner Kuromi - This is good stuff. It's like a mix of Shirobako and Excel Saga; and I'd have to say I prefer it to Shirobako. They could make a whole series of this.

All Purpose Cultural Cat Girl Nuku Nuku - I liked this quite a bit too.

Genma Taisen (Harmageddon) - This on the other hand, this is one of the best-looking bad anime movies I've seen. Great visuals, but holy shit that story, and all of the hilarious expository dialogue. I don't think it's quite so-bad-it's-good bad though, which is unfortunate.

Finished Tiger & Bunny enjoyed the Japanese take on more American style heroes. The whole premise was good and I'm glad the story did the plot lines it had. Felt Bunny's whole arc at the end was a bit too typical even for a hero story lol.

I liked it but also did not have an amazing omg moment. Like the characters and world, would love to see it fleshed out more in a sequel.

Not sure what to watch next, want something new but finished so I can binge it/catch an episode while at the gym.

Sweeeeeeeet a comment I made on Yuri on Ice is now apparently quoted in the Yuri on Ice wikipedia from the review I wrote! It's not the most flattering thing I said about the series, but I'm famous at last! Muwahahaha
Why'd it have to be the quote where I railed on the skating animation nose dive? Thaaat's going to get me shit.

SkyOdin

Gundam Build Fighters Try was actually a lot of fun, despite some notable problems.

Ironically, I think one of the biggest problems of Try was the overuse of Ramba Ral as a character. It feels a little disrespectful to say that, considering the unfortunate passing of Ral's original voice actor, but I feel it is the case.

One of the big problems with Try is that the three leads don't spend nearly enough time interacting with each other. Instead, Sekai and Fumina always bounce their character development off of their coach. So the inter-party dynamics of the trio remain significantly under-developed until the last stretch of the show, where a change in creative staff leads to a change where the leads do interact directly more often. Ramba Ral doesn't even have a major role or character arc in Try to justify his prominence. In the first season, he was great, but in Try he mostly serves as a brick wall for Fumina and Sekai to talk to.

A show like Gundam Build Fighters succeeds or fails based on the chemistry of the main cast. Try had problems because they put up too many obstacles between the main cast members that precluded them from building good chemistry. That wasn't the only problem of Try, but it was a big one.

I still think that Sekai's martial arts are a massive improvement over the Build Knuckle though. Sekai really sold his attacks and made them fun to watch.

I still think that Sekai's martial arts are a massive improvement over the Build Knuckle though. Sekai really sold his attacks and made them fun to watch.

I'll never get this.

Not only was Build Knuckle introduced in the middle of the show, it was mostly used as a finisher. Sekai's jigen hao ryu bullshit was there from episode on amped up to an insane amount over Build Knuckle and was always used as the finisher and mid fight because Try hated showing any kind of tactical thinking even though it was a show about triple battles and teamwork. It also turned into some catch-all Hokuto Shinken bullshit where it turns out martial arts has a counter for literally every situation.

I guess it can be considered better if you also find Naruto using 40 different kinds of Rasengans appealing. Yeah its the same shit, but this one has some firey swirls in it.

Cornbread78

Fantastic Children ep.12
Pretty intense episode with Kirschner, but most importantly, I finally got confirmation that the white haired kids are really
aliens from another planet
Maybe Helga is the key to them
getting back to their home planet?
Still a million tjings to explain, but at least it's movibg forward.

duckroll

I'll never get this.

Not only was Build Knuckle introduced in the middle of the show, it was mostly used as a finisher. Sekai's jigen hao ryu bullshit was there from episode on amped up to an insane amount over Build Knuckle and was always used as the finisher and mid fight because Try hated showing any kind of tactical thinking even though it was a show about triple battles and teamwork. It also turned into some catch-all Hokuto Shinken bullshit where it turns out martial arts has a counter for literally every situation.

I guess it can be considered better if you also find Naruto using 40 different kinds of Rasengans appealing. Yeah its the same shit, but this one has some firey swirls in it.

I dunno, I totally get it. Like, I wouldn't defend Try for the poorer character work and general step down in direction and action animation, but I totally get this. The fundamental difference is this: GBF was not a super robot show, while GBFT was a super robot show. It's about intent from the onset.

GBF was sold to audiences as a show about tactical competitive action, and the best episodes of the show was about clever strategies used by one party to overcome the other. It's like watching Gundam Paintball. So when the latter half of the show falls back to a single super move being the key to victory in every match the lead is in, it becomes stale and boring because of expectations.

GBFT on the other hand was sold to audiences as a wacky over the top team shounen battle super robot show. It's far less "realistic", the rules are much looser, and much of it is about the power of imagination. In that context, given that the lead is a martial artist who seems to know jack shit about military mech combat, I don't think it drags the show down at all. It's very much part of the theme.

Finished Tiger & Bunny enjoyed the Japanese take on more American style heroes. The whole premise was good and I'm glad the story did the plot lines it had. Felt Bunny's whole arc at the end was a bit too typical even for a hero story lol.

I liked it but also did not have an amazing omg moment. Like the characters and world, would love to see it fleshed out more in a sequel.

Not sure what to watch next, want something new but finished so I can binge it/catch an episode while at the gym.

Active Raid.

Sweeeeeeeet a comment I made on Yuri on Ice is now apparently quoted in the Yuri on Ice wikipedia from the review I wrote! It's not the most flattering thing I said about the series, but I'm famous at last! Muwahahaha
Why'd it have to be the quote where I railed on the skating animation nose dive? Thaaat's going to get me shit.

Did you edit that into Wikipedia yourself? ^_^.

I dunno, I totally get it. Like, I wouldn't defend Try for the poorer character work and general step down in direction and action animation, but I totally get this. The fundamental difference is this: GBF was not a super robot show, while GBFT was a super robot show. It's about intent from the onset.

GBF was sold to audiences as a show about tactical competitive action, and the best episodes of the show was about clever strategies used by one party to overcome the other. It's like watching Gundam Paintball. So when the latter half of the show falls back to a single super move being the key to victory in every match the lead is in, it becomes stale and boring because of expectations.

GBFT on the other hand was sold to audiences as a wacky over the top team shounen battle super robot show. It's far less "realistic", the rules are much looser, and much of it is about the power of imagination. In that context, given that the lead is a martial artist who seems to know jack shit about military mech combat, I don't think it drags the show down at all. It's very much part of the theme.

Hmm. I've never thought of it like that, but I would probably still call GBF a super robot show because of the tournament aspects and lack of any real war or large conflict. It doesn't really neatly fit though, but it doesn't have to. I always thought of it as a successor to G Gundam even before Try when it became literal. But GBF was a celebration of the series first and foremost.

Try is a total full on super robot show from the onset though. Just not a very good one. It's just that while Try is a super robot show, it also wanted to be a team based show which inherently means tactics. And it never delivered on that. The most you would get is Yuuma (ugh) popping a few sniper shots and then Fumina sacrifices herself to give everyone more shoulder guns. In that sense it was deeply unsatisfying to me because Try didn't know what it wanted it's fights to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom