• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2017 |OT| Don't be a SukaSuka for Gacha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

That's a larger failing of the show but does it really matter if the episodic content in of itself is entertaining? I don't mind if the show is essentially spinning its wheels if it's as fun as this episode. Compare that to episode (16?) which had Akko supposedly learning the value of patience but was an utterly dull affair.

The show's character writing in regards to how it fleshes out the side characters in a meaningful way is atrocious and that probably won't change. So in that case I think it's fine to have entertaining fluff essentially. Yes it's not an either/or type of situation but episodes like this which are mostly just everyone at Trigger having fun, aren't bad either.

I understand your position and I don't begrudge you for it. I couldn't engage with the material on that basic level because I kept thinking "this is episode 18 and the amount of wheel spinning going on is outrageous!".What's with that confrontation at the end of the episode between Croix and Ursula? I mean, hello, Croix tried to murder you episodes ago, don't act shocked that she's doing something villainous when you know she's a villain! It was just a pointless scene that went nowhere.

The other problem I had with this episode is that, even if we take it on it's own merits, the set-up for the 'fun' is outrageously thin. There's some event we've never heard of called the Wild Hunt, which both mechanically and lore-wise is never really explained, that supposedly motivates Constanze to do a thing. We don't really know why she wants do it, or what she'll be doing, and the whole thing is interrupted anyway by Croix doing a meaningless villain thing to create conflict out of nowhere for no apparent reason. It's just too woolly and unfocused.

Saekano S2 -05

So Eriri crashed and burned. Wonder if she was able to finish everything really. Tomoya is as clueless as always of course, only making matters worse.

Andrew J.

[Little Witch Academia TV] - 18 (Remix)

I can why people reacted to this episode fairly positively. I mean, it did have a scene with a cool transforming robot, Constanze featured heavily, and Akko made some funny faces. Sadly, that's not nearly enough to hang an episode of a TV show on. What LWA TV seems to frequently forget among all the flashy scenes and wacky gags, is that you need to tell a story about characters that the audience cares about. Without that, all you have is hollow spectacle. This episode is a particularly egregious example of this.

Mmm, hollow spectacle...

Taruranto

Girls VA #5
mzya5iM.jpg

FRSHSuz.jpg

This was pretty insightful (and awkward to watch lol). I always wondered how the staff of failed series feels. I wonder how much knowledge of the industry the writer actually has, though.

Also Gotou/Chitose's relationship is pretty damn weird. It doesn't even come off as incestuous, they just straight up don't act like siblings but like close coworkers. I actually didn't figure they were siblings until episode 2 (3?).

I also saw the quote that got me interested in this series.

Build Fighters Try Episode 2
C_krd1b_UIAA25_AH.jpg

Watching this episode felt like I accidentally jumped ahead several episodes to the end of a story arc. What is this pacing? Why is this show just throwing characters at me? Why is Ral's presence just not explained? I don't care how over the top your mecha show is, you gotta some subtlety when dealing with hopes and dreams. You can't just have people who have just met start talking like they've known each other their entire lives! I also don't like how Fumina needs saving when she was a huge badass in the first episode.

Jarmel

Banned
I understand your position and I don't begrudge you for it. I couldn't engage with the material on that basic level because I kept thinking "this is episode 18 and the amount of wheel spinning going on is outrageous!".What's with that confrontation at the end of the episode between Croix and Ursula? I mean, hello, Croix tried to murder you episodes ago, don't act shocked that she's doing something villainous when you know she's a villain! It was just a pointless scene that went nowhere.

The other problem I had with this episode is that, even if we take it on it's own merits, the set-up for the 'fun' is outrageously thin. There's some event we've never heard of called the Wild Hunt, which both mechanically and lore-wise is never really explained, that supposedly motivates Constanze to do a thing. We don't really know why she wants do it, or what she'll be doing, and the whole thing is interrupted anyway by Croix doing a meaningless villain thing to create conflict out of nowhere for no apparent reason. It's just too woolly and unfocused.

The script flat out just wasn't designed either for this episode count or really expanding the characters in a notable fashion. Are we even going to get a Sucy backstory episode? Both Lotte and Sucy haven't done shit for the past few episodes either. The TV show is almost completely centered around Akko. At this point I don't think the writer is interested in delving into any of the characters and is more focused on providing fun episodic content that essentially burns up time. I agree this is somewhat of a problem, especially as a number of episodes could have either been axed or reworked in order to better flesh out the characters and provide fun standalone adventures. That said, I'm not inherently opposed to episodes like this especially when the execution is there. I know we sort of diverge on this.

Besides the previous episode failed to do both!

Taruranto

Natsume 6 #5

http://webm.land/media/qi8m.webm

Damn, this arc was so good. Looked pretty good too, definitely a stand out among S5-6. They even animated a character running decently!

Next episode is
Kitamoto's extra chapter,
which it's another of my favorites. If they get to animate the arc in which
Natori and Natsume discuss the Book of Friends
this may become my favorite Natsume season, to be honest.

Tsuki ga kirei - 06

This is either going to end up in misunderstanding, or it'll go really well for these 2. Finally they seem to have gotten a little closer.

The episode skits were funny this week too

Cornbread78

Tsuki ga Kirei ep.6
Well, their relationship is moving forward at a very comfortable pace for both of them. Next week should get very interesting to see how he deals with another
confession
. He's gotta handle it better than everything turned out for our couple's normal lives...

We can all agree that Little Witch Academia will be a mediocre show that had a few good episodes whether or not you liked 18.

So just like Kill la Kill!!!! Bravo Trigger!!!!

Cornbread78

Lo e Tyrant ep.6
Some decent laughs here, but this episode was split up very episodically and didn't try to hide it at all. Outside of that, Seiji is forgetting what his mission is from the angel's father.... bad boy!

Aki-at

Bahamut: Geneis - 7

Drunk Amira is pretty cute. Favaro is a total bro trying to keep Kaiser going after he lost everything, their team up was great to see (And last episode's cutlery battle was pretty funny) with a cool fight against Azazel that had some coordination in their battle.

I just listened to the english dub version of the BLAME! trailer(I AM SO HYPED BTW) and I thought it was only a Japanese pronunciation thing but I wonder why they kept, what seems like, the french pronunciation for the title. That means I said the title wrong all this time.

Either way! 8 days!

KraytarJ

Saekano.flat 5
Utaha shows her dominatrix side and that's really great. Kato loses the ponytail and it's honestly pretty devastating. Oh yeah and Eriri seems to be going through some shit right now, maybe Kato will be able to save her too.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I think Trigger is just mediocre at this point :p

Saekano.flat 5
Utaha shows her dominatrix side and that's really great. Kato loses the ponytail and it's honestly pretty devastating. Oh yeah and Eriri seems to be going through some shit right now, maybe Kato will be able to save her too.
Pretty funny how the bland, least emotional one is basically helping out the ones that are full of personality and emotion. Kato is easily the best girl.

The dub is probably the best thing about Kill La Kill.

BTW, when did KLK go from good/okay to mediocre/bad in people's minds? I would say it was when the Elite Four fights got dragged out only to result in nothing basically.

DNAbro

Kill la Kill is a goddamn masterpiece. Does it get dumber and dumber as it goes on? You goddamn right it does. It doesn't care how stupid and ridiculous it gets and that's the beauty of it. Pure, stupid fun that draws you into it's bullshit and makes you love it.

The dub is probably the best thing about Kill La Kill.

BTW, when did KLK go from good/okay to mediocre/bad in people's minds? I would say it was when the Elite Four fights got dragged out only to result in nothing basically.

I have never liked KLK.

So I guess you could say it has never changed for me lol

Super lovers S1 1-END

That was cute and funny, I liked it. Really liked Ren. No way Japan is that accepting though.
-------------

Does Viz Media Europe getting A Slient Voice mean Viz media NA got it too?

Aki-at

I like Kill la Kill and I like the main character.

But I think this is the 7th time we've had this little rodeo with the show since I've been posting, will anime threads ever be free of discussion surrounding Trigger's unique piece of low brow high art?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom