• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2017 |OT| Don't be a SukaSuka for Gacha

Status
Not open for further replies.
the only way this news could be better is if there was also a Gundam AGE OVA announced.

gAGE gen 2 OVAs would be awesome. I still dream of Zehearto-samas and Asemu school club days. Would have been so good.

No. We are getting two brand new GBF things. One is a new original story featuring the original cast called GM's Counterattack. It should be a special like Island Wars was for GBF Try. This is by the original GBF director. The second thing we are getting is a short film called Battlogue directed by mecha designer/animator Obari, which is likely just a collection of cool mecha battles.

So a 48+ episode tv anime is still ??? :(

duckroll

Hmm. I've never thought of it like that, but I would probably still call GBF a super robot show because of the tournament aspects and lack of any real war or large conflict. It doesn't really neatly fit though, but it doesn't have to. I always thought of it as a successor to G Gundam even before Try when it became literal. But GBF was a celebration of the series first and foremost.

Try is a total full on super robot show from the onset though. Just not a very good one. It's just that while Try is a super robot show, it also wanted to be a team based show which inherently means tactics. And it never delivered on that. The most you would get is Yuuma (ugh) popping a few sniper shots and then Fumina sacrifices herself to give everyone more shoulder guns. In that sense it was deeply unsatisfying to me because Try didn't know what it wanted it's fights to be.

It's pretty hard to make a convincing argument that GBF is a super robot show because of how hard it dips into UC nostalgia. The selection of mechs along with Meijin Kawaguchi's fights clearly make it lean more on "real robot" aesthetics than super. The fact that it's a kid's game tournament doesn't really matter.

The team aspect of Try doesn't necessarily mean "tactics" either, besides the superficial aspect of people working together. Lots of super robot shows are team based, and super sentai is defined by it being about teams. Yet those shows don't really have deep tactics, and the group aspect exists only for variety and so one character can be in a pinch and be saved by teammates making for feel good moments.

I agree Try isn't a very good super robot show. I also agree that coming from GBF, Try was a disappointment. But I think there are valid reasons why people might find Try's martial arts focus less annoying than GBF's reliance on Build Knuckle.

Kickz

Space Brothers 44

QeOkvB5.jpg
2ouwEBG.jpg
4Z0yzp6.jpg

NASA gotta be the originators of the Americans clapping meme, anyways this show knows how to bring the feels with its characters. That bit at the end between brothers was touching

When Space Bros. gets serious, it gets serious.

That and the feels, I need this ost.

KraytarJ

Sakura Quest 6
IT-chan's crisis has been fleshed out and now it's Oden detective's turn. Overall I really liked it as a near parallel to the last episode but instead of someone facing an existential crisis about their importance, this time it's about their own dedication. Also that ending was very sudden. Also the outfits are consistently great.

Nier: Automata 1st hour

Right, time to pretend I understand the lore of Nier and crazy mind of Taro Yoko.

Glory to mankind.

Nobody understands Nier lore. Not even Taro.

Aside from a sidequest or two, no prior knowledge to Nier/Drakengard 1/3 won't really harm you by not knowing. The best parts of Automata stand by themselves.

Ascheroth

Aside from a sidequest or two, no prior knowledge to Nier/Drakengard 1/3 will really harm you by not knowing. The best parts of Automata stand by themselves.

As someone who played Automata without prior knowledge of Nier/Drakengard (besides a little bit of 1), in hindsight I wish I had played Nier beforehand (though that wasn't really an option anyway not owning any of the platforms it's on, but still).
Still a damn fantastic game on its own, but I can't help but think I could have liked it even more with more background knowledge.
Trails in the Sky the 3rd

All the best anime this year have been games! What is going on?
I thought Automata was a lock-in for personal GOTY, but the 3rd is making the decision really difficult suddenly.

As someone who played Automata without prior knowledge of Nier/Drakengard (besides a little bit of 1), in hindsight I wish I had played Nier beforehand (though that wasn't really an option anyway not owning any of the platforms it's on, but still).
Still a damn fantastic game on its own, but I can't help but think I could have liked it even more with more background knowledge.

The thing is, I bet it works just as well if you went from Automata back to Nier.

But when Taro said you wouldn't need to play Nier to get the full story of Automata he was lying so fucking hard. I think the story gets across fine, but with the extra context a few key characters and scenes suddenly become far more poignant. And usually deeply saddening but HEY. Most of the Nier/Drakengard connections are for super fans to mark out on tbh. That kind of speculation isn't as interesting to me as the actual themes and story of the game, which really just requires Automata and no other games or novellas or stage plays

Jex

[Little Witch Academia] - 18

I hate to say this but wake up sheeple, this was not a good episode. I can understand why you might be temporarily stunned by the appearance of a cool robot, but once you get past that minor titillation there's really nothing going on this episode beyond another squandered opportunity to develop the main cast.

Szadek

Aside from a sidequest or two, no prior knowledge to Nier/Drakengard 1/3 won't really harm you by not knowing. The best parts of Automata stand by themselves.
I still recommend to play Nier first if possible.
It's not much, but certain scenes will hit a lot harder if you played the first game.

Eccentric Family - 18

What a gem of a TV show, period. Unlike most of the posters on here I actually felt some sympathy for Benten hehe. I love the way the second season builds on the first to create something really fresh and genuinely interesting worth watching. I hope there is enough content in the novels for a couple of more seasons.

Qurupeke

Nier: Automata 1st hour

Right, time to pretend I understand the lore of Nier and crazy mind of Taro Yoko.

Glory to mankind.

It's time to... become as gods.

Eccentric Family - 18

What a gem of a TV show, period. Unlike most of the posters on here I actually felt some sympathy for Benten hehe. I love the way the second season builds on the first to create something really fresh and genuinely interesting worth watching. I hope there is enough content in the novels for a couple of more seasons.

I see, you're a good person.

Jintor

i wish there wasn't such a highly prevalent venn diagram intersection of "I like to draw lewd pictures on twitter" and "OMG CENSORSHIP U LIBTARDS JUST DENYING GREAT JAPANESE ARRRRRTISTRY" (to put it mildly)

just had to unfollow someone I vaguely admired art-wise. sigh

Eccentric Family - 18

Only two novels for now, they are real novels, not LN. The second season is adapting the second novel.

The good news is that I read somewhere the author has intentions of writing a third one, about the 'Tengu War'.

Cornbread78

DN Angel ep.13
Interesting little adventure here. Looks like Dark picked up a 98 year old young lady this time....

DN Angel ep.14
Whelp, the love of his life has been tainted by Dark. What is he going to do now? I actually felt bad for the kid in that last scene since he was legit shook.... That was some strong NTR right there; actually, this episode has double NTR with two different angles of the main ship..... Older sis is best sis anyway..

in the end notes of volume 61 it was confirmed that fairy tail should be ending in two more volumes at volume 63.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...y-tail-manga-to-end-in-2-more-volumes/.115944

I am assuming the movie is going to announce a final season of anime.

it sounds like the creator already has the outline of a new story and will jump right into it after fairy tail.

Kodansha must be treating him really well.

I know I havent been commenting much on Fairy Tail, but Ill definitely miss it and Natsu and Gray alot, really awesome series it has been.

Now to spend 2018 collecting the rest of the volumes I dont have.

Cornbread78

in the end notes of volume 61 it was confirmed that fairy tail should be ending in two more volumes at volume 63.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...y-tail-manga-to-end-in-2-more-volumes/.115944

it sounds like the creator already has the outline of a new story and will jump right into it after fairy tail.

Man, just reading this reminds me it's time to start the next arc ASAP! Still a lot of FT left to watch for me, lol.

End of a personal little era for me.

Manga is full of BS, but the series will always have a special place in my heart as my "re-gateway" anime.

Really curious on what he does next. Mashima has some of the best
male
character designs. So I'll defintely check it out.

Cornbread78

Kino's Journey ep.10
These countries sure do get pretty bizarre. This was a more dramatic and disturbing story with an "Oh no" ending. Only a few more episodes left on Kino's journey, so I wonder where she ends up..

Aki-at

Rage of Bahamut: Genesis - 5

Huh, wasn't paying attention earlier but didn't realise the blonde female soldier was Jeanne d'Arc, that's always a death flag. As I thought, Favaro and Kaiser's feud is a bit of a misunderstanding and other players pulling the strings from the background but we got a cool little fight out of it. Really do like this group of unlikely heroes, a good mix of characters is making this such a fun show to watch.

-Minsc-

Space Brothers 44

NASA gotta be the originators of the Americans clapping meme, anyways this show knows how to bring the feels with its characters. That bit at the end between brothers was touching

That and the feels, I need this ost.

The show can be a slow burn but it pays off in my mind. It's mostly all about the characters. When something happens, it can hurt.

blurr

I've been reading Monster manga lately, I figured I don't think I can spend time for 72 episodes so I thought I'd read it instead. Out of the 26 chapters I've read I really felt this would benefit more from a more meditated and slower pace than it is. There's a lot of touching moments but it kind of builds up predictably and the resolution to minor arcs doesn't feel as rewarding as it's supposed to partly due to the pace at it which moves forward.

How does the anime fare? I've read it moves at a slower pace but I wonder if it came off well.

Paltheos

Space Bros. is legit, but it's impossible to recommend to any of my friends. It's a long, slice-of-life story
without a proper conclusion
. Always glad when I see someone watching and enjoying though. You're not up to my favorite moment:
That scene where the younger brother completes his rehabilitation, walking in a full space suit again in that closet without panicking. I was breathing along with him.

Sakura Quest 6

AOTY

Show has been consistently great. Nothing else I can say except I love the characters and their interactions. Lots of funny moments between them. This episode was rich in cats and cuteness.

The zombie movie plot is so stupid. Most obvious death flag ever lol

-Minsc-

Space Bros. is legit, but it's impossible to recommend to any of my friends. It's a long, slice-of-life story
. Always glad when I see someone watching and enjoying though. You're not up to my favorite moment:
That scene where the younger brother completes his rehabilitation, walking in a full space suit again in that closet without panicking. I was breathing along with him.

That's one of the reasons I'm reading the Manga on Crunchyroll. The anime ended around chapter 187-188. It would be great if the anime returned late this year for 26 episodes. There's currently up to ch 294 that could be adapted.

I understand but for me, anytime someone use the going back in time format to a point where all the issue didn't happen, it make me feel like all the pain and suffering the MC have to go through, all the happiness the MC feel when he realize he can do something about it to fix this issue after not been there for so many years, all of this really come down to nothing once you get back to the point of time. So, what the audience have to go through is basically nothing as it didn't happen if this go through. I know why it have to be done and I understand that, but the story set this up to get to that point which if they don't want to, they don't have to so, you don't use the time travel back in time format. Funny, the ending of movie (even though the movie isn't as good as the show) kinda proof it can be done and to me, a better way to end the series I have to say but I have a feeling the fans will hate it. Either way, it's an issue I have with the show but I put it aside and accept it when watching it so we got to see the best ending of the story (which is what people want to see right).

Funny, because that's exactly how I felt after they
used the alternate world plot to undo every moment of After Story that I actually liked.
For me, it destroyed the significance of all the character growth Tomoya demonstrated through that period.

Obviously they had to do something with that plot, but I think the thing they chose to do was wrong for their story.

I understand where you guys are coming from and what you're saying is a valid point to make. However, the show does make it pretty clear that
Tomoya remembers what happened in the other world even if he doesn't perfectly understand how it happened himself. (Even though the audience does.) He still takes that lesson with him into his new "chance" and what he went through and learned is still something carries with him.

Uh oh, mild criticism of Clannad.

You know THAT's never allowed in here.

Calm down. Everything is fine. We're all having a nice discussion actually. :)

Kickz

I am only half way through by the looks of it, this current Hibito arc is paying off, but I prefer when Mutta is the main guy like the recent training arc.

I'll probably move to the manga, once the anime runs out

-Minsc-

I am only half way through by the looks of it, this current Hibito arc is paying off, but I prefer when Mutta is the main guy like the recent training arc.

I'll probably move to the manga, once the anime runs out

I think most like the Mutta centred episodes more. It's hard not to like his character.

Jex

[Little Witch Academia TV] - 18 (Remix)

I can why people reacted to this episode fairly positively. I mean, it did have a scene with a cool transforming robot, Constanze featured heavily, and Akko made some funny faces. Sadly, that's not nearly enough to hang an episode of a TV show on. What LWA TV seems to frequently forget among all the flashy scenes and wacky gags, is that you need to tell a story about characters that the audience cares about. Without that, all you have is hollow spectacle. This episode is a particularly egregious example of this.

On paper, this episode should be good. After all, this is the first time (even though we've had two Amanda episodes) that we've had an Constanze-focused episode. This should mean that there's huge scope to tell an interesting story about this character that we know basically nothing about. Unfortunately it doesn't feel like the writer knows much about this character either, because the vast majority of the episode revolves around Akko's relationship with Constanze, rather than Constanze herself. Whoops. Indeed, you could say that the audience comes out of this episode knowing basically as much about Constanze, her past, her aspirations, her interests, as we knew going in. This seems like a pretty fundamental failure.

The most successful version of this kind of episode is one where the side character that we are being introduced to has something they need to do, a conflict to overcome, a goal to meet. Maybe it's to with their family, their friends, someone they are romantically interested in. Basic story stuff. The central conflict in this episode is not about Constanze overcoming some personal difficulty or achieving some goal (that she did not already have). The conflict is that Constanze wants to be left alone to do a thing, and Akko won't stop bugging her. This conflict is essentially resolved as soon as Akko proves herself to useful as a courier service. The end. Oh, sorry, I forgot to mention they punch a ghost with a robot and Constanze makes a face. Roll credits.

What can we take away from this episode about Constanze? Almost nothing, because the show really treats her as a second fiddle to Akko .We rarely see any scenes purely from Constanze's perspective. We don't know anything about her inner world. Why did she want to be left alone before? What motivates her? What's her relationship with her parents? Why does she hang around with those other girls? The show doesn't raise these questions, let alone answer them, because it doesn't seem to actually care about Constanze. As a result, I can't care about her or anything that happens in this episode.

I feel that I can basically apply the same criticism to every time we 'visit' with a side character. You assume that, as the episode will revolve around them, that they will develop in some manner. That they will get less 'flat'. But that basically never happens and it's a real problem because one of the reasons you have a series this long is because it gives you a chance to develop and flesh out your cast in interesting ways. When that doesn't happen all you're left with is vaguely pretty fluff that fails to satisfy.

petran79

Banned
I've been reading Monster manga lately, I figured I don't think I can spend time for 72 episodes so I thought I'd read it instead. Out of the 26 chapters I've read I really felt this would benefit more from a more meditated and slower pace than it is. There's a lot of touching moments but it kind of builds up predictably and the resolution to minor arcs doesn't feel as rewarding as it's supposed to partly due to the pace at it which moves forward.

How does the anime fare? I've read it moves at a slower pace but I wonder if it came off well.

From what I understand, TV series is similar to the manga in pace. Problem is you can not read and watch both the manga and the anime since the whole story gets spoiled. So depending which you pick first, it will likely impress you the most.
I only read the manga.

However regarding Urasawa's other work, Yawara! and Master Keaton, the TV adaptations are very good. It is worth noting that Urasawa changed Yawara's grand dad design to the one from the TV adaptation.

JulianImp

Tsuki ga kirei - #6
Still kinda cute, but I still can't get over how much the post-credits 4koma gags clash against the tone of the series proper... That guy at Kadokawayama calling the boy just to tell him to give up on novels proper and asking for LNs instead was pretty vexing and sad, though.

Eromanga-sensei - #1
Oh look, more Oreimo, this time with a hikki-dere little sister! Kind of like how the series name is pure bait (again) because eromangas aren't actually involved (...yet).

Kuroko no basket - #1-2
Not really a fan of sport shows, but I've got to say the pacing has been really good so far. I am kinda put off by how bromantic Kuroko and Taiga's relationship is though, but it isn't bad enough to make me want to drop the series for now.

Jarmel

Banned
[Little Witch Academia TV] - 18 (Remix)

I can why people reacted to this episode fairly positively. I mean, it did have a scene with a cool transforming robot, Constanze featured heavily, and Akko made some funny faces. Sadly, that's not nearly enough to hang an episode of a TV show on. What LWA TV seems to frequently forget among all the flashy scenes and wacky gags, is that you need to tell a story about characters that the audience cares about. Without that, all you have is hollow spectacle. This episode is a particularly egregious example of this.

On paper, this episode should be good. After all, this is the first time (even though we've had two Amanda episodes) that we've had an Constanze-focused episode. This should mean that there's huge scope to tell an interesting story about this character that we know basically nothing about. Unfortunately it doesn't feel like the writer knows much about this character either, because the vast majority of the episode revolves around Akko's relationship with Constanze, rather than Constanze herself. Whoops. Indeed, you could say that the audience comes out of this episode knowing basically as much about Constanze, her past, her aspirations, her interests, as we knew going in. This seems like a pretty fundamental failure.

The most successful version of this kind of episode is one where the side character that we are being introduced to has something they need to do, a conflict to overcome, a goal to meet. Maybe it's to with their family, their friends, someone they are romantically interested in. Basic story stuff. The central conflict in this episode is not about Constanze overcoming some personal difficulty or achieving some goal (that she did not already have). The conflict is that Constanze wants to be left alone to do a thing, and Akko won't stop bugging her. This conflict is essentially resolved as soon as Akko proves herself to useful as a courier service. The end. Oh, sorry, I forgot to mention they punch a ghost with a robot and Constanze makes a face. Roll credits.

What can we take away from this episode about Constanze? Almost nothing, because the show really treats her as a second fiddle to Akko .We rarely see any scenes purely from Constanze's perspective. We don't know anything about her inner world. Why did she want to be left alone before? What motivates her? What's her relationship with her parents? Why does she hang around with those other girls? The show doesn't raise these questions, let alone answer them, because it doesn't seem to actually care about Constanze. As a result, I can't care about her or anything that happens in this episode.

I feel that I can basically apply the same criticism to every time we 'visit' with a side character. You assume that, as the episode will revolve around them, that they will develop in some manner. That they will get less 'flat'. But that basically never happens and it's a real problem because one of the reasons you have a series this long is because it gives you a chance to develop and flesh out your cast in interesting ways. When that doesn't happen all you're left with is vaguely pretty fluff that fails to satisfy.

That's a larger failing of the show but does it really matter if the episodic content in of itself is entertaining? I don't mind if the show is essentially spinning its wheels if it's as fun as this episode. Compare that to episode (16?) which had Akko supposedly learning the value of patience but was an utterly dull affair.

The show's character writing in regards to how it fleshes out the side characters in a meaningful way is atrocious and that probably won't change. So in that case I think it's fine to have entertaining fluff essentially. Yes it's not an either/or type of situation but episodes like this which are mostly just everyone at Trigger having fun, aren't bad either.

I'm going to guess full blown super ecchi series given the direction fairy tale went in lol.

I hope not lol, I'll be super disappointed if he goes that way.

Tsukigakirei 6

This episode imo just showed just how strong of an impact words can have. Kotarou having is passion trampled on by both a publisher and his mom must have been so hard for him. Akane must have been his angel and vice versa. Also f*ck that publisher making the kid go all the way to meet him just to tell him he should quit literature to go into LNs? STOP.

I gotta say, these insert songs throughout the episodes are 10/10. Makes both normal and emotional moments so much stronger. Like that train scene with Kotaro looking outside and Akane cracking under having too much too think about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom