• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2017 |OT| Don't be a SukaSuka for Gacha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
yes...that must be it...that is why it is one of the best selling anime series of all time.

WZbIG9j.jpg

Instro

I like Kill la Kill and I like the main character.

But I think this is the 7th time we've had this little rodeo with the show, will anime threads ever be free of Trigger's unique piece of low brow high art.

Ask them how they feel about Toradora.

Aki-at

Sakura Quest - 6

So from one character having their own crisis to the Maki now, is this what formula the show might take for a few more episodes? I'm guessing Shiori is stopping the old house from being burned down because she has some childhood memories in it. Would have thought some of the towns folk would have been against a zombie film production in their village but guess it's an exciting thing with all the famous actors coming to town.

And 10/10 from the head of the tourism board with the rugby tackle as the zombie, he really wanted to make that bit part role count.

Ask them how they feel about Toradora.

Nice storyboarding but I disliked everything else by the end.

And Kill la Kill is better than it too!

Yama no Susume S2 20

This episode was almost entirely Kokona taking a walk through various locations and various mundane things happening to her. And it was awesome. I have a real love for this sort of minimal-dialogue tale that simply observes a character existing in their environment. Perhaps it's because modern life is so high-octane and stressful that it's good to be reminded of how wonderful it is to take time to simply be.

I thought about watching LWA 18, but I decided not to after looking at the screencaps. Yeah, those. You know! The one with the cool mecha on it!

Normally that'd have me racing to watch the episode but then it hit me like a ton of bricks to my face on how it was all going to go down.

I'd get all excited over some good 2D robot sakuga and jump up and down about how good it feels to see a good mecha thing again and we'd all forget about it like it was nothing of significance.

This exact same thing happened with Flip Flappers episode 8 and one particular episode of Active Raid that I can't be bothered to remember the number.

I'm feeling taunted here. It's honestly painful at this point, seeing great 2D Super Robot animation WASTED on one-off forgettable tributes to a subgenre of mecha from a bygone age.

I want to see 2D super robot animation from a full-length 2D Super Robot show. Not some random episode of a show with a plot that has nothing to do with super robots.

It's like the anime industry is continuously whispering in my ear: "Original Super Robots are dead, that's your lot."

So I'm not going to entertain those kinds of episodes with my enthusiasm anymore.

Tuck

Attack on Titan Rewatch - 1-31
Really enjoyed going through the show again, really reignited my love of the series. Should have done it before the second season started though, not after.

The four year gap between seasons somehow imprinted on my brain that there was a time skip between them of a few weeks, but nope - the most recent episode happens just a couple days after the Female Titan incident.

Going through the series again with the knowledge of the most recent reveal was super interesting. When I read the reveal in the manga, I was like "who the fuck are all these characters and why should I care?" but all of them - Ymir, Historia, Reiner, Bert - they've all been there from the beginning. They just didn't seem super important, but they were there, and their prior scenes all make sense with this new context.

Two things bugged me about the most recent reveal, in hindsight - the rest of the troop keeps walking long after Mikasa stops, and this looks a little awkward, especially because they do eventually stop but by that point should be too far to hear. Its a nitpick, I know. Also, the flashback occurs in a weird spot, kind of interrupting the "wdf" aspect of the twist. I'm not sure how it could have been better integrated though - maybe after the fight?

In all, it was a fun rewatch. The series has some crazy good action scenes, and the titans are awesome villains.

IIRC the manga (no spoilers, just impressions)
gets pretty stupid pretty fast
after this upcoming fight, so I'm not sure how the rest of the season will fare. But I have enjoyed the content of this season so far MUCH more than in the manga (where I couldn't tell what the fuck was going on), so maybe I'll change my opinion.

Jarmel

Banned
The Skull Man-
I finally got around to watching this show in the past few weeks as I've been meaning to start it for a few months now. Duckroll and somebody else here recommended it so I decided to give it a whirl. It's one of BONES more forgotten shows and I can see why. I wasn't impressed with the characters, art direction, animation, storyboarding, or general story premise. It's not a good thing when the ending of the show reminded me of Blood-C. I can see why some people like it, mainly due to the atmosphere, but I'm left apathetic to the anime as a whole.
I'm kinda surprised how mediocre the animation was, especially in an action series for BONES, but they were probably dumping all their resources into Darker than Black at the time. There's only a handful of notable cuts throughout the entire run. Not to mention the art direction being somewhat generic for its genre. I wasn't a fan of the character designs either as the staff went for a more realistic style and a problem was that the characters weren't distinctive enough and that there are a lot of them so it was difficult at times of keeping track who was who.
I didn't hate the show but I also felt zero interest in finishing it and almost dropped it on the eleventh episode. I just didn't feel a strong attachment to any of the characters other than camera girl (voiced by Seibah) and the plot itself wasn't intriguing enough for me.

The Skull Man-

I finally got around to watching this show in the past few weeks as I've been meaning to start it for a few months now. Duckroll and somebody else here recommended it so I decided to give it a whirl. It's one of BONES more forgotten shows and I can see why. I wasn't impressed with the characters, art direction, animation, storyboarding, or general story premise. It's not a good thing when the ending of the show reminded me of Blood-C. I can see why some people like it, mainly due to the atmosphere, but I'm left apathetic to the anime as a whole.

I'm kinda surprised how mediocre the animation was, especially in an action series for BONES, but they were probably dumping all their resources into Darker than Black at the time. There's only a handful of notable cuts throughout the entire run. Not to mention the art direction being somewhat generic for its genre. I wasn't a fan of the character designs either as the staff went for a more realistic style and a problem was that the characters weren't distinctive enough and that there are a lot of them so it was difficult at times of keeping track who was who.

I didn't hate the show but I also felt zero interest in finishing it and almost dropped it on the eleventh episode. I just didn't feel a strong attachment to any of the characters other than camera girl (voiced by Seibah) and the plot itself wasn't intriguing enough for me.

It's a shame that you couldn't get into it. I like the show a great deal myself. From what I recall, I would agree that the production values are not particularly impressive - overall it has a real "early digital" look - but in my opinion the storyboarding and Izubuchi's writing are quite strong. Even though I didn't get all the tributes to Ishinomori, I found the story compelling.

Imaishi isn't Imagawa.

Imaishi had a stroke of genius one time when he made one of the greatest super robot shows ever made and has been trying to catch that lightning in a bottle again ever since.

Imagawa on the other hand is very consistent with the quality of his directing and writing, always bringing something new to the table while at the same time sticking true to the roots of Super Robots.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I was talking about the Leonardo Da Vinci part. Nobody cares about anime.

Jarmel

Banned
It's a shame that you couldn't get into it. I like the show a great deal myself. From what I recall, I would agree that the production values are not particularly impressive - overall it has a real "early digital" look - but in my opinion the storyboarding and Izubuchi's writing are quite strong. Even though I didn't get all the tributes to Ishinomori, I found the story compelling.

I feel that the storyboarding was a bit sporadic in its quality. There were some episodes that were pretty good such as episode 7 (Jin) and 11 (church revelations) but the overall level wasn't where I wanted it to be. Script-wise, this really just reminded me of Blood-C at a certain point, especially the finale with all the townspeople. I just kept expecting a bunny with a blender to pop up. Half the town being monsters was too much. The script was messier than I would have liked near the end and it felt kind of generic with the whole
villain wants to turn into a perfect being/god and rule over a new mankind blah blah blah
. The ending then being a huge swerve into
Cyborg 009
threw me off as it sets up a tons of plot points that it doesn't answer and it turns out this was supposed to be some
big prequel thing after all
. I also don't think some of the moments near the end are 'deserved' in terms of emotional impact especially
Hayato donning the Skull Man outfit

Szadek

Kirakira☆Precure A La Mode - Ep. 13-14
Both episode were very cute, the first on was about Himari,the other one about Aoi.
Himari got a lot better at sharing her passion for sweets as wella s talking to people in general.

Learning that Aoi has rich parents was quite the suprise.
The butler was a lot nicer than he appeared at the beginning of the episode.

Saekano Episode 5

Even though I hate erriri, It was still pretty horrible to watch her struggling. Hopefully she finishes the art and then she can dissapear for more scenes with kato and utaha.

KraytarJ

My hot take:
Toradora is terrible and Taiga is the most unlikeable character imaginable.

You want a hot take? Here's mine.

The Monogatari series is a confusing, scary, and uncomfortable mess.
3/4 of those are true, and that's why it's the best thing ever.

The anime GAF equivalent of MGS4.

Except KLK is actually good.

zulux21

My hot take:
Toradora is terrible and Taiga is the most unlikeable character imaginable.
but she is one of the only decent Tsundare characters in existence :p

but alas you are free to like what you want and hate what you want.

btw the most unlikeable character is the main character from cheeky angel, that or the man hater from working.... both are horrible characters, though the second one kept me from continuing a show I was otherwise enjoying. I like most of the cast of working, the one girl just makes it unwatchable :/

KraytarJ

Looking at the 2013 voting and I see that Second Season and Snafu were both snubbed. Not cool.

Edit: Log Horizon too. Not a single one in the top 10.

Quasar

Looking at the 2013 voting and I see that Second Season and Snafu were both snubbed. Not cool.

Edit: Log Horizon too. Not a single one in the top 10.

Hey. Log Horizon was my #2 that year :)

Snafu was in there too.

But really it was no contest for me to have Eccentric Family as my #1.

Of course in retrospect I'd want to reorder my vote a bit otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom